Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2014, 03:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

The Cripple of Inishmaan #3

The Cripple of Inishmaan

In honor of the dark comedy’s opening night, Broadway.com resident artist Justin “Squigs” Robertson penned this sketch of the cast, which in addition to Radcliffe as Billy, features Ingrid Craigie, Pádraic Delaney, Sarah Greene, Gillian Hanna, Gary Lilburn, Conor MacNeill, Pat Shortt and June Watson.

Happy Opening!!!

I'll fix this OP once I get back home and in my computer. Slow connection here. Unless Lina, you want to fix it up for me.

Last edited by baileycat; 04-20-2014 at 03:12 AM
baileycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:48 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I like how the artist did his legs.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

The professional reviews are in!!

"Inishmaan" Review: Daniel Radcliffe Appeals in Return to Broadway | NBC New York

[url=http://www.theatermania.com/new-york-city-theater/reviews/04-2014/the-cripple-of-inishmaan_68306.html?cid=homepage_news [/url]
Radcliffe gives a physically committed, sympathetic performance. You root for him and feel really bad for laughing at some of the funnier (and crueler) lines at his expense. "What was we talking about, Cripple Billy? Oh aye, your dead mammy and daddy," says Helen McCormick (Sarah Greene), the beautiful bully girl with a tangle of red hair who Billy secretly pines after. Greene endows Helen with a fierce spirit that is oddly compelling, considering her mean-girl nature. Billy's masochism becomes understandable, even if you can't help but laugh at him for it.

Talkin' Broadway Review: The Cripple of Inishmaan
But Billy remains at the heart of it all, and it’s a position Radcliffe is well equipped to occupy. Though nimble with the role’s comedy, he’s even stronger projecting the pathos that defines the boy best. Whether Billy is fretting over the parents he never knew to despairing of the life he’s facing to feeling — not without reason — he’ll die in an American hotel room that resembles a prison cell, Radcliffe paints a complete picture of someone who’s locked within an existence he didn’t create for himself and sees no doors to a better place.

For him and everyone else in The Cripple of Inishmaan, of course, things are not always as hopeless as they seem. McDonagh ensures that the journey of Billy and the rest is one of recognizing where true ugliness is and how it may be overcome. As Radcliffe and his cast mates strive toward that goal, they and Grandage create, not accidentally, one of the handsomest shows in town.

Broadway Review: ‘The Cripple of Inishmaan’ Starring Daniel Radcliffe | Variety
Giving a warm, sensitive performance, the grown-up teen idol leads an excellent cast in director Michael Grandage's sterling production.

Daniel Radcliffe in 'The Cripple of Inishmaan': Theater Review - Hollywood Reporter
As for Radcliffe, this adventurous young actor could be living idly of Potter revenues forever, but continues to stretch himself on the stage after doing impressive work in Equus and How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. His accent, at least to these ears, is no less convincing than the cast's Irish natives, and he's masterful at conveying a forlorn sense of solitude while firing off sly put-downs that illustrate Billy's underestimated intelligence.

'The Cripple of Inishmaan' is a strong-acted, atmospheric staging - am New York
3.5/4 stars

The Cripple of Inishmaan | Cort Theatre | Plays & Shows | Time Out New York
3/5 stars. The first somewhat negative review - not of the performances but the play itself as written.

The Cripple of Inishmaan Review: Daniel Radcliffe Back on Broadway | New York Theater

'The Cripple of Inishmaan' review: Daniel Radcliffe excels - Newsday

The Cripple of Inishmaan Stage Review | News Reviews and News | Stage | EW.com
A-

‘The Cripple of Inishmaan,’ theater review* - NY Daily News

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/21/th...ml?ref=theater

Theater Review: The Cripple of Inishmaan -- Vulture

'The Cripple of Inishmaan' Theater Review: Daniel Radcliffe Returns to the Stage - TheWrap

AP review, so it will show up in multiple publications.
The Killeen Daily Herald | Arts and Entertainment

Chicago Tribune

I think it's a hit!

Last edited by baileycat; 04-21-2014 at 03:39 AM
Old 04-21-2014, 08:48 AM
Fan Forum Legend

for the good reviews. I love how all 3 of Dan's plays have been well reviewed.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Dan's dressing by vulture.com

Daniel Radcliffe, The Cripple of Inishmaan, Cort Theatre

What’s here: “I have a pillow my mom’s friend had made which has GOOD LUCK DAN in Gaelic and the island of Inishmaan on it. Plus Ricola, Listerine, and foam massage rollers. On How to Succeed, I learned when you’re doing a show eight times a week you’ve got to take care of your body.”

Plus some gifts: “My character talks quite a bit about cows—there’s a running joke—so I’ll probably end up with a lot of stuffed cows and bells. When I did Equus, I got horses, which I don’t understand because my character had a pretty weird relationship with horses. And the artwork you get at stage door is sometimes amazing and sometimes scary. People draw my eyes massive—sometimes I think, Jesus Christ, I look like anime.”
Old 04-22-2014, 07:23 AM
Fan Forum Legend

His dressing room is surprisingly neat.

at what he said about his eyes in art work.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:43 AM
Fan Forum Star

Daniel Radcliffe's 'Crippled' Role Reaches Out To The Remote : NPR

To listen to it I had to download the link. The player isn't working for me.

Last edited by baileycat; 04-22-2014 at 07:50 AM
Old 04-22-2014, 05:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
When Daniel Radcliffe makes his first appearance, it's something of a shock; his left arm is lifeless, his left leg is locked straight, his body twists as he shuffles uncomfortably across the stage. Radcliffe is the title character in The Cripple of Inishmaan: Billy Claven, an orphaned 17-year-old boy whose parents drowned in a mysterious boating accident and who dreams both of love and of a better life.
I wonder how long it takes him to get out of character after the play is done after shuffling for 2.5 hours.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

I have no idea how long it takes for him to get out of character too but it might take some time since he's doing it so much.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:18 AM
Fan Forum Star

Critics Seem Relieved That Daniel Radcliffe's 'The Cripple of Inishmaan' Is Solid on Broadway : News : Classicalite

Review: ‘Velocity of Autumn,’ ‘Hedwig’ and ‘Inishmaan’ | New York Observer
Old 04-23-2014, 05:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Jeez, those reviewers seem to think very little of Dan.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

Dan and the play have a Drama League Award nomination!!!!

Denzel, Daniel, Neil among Drama League Award nominees
Old 04-23-2014, 08:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yay for his nomination and for the play's nom.

I know. The critics should think more of him.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:48 AM
Fan Forum Star

Well they come in with low expectations but come out completely impressed by his skills and talent. So its a positive!

I doubt he'll win the DL award because you can only win it once and there's like 30 other people up against him that have been doing theatre longer but DANG that's still impressive that they think that highly of him to include him with such greats. One day it will be his turn.

A couple of opening night video interviews that I haven't gotten around to posting because I was away during the Easter break.
http://www.theatermania.com/video/op...adway_605.html

http://www.broadway.com/videos/15544...opening-night/

Last edited by baileycat; 04-24-2014 at 05:16 AM
Old 04-24-2014, 06:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

How come the DL award is only won once?