Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2014, 11:32 AM
Elite Fan

10x03: "Soul Survivor" Episode Discussion Thread

"Soul Survivor"
October 21, 2014; 9/8c

JENSEN ACKLES RETURNS TO THE HELM AS DIRECTOR — Sam (Jared Padalecki) continues his efforts to save Dean (Jensen Ackles) from the Mark of Cain. Crowley (Mark Sheppard) realizes Dean’s demonic antics are starting to cause problems for him in Hell so he searches out an unlikely ally – Castiel (Misha Collins).

Jensen Ackles directed the episode written by Brad Buckner & Eugenie Ross-Leming (#1001).

av
Mei Zhuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:12 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks Fla has been down most of the day for me and now running really really slow as they deal with server issues
Old 10-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

Tftnt episode so excited! I think alot is gonna go down tonight!
Old 10-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Elite Fan

I can't wait!!!

http://sweetondean.blogspot.com/2014...view10x03.html

Old 10-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sam as a doctor! Sam bringing the blood to Dean! Sam needs to cure Dean…I don’t want demon Dean! I want the real one back! Yay director Jensen!! Sam correcting the Latin This is so intense right now! Please get rid of Castiel! Crowley having Dean flashbacks! Sam worried that he might be killing Dean. Wow…John mention. So over this angel road trip. The pictures! So awesome to see! Dean getting loose and now he’s being all crazy demon Dean!! Dean doesn’t want to be cured? So freaking intense!! Dean is back! Hopefully! I really need it to be the real Dean!! Amazing episode!!!
Thor/Loki Charles/Erik Kirk/Spock Zachary/Chris Dexter/Deb Nev/Max Thorin/Bilbo Neal/Peter John/D'avin Thomas/Newt Conrad/Devon Stiles/Scott Richie/Eddie
ocfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Liked the ep a lot, but wanted to see more Demon dean. I am going to miss Demon Dean
Calgaryfan2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:51 AM
Elite Fan

Sam really needs to play doctor more often. He looked so dang hot in that lab coat.
Okay, so Sam isn’t Dean’s blood type? They didn’t seem to care with Crowley
“I hate demons.” Good to hear, Sammy. But as that blood started working, you could see how painful it was for Dean. Jensen did an awesome playing demonDean. The deep yells so sexy. The Sam/Dean exchange throughout the entire episode was spot on. Dean being uncaring, yet Sam determined to save him, one way or another. The feels were intense between the brothers.
“Which one of us is really the monster?” I don’t know, I think Sam & Dean have done worse in the past. Yes, there was intention there. But who knew he would be killed by Dean because he was a d*ck Sam did what he had to, he didn’t make Lester sell his soul, just put the temptation there.
The look on Sam’s face when he’s on the phone with Cas talking about how he may have to kill Dean … the thought is killing him.
“Lean, mean Dean.” Complete hotness!!!
“We don’t get to quit.” Sam should know. He tried and Dean wouldn’t let him. Now he’s not letting Dean quit. *sigh* And the unhealthy circle continues
Sam going to Dean’s room & finding those pictures. OMG! No words (but did you see that one of the pics is a Jared/Jensen bts pic, not Sam/Dean?)
The cat & mouse chase around the bunker was intense! I love how Dean kept calling Sam “Sammy”. A hammer? Interesting choice. Didn’t realize it could do so much damage. Jensen reminds me of Jack Nicholson in The Shining.
Then the way Cas grabbed Dean, both using their powers. But was it me or did Dean look a little pissed when he realized that the cure worked? Glad Cas pointed out that they took care of the demon, but there’s still the Mark. Sam has the right attitude. One crisis at a time.
“Crowley, stolen grace, there’s a female out in the car.” Only Cas can get away with that.
“What does Sam say? Does he want a divorce?”
“It will take a lot more than trying to kill Sam with a hammer to make him want to walk away.” D: “You realize how screwed up our lives are that that even makes sense.” Worth the Cas smirk
So, Crowley is getting rid of the “traitors”. He seems bored. He’s waiting for Sam to take care of Dean, he knows Cas is dying, he’s back as King, but missing his fun with Dean Yeah, little challenge for him.
I love Castiel, I really do, but his story line is a bit blah. There’s attraction between Cas & Hannah (who I’m hoping she sticks around & ends up being an asset to Cas), but not sure how that will turn out. I honestly think it would be good for Cas, but the Destiel lovers will balk at a relationship.
But what’s the deal with Crowley saving Cas? What’s his end plan? Does he still have residual humanness? I’m thinking yes by the way he feels about Dean & wanting Cas around. But nice that Cas isn’t so close to death. And I’m guessing Hannah wasn’t a warrior when Heaven was functional? She talks good, but just laid there was the other angel beat her & Cas up. A little kick butt would have been nice.
Great shout out to Jensen’s nephew with the “Levi” gas station
And what’s with another red head bad guy? *sigh* Almost thought it was Abbadon again.
Overall, the episode was intense and I enjoyed it immensely. I’m looking forward to seeing Sam & Dean work together again next week
Old 10-22-2014, 06:06 AM
Dedicated Fan

I'm sorry guys, but I didn't like this episode at all
I'ts just my opinion, I don't expect anyone to share it. It's just that I found that once again the writers didn't do anything with the plot they started before magically resolve all the problems in few minutes.
We have the same old interactions between brothers, but without the heartbreaking depth it used to have.
I really like Mark, he's a great actor, but Crowley was there doing nothing besides give Castiel few more months to live without any reason (ok, he wants Dean cured/killed, and maybe he have some plans on reclaiming the "favor" from Cas later, but it seem to lack real purpose to me, other then bringing back two popular characters). And what was all that pathetic ruling of the Hell ? I agree with that demon, Crowley make a ridiculous king as he's now.
And Castiel, he was completely useless once again, with no emotions of seeing Sam again, or Dean as a demon, or reuniting with Dean once he's cured. I was expecting to see him worry, happy, angry, afraid... anything, but not this "friendly neighbor" attitude.
The only thing that made me smile, is Cas telling Hannah he's not interested (at least, that's what I undestood), because I'm tired of all those women the writers throw on brothers and Cas just to serve as love/sex interest and get discarded when convenient. For once no one slept with her just because she was available.
I'm waiting for the next episode, but I don't expect anything from it

However, it changes nothing in my love for the previous seasons of the show, and I respect completely fans who like this season. As I told, I don't expect anyone to share my opinion on season 10.

My artist page : Kat Stribog
Kat Stribog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:19 AM
Elite Fan

I respect your opinion Kat and the freedom to voice it here is what I'm striving for as it sometimes initiates discussions (as long as they don't go too far ) i can understand the points you made. No, the bros problems aren't worked out. There's just so much in their past that is always pushed aside but not really resolved and it can't be done in a few minutes of an episode.

I'm hoping they up Cas & Crowley's storyline since they brought them both in as regulars this season rather than 'fill in' time between Dean/Sam time. Time will tell.

I'm actually enjoying this season, looking for the twist and turns, but honestly I had a ball sitting up well past bedtime enjoying the cast live tweet the west coast airing best part so far
Old 10-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

Chris I don't know if bloodtype meant anything, I took it as a smart remark from Sam like yeah I'm pumping you with blood but at least it's your type, like a sarcastic thing, but I could be wrong. Maybe Sam was worried how it would interact with 'human' Dean, like with Crowley it didn't matter but with Dean he wouldn't want to loose him because of mixed blood types.

Am I the only one that wanted to see Sammy getting hooked on demon blood again? Mainly Dean's? THINK OF THE DAMAGE THOSE TWO COULD DO! And then it would be like Cas and Crowley 'saving' them because Cas wants them back and Crowley doesn't want the compitition for hell. Tenth Season...shake things up! At least the brothers would be on the same page and working together.

But since that didn't happen...onto the episode we did get...

I can't say I'm surprised that the demon Dean storyline only lasted three episodes. Can't have a Dean centric storyline last longer then that. Yes he still has the mark, and yes that will come back to bite them all in the ass, but it doesn't change the canvas as much as 'demon' Dean, we went half a season with soulless Sam! Play fair writers!

That said, I'm glad demon Dean is gone, he wasn't what I thought he was going to be. He wasn't all that bad ass, more of a mean drunk. :shurg: (Again I blame writing and NOT Jensen! He was fantastic!)

LOVE THAT IT WAS DEAN/SAM CENTRIC! and after so many years of Sam seeming indifferent to what happens to Dean LOVED him fighting for his brother and not giving up!

I am sad though that the demon Dean storyline is over (at least for now) and we still didn't get Dean telling Sam off, yes he threw Mary in his face, but Mary dying because of Sam has never been one of Dean's issues, he said it to be mean, knowing it would hurt Sam. But 'real' Dean would never blame Sam for that, if anything he would blame Mary because he saw Mary make the deal. I wanted demon Dean to get Dean's real issues off his chest, like his abandonment issues, how Sam left him for school, how he got side tracked from saving him from hell, how he didn't even bother to look for him after Purgatory and how easy it was for him to turn his back on him and disown him after the Gadreel mess. Not even one line of "I'm shocked you bothered to look for me this time"

Interesting to see that Sam was the one to push Lester into selling his soul, I'm wondering if Dean will ever tell him that hell didn't get Lester's soul because he killed him too soon? And now that we know that Sam was the one to get Lester to sell his soul, and Dean knew about it, was this Dean's way of protecting Sam? To ease his guilt somehow? Sam would know that if Lester died before his deal came through especially by the hands of a demon his deal would be null and void.

Another thing demon Dean didn't get done before he left the building...KILLING HANNAH! That should have been on the top of his list! I'm finding it hard to remember the last time i felt so blah about a character or storyline. She's taking up to much time. I'm not bying the whole Cas/Hannah attraction and even worse I DON'T CARE! The only time I've enjoyed any part of the Cas storyline so far this season was when he got to the bunker and had quality Winchester time!

Crowley, do something! Your wallowing is getting boring!

Great direction by Jensen. I'm so glad that he was behind such an important brother episode, if anybody understands them it's Jensen and Jared.

Kate's back next week? WHY?! Great story idea, bring one of the characters from one of the least liked episodes of the series history as the lead in to the big 200th episode!
Jensen&Jared
s o u l m a t e s
Tennessee Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:49 AM
Elite Fan

Demon!Dean was so anticlimactic. I hated how it was mostly played for comic relief hanging out with Crowley than anything else.

So we cant even get a scene of the brothers together after Dean was cured. We were def. owed a brother hug.

Dean asking if Sam wanted a divorce made me chuckle. They are def. married.

Cas was actually useful this ep. I was shocked. He can still go though. Im so over this angel BS. I like Hannah though. She can do better than Cas.
"Me and you..."
"It's a date."
cutie_pie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:20 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine Colored Roses (View Post)
Chris I don't know if bloodtype meant anything, I took it as a smart remark from Sam like yeah I'm pumping you with blood but at least it's your type, like a sarcastic thing, but I could be wrong. Maybe Sam was worried how it would interact with 'human' Dean, like with Crowley it didn't matter but with Dean he wouldn't want to loose him because of mixed blood types.

Am I the only one that wanted to see Sammy getting hooked on demon blood again? Mainly Dean's? THINK OF THE DAMAGE THOSE TWO COULD DO! And then it would be like Cas and Crowley 'saving' them because Cas wants them back and Crowley doesn't want the compitition for hell. Tenth Season...shake things up! At least the brothers would be on the same page and working together.
Well, at least that was a detail the writers didn't leave out

But what an idea!!! Sam & Dean ganking demons and tearing up the town And then the minor characters have to save them. Yeah, that would definitely be an awesome shake up

Quote:
That said, I'm glad demon Dean is gone, he wasn't what I thought he was going to be. He wasn't all that bad ass, more of a mean drunk. :shurg: (Again I blame writing and NOT Jensen! He was fantastic!)
Us & Crowley thought he would be different as well. Not some partying frat boy, but then Dean never got to do that so maybe that was his deepest desire ?

Quote:
Another thing demon Dean didn't get done before he left the building...KILLING HANNAH!
I like the actress, but yeah, the character is kind of blah. She can't even fight. If you want to throw in a possible love interest she has to be at least a fighter, IMO

And Jensen was awesome as Director! The Dean & Sam scenes were perfect.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

Omg yes Sam looked so hot as a doctor damn!

Good episode! Omg the Sam & Dean scenes! Yay Sastiel scenes too!

I will write more about the episode later!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:32 PM
Master Fan

Meh.........guess I should not have expected much with this s/l demon Dean pretty much sat around in bars drinking, maybe we'll get more flashbacks of bad stuff he did Dean vs Sam that part with the door also reminded me of the Shinning but I knew Cas would show up before Dean got at Sam. Crowley stole grace for Cas cause he could not handle Dean? and apparently still sad over it its no wonder other demons thinks he needs another party buddy what a waste of a pair that could have reeked serious havoc.

Loved the scene when Dean turned back to normal, he was confused at first and fine as hell Family means so much to Dean, love the pics and glad there is another intact of Bobby and the boys
Old 10-23-2014, 12:17 AM
Dedicated Fan

I re-watched it, and this time I found it a little better.
I still don't like it, but it's still only my opinion, and some things aren't as bad as I thought at first.
I guess I'm frustrated to see the potential wasted.

The King of Hell and the Knight of Hell side by side on Earth, it was a great ending in the season 9 and left us to expect something epic, something worth to be scared of... just to get discarded. We saw Sam hooked on demon blood and soul-free, and he was far more frightening and dangerous then a Knight of Hell Dean
I can understand that Crowley don't want to go big, but if we saw some real apocalyptic damage a demon Dean can do, the desperation for the cure and the depth of Sam wanting to save him anyway would've been much more powerful.
After seeing soulless Sam butchering people without any mercy, or Castiel slaughtering angels by dozens and that election team massacre, demon Dean looks like an ordinary mean guy. But still, maybe we'll see some flashbacks that would prove me wrong ? I really hope so.

And I realy hope that Crowley stealing some grace to fix Cas is hiding some twisted plan that was worth it. Crowley was pathetic since the beginning of the season 10. It's not like him, and I miss his strength and mischievous humor.

Quote:
No, the bros problems aren't worked out. There's just so much in their past that is always pushed aside but not really resolved and it can't be done in a few minutes of an episode.
I meant Castiel getting back on his feet and Dean going human again. But you're absolutely right, it doesn't solve anything.
Dean still have the Mark of Cain, brothers have all the past to deal with, and Castiel's new grace is only temporary.
I guess I felt frustrated by the wasted potential, as if the writers used demon Dean only to serve as a cliffhanger for the end of the season 9, but nothing else. I think they could've done a better job by letting him stay as a demon a little longer, or do some more damage, so when he gets cured, we get a real relief before getting slapped by "he still have a Mark" reminder.

About Castiel being so cold... Is it the grace that makes him less emotional ? Maybe. I just hope that it's not the off-screen issues around the Destiel shipping that made them jump back so far, that Cas don't even look as a close friend anymore but only as a friendly ally
But then, it makes me think about something Castiel told about Dean fighting to stay a demon : "You know, only humans can feel real joy, but also such profound pain. This is easier."
I think he was speaking from the experience, remember Ephraim saying to Castiel "I just followed the sound of your pain. You have no idea how loud it is. I could hear you for miles." ?
I wonder if Castiel was in pain because he wanted to become an angel again, or did he wanted to become an angel again because he was in too much pain and wanted it to stop ? What exactly caused his pain ? Was it guilt of destroying Heaven, troubles to understand human life, or feeling unwanted by people he cared about ? The way he told Hannah to focus on the duty and discard her feelings, I guess Castiel is trying (not very seccessfuly) to erase his own feelings because it hurts him probably even deeper then his fading grace. It's somehow tragic, but I found it cute that his priority is not Heaven and angels, but helping brothers

Sam was perfect in this episode, he was clearly staying strong to save his brother while devastated inside. Love you Sam, never change !
And I enjoyed the "Shining" moment too.
Also, have you noticed that Cas learned to knock on doors before entering ? He's no longer invading out of nowhere when he wants to talk

Anyway, actors did a great job (as always), it's writers I'm disappointed in. I guess we should see how it turns out in the future, but I don't have any high hopes

I don't know if I'm making any sense, I tend to be clumsy in communication.

There's something that caught my attention this time : that pie in Dean's room... isn't he supposed to be absent from that room for weeks / month ? That pie looked fresh

My artist page : Kat Stribog

Last edited by Kat Stribog; 10-23-2014 at 03:05 AM Reason: typing errors
Kat Stribog is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top