Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2005, 06:49 AM
Master Fan

Ryan as Danny in "The Believer" # 1

This is my favourite performance by Ryan, it was when I saw this movie that I realised he was an amazing actor. It's going to be difficult for him to perform such a strong character again.

I don't think we can appreciate much Danny as for his actions, etc. But this is one of the reasons why I love Ryan so much, so I'd love to discuss some more the movie!
"There are few out there who do still believe in you. A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds, those are the people I want in your hearts. [...]This game is not over. This battle is not over. Clear eyes, full hearts? CAN'T LOSE!"

Last edited by -Bianca-; 10-17-2006 at 09:12 PM
Old 07-01-2005, 06:51 AM
Elite Fan

It was one of those movies that made you think and made you question things. It could have been better written, I suppose, but it was powerful none the less.

It still burns me how they handled the release though... it killed any chance Ryan would have had for any awards and while he probably doesn't care, I do. He gave an acting clinic in this movie.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Just saw this movie and it was so severe and intese. Defintly a good performance. And as someone of the Jewish faith it was scary!
Old 07-01-2005, 06:54 AM
Master Fan

The movie blew me away when I first saw it, but later on when I saw it again I realised it wasn't as amazingly well directed as I had thought. Anyway, I still really like it.

And you're right, I always thought he'd get recognition for it..then I realised the movie was from a year ago and it had been released in here later, so he had no much chances to get awards anymore. Anyway I think he did get an award, or at least some nomination in Sundance? Or it wasn't sundance? but it was some festival.
"There are few out there who do still believe in you. A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds, those are the people I want in your hearts. [...]This game is not over. This battle is not over. Clear eyes, full hearts? CAN'T LOSE!"
Old 07-01-2005, 06:57 AM
Elite Fan

He got an Independent Spirit nom, but he wasn't eligible for most of the other major awards because the film was sold to Showtime and it aired there before it really got picked up in any theatres. Stupid rules.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:00 AM
Master Fan

Oh! I didn't know that. I thought he was just ignored! Okay...that's good news, now I'll think everyone loved him adored him, they wanted to give him all the awards on the world but just couldn't.

I guess it was better for the producers to sell the movie then, maybe they gained something by doing it that soon? I have no idea
Old 07-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Elite Fan

He was very good in this part. He came off very natural, and I loved the subtleness in his performance. His inner conflict came through nicely. I thought he really held the movie together just with his performance which says a lot about his talent
Old 07-01-2005, 08:37 AM
Master Fan

I loved his performance in this movie. It was intense and very natural. It just blew me away.

Thanks to dirtyfootprints for the avi
Old 07-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Extreme Fan

I have been trying to get my hands on this movie for a long time, but in Puerto Rico it's been tough. I think I am going to have to order it from amazon.com soon.
Bunny #69
http://sctransresources.org
Old 07-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

This is a very thought provoking film, if difficult to watch because of the material. The idea that you could become so outraged at the passiveness, and in your mind, nothingness of your own religion (and by extension things that are within yourself; Danny was essentially self-loathing) that you could act out against it so strongly, is a fascinating concept to me. The movie also brings up how deeply some traditions of one's faith can become ingrained in you; Danny can't bring himself to allow the Torah to be tainted even with what he's doing. Ryan was absolutely incredible in it; one of the best performances I think I've EVER seen. I wish he would have gotten an award for it; he made up for any failings in the writing or the directing because his performance was so powerful and multi-layered.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Addicted Fan

I had known who Ryan was from "Remember the Titans" and from "Breaker High" but one night I was up late and I saw a commercial for "The Believer" on Showtime. I wrote down the date and watched it when it came on and that's when I really became a Ryan fan. He was SO amazing, so intense and I have yet to see anything as powerful from him. Don't get me wrong, I love all of his movies but "The Believer" is without a doubt my favorite.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Absolute Fan

This movie was so intense and you really get to see what an amazing actor Ryan is. Danny is such a tragic character. Ryan did an awesome job playing him.

That really sucks about the awards thing, He really did deserve to get a few nominations for it.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Obsessed Fan

He was absolutely incredible in this film. I had read about it in Entertainment Weekly and on a Ryan fansite, and I couldn't wait for it to come on. Finally they showed in Showtime before it was in theatres and I was just blown away. The movie as a whole was so intense and mind blowing, and Ryan was amazing. His performance in "The Believer" was his best so far, in my opinion.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda105
He was absolutely incredible in this film. I had read about it in Entertainment Weekly and on a Ryan fansite, and I couldn't wait for it to come on. Finally they showed in Showtime before it was in theatres and I was just blown away. The movie as a whole was so intense and mind blowing, and Ryan was amazing. His performance in "The Believer" was his best so far, in my opinion.
I definitely think it was his best performance to date. The Notebook is probably my favorite of his movies in terms of pure enjoyment, but The Believer was the most powerful and he was mind-blowing in it.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Extreme Fan

Yay finally a Ryan board! it's about time...anyway, i definitely think this movie is a reflection of ryan's best bit of acting to date. it's one of my favorite roles of his, very oscar worthy.

in a tribute to the film and ryan's performance, i made a music video. you can check it out here:

Beyond Redemption

It includes major spoilers and obvious controversial subject matter, just so you know. I hope you enjoy it

Formerly: The OC | The Office
Currently: The 100