Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2015, 10:22 PM
MST Manager

Shooting begins right after 4th July. Maybe it starts today.

Quote:
One of the hardest working folks in genre TV, Carlton Cuse is executive producer and showrunner on no less than three TV series currently in production: Bates Motel, The Strain, and Colony, his latest work, the first episode of which will premiere at this week’s San Diego Comic-Con 2015.

Colony stars Josh Holloway (best known for his role in Cuse’s most successful series, Lost) as a former FBI agent hellbent on protecting his family during the occupation of Los Angeles by an unknown invasion force. I spoke with Cuse and Holloway at this year’s Saturn Awards Ceremony in Burbank (where Holloway presented Cuse with this year’s Dan Curtis Legacy Award) about the future of Bates Motel (Season 4 of which premieres in 2016) and what we should expect from Colony when it debuts later this year…

Nerdist: What lies ahead for Bates Motel?

Carlton Cuse: [Executive producer] Kerry Ehrin and I are just starting out. We’re just getting going and planning for seasons 4 and 5. So we’re just in that very beginning stage. It’s really exciting. We have sort of a general plan that we’ve had for a while, and now we’re starting to fill and color that in. We’ll have two more seasons of ten episodes each.

N: At the show’s end, will we be up to the point where Hitchcock’s Psycho began?

CC: I think we’ll be up to the ending as Kerry and I have thought about it. That’ll be really awesome.

N: Where are you right now with Colony?

CC: We start shooting right after the Fourth of July.

N: How would you describe the show’s mix of genres?

CC: Basically, it’s about Los Angeles under colonization, by this mysterious powerful force. Josh plays a former FBI agent who now gets involved in working with the government and is also a family man. It’s a family story, it’s a thriller, it’s an espionage show with a dollop of science fiction.

N: With its overriding mystery, does it share some of the DNA of Lost?

CC: Well, it shares this DNA [indicating Holloway], so that part’s good. [Laughs.] And the world is very closed. The audience doesn’t get to see a lot of what’s happening in the world, and it unfolds. The curtain is right in front of the audience, which is very similar to Lost. I think it’s its own creation. We’re very excited about it.

N: Do you already know how the series will end?

CC: We have a detailed, multi-year plan… I think, like everything, a creative journey is about kind of having some ideas and then revising and adding and kind of continuing to expand your creative vision as time goes on.

N: Josh, how would you describe your character?

Josh Holloway: Will Bowman, he was an FBI manhunter before the world got turned upside down. But ultimately at his soul he’s a family man. He has a family that he loves very much and would do anything for. So that’s basically what happens. He will do anything for his family and he’s faced with that question, so he has to do that. [Laughs.]

N: At this point in your life do you find this guy especially easy to relate to?

JH: Yes. Very much so. Being a parent, yes. And a big part of what drew me to this project was my understanding of this character. Have kids if you want to be a better actor. Have kids — things get deeper! [Laughs.]

Holloway and Cuse, as well as Colony‘s executive producer Ryan Condal and co-stars Sarah Wayne Callies, Amanda Righetti, and Peter Jacobson, will appear at this week’s San Diego Comic-Con for a panel and autograph signing on Friday, July 10th, and a screening of the show’s pilot episode on Saturday, July 11th.
Exclusive Comic-Con Preview: Carlton Cuse and Josh Holloway on the Future of BATES MOTEL and COLONY | Nerdist
Old 07-06-2015, 05:51 AM
Moderator Support Team

thanks
icon by
Old 07-06-2015, 01:27 PM
MST Manager

Legendary Television has its own Colony page with these pics. I hope the first pic is not too big for this board.

Colony | Legendary
Old 07-07-2015, 03:02 AM
MST Manager

A tweet from Amanda Righetti.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:18 AM
Moderator Support Team

thanks Julie
icon by
Old 07-07-2015, 08:42 AM
MST Manager

TV Insider article. I love the pic.

Quote:
Back when Carlton Cuse was running Lost, with fellow showrunner Damon Lindelof, one of his “favorite parts” of the job was writing for Josh Holloway’s con man role, Sawyer. “He’s a fairly reviled and despised character,” says Cuse, “and he ends up being this incredibly heroic, stellar guy by the end of the series. A lot of that was really driven by what Josh brought to the table as an actor.” So after Lost ended in 2010, Holloway and Cuse, who had become friends during the series, stayed in touch. “Carlton and I,” says Holloway, “we’ve always been talking about doing another project together.”

And now, after working apart for quite a bit— including Holloway’s stint last year on the short-lived CBS drama Intelligence and Cuse’s current workload of A&E’s Bates Motel and FX’s The Strain—they’ve finally found a joint venture in USA’s new sci-fi drama, Colony.

The series (which premieres this fall) is set in the near future, and Los Angeles is occupied. Holloway plays Will Bowman, a former FBI agent coerced into hunting down members of a resistance movement. But who they’re resisting isn’t yet clear. “Obviously, there’s some group that has significantly superior technology,” says Cuse who created the show with Ryan Condal, “but who exactly they are is one of the show’s mysteries.”

One thing that is quite clear, though, is the tension between Will and his wife, Katie, played by Sarah Wayne Callies (The Walking Dead). The couple has three children but one went missing when the initial occupation occurred. “Josh’s character blames himself,” says Cuse. “And he thinks that Sarah’s character blames him. She doesn’t, but that marital and emotional discord between the characters is a big part of the pilot.”

“Working with Sarah, we’ve known each other for a long time,” says Holloway who appeared with Callies in the 2007 film Whisper. “She was the right person for the job, and I was super psyched to get her. She has a weight to her that is palpable.”

An original concept, engaging characters, all very important elements in launching a series. But then there’s the real important stuff—like the length of Holloway’s hair. “After I finish a project, I let this mop grow until my next project so they’ll have a palate to work with,” he says. But, ironically, he wanted to go super-short, like he had for Sabotage, the 2014 film he did with Arnold Schwarzenegger. “That’s what I really wanted to do, is shave my head,” he says, “but Carlton and [the other producers] were like, ‘Yeah—no, not this time.’”

“There’s kind of a renegade bad boy quality that Josh has with the longer hair,” says Cuse, “and I love when Josh is playing that kind of character, and I felt like that was something that really fit for Colony.”

Hoping for the right fit with fans, USA will be screening the pilot at San Diego’s Comic-Con International, at the nearby Horton Grand Theatre, on Saturday, July 11. Before that, a panel discussion with the cast and producers will be held on Friday, July 10.

And while there will be plenty of Colony questions, no doubt there’s a chance that a long-simmering Lost inquiry might pop up. “It makes me very happy that people remain passionate about Lost, [but] I think the show is so much better served by allowing people to draw their own conclusions,” Cuse says. “Life goes on, and I couldn’t be more excited about Colony, and I hope people will embrace it and become passionate about Colony in the way that they did about Lost.”

First Look: Josh Holloway Reunites With Lost Boss Carlton Cuse for USA Network’s Colony | TV Insider
Old 07-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Moderator Support Team

thanks
icon by
Old 07-07-2015, 10:55 AM
MST Manager

Cool.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:10 AM
Moderator Support Team

interesting
icon by
Old 07-08-2015, 06:14 AM
MST Manager

Colony has started filming.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:42 AM
Moderator Support Team

thanks for the pic
icon by
Old 07-08-2015, 12:41 PM
MST Manager

Colony has a website and a Twitter account. The website has sound effects.

COLONY

https://twitter.com/ColonyUSA

Sarah Wayne Callies' Instagram.

Filming info from Calendar - On Location Vacations

Colony will film at Lorraine Blvd, LA, CA 90005 on 10th July from 7am to 10pm.

Last edited by Sulieter; 07-08-2015 at 12:48 PM
Old 07-08-2015, 10:25 PM
MST Manager

Some Colony articles.

Colony: Free Uber Rides for Comic-Con Attendees Thanks to USA Show | Variety

USA Network and UBER Partner To Create Transportation Stunt At Comic-Con for New Drama Colony »

Carlton Cuse travels from 'Lost' to 'Colony'

It looks like Colony will debut in September.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:23 AM
Extreme Fan

Can't wait for the whole photoshoot!
Old 07-09-2015, 03:07 AM
MST Manager

It should be great.