Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2015, 04:22 PM
Elite Fan

10x13: "Halt & Catch Fire" Episode Discussion Thread

"Halt And Catch Fire"

GHOSTLY CONNECTION — A ghost starts killing people through various electronic devices. Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) discover who was killed and why this ghost is seeking revenge on a group of college students but what they can’t figure out is how he’s doing it. With three dead, the brothers must stop the ghost before he claims his next victim.

John Showalter directed this episode written by Eric Charmelo & Nicole Snyder (#1013). Original airdate 2/10/2015.

av
Mei Zhuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Tftnt Flat yay new episode tomorrow!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh no!! Evil electronics! Crazy opening! It was awesome! Road Trip! Suits! Dean is behind on technology! “Why don’t you Google it?” lmao! EMF meter! The cord is choking her…crazy! Yay for the EMF meter again! Dean scolding her…and thinking she is lying! They do it all the time! Frozen mention!! Dean’s eating again! 810? Bleeding like crazy!! Insane! The accident wasn’t an accident!! Dean throwing the tissues! Lol! Dean talking about his mistakes and now they haunt him…aww Dean She knew it was her husband! Revenge! That is one scary looking ghost!! He has to let go! Dean needs to find peace..he really does! Good episode…
Thor/Loki Charles/Erik Kirk/Spock Zachary/Chris Dexter/Deb Nev/Max Thorin/Bilbo Neal/Peter John/D'avin Thomas/Newt Conrad/Devon Stiles/Scott Richie/Eddie
ocfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:15 PM
Elite Fan

I thought this was a great MotW episode. And the Bro moments/banter were wonderful. I love how we are getting so much of that this season. I guess they felt they had to make it up to us after 2 seasons of discord. To me, it feels like they are more on the same page. I especially love how Sam seems to have picked up the role of "Big" Brother, watching over Dean and being as supportive as possible and never giving up

Anyway... great little ghost story this week. And guess what?! Sam wasn't thrown around or the damsel in distress It was a brains over brawn solution to me
There were a few laughable moments, mostly when they made fun of Dean or the way Sam reacted to Dean Oh, the cafeteria scene. I totally get Dean, because I was the same way the first time I ate with my son at college in their cafeteria

Definitely an episode on my rewatch list (quite a few this season - yay)

No Cas or Crowley this week... again. Looks like they will both be back next week. As well as CAIN Will Dean get rid of the mark? What will we learn from Cain?
Old 02-12-2015, 10:18 PM
Master Fan

loved it, takes me back to good times when the show was original, love the bros getting along so well, Dean eating and wanting to chase those girls was so funny, looking forward to next week for the Cain show down
Old 02-13-2015, 10:03 AM
New Fan

River Boat Gambling, cros-ookie and Cain questions

Really enjoyed the opening recap – love the season 1 “who are you, cops?” clip with the 200th episode clip, “So, you ARE Xfiles.” Nice Mark of Cain montage followed by angry spirits montage including a lot from Tricia Helfer and her enjoyable Road Kill episode. Ending with Dean concerned about the Mark and Sam assuring him they will figure it out.

Teaser was pretty creepy although I was really relieved later in the episode when it was revealed that Billy isn’t a Marine, because he seemed badly miscast. I love the whole arguing with the GPS lady, as I do that all the time. It was a bit fishy that the angry spirit was so considerate of Janet, but I could buy it. “Destination, dead ahead.” Nice!

Dean enters with the cros-ookie, showing he is throwing caution to the wind as far as his self-imposed self-control regimen? I was reminded of the Turducken Slammer and thought this was a bad omen.

Cass discovered river boat gambling – what does this mean that it is bad news? I am trying to imagine a geek angel’s response. Is it like his visit to the whore house -- he reassures the gamblers of their daddy issues? Or, is he somehow a problem gambler?

Cass thinks he might find Cain in Illinois. Dean rightly ask Sam why he thinks Cain would know how to remove the mark since he hadn’t done so? Begs a series of questions... I wonder how Cain knew he could transfer the mark to Dean? Had he done that before? When he did that, did Cain no longer have the mark, or was it just a clone of his mark? If he knew how to transfer the mark, maybe he knows how to remove it. (Dean, you really should have asked more about the warning, “it comes with a price.”)
Wandlimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:28 PM
Master Fan

First off, welcome Wandlimb. I also enjoyed the early clips in the "previouslies" as well (Anytime they mention X-Files I smile; PS: 'Ghost in the Machine' was an X-Files episode title). I see that you use the official CW spelling of "Cass". Interesting. And I like your observations as well as your icon. You should go on and post in a thread that's not such a ghost town. (pun sorta intended. )

Once again there aren't many reviews/posts/rants here despite it being like four days since the episode aired. This is the part where I'd say something snarky like there's few posts because the episode was barely worth posting about. But it looks like most of the posters here liked it. As for me, well, I didn't hate it. I didn't love it either. I guess this episode, to me, was in a word: Meh. A few amusing parts in an otherwise average episode. But I guess it could be worse and that's why I thank the writers for giving me selfie sorority sisters instead of stupid werewolf sisters.

The beginning of this episode kinda cracked me up with their fake products. Instead of Taco Bell there's Taco Town, and instead of Siri there's Trini. I won't even touch the "croissookie (did I even spell that right?) I'm just thinking of the dude driving getting directions from the Yellow Mighty Morphin Power Ranger to the Taco Town from the SNL skit. Of course, the Yellow Ranger Trini wouldn't have tried to kill that idiot male driver. Unless she was in a saber tooth tiger megazord. Man, I'm always inspired to watch other shows when I watch a Supernatural episode.

I was a bit confused Sam asked if Dean would kill him for driving his car. Sam did in fact drive Dean's car on one of the many times Dean died. Didn't even "honor the deceased" since he attached an ipod to the Impala. BTW, they can mention ipod (and Facebook and Google) but not Apple's Siri? Weird. As I said before, there were a few amusing bits in this. The pre-credits opening and every time Dean eats. Especially in the college cafeteria. He has to be doing it on purpose to annoy Sam. He's surrounded by cute co-eds but eats like a baby horse without the impulse control? Holy crap, him eating the noodles was probably the first thing made into a gif.

Each death affecting the "I Know What You Did At 810" murder crew just got provessively sillier. First with the car crash was fine. Strangled by a wire imitating a snake, I'm iffy. But bursting your eyes and ears via surround sound? I'm sorry but I like a little realism in my haunted electronics ghost episode. And it's interesting to see that Dean wasn't the hero (and Sam wasn't the damsel) in this one. It was the words of a newlywed widow that saved the day. Poignant...ish.

Besides the wife's words of love, I appreciated the emotional, upbeat speech Dean gave at the end even if it reminds me a bit of some words he spoke when he was sentenced to Hell. Something about fighting it and not giving up (and we all know he's gonna get some sort of cure for the Mark, come on. You aren't fooling anyone, writers!) Anyway, it seems speeches in the Impala at the end of the episode are the only way to tie the overarching storyline to the Monster of the Week episodes. Suffice to say, some speeches fit better than others.

To sum it up in the overused way the writers dealt with this social media episode: #GhostsInTheWifi. #CollegeCanKill #MoarDeanEatingPLZ #LoveSavedTheDayApparently #HalfassedConnectionToTheMark #TacoTownTrini #SuperMEHtural

Hey, Calculon's Castiel's back! And also Cain with super powers, why not. Just in time for Mardi Gras next Tuesday! I'll get the beads ready.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:23 AM
New Fan

I also thought it was weird of Sam to ask Dean about the car as the ipod and the dog-small came to mind right away. Nice to see them burn the truck, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Vesta (View Post)
Each death affecting the "I Know What You Did At 810" murder crew just got provessively sillier. First with the car crash was fine. Strangled by a wire imitating a snake, I'm iffy. But bursting your eyes and ears via surround sound? I'm sorry but I like a little realism in my haunted electronics ghost episode. And it's interesting to see that Dean wasn't the hero (and Sam wasn't the damsel) in this one. It was the words of a newlywed widow that saved the day. Poignant...ish.
Totally agree and good point about the role shake-up in the resolution. It's hard to pin down just why this episode didn't work for me. Tall Tales was an episode along the same lines but I think they pulled it off better. I liked the opening and the conversation between Dean and Sam about the Mark, but they started to lose me as soon as they stepped foot on campus and Dean ogling the co-eds. For one thing, the age gap is getting a little creepy for him to be turning his head so much. And what was with his ogling and binge eating? Was it supposed to show he is giving up with the whole self-control thing? The dorm rooms were fake, too, with double beds and all that room, and so were the sorority sisters (at least I hope so). It was fake that Dean doesn't know about GPS, and things not being deleted from the internet (although it seems no one recalls them as the subjects of a nation-wide manhunt, so he might get that impression). Dean tossing the tissue box over his shoulder was more of 3 Stooges, but his talk with Delilah (who was sensibly SITTING in the salt circle) about guilt and regret was good. I guess I like more of an X-files and less of a Charmed tone? Oh well, the previews for the next one look great!
Wandlimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:46 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

This episode was freaky!! People being attacked by their appliances was crazy.
One Thing Remains is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread