Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 06:13 AM
Fan Forum Star

You`re very welcome. Just doing my part.

BTW i got my copy of Death Magnetic yesterday and it is without question Metallica`s best album in years. It is very addictive to listen to. In fact i`m going to listen to it again at a couple of more times today.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Elite Fan

I've been putting off buying it...but just about everyone I know has it and I feel out of the loop not being able to join in the conversations about the album. I'll see about downloading a few songs and if I like them, I'll get the album. Any suggestions of which songs to get?

Join the John Mayer campaign!
Old 09-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Elite Fan

1, 5. 9. 7.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:38 AM
Elite Fan

I just found out that the Video Game Guitar Hero 3 has the entire Death Magnetic album and it is not OVERLY LOUD and distorted at all!!! I *coughed* the music tracks that someone ripped from it - it is true! I would have bought the PS2 version just for the tracks to rip them myself if someone else had not done it yet. This is how the CD should have sounded. I expect Metallica will release this CD again soon with these masters on it rather than the one they did release. Or replace those CDs affected free of charge. Reminds me of that Primus 'Brown Album' incident... This and 'The Monica Lewinski' incident where due to Digital Cameras, NO ONE other than the one reporter with a film camera kept the pictures of Monica in them holding Bill Clinton's hands and other photos...Digital age is great and all, but sometimes errors do happen. Keep this in mind, not everything newer is instantly 'better'.

Guitar Hero 3 is available on Wii, Xbox 360, PC, PS2 and PS3.

Last edited by Camibra; 09-23-2008 at 05:50 AM
Old 09-23-2008, 07:14 AM
Elite Fan

I was actually just reading about that...how the GH versions are better than the actual CD album itself.

Metallica "Death Magnetic" sounds better in Guitar Hero - Mastering Media Blog

Old 09-25-2008, 05:18 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

They probably are, but there's nothing really wrong with the album as it is
and I will never be captive, or hostage, or confined.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 09-25-2008, 06:54 AM
Elite Fan

I take it you have not heard the difference between the CD and the Guitar Heroes 3 version?! is what it will do to you!!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Elite Fan

Hey, I haven't! I want to check out a few songs first before I buy the album. I usually do that for bands unless I'm like...hardcore into them.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:44 AM
Elite Fan

The real bought CD will not do the songs justice.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:12 AM
Elite Fan

This is what the official CD sounds like...

This is the best comparison I can find on YT...

In basic terms, what you are seeing are the frequencies of the track as it plays. Where you see spikes rising up and down as the line moves to the right, they are loud and drum parts usually. That is what normal tracks have! When you see and hear the 'Retail' bits of the above video, you will see and hear the distortion... When there are no spike up and down, it means the track is pretty much ********* to hell. When you see no spikes, the track has serious issues that can not be repaired - believe me, I have tried with this CD before the GH3 versions were realized plus other tracks over the years I have tried to fix... The damage is unrepairable, which is sad. But, the light at the end of the tunnel is the GH3 versions are out there. They are how the CD should have sounded. I mean, you can NOT even see the drum beats on the Retail version - I have tried this with my Retail CD version on Audacity vs the Guitar Hero 3 version - it is legitimate!

I do video and audio editing in many different ways so I know about this sort of thing and the CD version is rooted, get the game to get the best version of the tracks - I would give you a copy of the tracks to show you how much better they are if I could!

Pleas, PLEASE, keep in mind, these videos are by no way a perfect representation of how much better the GH3 versions are, it is easy to hear and see it on these YT videos, but they themselves are mono and compressed as it is so you will not know the difference unless you *cough* the GH3 version of the album and buy the Retail CD. you will see and hear and understand. You are missing out on some seriously good extra bits of all of the Death Magnetic album by not being able to hear the GH3 versions...

Last edited by Camibra; 09-26-2008 at 06:22 AM
Old 09-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

It is quite shocking when you actually see how compressed it actually is and I have no idea why anybody would intentionally do that!
and I will never be captive, or hostage, or confined.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 09-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Here is an article regarding Metallica and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Run-D.M.C., Metallica nominated for Rock Hall
Sept. 22, 2008, 10:04 AM EST

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Run-D.M.C. could "Walk This Way" into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The 1980s rap act, along with Metallica and the Stooges are among the nine nominees for next year's hall of fame class, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation announced Monday.

The other nominees are guitarist Jeff Beck, singer Wanda Jackson, Little Anthony and the Imperials, War, Bobby Womack, and disco and R&B group Chic, the only nominee back from last year's ballot.

The five leading vote-getters will be announced in January and inducted April 4, 2009, in Cleveland.

The ceremony typically has been held in New York but is returning to Cleveland after more than a decade-long absence. Tickets will be made available to the public for the first time.

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five opened the door for rap at the Rock Hall as the first hip-hop act to be inducted in 2007. Now, Run-D.M.C., nominated in the first year of its eligibility, has the chance to follow on the strength of rock and rap blends such as the 1986 cover of Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" and classics like "It's Tricky" and "My Adidas."

Metallica jumped on the heavy metal wave of the '80s and 25 years later is still selling out arenas. This month the group released "Death Magnetic," which marks a return to its early speed metal days.

The Stooges, recently given props in the film "Juno," get another shot after last appearing on the ballot two years ago.

Left off the ballot were Stevie Ray Vaughan and Bon Jovi. Both had been eligible for the first time. To be nominated an act must have released its first single or album 25 years prior.

More than 500 musicians, industry professionals and journalists vote on the inductions.

I`m very happy that Metallica got nominated in their first year. I would be shocked if they don`t get in the hall.

BTW i don`t see anything wrong with the sound of the CD.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Elite Fan

Listen to the first YT link I did - that is an example of how Justice would sound if compressed the way that Death Magnetic was... Surely you can notice the difference there?
Old 09-28-2008, 05:16 AM
Elite Fan

It's almost hard not to.

That's great that they were nominated...I don't think they'll have a problem getting in.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Master Fan

I have been a Metallica fan for years now and am so happy with the new CD. Very surprised with it and its much better than St. Anger. I mean its not their best by any means but I'm happy with it.

I do agree that the songs sound better on Guitar Hero and seem very loud and compressed but I still don't mind it.

"All Nightmare Long" and "Judas Kiss" I think are my favorites.

Awesome they got nominated for the Hall of Fame. Well deserved hopefully they get in this year but even if they don't they are a shoe in for the near future to make it in.

2013 NBA Champs
Closed Thread   Post New Thread