Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2008, 04:18 AM
Absolute Fan

Harvelles Appreciation #2 ~ It's Called the Awesome Gene!

Banner made by Folie

Supporters List

1.andre silva
2.Folie
3.Marcus
4.-cuckoo bananas-
5.Ghost.Of.You
6.TV fan xx
7.FreedomsBullets
8.CappieTauLove
9.LOTRloyalist
10.Dean&JoFan
11.!True&Love!
12.karate0kat
12.ella_jullian

Banner made by Folie

Videos

YouTube - Love Shack (An Ode to Harvelle's Roadhouse)
YouTube - Supernatural: Harvelle's Roadhouse
YouTube - Supernatural (Ellen/Jo) - Meds
YouTube - Supernatural: The Roadhouse - Cheers Style!
YouTube - Dean, Jo and Ellen- Cleaning this gun

Previous thread:http://www.fanforum.com/f222/harvell...hter-62830249/

Last edited by andre silva; 06-22-2009 at 01:38 PM
Old 05-31-2008, 03:30 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the new thread Andre!

May I suggest you add a link to the Previous thread in the intro for easy access and reference?
(and maybe delete that extra "center" tag there too )

~~~
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomsBullets
The thing that made the Roadhouse so great for me was that it not only backed up the idea of a hunter community, but it showed it to us.
Definitelly! It was one of the more promicing aspects of the Roadhouse and one that I think was hardly even explored and that they hardly ever attempted to explore.

Again it comes back to never having the boys ever really function in the Roadhouse.
We never saw them spent any time there. They could have very well started a hunt from there, met a couple more hunters who were having a pit stop etc.
To claim it didn't work when you never really used it in it's full extent is a hasty accusation to make IMO.
And I think that had they used the Roadhouse more in that capasity, and by extension had the Roadhouse crew existed beyond their interaction with boys, their potential might have been more prominent.
And yes, I am referening more specifically to Jo, who was the more "problematic" character of the bunch. Because Ash was quirky and Ellen was a mother figure and such features tend to get easier passes.
But a rather undetermined and unspecific character (even by her own creators) such as Jo, that had only been labeled as a "love interest," would have only benefited by being treated as a seperate character interacting with other random characters and that would help define her and her place within this universe.

And just a little OT bit from the last thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomsBullets
Meh, I always thought that things turned out better for the show when the creators didn't just drop things because of the fans, but that's OT.
I do agree with this, and here is where I do think Kripke makes a huge mistake. But there is a difference between listening to what your fans have to say and how they react to your storytelling, and just doing whatever it is you want to do, no matter what. That was my argument.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:51 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
We never saw them spent any time there. They could have very well started a hunt from there, met a couple more hunters who were having a pit stop etc.
To claim it didn't work when you never really used it in it's full extent is a hasty accusation to make IMO.
And I think that had they used the Roadhouse more in that capasity, and by extension had the Roadhouse crew existed beyond their interaction with boys, their potential might have been more prominent.
ITA with everything you said, especially the lack of time spent there. I know that one of the Jo complaints was that she was too present, which I can understand, but he could have showed the Roadhouse without Jo and let it develop as something all it's own. As much as I love Jo, I don't think that the Roadhouse needed her to exist nor does she need it. I would have loved the see some Winchesters/other hunters interaction. I love Winchester/Harvelle, but the Roadhouse could have proven invaluable if they had made other connections there.

Captain Ewevs: "You!? But we killed you!"
Boba Fett: "Yes, you killed me. And that made me very, very angry."
Old 06-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomsBullets (View Post)
As much as I love Jo, I don't think that the Roadhouse needed her to exist nor does she need it.
I agree. And actually I think that from the minute that they didn't let Jo really function and exist in the Roadhouse, as the Roadhouse on it's own, and only having her with the boys basically, keeping her there only did the character bad. Because that way she was just Ellen's daughter who had a crush on Dean. The end.
My main peeve is that Jo was never really explored as a character on her own right. She was only mostly there in relation to Dean, and as much as I love her and I love DeanJo it wasn't all that the character should be used for, nor was it the only thing she was good for.
And the way to showcase Jo as a character was to flesh her out, either by having her interact with more people in the Roadhouse, or by getting her out of there! Both those insidents would give her layers beause we would see how other people viewed, related and reacted to her, and especially if she was taken out of the Roadhouse, the Daughter Of Ellen shadow would be cast off (as was in BUaBS) which I do think was something that was holding the character back a little.

Quote:
I would have loved the see some Winchesters/other hunters interaction. I love Winchester/Harvelle, but the Roadhouse could have proven invaluable if they had made other connections there.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I had wanted to see Indy this weekend, but I was not feeling to well.
I hope this coming weekend.
It's fine that they wanted a recurring love interest for Dean, but make a character first with the love interest in mind. Don't create a character around the love interest. And especially don't release that Dean will be getting a love interest. That was so ridiculous, as if that was all Jo was. They could have said "The boys are going to meet another hunting family" or "there will be a new female character added to the show" anything would have been better!

Old 06-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Thanks for the new thread Andre!

May I suggest you add a link to the Previous thread in the intro for easy access and reference?
(and maybe delete that extra "center" tag there too )
You´re welcome!
Thanks for the heads up!
I´ve done it!

Quote:
And actually I think that from the minute that they didn't let Jo really function and exist in the Roadhouse, as the Roadhouse on it's own, and only having her with the boys basically, keeping her there only did the character bad. Because that way she was just Ellen's daughter who had a crush on Dean. The end.
My main peeve is that Jo was never really explored as a character on her own right. She was only mostly there in relation to Dean, and as much as I love her and I love DeanJo it wasn't all that the character should be used for, nor was it the only thing she was good for.
And the way to showcase Jo as a character was to flesh her out, either by having her interact with more people in the Roadhouse, or by getting her out of there! Both those insidents would give her layers beause we would see how other people viewed, related and reacted to her, and especially if she was taken out of the Roadhouse, the Daughter Of Ellen shadow would be cast off (as was in BUaBS) which I do think was something that was holding the character back a little.
Agreed!!
They really did all wrong with the rodhouse and the harvelles.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Dedicated Fan

New thread!!
Thanks for opening it!!
Old 06-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Absolute Fan

My pleasure!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:56 PM
Master Fan

I was rewatching some Roadhouse bits the other day and I noticed than usually what they had Ellen doing something random around the place, it was filling up the sugar jars!

Well okay... I'm exagerating. Twice they had her do that in the backround, but seeing as we saw the place and the people working there so little twice is two times too many! IMO

Just something I noticed....

Last edited by Folie; 06-04-2008 at 07:16 AM
Old 06-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Master Fan

Dude, what the heck? So hunters use WAY too much sugar, hmmm....

Old 06-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
I was rewatching some Roadhouse bits the other day and I noticed than usually what they had Ellen doing something random around the place, it was filling up the sugar jars!
I notice that too.
Jo is cleaning the tables in SS, Ellen cleans the sugar jars and they dont do anything more than that.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Dude, what the heck? So hunters use WAY too much sugar, hmmm....
Maybe it's so they have energy...
~~~
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre silva (View Post)
I notice that too.
Jo is cleaning the tables in SS, Ellen cleans the sugar jars and they dont do anything more than that.
That was one. The other was in ELaC, when Sam asks for the case's file from Ellen, she's holding the pitcher filled with sugar again.

Last edited by Folie; 06-05-2008 at 09:33 AM
Old 06-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Maybe it's so that have energy...
That MUST be it.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Absolute Fan

Some vid I found:

YouTube - Supernatural - The Harvelle Women/Sin Wagon
Old 06-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Master Fan

Cute vid Andre! Thanks for pasing it over!

You know what I'd really like, a flashback (or at least a fnafic) that explores Ellen and Jo's POV when the boys first came to the roadhouse.
I think it would have been pretty cool to see the scene from their eyes....
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top