Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008, 02:27 AM
Master Fan

Good point, Folie. Really, all we got were a few disgruntled looks and bothered quotes from the boys in regards to her general existence of bitchitude. Her character just didn't blend well with them, seeing how dumbing down the boys and OOCing the crap out of them was required to make her appear a somewhat purposeful asset to the show. It was painful to swallow her treating Sam and Dean like she did, only to miraculously see them still feel the need to assist her or let her assist them(with a personal agenda) in their quests. Urrgh.

Dean so should have shot her when we had the chance. Whether it was in public or not!

Icon
Old 08-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IScream4Dean (View Post)
Folie I feel you on the sarcasm here is a meter, no doubt Bela will push it to the limit

Yup! That seems about right!

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

love the sarcasm meter
Thor/Loki Charles/Erik Kirk/Spock Zachary/Chris Dexter/Deb Nev/Max Thorin/Bilbo Neal/Peter John/D'avin Thomas/Newt Conrad/Devon Stiles/Scott Richie/Eddie
Old 08-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Elite Fan

nice sarcasm meter

av
Old 08-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPF40 (View Post)
Her character just didn't blend well with them, seeing how dumbing down the boys and OOCing the crap out of them was required to make her appear a somewhat purposeful asset to the show.
Exactly! I think one of the biggest issues about her was trying too hard to make her fit in and seem useful (which I would also say is why the writing ended up being so bad).
And I maintain they didn't need to tie her in the main mythology in order to excuse her appearance. It might have worked for Ruby on some extent, but it's not a characteristic you need for every character in order for them to work out (and again there are several exaples of that on the show too). Also I need to point out that especially because Bela had a place in the hunting world she logically shouldn't have been hard to fit in.
In the end it's all in the route they chose to put the character on, focusing on everything that was unappealing about her, underlining those things everytime without giving anything more, without giving any explainations for it, showing us nothing to it's proof and more importantly, as we have already mentioned several times, all the OOCness just so Bela can look better.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:13 AM
Master Fan

^Ya its just bonkersw that the writing was so poor with such potential, I'll never understand the logic, so much time wasted forcing Bela rather then use what she was meant for as a thief and she obviously had knowledge of the demon/supernatural world so she could easily fit into the story lines without over shadowing everything.

I think we could all use that sarcasm meter at times.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:29 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IScream4Dean (View Post)
^Ya its just bonkersw that the writing was so poor with such potential, I'll never understand the logic, so much time wasted forcing Bela rather then use what she was meant for as a thief and she obviously had knowledge of the demon/supernatural world so she could easily fit into the story lines without over shadowing everything.

I think we could all use that sarcasm meter at times.
I know, and that's what's really so disappointing, the wasted potential. I just wished they eased her into the storyline, gave her much better materails as a character instead of forcing Bela on the viewers, which would really cause such a violent reaction in some fans

av
Old 08-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Master Fan

The whole shoehorning her into storylines and episodes added with the fact that from the moment she was brough on she wasn't very useful in the story anyway and she was just around to annoy the boys with her tude was what went wrong. If they bothered to organically fit her in a storyline or two, and left the character develop on her own instead of forcing her into a mold they didn't even justify how could they have expected her to work out? I mean seriously!

I think the sarcasmeter could be put in the intro post. It would be rather handy!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Master Fan

Oh yes definitely Bela was way too rushed and in your face, which was a huge part of the problem, and with a show like this with dedicated protective fans like us, you cant just BAM!! throw a newbie chick in the mix without letting us warm up to her first.

Just like with Meg, oh I hated her guts at first, but as the storylines progressed I had come to like her spunk esp in Shadows, I was like damn this chick is hardcore, I did not accept her overnight as she was making the boys life miserable but I started admiring her once I understood her more.

Hey thats a great idea to add the sarcasm meter to the OP, I'll do it later as I have some other things I never added as all warnings should be up front when it comes to barfarific, annoying,sucktacular, no nonsense, scene stealing Bela ok I need to calm down, someone reset the meter
Old 08-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Master Fan

^Breathe, Jaye, breathe. Exactly, they needed to take things a little slower and gradually fit her into story lines where she wouldn't have stuck out like a sore thumb and achieved nothing but annoying the hell out of us. Her character really didn't have any progress from her first episode. It would have been nice if they had let us get used to her before bluntly declaring her an immediately eminent character to the show.

Icon
Old 08-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Master Fan

Desperatelly forcing reccuring (at best) characters in a regular capasiry doesn't work.
I think a much better tactic would have been if they merelly had kept her on reccuring guest star (as they had originally planned) for and episode or two more, and uped her status next season if she had worked in those few.
But noooo!
The network wanted more girls, one female regula wasn't enough. I'm not oposed to female characters on the show at all, but there is a right way to go about it and with Bela TPTB didn't opt for it, even though they had the chance.
The argument to the network should have been that an extra reccuring female character is more than enough estrogen for the show considering its format. Especially a character that can only be digested in small doses!
Old 08-22-2008, 11:11 PM
Master Fan

why dont they get that females leads do not work for the long haul, Bela should never have been introduced as such without a test drive and even then yes recurring at best, I would not want to see her face on a regular basis any way. The show is about bros not hoes, overstepping will just cause frustration, fine if females are on the show but back it up need only be in a ep a few times for the duration of the season.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:00 AM
Master Fan

^Agreed. What's wrong with just the boys? This is just me but, I've learned from Bela that I definitely do not need a female lead to entertain me on this show. Sam and Dean do just fine on their own without some overplayed, yet, underdone nagging bitch following them around.

Icon
Old 08-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Master Fan

I don't agree that long term female presences are not needed on the show, however I do find that there is usually a problem with the way they are written (especially the younger non supernatural related ones - mommy figures and ghosts, demons, monsters do generally well).
I believe that looking at it objectivelly the ideas and/or consepts behind the ones who failed could keep them on the show more without it losing any of it's essence.
Case in point, again Bela who, with supposedly being a thief with connections and a different midset than a hunter, didn't have to be an annoying useless nuance, she was writen that way because it was cute and (faux) badass.

Last edited by Folie; 08-25-2008 at 04:27 AM
Old 08-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Master Fan

I am not an advocate for females on the show I dont see it for long term, the focus needs to stay on the main characters, its ok so shift every now and then but also its not necessary. But true the main problem is the way females are handled for some reason it seem the writers feel she has to be some badass, know it all, insulting chick. Bela was played up then shot down as it she not lead up to the expectation, thats why I feel its best to leave well enough alone, if it aint broke dont fix it.

Nella I feel ya for sure regarding some bitch tagging alone following the boys around, they will just get in the way and become annoying, its just hard overall to make it work, its not impossible but I can do without them, Bela had the tools, but ending up only looking like a fool, hehe I rhymed