Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-04-2005, 06:10 PM
Part-Time Fan

I think the show only shows a portion of what life is like in the OC. They weed out the everyday boring stuff, and put together all the drama cus thats what viewers wanna see. You can't really trust what you see on MTV.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelleigh
I think the show only shows a portion of what life is like in the OC. They weed out the everyday boring stuff, and put together all the drama cus thats what viewers wanna see. You can't really trust what you see on MTV.
Bringing this over from another thread:

There are various LB message boards and other unofficial sources -- Meaning, people who live in LB and know these kids first hand -- That all say the following things (in no particular order):

1) The show is heavily staged. It may not be scripted like a movie or play... But MTV does a lot of "instigating" to get the kids to interact when they normally would not.

Prime example: During S1 when Stephen took Kristin to the Blink 182 concert... He was sincerely trying to avoid Lauren... But MTV found out and then gave Lauren (and everyone else) free tickets just to be sure they'd be there, hence, so more "drama" could unfold.

This tactic isn't something that is specific to LB, either. MTV is notorious for "staging" their shows this way. The Real World is another huge example where a lot of the confilcts and drama you see is "forced" when it normally would not exist.

2) As part of the instigating... The original concept of LB... That was actually thought up by Lo's mom... Was to chronicle Beverly Hills high school seniors trying to get into college. Of course, when "The O.C." became a huge hit, MTV immediately switched to the LB area just so they could market it with the "Real Orange County" label.

The concept was still just going to be chronicling wealthy high school students trying to get into college... But then they found out about the triangle between Stephen/Lauren/Kristin, they decided to make that the focal point... And it paid off as this is what the demographic whom watches MTV would probably rather see than just smart, well-to-do kids trying to get into college since LB was MTV's highest rated reality show last year and a strong leader this year already.

3) The original S1 cast really were (are) not as close as the show portrays.

There are reports that MTV just created this core group based on the best looking kids who auditioned and who could fit the role that needed filling like The Best Friend (Lo); The Activist (Trey); The Virgin (Christina), etc, etc.

Reports are MTV went so far as to even have "Friend Time" -- Where the kids would get together and get to know each other better -- Because these weren't "best friends" like the show portrays through editing.

SIDE NOTE: As a consequence, a lot of the kids featured in S1 are trying to live down the show because it is nothing like their real lives and MTV basically lied to them on how they were going to portray them.

Again, this is common among MTV reality show cast members as Real World and Road Rules cast members are no stragers to this and many have said they now regret ever doing those shows because they aren't taken seriously, or are prejudged in the real world based soley on how they are portrayed in the shows.

The reason I went into all of these things is not to try and destroy anyone's enjoyment of the show.

Honestly.

However, viewers should know exactly what they are watching because MTV, imo, does lie -- to the audience -- When they say this show is completley "real" and "unscripted" when it is obviously not just from how it is shot... But then if you dig deeper, you see how "unreal" the show really is.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Addicted Fan

Yah I know people from Laguna and I go there a lot because I live like half an hour to an hour away, and we're all just pretty chill. Their drama isn't really because of their location, I think it's just high school. I mean, I see that kind of stuff @ my school, and it's not in the most glamorous location.
"If it’s not real you can’t hold it in your hand. You can’t feel it with your heart, and I won’t believe it."
Old 09-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by miSStakentriSh
I live in Orange County. And my life definitely ISN'T like theirs.
Whoa, I never knew you lived in Orange County Trish. But then again I'm always some-what slow when it comes to these things.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Extreme Fan

I think some things like the Blink concert are planned and like them knowing when someone is calling or stuff like that. But as far as relationships I think that stuff is pretty real, you can't fake friendship not that close anyway... at least to me. And I think they do weed out alot of stuff but to me no one every seemed obessed with having money or anything like that....it was just something they had. No one every seemed to brag to me.

avi:Babss
Old 09-05-2005, 05:22 PM
Master Fan

I think that most of the stuff thats aired is just edited. Its probably planned but I dont think that MTV makes them say anything. They probably set up a situation so drama WILL happen. Example: the blink concert. Thats my take on it.

Jessica av by Undeniable
Old 09-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Master Fan

UnsilentMajorty, Thanks for bringing that over.

I do agree that it is highly edited and very staged, but I still love it

I think MTV, on filming days, will "encourage" them to talk about something. That's why they are always asking, "So how are things with Stephen?" or something of that nature. MTV wants the drama to come out in every scene, so they encourage the conversation.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Master Fan

^ I totally agree with you.

Jessica av by Undeniable
Old 09-06-2005, 01:34 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
i'm from orange county, ca, so i've got several stories about the laguna beach cast. i'll start with the smaller ones first.

1) my little brother went to a party where two of the girls were there (i wish he knew which ones they were.. he doesn't really watch the show) and he said they both were bitches.

2) i went to lake arrowhead with my co-workers on a staff retreat. there's only this one little town right next to the lake where all the docks are. i saw this guy walking around the parking lot and thought he looked familiar. we started walking on the path along the water and i saw the guy again, and i realized it was deiter. he and a girl were walking out to their private boat, and he called back to one of the shops: "lauren!" i looked over and it was LC and jason (is that his name? whoever the jerk is that went out with that crazy girl who wouldn't dump him even though he was cheating on her). no one else from the show was there, so it looks like those two have gotten pretty close.

3) one of my best friends there graduated from laguna beach high school in 2004, with lauren, LC, stephen, etc. so of course i grilled her for info.

just as some background (if you didn't know..) the original plan was to actually go into the high school and do the reality show, but lbhs wouldn't allow it, so the producers reconfigured the premise and found kids who wanted to be on the show. so it's a very carefully calculated show.

aja (my friend, whose known all those kids since kindergarten) said that no one really calls the laurens LC and lo.. only their extremely close friends and that mtv just decided to exploit the nicknames to make it easier to know who was who. when i asked aja's friend if people actually called her LC he said, "no.. i like to call her 'kick in the head' because she's one of the dumbest people i've ever met." she and her friend also thought the whole LC/kristen/stephen triangle was really funny because while there WAS something there, mtv totally exploited it and made WAY too much out of it. her friend said, quote, "stephen is a ****ing douchebag. those two girls are like the only two people who have liked him, ever."

aja also said it was really weird because mtv was at like EVERY party of her senior year, filming, but they used absolutely none of the footage. basically, the majority of laguna beach teenagers are pot and cokeheads, but of course they can't use any of that footage. she also said the reason the girls are so skinny is because of coke.

it's kind of funny, because laguna beach was originally a gay artists colony, and it still retains kind of an artsy, hippy vibe. the biggest tourist attractions there are art-related, so it's ironic that people think it's this swanky, fashionable place now. i guess the entire town was completely against the show, and when they mentioned it at graduation, everyone was booing. and the characters get booed like walking down the street.

i think that's all i've got.
Source : OHNoTheyDidnt
Old 09-06-2005, 02:06 AM
Extreme Fan

do you reckon though that people would watch it if it was 100% real...dont you think that would be a bit boring
Old 09-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Banned

I live in OC 15 mins from LB............ ask me anything
Old 09-06-2005, 09:51 PM
Addicted Fan

It's funny because I believe that when they first started to market the show I remember them marketing LB as a show that was "staged but unscripted" i.e. we put these people together give them various scenarios but not specific "lines".

And my friend had a hard time convincing me that the people were real and that it was a reality show. So now I feel vindicated. I knew there had to be some sort of audition process and having things be set up. But I still like watching the 2nd season.

I feel like the 2nd season is less staged cause last year we saw Jessica as just "Kristin's friend" and now she has a more prominent role so I think this season there is probably less that needs to be staged, at least with the Jessica/Jason/Alex triangle.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Extreme Fan

One reason I don't believe it is real is because last year here in the Laguna area, we got more rain than Seattle during Christmas and January, and yet in the show, its all sunny the entire time, they don't even show the overcast days at the beach, because Laguna isn't really THAT perfect. I think most of the show is scripted.

And yes, I'm in the living in 15 minutes from Laguna region too.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:21 AM
Master Fan

I just found this...the writer is cynical about how 'real' it is to...

Quote:
Jess, Say No!

On ''Laguna Beach,'' Jessica lets Jason play with her heart and play the field; meanwhile, the show itself cynically plays with its fans' affections by Timothy Gunatilaka

It's fitting this episode is titled ''You Can't Trust Him,'' because there's some trouble brewing. Yes, beloved Laguna Beach, you've got some 'splainin' to do. I just feel like you're not being honest with us anymore.

Perhaps last week's discussion board has influenced me, but didn't this episode just seem far phonier than any episode before? Alex M. and Taylor's beach run-in with Talan and Jason was too convenient, the boys' practical joke on the girls too easy, and there's no way Jess is actually this dim, right? Even the cast members seem to be offering a knowing wink here and there.

But first, children, let's learn a little safety lesson: When your alarm goes off and you hear some sinister tapping at your windows, do not (DO NOT!) walk outside without a care in the world. Or a bat. And yet, during poker night, there went Morgan and girls. Following a warning from the alarm company and from Morgan's father, and after seeing some blood on a window, they moseyed outside with more cheer than fear to check out the hubbub. And you boys, if you find it funny to play Scream with your gal pals (I'm talking to you, Cedric and Jason) — donning ski masks, skulking in the dark, and setting off some supposedly top-notch security system — you best be packing some Kevlar because you never know who's packing the heat. Boys, you will be shot. That is, unless you're on a reality show. The prank worked out all too effortlessly, and the girls' dialogue suggested they we're in on it too.

Casey: ''It's a scary world out there.''

Alex M. [quite cynically]: ''Oh, and we live in Laguna. We have no idea.''

Jason's prank mainly provided him with a chance to flirt with Alex M. during Jess' night out with the ladies, during which Alex H., per Kristin's demand, had to get one boy's digits. (Alex: ''Can I get your number, just, randomly?'') Bah! Once again, the scene looked set up, and the lines sounded scripted, as if being fed to the cast members by someone off camera. Even our darling Lo, in her one scene this episode, behaved oddly. After she walked into LC's house and played with her hair, the camera suddenly panned away and we heard a Lo-like voice drone, ''Oh. Wait. I. Have. A. Question. What. Is. Up. With. Stephen?''

And to what is the questioner referring? If you recall at the end of last episode, there was some frisky towel tugging between Ms. LC and Mr. Stephen, which got us all hot and bothered but left us uncertain as to what happened. Not too far into this week's episode, we thought we get our answer: There the two were, all sleepy yet googly-eyed, preparing a pancake breakfast the apparent morning after. (Oh?) Then they started talking:

Stephen: ''So last night was good?'' (Oh my God.)

LC: ''We went to bed at four!'' (Omigod.)

Stephen: ''Last night was ridic...'' (O-mi-god!)

LC: ''Do you want whipped cream with it?'' (O-M-G! Wait. She was talking about their breakfast.)

But even here, LC seemed to be feeding Stephen with all the details of the night before, for he seemed to have forgotten, as if nothing had actually happened. Curious, no?

So what do you think? Setting aside overarching conspiracy theories, supposed on-set secrets only you know, and everyday hatin', didn't this particular episode seem a bit fake, even by LB standards? Also, did anyone else get a Bush-Rove vibe to Jess' declaration about Jason: ''Yes! If he cheated on me, and I had solid proof and evidence, then, yes, I would break up''? And finally, Casey's pink puffy jacket: Good, bad, ugly?
source
Old 09-07-2005, 08:56 AM
Banned

This year we had a ton of rain and it has rained on the show...........