Elite Fan

That's right Iris. GG =
But so are the Strokes.

Anyone hear anything from JuJu?
troubled.discussions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
When they released their debut album Is This It in 2001, The Strokes were widely credited as changing the face of rock music. Now aged 28, how does Hammond see those early days? "I was 20 and I got to play music around the world, I think it's pretty self explanatory how amazing it was. Just friends having the time of their life. I don't waste time to look back at what I've done. I don't want to live back then. Then I'll be stuck and that will be the only achievement," he protests, lest we suggest his Strokes fame is the only point of interest.

"The thing with me and The Strokes and talking about stuff is I hate reading about it. I wish they just didn't write about me. I mean, I'm putting out a new record and it's like 'The Strokes are getting back together!' If they wanted to do that why don't they just write an article on The Strokes? I don't like being the spokesperson for the band. I wish they'd just make a statement so I wouldn't have to. It's really annoying. I'm the least likely to be the spokesperson and I'm the one." It's a passionate rant and one he's obviously made before. However, he adds: "I'd be very excited to see where things go. We're all in different places now. So it would be exciting to see where we take the next album to. We've spoken and know we're going to meet at some point. It's not my choice. Everyone thinks it's not me getting back because I'm making records, but it's not."
Has there ever been a time when he agreed with a bad review? "I guess it was the third Strokes record – I really wasn't into it so it was really hard to do press for it because they'd ask me about it and it's hard to fake liking something. You like certain things about it but you don't want to talk negative about it – that makes no sense. In a weird way I described how I lost myself – maybe that's what I was feeling."
It's just sad isn't it?

Quote:
That's right Iris. GG =
But so are the Strokes.

Anyone hear anything from JuJu?
Have you heard the song he did with Pharrell Williams and Santogold for Converse? The song is a bit weird for my taste but as long as I heard Juju's voice I'm ok
Juju hotness this way (oh and the video of the song)
Old 07-20-2008, 12:31 AM
Loyal Fan

I read in Rolling Stone last month they were back together working on the album, so even though Albert seems frustrated, I'll keep my hopes high that the boys are back at it together. But I can understand how it is frustrating for him for his solo work (which is quite awesome) to always be overshadowed by "Are the Strokes getting back together and going on tour and putting out another album?"

And I do agree with him about "First Impressions." It's my least favorite Strokes album, very hit or miss. But they toured with it well, making even the weaker songs strong live.

And that's a shame you might never see them live, Iris. They are required live seeing cause they are such a good live band. Apples in Stereo opened for them so it was just like heaven.

I really like the Strokes cover of "Mercy Mercy Me" with Eddie Vedder as the B-side to "You Only Live Once." Has everyone heard that cover? It's pretty awesome.

And dude, that song he did for Converse is pretty tight.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:51 AM
Elite Fan

They posted in their website that they are going to start working on their fourth album so it's definite (I think) if they have it on their website.

I liked FIOE(not as much as Is This It) but Albert shouldn't go and say things like that. You are too kind with him People at Oh Someday were not gentle at all

I have watched their live performances on youtube and I can say their songs sound just like in their CDs. Why don't they come to Athens? (I don't live there but I could visit just for one concert)

I heard the cover. It's great.

I wouldn't listen to the song hadn't it been for Juju. But the video is just great.
And the photo is even better. He looks fierce
Old 07-20-2008, 03:04 AM
Ultimate Fan

I just think the third record by The Strokes was freaking amazing. But it gives me the impression they're not coming back, even though the rumors that they'd be working on a new album on 2009 are there.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:10 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by josebajm (View Post)
I just think the third record by The Strokes was freaking amazing. But it gives me the impression they're not coming back, even though the rumors that they'd be working on a new album on 2009 are there.
But they posted an announcement in their website saying they are going back in the studio!
Here it is:It's copied from their website not from a magazine.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:56 AM
Loyal Fan

Thanks for the thread, Iris!! Please add me to the list... :
Haven't listened to the strokes in a while, but I just listened to room on fire, and it brings back memories from high school Back when I actually had time to listen to music in stead of working and studying all the time :
Old 07-20-2008, 03:59 AM
Elite Fan

Of course Line
Old 07-20-2008, 04:30 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
It's copied from their website not from a magazine.
Oh sorry. I thought that was taken from a magazine.
Then I'm looking forward to it.

Have you guys listened to Albert's last record BTW?
Old 07-20-2008, 06:10 AM
Elite Fan

No problem Now all we have to do is wait.

I did and I liked it even though I was biased after reading what he said

But he has to understand that people are more interested in The Strokes than his band and trying to put down their work so people may pay more attention to his is just sad That said, my favourite track from Como Te Llama is "Victory In Monterey"
Old 07-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by josebajm (View Post)
I like First Impressions as well.

Thank you for the link to the song Iris. He sounds a little weird (different), but it's JuJu nonetheless.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Elite Fan

I was expecting to hear his raspy voice , and I was surprised with the song. But it's great to hear him again.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Elite Fan

I Agree. That's why it was all distort for me, but its JuJu! What more of a reason would anyone need?
Old 07-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Elite Fan

None. I'm waiting for the Behind-the-scenes video for more Juju . In the interviews video we only got a few seconds of him. But the photo is just
Old 07-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris_katsiki (View Post)
They posted in their website that they are going to start working on their fourth album so it's definite (I think) if they have it on their website.

I liked FIOE(not as much as Is This It) but Albert shouldn't go and say things like that. You are too kind with him People at Oh Someday were not gentle at all

I have watched their live performances on youtube and I can say their songs sound just like in their CDs. Why don't they come to Athens? (I don't live there but I could visit just for one concert)
So we only have to make it a year and then we'll get our hands on some more Strokes goodies! Huzzah!

Those people were harsh. As a music whore, I understand that most musicians have volatile, egotistical personalities and when they don't like something, they aren't going to hide their feelings. They are quite blunt, so I'm used to it.

It's his true feelings, so it doesn't bother me. I understand that some of your work you don't like as much and I respect that he felt awkward promoting it because he didn't want to say it was bad. He has loyalties to the band but also didn't feel it was their best work, so he was torn. I get that.

I don't think he is trying to garner attention for himself by dissing The Strokes but moreso saying, right now The Strokes are on hiatus so I'd rather not discuss something where there is nothing to discuss.

That was my take on it. And sometimes, we all say things we shouldn't. But hey, he still seems totally into doing Strokes stuff, so I'm not worried.

And they should come to Athens! I guess they aren't big enough yet. I saw them at this small outdoor venue with about 1,000 people, maybe. They're still an under rated band, of sorts, I guess.

Dude, Juju looks amazing in that photo. I love the long hair, the sunglasses and the pose. I might drool all over my keyboard if I don't look away.
Reply   Post New Thread