Moderator Support Team

15x20/21 "Carry On" Series Finale Episode Discussion Thread

15x20/21 “Carry On”
Episode Discussion

Last edited by Sweetgirl465; 11-19-2020 at 06:11 PM
Sweetgirl465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

In the end it was everything I’ve wanted sine day one so it was perfect...I didn’t need anything more or less...
Thor/Loki Charles/Erik Kirk/Spock Zachary/Chris Dexter/Deb Nev/Max Thorin/Bilbo Neal/Peter John/D'avin Thomas/Newt Conrad/Devon Stiles/Scott Richie/Eddie
ocfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

This episode destroyed me. I can't even form a full opinion of how I feel. I don't even know if I love or hated it, I am in a division with myself at the moment so I'll let this episode process a bit more.
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:49 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalfate (View Post)
This episode destroyed me. I can't even form a full opinion of how I feel. I don't even know if I love or hated it, I am in a division with myself at the moment so I'll let this episode process a bit more.
I feel the same. Like I don’t hate it but I’m so conflicted. I think I mightn’t have preferred them both dying. I don’t even know what I am right now. I’m all over the place.
Cmtaylor531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:55 PM
Master Fan

It has been a loooong time since I came here to post. This was where I gushed over Supernatural. I created threads here and I loved these characters with other fans on here. But then I stopped watching around season 10 or so due to the overwheling angst. But when U heard season 15 was going to be the last season, I managed to binge watch 5 seasons (with a little help from a global pandemic) and I caught up to watch the finale live. It was everything I expected and it still surprised me.

It began with everything a Sam and Dean fangirl has always adored about Monster of the Week episodes; a little down time with the boys. The little scenes where they do normal things like wash dishes and do their laundry - I live for those scenes. During mytharc episodes, it's always high stakes drama but the stand-alones allow Sam and Dean to slow down a bit and do what they're comfortable with. Saving people and hunting things. Also, Dean adopting the dog and the shirtless Sam fanservice wasn't half bad either!

After the pie festival and some creampie shennanigans (heh), they had to hit us with the hunt gone wrong scenario. And it had to be vampires. It was weird that they brought back a character from season 1 (Dead Man's Blood) for less than a minute cameo. I assume it was to tie in the familiar; the old cases they used to do in the first season. And I guess they had the actress on speed dial. The vamp nest fight was badass and I thought they'd kill those mask-wearing bloodsuckers after drawing out the fight a bit. Might get captured but ultimately escape, adopt those two orphaned boys, and raise them in a happy, platonic way in the bunker, where those kids would be the precursors to a new Sam and Dean. A new family business in the making, maybe. But that's not what happened.

Dean got shoved into a rusty nail on a beam or something? I couldn't quite tell with the dark lighting. I just knew that when the blood was revealed and Dean's final confession started, it was the end. God damn it all. I had a feeling they would die but I always thought it would be together, guns a'blazin. I got choked up hearing Dean say how proud he was of Sam, how he looked up to him, and how he needed him. It was a better love confession than Castiel got but hey, it's "the epic love story of Sam and Dean" as I've read somewhere on here once. Of course they love each other above all else. Sam begging him, "Don't leave me" and Dean pleading for him to just say "it'll be okay" before he died in his arms. Yeah, I cried.

But in the end, Jack did do something. He didn't bring back Castiel like some Cas fans on tumblr wished (boy are they angry over there!) and he didn't even wipe out the monsters (that would've been nice, Jack, like come on.) But he did make Heaven more of a paradise for everyone instead of little enclosed sections. I'd like to think he did it so he could spend time with his mom, and Castiel, and the Winchesters as one big happy family. It wasn't clear if Castiel helped Jack with Heaven metaphorically (like, his love for Jack gave him the strength to fix Heaven??) or if Cas is literally with Jack and not actually in The Empty anymore. Again, the show did not show Castiel much love, so if your a Cas fan, sorry. There's always fanfics.

In any case, I thought Supernatural would drag out the angst but I am so very glad the boys got the happy ending they deserved; reunited in Heaven. I could ask who Sam ended up marrying to have his son (who went from pale and blonde to tan and black haired... huh. that and the horrible gray wig really bugged me during the 'Carry On My Wayward Son' montage which was otherwise perfect). But you know what? I don't care. Sam could've ended up with Eileen (who I never really cared for paired up with him), or it could've been some other woman he met. The point is Sam had a family and grew old and wasn't alone. Dean was in Heaven with his dead family and wasn't alone either.

But they weren't really complete until they were together again. Is it possible to platonically ship 2 brothers? I guess in 2020, anything is possible. All I know is that it began with Sam and Dean. It ended with Sam and Dean. And I couldn't ask for more.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:44 AM
Elite Fan

Okay, I watched again this morning. I definitely loved it more with a second viewing. So much call back to season one with Dads journal, the girl from the vampire nest when they got the colt, ending on a bridge when the first case was the woman in white suicide from the bridge and more im sure.

A part of me still wishes they went out together, Bonnie and Clyde style or maybe Thelma and Louise is more fitting. However, after rewatching and being less emotional (still cried with second viewing) it made a bit more sense. At first I thought Sam was just living an apple pie life but when he’s dying and his sons tells him it’s okay (and carry on plays for second time ) you see his sleeves are rolled and the son as an anti possession tattoo. So obviously the son knows about monsters and evils. Add the song, and it’s left me with the impression that it’s left to sams son to carry on the family tradition of hunting things.

I do know that had to change some things with covid so I still can’t help. It’s imagine what. I would have loved to seen John(JDM) at least in a scene in heaven but the ending with just Sam and Dean made perfect sense. I think maybe I would have also liked a scene with maybe Sam and older version of the son showing us Sam teaching him. Perhaps in the bunker but they did make it obvious that Sam staying in the bunker with all the memories of Dean was painful.

Last edited by Cmtaylor531; 11-20-2020 at 02:53 PM
Old 11-20-2020, 04:12 PM
Master Fan

I've been a lurker on this board. Admittedly I stopped watching Supernatural regularly around Season 5 or 6. I can't remember. A friend got me back into it and over the course of the last year or so, I managed to catch up. Though I still prefer older seasons, I think Season 2 being my favorite. Anyways, I got back into the show and sorry to hear it ended. Loved the last season and I thought the ending was beautiful.
The Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I thought it was highly unnecessary to kill them like that, especially Dean. Why couldn't it end with them just carrying on after last ep?
Old 11-20-2020, 07:12 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
I thought it was highly unnecessary to kill them like that, especially Dean. Why couldn't it end with them just carrying on after last ep?
I didn’t mind the death. I wasn’t expecting a happy ending. Even though I kind of wanted to see them training new hunters, maybe kids that need purpose in the bunker and living life. The only thing I wish for is they would have presented us with more of a time jump before deans death.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:04 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmtaylor531 (View Post)
I feel the same. Like I don’t hate it but I’m so conflicted. I think I mightn’t have preferred them both dying. I don’t even know what I am right now. I’m all over the place.
same
Old 11-21-2020, 06:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

The finale felt rushed and Dean's death scene was so sad but how he died was kind of lame and Sam's growing old montage was so fast we don't even know who the mother of his son was. It was so weird seeing Sam & Dean in their season 1 clothes too. I'm glad the bros got to be together in Heaven! The show had a good run 2005-2020!

Last edited by quin0611; 11-21-2020 at 06:55 PM
quin0611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:11 PM
Sailor Scout Wannabe

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

My thought after the finale from another SPN thread:

We don't need to see both of them die for them to talk about heaven. Watching Chuck sick and die would be more enjoyable (hmm i wonder if he'd go to heaven in the end...). In fact, no need to talk about heaven if they can't bring more characters back for the ending. Great to see Bobby but that's all we got... no Castiel. Hearing about the "heaven renovation" through Bobby isn't the same as seeing beloved characters Jack and Castiel doing it.

It wasn't the worse series finale i've seen but sure wasn't the best ending.
MsPerfectionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:33 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Seeing Sam a father was pretty much the only good thing about the finale. He was well cut out for it!
Old 11-22-2020, 08:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

I agree it wasn't the best series finale. However the show had a good run.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:46 AM
Moderator Support Team

I like the epsiode because it was just Sam and Dean in the epsiode, because it started with them and it needed to end with them

Quote:
Originally Posted by quin0611 (View Post)
The finale felt rushed and Dean's death scene was so sad but how he died was kind of lame and Sam's growing old montage was so fast we don't even know who the mother of his son was. It was so weird seeing Sam & Dean in their season 1 clothes too. I'm glad the bros got to be together in Heaven! The show had a good run 2005-2020!
I think that was cause of the whole covid problem that probably made it rushed

I remember Jensen said that they had to change the last two epsiode cause of covid

I wonder what the original script was before the whole covid