Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Master Fan

Radiohead #13: For A Minute There, We Lost Ourselves

Welcome to the

Banner by Forgotten By The Sun

Well, Radiohead aren't a band that require much introduction, but in case you happen to have been living under a rock all these years, here is an overview, of sorts:

Radiohead are a British band from Oxfordshire, England, comprised of five musicians. Though often classed as alternative rock, they have been deeply influenced by music from a variety of genres. Radiohead is often praised as one of the most creative bands of their era, known for their multilayered songs and artistic evolution from album to album. They are seen by many to have maintained musical and political independence despite recording for a major label.

They first broke into the music scene with the album Pablo Honey, containing the hit single 'Creep', a song about low self-esteem and self-hatred that many listeners could identify with. The song was so huge, in fact, that critics wrote the band off as one-hit wonders - a label that seemed to have weight after subsequent singles such as 'Pop Is Dead' were savaged by critics. However, Radiohead bounced back in the form of their second album, The Bends in 1995 - a much more mature-sounding rock album that spawned Radiohead's highest-ranked single on the British charts, 'Street Spirit (Fade Out)'. Two years later came what many people have hailed their best album, OK Computer - an album that has made many "Greatest Albums" lists. Some have also derided their work for its bleakness and lack of instant accessibility - in part due to the double dose of nihilism in the next two albums Kid A and Amnesiac, but it is also proof of the band's willingness to experiment and explore the boundaries of rock. With their sixth album, Hail to the Thief, Radiohead brought guitars back into the picture while still incorporating experimental and electronic beats, thus creating a sort of synthesis of their previous five records.

On October 10, 2007, Radiohead released their latest album, In Rainbows. The band made headlines for the method of the release: a digitial download that buyers could choose the price of, even if that meant paying nothing. It was also available as a special edition Discbox with artwork, vinyls, and bonus songs. We at the Radiohead thread are happy to announce that In Rainbows is an excellent album, well worth the four year wait. The album was released via traditional means in January 2008.

Thom has a solo album, The Eraser, however he does not like to refer to it as a solo album and says he is not splitting up with the band - much to the relief of fans everywhere! Jonny also has worked on solo projects, including the soundtrack to Bodysong and There Will Be Blood. In addition, he works as the BBC’s composer in residence.

Radiohead are (L-R):

Ed O'Brien (guitar, harmony vocals, special effects, percussion)
Phil Selway (drums and percussion)
Thom Yorke (lead vocals, rhythm guitar, piano, electronic programming)
Jonny Greenwood (lead guitar, keyboard, ondes martenot, electronic programming, string arrangements, various)
Colin Greenwood (bass, keyboards)

Several sites:
Radiohead.com
Dead Air Space

At Ease
Citizen Insane
Green Plastic
How To Be Like Colin Greenwood - In Ten Easy Steps
Piemerica
Radiohead Article Archive
Wikipedia page

Banner by 4N6 DNA

Avatars and the like can be found in the 6th thread

Previous threads
Radiohead #12: Because Everybody's Listening In
Radiohead #11: We're On A Roll!
Rad10head#10: Because of course we like to sit around and chat
Radiohead #9: They Make Us Fitter, Happier And More Productive
Radiohead #8: We'll be waiting with a gun and a pack of sandwiches
Radiohead #7: Somebody's Got To Provide The Music For Murder Shows
Radiohead #6: The 'In Rainbows' Discbox-- It's like Christmas come early!
http://www.fanforum.com/f22/radiohea...need-62815640/
http://www.fanforum.com/f22/radiohea...line-62806619/
http://www.fanforum.com/f22/radiohea...rise-62791566/
Radiohead #2: It's gonna be a GLORIOUS day!
Old 12-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Master Fan

The video archive post.

1. Pablo Honey

Music videos
'Creep'
'Anyone Can Play Guitar'
'Pop is Dead'
'Stop Whispering'

Live performances
You live in 1994
Creep live at the Astoria 1994
Anyone Can Play Guitar-- MTV Beach house
Blow Out live at the Astoria

Others

2. The Bends

Music videos
'The Bends'
'My Iron Lung'
'Street Spirit (Fade Out)'
'Just'
'Fake Plastic Trees'
'High and Dry' (US)
'High and Dry' (UK)

Live performances
Fake Plastic Trees Glastonbury 2003
Street Spirit live at Eurokeenes 1998
Black Star live at the Astoria 1994

Others

3. OK Computer

Music videos
'Paranoid Android'
'Karma Police'
'No Surprises'

Live performances
'Paranoid Android', Jools Holland show 1997
Airbag live on Jools Holland 1997
Karma Police live on Letterman 1997
Climbing Up the Walls at Glastonbury 1997
Lucky live at a soundcheck in DC 1997
Subterranean Homesick Alien live in New York 1997
Exit Music live 2001
No Surprises Jools Holland 1997

Others
Cover of 'Let Down', Easy Star All-Stars

4. Kid A

Music videos
None

Live performances
'How to Disappear Completely' (sorry I don't know where it is)
'How to Disappear Completely', Canal+, Paris 2001
Kid A live, Eurockeennes 2003
Idioteque live, Eurockeennes 2003
The National Anthem live on SNL

Others

5. Amnesiac

Music videos
'Pyramid Song'
'I Might Be Wrong' (Sophie Muller)
'I Might Be Wrong' (Chemical Brothers)
'Knives Out'

Live performances

'You and Whose Army?', Canal+, Paris 2001
'Like Spinning Plates', Thom piano solo

Others
Cover of 'I Might Be Wrong', Amnesiac Quartet, la Fenetre, Paris 2007

6. Hail to the Thief

Music videos
'There There'
'Go to Sleep'
'2+2=5'

Live performances
The Gloaming Eurockenees 2003
I Will live 2003
2+2=5 live from Glastonbury 2003
Where I End and You Begin live From The Basement

Others
Fanvid of 'A Wolf at the Door'
Fanvid of '2+2=5'

7. In Rainbows

Music videos
'Jigsaw Falling Into Place'
'Nude'
'House of Cards'
'Reckoner'

Live performances
'Arpeggi', Ether festival
'Nude', Jonathan Ross show, 4/4/2008

Others
The making of the 'House of Cards' video

8. The Eraser, Thom's solo record

Music videos
'Harrowdown Hill'

Live performances
'The Clock', Henry Rollins Show
'Cymbal Rush', Henry Rollins Show

Others

9. Interviews
Reflections on Kid A

10. Full-length concerts
Canal+, Paris 2001
Glastonbury 2003
Arte, Le Reservoir 2003
Saitama 2008

11. Covers
Portishead's 'The Rip'
Neil Young's 'After the Gold Rush', Eurockeennes 2003
Neil Young's 'Tell Me Why', Hollywood Bowl
New Order's 'Ceremony'
The Smiths' 'Headmaster's Ritual'
Björk's 'Unravel'

12. Unreleased songs
'Lift'
'Follow Me Around'
'Big Ideas (Don't Get Any)', Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, SF 1998
Big Boots live in Milan 1995
True Love Waits live (in which, by the way, he pretty clearly sings "babies" )
True Love Waits first performance live in Brussels 1995

13. B-sides
Bangers 'n' Mash Pitchfork 2008
Last Flowers live From the Basement
Up on the Ladder live acoustic 93 Feet East
Talk Show Host live Glasto 2003

14. Uncategorised
Thom's funny laugh
Radiohead at the Jonathan Ross show, 5/3/2003: 'There There', interview, 'Fake Plastic Trees'
Jonny has fun with his drumsticks

Last edited by goodnightboy; 03-20-2009 at 09:00 PM
goodnightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:38 AM
Ultimate Fan

Thanks for the new thread.

And you are awesome for compiling all those vids. Simone will be proud of you when she comes back.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:24 AM
Master Fan

Thanks! Seriously, go watch the videos there. The Jonathan Ross one? It's hilarious (I realied all three videos in the Uncategorised section are funny videos - well worth watching). I use it for thread titles a lot. I don't know if you've seen it already or not, but if you haven't, go do so now. You won't regret it.

Same for the live shows. I mean, they're full-length shows! How often do you get stuff like that? So go watch!

I haven't finished it yet, obviously - if you have any videos you want to add just post them here and I'll add them in.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Fan

I've already seen the Jonathan Ross one. I just love how at ease they were and they started joking around with the other guest, didn't they? As far as I can remember, at least.

Hmmm... I don't have any vids really. But will try to find some.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Master Fan

Excellent. (Sorry - I didn't know if you'd seen the Jonathan Ross one yet or not). It really is awesome, it's so funny! When I'm stuck for thread ideas I always go there, usually I get ideas from what they're talking about. The titles for thread #3 and #7? It's from there.

Yeah I think there was a bit during the Shania Twain interview where Jonathan Ross made a crack at Thom, I think, and then they flashed to the green room where you see Thom making slicing motions across his throat to Jonathan Ross. It's quite funny.

Aww, s'ok. If you're ever surfing around YouTube and if you find any good videos you can link it here, but it's not something you HAVE to do.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Fan

No, no prob. I'd be more than glad to do it.

BTW, I was checking bjork.com the other day. () and I came across this quote by Björk where she said that Radiohead is the best band ever and that she had the chance to watch them 4 years ago and she thought they were amazing. But that she wished they'd be more electronic, she apparently doesn't like the guitars on the RH songs.

I don't quite agree with her. I do like the electronic songs, but RH would be RH without guitars. The especial thing about this band is how they are able to mix electronic and acoustic elements and make really emotional songs from them.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Master Fan

Really? That's cool. Not surprising since she and Thom are friends, but it's nice to see that she likes them. And it's not entirely surprising that she prefers the electronic side to Radiohead as well since it's what she does and all.

Yeah I agree though. I like both. They're not hardcore electronica and they shouldn't be. Jonny, Ed and Thom are great guitarists and guitars are just such a huge part of the Radiohead sound. But I like how they're not restricted to guitar rock either. You're right - what's great is that they can mix the two to get the best angle to a song.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Fan

Okay, I think we've run out of topics again.

I went to radiohead.com the other day and it amazes me that they update that thing really regularly. I think it's really nice of them that they make that effort to stay in touch with the fans. Not many artists/bands do that. Even less when they're as successful as Radiohead. IDK, I think it's really cool. It happened the same thing to me when I found out that the cast of The Office update their blogs at myspace too.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Master Fan

Really? DAS hasn't been updated recently though. Isn't it still at the Oliver Postgate piece by Thom? It's funny, they tend to update in patches - sometimes Coz puts up tons of pictures, and then Thom scribbles a bit and maybe Jonny has a set or two (pictures) as well. And other times they can go by months without updating. But I know other bands who really haven't updated for months and months and that always makes me sad.

We could do another song, if you like. You can pick the song! Actually I was thinking of having spotlights on each of the band members, in turn, because we haven't done that before, but I was hoping to have more people posting here before we did that.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Passionate Fan

Well, I've quite a bit of catching up to do, it seems. Gwen! That video archive post looks amazing! When I've a bit more time and energy, I'll see if I have anything in my folder to contribute. First, I must go read what I missed in the last thread...

ETA: To reply to things in the last thread...

The Eraser: I love it, but it's not as engrossing as a Radiohead album, I think for the simple reason that it is one man's work and not five. It's not simple, but musically it isn't as complex as Radiohead albums either. It's a great album on its own, but I would've found it rather lackluster had it been a Radiohead release.

Nitpick: Gwen-- "come on kids" isn't only from the live versions of 'Kid A', it's in the studio as well. It's not repeated the way it is live, but it's there.

And EUROCKENEES AT LAST! Isnt' it a great show? Of course you'd finally watch it while I was away... Now you'll need to have a go at MPiE...

Jonny chat-- I was really excited for a second because I thought it was *new*. It was a fun read nonetheless. My favorite bit was:
Quote:
euphoria garfield_hipcat: Jonny boy! I was completely blown away by the south park gig. Do you have any idea how amazing you were?
radiohead_jonny: *considers self* yes.
radiohead_jonny: (no)

And Nicole: I saw them live in August and it's AMAZING! But I can understand where you're coming from. I'm not a huge concert-goer period. Normally, I think it's too loud and there's too many people *is sounding like an old lady*, but Radiohead I just had to see. So, I guess I'm the opposite of you. Now that I've seen them though, I'll definitely try to see them again whenever/whereever the opportunity arises. (Same with Sigur Ros, for the record). But it's only something I'll do for my favorite bands. Unless free tickets show up or something (which is why I went to a Goo Goo Dolls/Counting Crows concert a couple years ago). In general, I feel like most artists are much better in he studio than they are live, so I don't feel like seeing them live is too important. But, as I said, Radiohead (and SR) are now on my must-see-if-I-can list.

Last edited by infinite sadness; 01-05-2009 at 03:42 AM
infinite sadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:29 AM
Master Fan

Thanks! I put in quite a lot of effort so your appreciation, that makes me happy. It's really incomplete though - I'll have to tackle it when I have a bit of time. If you can find other stuff just post it here and I'll add it in.

Yes, I totally agree. The Eraser isn't as complex musically as other Radiohead songs. And it is? I didn't know that about studio 'Kid A'. I think I've never noticed it (I don't really pay attention to the lyrics of studio 'Kid A' because it's hard to hear). Hmm.

Yeah I know. I watched it and I realised you weren't around. Sigh. But hey! It is a good show. I really liked 'Backdrifts' (even though apparently Jonny has his solo for every live 'Backdrifts' performance. And I like how random the setlist is. And there was 'Scatterbrain' as well! not the best performance but it was amazing actually seeing them play it. OK MPiE is next! Promise! But that I'll have to really be in the mood for because I'm afraid, frankly...

Sorry, that was from 2001! It's funny though. Jonny is so funny. I love how he typed out all his actions in asterisks because I used to do that as well on MSN (but I stopped because I thought it was weird, no one else did it). But now that I know Jonny has done it before -

Old lady I like concerts. Most songs sound a lot better live because of the energy, like that time I saw Anberlin in concert and they were fantastic. But it's expensive so I can't go for that many. But Radiohead though! I would pay any amount to see them live, honestly.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Master Fan

Aww much thanks! Look, our video archive post is all nice and filled up now. Except the live section of HTTT. Simone (and welcome back by the way), do you know where I can find 'The Gloaming' from Eurockeennes? I really liked that version. And the B-side section. For that and the Unreleased song section, should we put videos for all songs or just nice performances?

And look, all of us have Radiohead signatures!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Passionate Fan

I suppose that makes me the odd one out, with a T&S sig.

So, I was wondering what's the weirdest RH-related purchase everyone's made? I mean, does anyone remember the Radiohead stool(s) that were up for sale on Ebay? Or the Radiohead pants, backpacks for sale via the official website(if I recall correctly).

I realize this makes me a big nerd, but I really wanted that backpack when I came across it online. Of course, I was like, I don't know, 15 or so. I looked for it again a couple of years ago and couldn't find it. I ended up coming across neighborhoodies.com, and had them customize a messenger bag for me with 'KID A' printed on the front of it. I'm always quite pleased when I bump into someone who notices the reference. I also had a suede guitar strap customized. Basically, I chose a few album covers(150x150), got them printed out and encased in plastic and then sewn onto the strap. One of the albums was The Bends.

God, I'm a dork...
street serenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top