Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 02:00 AM
Master Fan

Well you could always change your sig

Radiohead stool? I'm not even going to comment on that. ANYWAY. I haven't really bought anything that crazy, apart from spending $123 (once you adjust the exchange rates) on the IR Discbox and hiding it at the back of my cupboard because until this day, my parents don't know I bought it. I think. To be honest I think my mother may know, she's just never mentioned it...

Well I did also buy a Tour 2006 t shirt for an unadvised amount of money and I have the Radiohead drinking mug but I just wanted those, I guess. And no, I don't think you're a dork at all! I would have done the same, to be honest (I'd love my bag to have something Radiohead-related but my bag's printed already). What other album covers did you have? And to be honest the Bends cover isn't my favourite Radiohead cover
Old 01-06-2009, 02:27 AM
Passionate Fan

The Bends may not be the best cover, but it might be the best for a guitar strap since it's a guitar album. That was my thinking.

Anyway...since none of these are posted yet and I have had them bookmarked for ages, I thought I'd post a couple more links. Even though Kid A is Gwen's territory.

Both from Eurockeenes:
Kid A live
Idioteque live

The National Anthem live on SNL

And here's 'The Gloaming' you requested: The Gloaming Eurockenees 2003

Also, I think you should italicize the sub-headings (ie, Music Videos, Live Performances, Other). And I don't think there are actually official videos for 'The Bends' or '2+2=5'.

And how about adding that 'Backdrifts' video recently posted to the HTTT section? And even though Canal+ is posted a whole gig, we should included a couple of the highlights elsewhere, methinks, like we did with HTDC. I remember 'Pyramid Song' and 'Dollars and Cents' being pretty good from that show.
I'm bored at the moment, so I'm looking up stuff on youtube. I'm trying to find the best live 'Exit Music' I can.

About the B-sides/Unreleased, etc.: I don't think we need to put videos for all songs in the post, just videos we particularly like. Same goes for the album. We don't need to have videos for every track, althogh we certainly can if we find them. Maybe I'll see if I can find a good video of 'Big Boots'...

ETA: Not a stellar version, but it is professionally filmed and not a fanvid, so: Big Boots live in Milan 1995 (Audio-wise, the boot I have is much better, methinks!)

Subterranean Homesick Alien live in New York 1997

I'm just on a roll here

I Will live 2003
2+2=5 live from Glasto 2003
Exit Music live 2001
Where I End and You Begin live From The Basement
Bangers 'n' Mash Pitchfork 2008
Last Flowers live From the Basement
Up on the Ladder live acoustic 93 Feet East
True Love Waits live (in which, by the way, he pretty clearly sings "babies" )
True Love Waits first performance live in Brussels 1995
Talk Show Host live Glasto 2003
No Surprises Jools Holland 1997
Black Star live at the Astoria 1994

Ok, maybe that's enough for now. Hope I've been helpful.

Last edited by infinite sadness; 01-06-2009 at 03:05 AM
infinite sadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:09 AM
Master Fan

Very helpful, thanks. I'll add them in when I have a bit more time. I did include 'HTDC' and 'YAWA?' from Canal+, but if you have other videos from that show you really like just let me know and I'll add it in.

Oh and yeah I know Kid A/Amnesiac is my area but if you have anything to add go ahead! About 'The Bends' and '2+2=5', GP says they're singles so I just put them in. And I'll italicise those, no problem.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:15 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnightboy (View Post)
Radiohead stool? I'm not even going to comment on that.
Just to clarify, I'm not talking about human waste, but rather those tall metal kitchen stools, with the Scary Bear printed on the cushioned seat.

Quote:
ANYWAY. I haven't really bought anything that crazy, apart from spending $123 (once you adjust the exchange rates) on the IR Discbox
Ouch, yeah. I was tempted to buy that album, but decided to pay my phone bill instead.

Quote:
What other album covers did you have? And to be honest the Bends cover isn't my favourite Radiohead cover
Well, I chose The Bends for a couple of reasons. One was I had to size the pictures to 150x150. They were going to be rather small and I wanted whatever I chose to stand out. For instance if I had picked OKC, it would've just looked like a picture of a little white square on my guitar strap. I think Amnesiac's cover wouldn't have been impressive on a strap either at the dimensions I had to work with. So I actually think for the strap, The Bends cover was more interesting than most of the others. Also note that this was before HTTT and IR, so those weren't an option.

I also picked it because it was just an intensely personal album for me. It came to me at a certain time in my youth and I'll always have affection for it. The other albums were Better Than Ezra's 'How Does Your Garden Grow'(they're considered one-hit wonders, but I like them. This album is underrated, and the funny thing is a lot of that band's fans always state that 'Garden' is similar to OKC, which I firmly disagree with. To me Garden is colorful, and warm. Just vibrant. OKC on the other hand is very...cold. I mean, for me it's about disconnection, isolation. For the past several years I've tried to tell fellow BTE fans that the albums are nothing alike in regards to atmosphere, but few will agree with me) and Aimee Mann's 'Lost in Space'(brilliant album, btw, although I do despise how Save Me and Wise Up are like the go to songs for horrible prime-time drama montages).

I don't have a tour t-shirt, but I did get a nice, slim tee made with lyrics from from True Love Waits, from neighborhoodies.com. The same people who made my KID A messenger bag. God...I'm talky this morning.
street serenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Master Fan

Oh. That made more sense The Discbox is pretty, yes. I remember Simone gushing over the Discbox and me being jealous because I hadn't received mine yet! But yeah, as long as you've got the songs on Disc 2 and the photos you should be quite set. I'm not a fan of the IR artwork so you're not missing much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by street serenade (View Post)
So I actually think for the strap, The Bends cover was more interesting than most of the others. Also note that this was before HTTT and IR, so those weren't an option.
Alright. Yes, that makes sense. If you had to make another strap now though, what Radiohead album would you use? I think the cover of HTTT would be quite cool when seen from small, as would IR.

I always see Kid A as the cold one though. I've probably said this before but I'll just repeat myself, if that's alright. I see Kid A as cold and alienating but Amnesiac is bitter and dark and twisted. And bringing this back to the point I wanted to make, OKC... to be honest I never really thought about it. Sure, the lyrics are cold in that it's about alienation and isolation and the evils of the corporate world, but musically (and that's how I usually judge the tone of albums - don't ask me why, I know lyrics are a huge part, they are, it's just that music tends to be my first impression, not lyrics) it's not very cold, IMO. But that's just my opinion.

Aimee Mann is not bad, I've got a few of her songs and I really want to watch Magnolia, but I'll stop here as I know not much about her/her music. Oh you should post a picture of that t shirt! I have three Radiohead t shirts - this (the unadvised one), this (but in short sleeve) and this one (but also in short sleeve).

Talky is good!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Passionate Fan

I see Kid A as the 'coldest' Radiohead album, but I would consider OKC cold rather than warm, but really, it's rather mild... it's like, a cloudy, rainy day in the high 40's/low 50's (Fahrenheit, that is). Or something. Not as arctic as SR's ( ), nor as cold as Kid A. But both musically and lyrically, I wouldn't call OKC warm. Therefore, cold is more fitting. But I don't know. In a way, I don't feel the album has a temperature. This is a weird conversation.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Passionate Fan

It is a weird conversation. Maybe I feel like OKC is cold because it's really the only time I can listen to that album. I actually think Kid A to be warmer in contrast.

I don't have a camera, otherwise I would. I also have a Scary Bear tee, an I Thom Yorke shirt, plus you know the TV shirt that was linked to a few posts up? I printed out that little graphic on sticker paper a few years back and to this day it's still on one of my guitars.

EDIT: I did some digging around through my old blog and found a picture of the strap. Unfortunately the Aimee Mann album cover is cropped out. But Poe's in there. I'm so afraid of dirtying the thing up I hardly use it, I totally forgot about her cover on there.

Last edited by street serenade; 01-06-2009 at 07:48 AM
Old 01-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Master Fan

Well I'm not saying OKC is warm, it's not! But not really cold. Yeah it is a weird conversation. Let's stop this.

Nice!

I was at DAS and Thom made an update.

Quote:
Tue, 06 January
back to the office
sitting on the photocopier while the phone rings off the hook and the emails pour down the screen
drinking sandy waterd down coffee while printing out this weeks office chart>

1. Robert Wyatt Stay Tuned
2. Matmos Les Folies Françaises
3. Darkstar Need You
4. Kwaidan Hoichi < kwaidan
5. Four tet Ringer < Ringer Ep
6. Public Enemy Night of the living baseheads
7. The Sight Below At first touch
8. Nina Simone I put a spell on you < feeling good
9. Aaron Martin & Machinefabriek Cello Recycling < cello recycling
10. Plastikman Ping Pong < Closer
Thom
Does this mean they're having studio time and working on new stuff, or is it a more admin-y side of being in a band, do you think?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Master Fan

LOOK AT THIS NOW!

PHIL SINGING

ED'S CHILDREN (at 0:51)

I need to calm down.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:41 AM
Ultimate Fan

HAI GUISE!

Been away for a bit because I have to study for my exams, but I have a little time now to post at forums.

I think both Kid A and OKC are cold. Cold in the sense that the songs aren't welcoming at first. I believe that albums like IR are way warmer. The songs are catchier IMO. IDK whether that was the thing you were referring to.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Master Fan

Hey Jose! Welcome back!

True, very true. IR possibly has the warmest songs in their entire discography. Which says... quite a lot? Not a lot at all? Depends on your viewpoint.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Passionate Fan

Ed and his children were adorable in that.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Master Fan

Yeah I know. And look at Salvador. He has such pretty hair! The two of them are too cute

The amazing one is Phil singing though. He has got such a lovely voice! I love it. He exudes such singer-songwriter vibes. It's weird to see him on acoustic guitar though (and damn these Radiohead members, must they all be such multi-instrumentalists?). And he sounds nothing like Thom. Did you know that's his own song?

ETA: I added all the links you provided, Simone - thanks! Oh and I saw that 'TLW' video. Damn, it does sound like "babies". I hate that!

General question to everyone: when you listen to 'TLW', does it sound like:

"I'll drown my beliefs
To have you be in peace"

or

"I'll drown my beliefs
To have your babies"?

We've always heard the first option (and preferred it) but this performance sounds like "babies" and it makes me sad. To have your babies? What the hell? I like the performance though. Too bad they cut out the end

Last edited by goodnightboy; 01-10-2009 at 07:14 AM
goodnightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Fan

I have the IMBW:LR version of TLW and it definitely says 'to have your babies'. It's ironic actually because I've always seen the lyrics written as if it were the first option (I prefer the first option too more).
Old 01-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Passionate Fan

I have a few live boots, which I actually prefer more than the official IMBW version. In all of the live boots I hear 'peace', which I prefer.

Do you guys have a live version of TLW where aside from Thom and his acoustic guitar, there's also a beepy keyboardy sounding effect going off the in background for most of the song? That was the first version I heard, several years ago around 2000. To me that is TLW, and when we finally got an official live version I was bummed that the keyboard was gone, because it made the song...well, really uplifting in it's own way.
Reply   Post New Thread