New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Charmed

Italo/Hi-NRG Discussion Thread

Thanks to the wonders of internet radio and Winamp, I've been checking out a lot of 80s music stations. This has led me to "discover" the Italo/Hi-NRG sound that was quite popular in some places during those days. It has also been called Eurodance. Back in the day, I was more of an early hiphop/new wave listener. I was also around 10-13 years old and there was not much exposure to the Hi-NRG sound where I lived. Dance music after disco sort of disappeared from the consciousness. I guess after the backlash that killed disco here in the States, only a few hardy souls continued to buy dance music. It become more pop-oriented, Michael Jackson/Madonna/Bangles, with hair metal in between.

There was basically no awareness of the music scene that was going on in Europe, with the exception of nightclubs. A few artists did manage to get exposure, like Dead or Alive (not sure why, though ).

But there was a lot of interesting stuff that came out from the Hi-NRG genre. Who has not heard of "Vamos A La Playa" by Righeira?

Basically, Italo, or Eurodisco, was an update on the disco sound that started in the 1970s. The sounds from that genre has some influence on the emergence of house music later on. Italo/Hi-NRG, you could say, acted as "bridges" connecting the disco sound of the 70s to the techno/electronica sound of today.

Here are some samples of the music of that era:

YouTube - My Mine - Hypnotic Tango 12" [Instrumental]
YouTube - CHARLIE - Space Woman ©1983
YouTube - BRIAN ICE - Over Again ©1988

and of course:

YouTube - Righeira - Vamos A La Playa

Any thoughts?

Movietime Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:12 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Charmed

Found this obscure group from the former Yugoslavia, called La Card. This song was made back in 1985.

This artist is named Rusya and this song is called Русалонька, which translates to "Mermaid"

Last edited by Movietime Blues; 10-29-2019 at 08:38 PM
Old 03-31-2019, 08:14 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Charmed

The song is Radio by Jane Hill.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:37 AM
Part-Time Fan

etcetera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:58 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Charmed

Old 04-27-2019, 08:55 AM
Part-Time Fan

I think Michael Cretu belongs to this category, but I'm not sure:

etcetera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:58 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Charmed

^Yes, it does belong here.

Steve Eden & Paul James - Memories Emotions

Last edited by Movietime Blues; 01-03-2020 at 01:29 AM
Old 05-20-2019, 09:29 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Charmed

This is a very underrated song:

Old 07-07-2019, 01:55 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Charmed

This one is a bit obscure, a rare song from an artist named Marc Harris (no relation to another Marc Harris in the current music scene, AFAIK):

Old 10-21-2019, 09:21 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Charmed

Old 11-06-2019, 01:44 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Charmed

Old 12-04-2019, 11:06 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Charmed

Old 12-12-2019, 08:46 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Charmed

Old 01-03-2020, 01:33 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Charmed

Old 04-24-2020, 01:15 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Charmed

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top