Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 06:25 AM
Communications Team
the voices I'm kidding

Urban Legends #1: The Basis Of The Show

Women In White - Woman in White (also known as: The Weeping Woman, La Llounca) Folklore differs on the details of this tale, but one thing remains the same, a woman dressed all in white is seen and often heard. Varying from tales of a scorned lover haunting the riverbed where she drowned the children from her relationship with the unfaithful man in a fit of rage - to a woman hitchiking, often seeking a ride home (a few miles) and sometimes dispensing knowledge years in advance. In the show the woman had killed her children after discovering her husband's infidelity. Upon realizing what she had done she commited suicide herself and began haunting the road near her home, extracting revenge on men who have been unfaithful. She was afraid to go home and face the restless spirits of her children.

Wendigo - Wendigo ("When-De-Go") In the show a Wendigo is described as a human that becomes inhuman by cannibalism, some other folklore dictates that one becomes a wendigo by seeing a wendigo. In the cannibalism version, usually a native american, hunter, or miner who's tribe or group falls upon hard times where they are cut off from supplies and food. In order to survive the person feeds on their fellow tribesmen/hunters/miners, and over enough time of doing so begins to slowly change into the inhuman Wendigo. A Wendigo has supernatural speed and strength, and can mimic a human's voice. In some myth's it is said they can only be seen if looking directly at the witness, because they are too thin to see sideways. They collect their victims, keeping them alive in a dark area, to eat as they please during their hibernation. If they run out of human flesh they are known to scavernge from the woods, primarily eating moss. Myth's differ on the opinion of hairy versus bald, but all agree they are sallow and malformed, with yellowy eyes, long fangs, and a long tongue. The myth's say their heart is made of ice, and in order to kill the wendigo one must melt their icy heart.

Bloody Mary - Who can forget the scary story of Bloody Mary, the evil spirit who will scratch your eyes out when summoned? Most people heard the Bloody Mary legend when they were children, listening to spooky ghost stories around the campfire. The tale is still told at slumber parties, campouts, and late-night bonfire parties. The legend claims that the evil woman can be summoned by chanting "Bloody Mary" into a mirror anywhere from three to one-hundred times in a darkened room lit only by a candle. (Thirteen seems to be the most popular number of chants, appropriately so.) The bathroom is the most popular setting to test out the legend, but other dark rooms seem appropriate enough. After the given amount of chants, the spirit will then appear in a mirror and claw your eyes out and death will follow. Other variations have her driving you insane or pulling you into the mirror, never to be seen again. Who Bloody Mary really is remains a mystery. While there are many versions of this story, most accounts point to a woman named Mary Worth, who was horribly disfigured in a car crash. Some people still tell of a witch who was burned at the stake and has returned for revenge, or it the devil himself who comes for your soul. The research into Bloody Mary goes back to 1978, when folklorist Janet Langlois published her essay on the legend. Belief in summoning the mirror-witch was even at that time widespread throughout the U.S. Mary is summoned whenever squealing girls get together for a sleepover, but boys have been known to call on her too. (The 'Bloody Mary' legend was common when I was a kid in the early 1970s. We typically performed the "ritual" in bathrooms, because the bathrooms of our suburban homes had large mirrors and were easily darkened even during the day since they had no windows. A familiar 'Bloody Mary' story was one about a girl who supposedly ended her incantation with a spiteful "I don't believe in Mary Worth," then tripped over the doorjamb while exiting the bathroom and broke her hip.) Mary is said to be a witch who was executed a hundred years ago for plying the black arts, or a woman of more modern times who died in a local car accident in which her face was hideously mutilated. Some confuse the mirror witch with Mary I of England, whom history remembers as "Bloody Mary." An expanded version of that confusion has it that this murdering British queen killed young girls so she could bathe in their blood to preserve her youthful appearance. Mary I of England (1553-1558) was anything but a famed beauty terrified of losing her looks -- she was a matronly, fortyish woman who had about as much sense of style as a dust mop. The idea of her bathing in the blood of slaughtered virgins to preserve her loveliness is ludicrous. She came by the moniker "Bloody Mary" because she had a number of Protestants put to death during her reign, as she tried to re-establish Catholicism as the religion of the land after the reigns of her father (Henry VIII, he who married six wives over the course of his lifetime and established himself as the head of a new religion rather than tolerate the Pope's saying he couldn't divorce wife #1 to marry wife #2) and her brother (Edward VI, who ruled after Henry died but passed away himself at the age of 16). Mary was a devoutly religious woman who saw what she was doing as the saving of her subjects' souls from eternal damnation, and in those times — as crazy as this sounds now — the eternal wellbeing of a soul was deemed far more important than the comparatively fleeting life of a person. That bringing the country back to Catholicism would also safeguard her throne was also a major consideration. Mary I was the half sister of Elizabeth I (1558-1603). Both were daughters of Henry VIII, but Mary's mother was Katherine of Aragon and Elizabeth's mother was Anne Boleyn. Elizabeth I became Queen when Mary died, and she reigned for many years, coming to be called "The Virgin Queen" because she never married. Some muddlings of this "murdering queen" variant claim that Mary, Queen of Scots (1542-1567) is the "bloody Mary" of mirror summonings. Though this Mary was indeed a vain and foolish woman, history does not know her as a murderous one. (Well, okay, she did have a hand in doing away with a husband. But she didn't go after her subjects en masse, as did Mary I of England.) So, although there was a British queen known as "Bloody Mary," no connection between her and the mirror witch has surfaced, save for their both having the same name. Likewise, the "Mary Worth" appellation of the malevolent apparition doesn't appear to be drawn from the lead character of a popular comic strip of the same name. In lore, as elsewhere, coincidences occur. (The "bathing in blood" detail is traditionally attributed to Elizabeth Bathory, but of course her name was not "Mary.")

The avenging spirit goes by many names: Bloody Mary, Bloody Bones, Hell Mary, Mary Worth, Mary Worthington, Mary Whales, Mary Johnson, Mary Lou, Mary Jane, Sally, Kathy, Agnes, Black Agnes, Aggie, Svarte Madame. Summoning Mary requires the right chant. "I believe in Mary Worth" is the key phrase according to one version, but others require the shouting of "Kathy, come out!" or the repetition of "Bloody Mary" into the mirror as many times as the ritual demands. (Sometimes Bloody Mary gets more of a script and is summoned by calls of "Bloody Mary! I killed your baby!") The precise requirements of the ritual vary. Some specify that the mirror must be illuminated by a single candle; in others, there must be a candle on each side. In some versions, the message to Mary is repeated by just one girl who is either a volunteer or one selected by the others to summon up the mirror-witch. The number of chants needed to fetch Mary also varies. What the mirror-witch does upon arrival varies too. She may strike her summoner dead, drive her mad, or fiercely scratch her face. She may merely peer malevolently out through the mirror, or she may drag one of the girls back through it to live with her.

The Name Mary Means - The name of Mary is a name of salvation for those who are regenerated; it is the insignia of virtue, the honor of chastity, the sacrifice agreeable to God, the virtue of hospitality, the school of sanctity, a name altogether maternal." [St. Peter Chrysologus +450] Mary is a popular female name worldwide. It is possibly derived from either the ancient Egyptian name Mery, meaning 'beloved' or from the Hebrew name Miryam, thought to mean 'bitter' or 'rebellious.' Mary is the most popular female name in the United States. During the 1990 US Census, approximately 2.629% of females counted had the first name Mary. Patricia was a distant second at 1.073%. (The 1990 Census data showed that Mary is less popular than the most popular men's names (James 3.318%, John 3.271%, Robert 3.143%, Michael 2.629% of males), however.) According to the Social Security Administration, Mary was the most popular name for baby girls in the United States every year from (at least) 1880-1946 and again from 1953-61.The popularity of the name Mary has plummeted, however. In 2004, it was only the 63rd most popular name given to girl babies in the United States. Maria, the name equivalent to Mary in Danish, Dutch, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, and Swedish, ranked higher, being the 45th most popular name for girl babies in 2004.In Ireland and Spanish-language countries, Mary has also been a popular middle name for males - see Joseph Mary Plunkett for example or Josemarêa Escrivá de Balaguer. The male names Marius and Mario are of Latin origin and are not related to Mary.Additionally, مريم, is the name equivelant to Mary in Arabic and Persian, pronounced Mariam and Mar'yam, respectively. Mary is Miriam in the Hebrew and Arabic languages. A similar name in Japanese, Mari, means "eternal truth". There is a Mari in the Basque mythology, it has been syncretized with Mary, the mother of Jesus under the title Andra Mari ("Lady Mary") In Spanish, "mari-" in compounds can mean a generic woman, e.g. marisabidilla ("little wise Mary") means "pedant woman"; mariposa ("Mary, set down"), for "butterfly", or the internationalized marijuana.

Number 40 - The Hebrews spent 40 years in the wilderness before reaching the land promised to them by God. Moses fasted for 40 days before receiving the ten commandments on Mount Sinai.Jesus spent 40 days fasting in the wilderness in preparation for his ministry. In ancient story-telling, the number 40 often signifies "something beyond counting." That is why the Earth can flood in 40 days (little over a month) and why Ali Baba encounters 40 thieves. 40 is the number in between death/live you have to choose

Number 13 - On the simplest level this principle can be seen in number taboos. For example, in the American society most people considered the number 13 unlucky. Therefore, things connected with 13 are too be avoided such as the 13th day of the month, especially if it is a Friday, the 13th floor, 13 dinner guests, and so on. As a contrast in Belgium it is considered a good-luck charm for women to wear the number 13. The negativity of the number 13 is predominantly thought to have been derived from the Biblical narration of the Last Super where Judas was the thirteenth apostle. However, an earlier concept stresses its relationship to 12, a good number identified with the Zodiac, which had strong positive associations in Babylonian and other early astral mythologies.

Doppelgangers/Shapeshifters - Very frightening and extremely intriguing, is the legend of doppelgangers, who prey on their human counterpart. So what is a doppelganger? The term originated in Germany, meaning a "double walker," or "ghostly double" of a living person. Although there is no evidence or solid proof, there are many theories. One theory is that everybody has a body double. Of each, one is good and one is exceptionally evil. Assuming you are the good one, the other one is probably evil, and can be just an apparition trapped in another time or dimension. Legend has it that if you come face to face with your doppelganger, it's an omen or warning of death -- for both you and your twin. Because of this, if you see a replica of yourself, run for your life. If you keep seeing your doppelganger, chances are that your days are numbered, because you'll soon meet. There are many stories regarding encounters with doppelgangers, none of them pleasant. Often, a person does not actually see their own doppelganger, but someone else does. Can you be two places at once? No, but it's a very strange feeling when someone who knows you very well insists that they saw you just thirty minutes ago -- and you were nowhere in the vicinity. Imagine this happening time and time again and you'll soon go insane. Hence, the myth that a doppelganger will precede the arrival of the real person. Many stories explaining their experiences with these apparitions have this in common. Perhaps he's one step ahead of you?

Hook Man - A couple's late night make-out session is cut short when they hear a report on the car radio about an escaped killer (who has a hook for a hand) in the vicinity. The girl insists on being driven home immediately; upon arrival at her house, the boy discovers a bloody hook hanging from the passenger-side car door handle. According to popular lore, bloody hooks have been left hanging on car doors since the mid-1950s. It's possible the roots of legends like The Hook and The Boyfriend's Death lie in distorted memories of real life Lover's Lane murders. There were actual cases of kids who'd gone necking coming back in pine boxes. The residue of news stories about those events would likely remain around for a while, mutating into cautionary tales with the addition of bloody hooks and scraping sounds on the roof of the car. (Click here for a fine writeup of a series of Lovers Lane murders that happened in Texarkana in 1946.) The key to this legend is the boyfriend's frustrated response to the girl's demand to end the date abruptly. Almost invariably, he is said to have gunned the engine and roared away. This behavior is essential to explain how the hook became ripped from the killer's arm, and to underscore the moral of the tale. The boyfriend's frustration stems from sexual denial. His girlfriend's insistence on getting home right away puts the kibosh to any randy thoughts he'd been hoping to turn into reality that night, and he's some pissed about it. "The Hook" is a cautionary tale about teenage sexuality. Unspoken in the story is the realization that if the girl hadn't said no, hadn't insisted upon leaving right away, the couple would have been killed. Two close calls are averted that night: the fatal encounter with the killer, and "going all the way." Refusal to do one saves the pair from the other. Urban legends are often little morality plays designed to instill an important lesson about societal mores. "The Hook" is clearly one such tale, and its message is clear: teens shouldn't have sex. Moreover, it's up to the girl to apply the brakes. Though her boyfriend might be upset at the time, not long after he'll understand the wisdom of her refusal and thank her for it. Or at least so says the legend.
VOTE Katee Sackhoff
beyond insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Passionate Fan

Great idea for a thread, thanks for opening it!
it's really interesting!

Icon credit: -louise-
lolitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Communications Team
the voices I'm kidding

I thought of it when me and Sonya did our discussion of the eppy, over the weekend. I thought that it would be cool, because most of us are interested in this and history. We can talk about the legend itself and how the eppy did it
VOTE Katee Sackhoff
Old 09-14-2005, 11:24 AM
Passionate Fan

Yeah.... I'm really interest into that stuffa nd before seeeng the pilot I didn't know that urban legend, now with the show and what you put in the first post I know more and i like it cause I've always been interested in this kind of stuff.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Communications Team
the voices I'm kidding

Yeah for each week, I'm going to put the title into google and find that legend. Or like this week, the actually name

I think that I spelt something wrong in the title. Does it make more sense to put basis
VOTE Katee Sackhoff
Old 09-14-2005, 11:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Beautiful Angel, great idea for this thread. I've heard many times of La Llorana....very popular urban legend.

But was a bit confused on the whole "unfaithful" part the show added to the urban legend on the show. Never heard that part about it....
Old 09-14-2005, 11:33 AM
Communications Team
the voices I'm kidding

You can call Sarah, I had never heard of that legend. I think that it goes with it, because of the Spanish Lord being a player. In that sense, or do I not make sense
VOTE Katee Sackhoff
Old 09-14-2005, 11:38 AM
Supreme Fan

I loved the legend about the "Woman in White" or the "Weeping Woman" and for me this a double interest because I study medicine and love history (especially egyptian)

But as much as I love this kind of legends I don´t believe in it (and probably never will)
I work at a psychiatric clinic and I even talked with a woman who killed her kids, I´m a mother and for me it was really hard not to judge her but it´s my job and I have to listen so she told me and my superior about the reasons why she did it and she tried to explain all of it in her way and (this sound so unprofessional) I looked into her eyes and I felt like this woman wasn´t crazy she was dead, she looked like a dead person. I don´t belive in ghosts or other thinks like that but this woman made me belive that maybe something like that really could happen.

So "The Woman in White" is for me not so much a legend I think she is still alive somewhere, just waiting for the next victim....scared?

Icon Credit
Sonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Communications Team
the voices I'm kidding

I'm the same way, I don't believe in legends or myths. I love the ideas
VOTE Katee Sackhoff
Old 09-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonya
I loved the legend about the "Woman in White" or the "Weeping Woman" and for me this a double interest because I study medicine and love history (especially egyptian)

But as much as I love this kind of legends I don´t believe in it (and probably never will)
I work at a psychiatric clinic and I even talked with a woman who killed her kids, I´m a mother and for me it was really hard not to judge her but it´s my job and I have to listen so she told me and my superior about the reasons why she did it and she tried to explain all of it in her way and (this sound so unprofessional) I looked into her eyes and I felt like this woman wasn´t crazy she was dead, she looked like a dead person. I don´t belive in ghosts or other thinks like that but this woman made me belive that maybe something like that really could happen.

So "The Woman in White" is for me not so much a legend I think she is still alive somewhere, just waiting for the next victim....scared?
oh my gosh. But yeah i dont believe in these things but they're intresting stories
Kadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Addicted Fan

Yeah, I remember La Llorana from a spanish myths and legends class. I think the show did a very good job of using the whole woman in white myth. As for "unfaithful," in this particular legend...I think he was upper class and she wasn't so she was his girl on the side...they fell in love, got married in secret?, had kids and he kept promising to marry her for real out in the open but he married someone else (rich). Or atleast that's the way I remember it.
Jenndeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:31 PM
Master Fan

Interesting interesting...great idea for a thread.

I love Urban Legends.I don't know if I believe them,but they're just plain cool.

thinking maybe you'll get it back and then you realize it's just gone.
banner: Brittany
DreamOn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

Creepy legend. So they are gonna do a different legend every episode?
Old 09-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Passionate Fan

I don't believe inthem either, but I just love the idea...Sometimes they're kindof funny and other times they kind of freak me out even thought I don't believe int hem...

Old 09-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Dedicated Fan

ooh scary legend, urban legends r really interesting its awesome that there using them for the show i love it this is a great idea for a thread!
naleyscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top