Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2016, 03:05 AM
Dedicated Fan

I read a statement of Sacha Pfeiffer yesterday in which she said that as Morgan Freeman was making the announcement, she was internally preparing herself to console the real life Spotlight team after The Revenant's win It's really amazing what this movie has achieved. So proud that Rachel has been a part of that
Old 03-01-2016, 04:36 AM
Master Fan

I'M JUST SO PROUD!! I'm so impressed with the whole cast and crew this season, I really think they deserve this BP win!
Old 03-02-2016, 01:54 PM
Master Fan

New quote from Rachel on McCarthy:
Quote:
Side note: He and Sandler are still good friends; according to Spotlight actress Rachel McAdams, McCarthy actually left the set of Spotlight for a few days to do a voice part in Sandler's Pixels. “He skipped out of work one day to play a robot!” McAdams told me. “Which I just love. I thought that was so quintessentially Tom.”
http://www.vulture.com/2016/03/tom-m...t-oscars.html#
Old 03-02-2016, 11:14 PM
Dedicated Fan

That's a great quote! Thanks, Lindsey

An article about the award consultant Lisa Taback and her campaigns during this award season, especially with Spotlight: After a Big Night at the Oscars, an Awards Consultant Finds Herself in the Spotlight - Hollywood Reporter

Quote:
she kept the journalists and survivors portrayed in the film on the circuit with its stars from the Toronto International Film Festival through Oscar night, which gave the film a stamp of authenticity and credibility that few others possessed; she also kept its large ensemble of stars engaged and invested in the campaign for six months, whereas competitors' stars were largely MIA. And she facilitated pseudo-events, like a screening of the film for the Vatican Commission investigating sexual abuse and an LA Press Club award for the real journalists, which emphasized the notion that the film was making a real-world impact.
All things aside, I think this campaign has also been great for us in the way it gave us the opportunity to see much more of Rachel! I also think that was why Rachel hasn't been to London to shoot Doctor Strange for the last couple of months, they must have reached some kind of understanding with Marvel I guess? Or at least I hope so -so that Rachel's shooting with Doctor Strange will continue now
Old 03-03-2016, 02:36 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for sharing the article! It's an interesting read. I agree with the fact that the Spotlight cast were very much involved in the award season campaign but I also think other contenders were. But I guess it's easier with a big ensemble and the reporters being involved to schedule appearances.

Rachel wasn't really part of the award season campaign until after the Oscar nominations announcement. I think her co-stars, including Ruffalo and Keaton, were more actively involved in the campaign before the Oscars nominations. I'm not sure what to think about Doctor Strange filming anymore if I'm being honest. Rachel could have easily gone back to London for filming and also be part of award season. That would have been a hectic schedule, but it's not really uncommon for actors to film on location and also be part of award season.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:51 AM
Dedicated Fan

Come to think of it, I agree with you Lindsey. She could have gone back and forth between London and LA. I don't know why I had thought Marvel gave her time off to campaign for the Oscars But it would be such a bummer if her scenes in Doctor Strange are so limited and they have been all wrapped by December because I don't think she's been back there since then.
I think Rachel was the only cast member of to attend all the big award shows during the season. She started with the Golden Globes and attended all the others except BAFTA (which is in fact another bummer about Doctor Strange shootings ) And all these award shows, except the Golden Globes, had taken place after her Best Supporting Actress nomination. Maybe that's why they decided to make her attend more events and screenings in LA. I remember how frustrated we were when she couldn't attend the premiere in New York because she was working in London.

That article was so enlightening but a bit depressing in my opinion. Can you believe how hard it actually is to get an Oscar?! Even harder than you'd imagine it to be Anyhow, it's all water under the bridge now for Spotlight They did it!

And that tweet is EVERYTHING! Academy Award Winner Best Picture: Spotlight!
Old 03-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Master Fan

I'm thinking about the quote again from the award consultant and I do think the entire cast was very proud to promote this movie As they should be, it's such an amazing movie to be apart of

It's expanding to 1,000 theaters this weekend:
Quote:
Best Picture Oscar winner “Spotlight” will expand to about 1,000 theaters this weekend, Open Road Films said Monday. Its’s a victory lap for “Spotlight,” the R-rated drama detailing the Boston Globe’s uncovering of the Catholic Church’s sex abuse scandal. It also won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay, which was written by director Tom McCarthy and Josh Singer.

“Spotlight” opened in limited release on Nov. 6 and has gone on to take in $39.1 million domestically, about 30 percent of which has come after its Jan. 14 Best Picture nomination. It has also grossed $22.6 million overseas for a worldwide total of $61.8 million, against a budget of $20 million
More: Best Picture Oscar Winner 'Spotlight' Adds Theaters
Old 03-05-2016, 07:49 AM
Dedicated Fan

Totally agree. I've always felt that they didn't see it as work but rather enjoyed being there and the whole experience. I know I'm biased because of Rachel but I actually felt like they all enjoyed each other's company. For instance I loved their photos with the SAG awards, they all looked like a great group of friends enjoying their success And the same with that infamous Oscar photo on the floor And of course that other infamous photo when they announced the Best Picture winner: Liev Schreiber and Mark Ruffalo looking like their heads are going to explode and Rachel looks like she's going to pass out in shock Finally, I should say that I loved Rachel and Micheal Keaton's interaction throughout the season I'd very much like to see them work together again.

Do you guys happen to know a link to Rachel's red carpet interview with ABC at the Oscars? I couldn't watch it live and couldn't find it anywhere else afterwards
Old 03-05-2016, 12:16 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laleb (View Post)
For instance I loved their photos with the SAG awards, they all looked like a great group of friends enjoying their success And the same with that infamous Oscar photo on the floor And of course that other infamous photo when they announced the Best Picture winner: Liev Schreiber and Mark Ruffalo looking like their heads are going to explode and Rachel looks like she's going to pass out in shock
i agree! it's so lovely to see them be such close friends the past several months!

also, the oscar campaign analysis is amazing. what an interesting read.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:07 AM
Master Fan

This is all such good stuff, thanks for sharing, everyone!
Old 03-07-2016, 01:16 AM
Master Fan

The BO results:
Quote:
Cashing in on the Oscar spoils, Open Road took Spotlight out to its widest reach since opening in November. The Best Picture winner did a pretty good job in more than 1,200 theaters grossing $1.83M.

Spotlight, Brooklyn and Room grabbed audiences following their Oscar nominations for Best Picture, and Tom McCarthy’s winner Spotlight was expanded by Open Road by 542 more theaters than the previous weekend, taking the title to its widest reach to date. It grossed an estimated $1,831,889 in 1,227 theaters, averaging a decent $1,493 given that it is in its 18th weekend of release. An Oscar may be priceless, but box office comes down to numbers, and Spotlight‘s bump wasn’t huge.

Brooklyn didn’t take home any Oscars, but still had a good run. Searchlight played the film in 190 fewer theaters than the previous weekend, grossing $390K, averaging $1,359. Spotlight’s 18 week cume is over $37.22 million.

Spotlight (Open Road Films) Week 18 [1,227 Theaters] Weekend $1,831,889, Average $1,493, Cume $41,628,028
Terrence Malick’s ‘Knight Of Cups’ Bows Decent – Specialty Box Office | Deadline
Old 03-09-2016, 01:59 AM
Master Fan

I always enjoy seeing how these things break down. Thanks for sharing the numbers, Lindsey!
Old 03-10-2016, 02:25 AM
Master Fan

More (international) BOX results:

Quote:
A little Oscar love goes a long way.

Fresh off its best picture victory at this year’s Academy Awards, “Spotlight” has gotten a box office boost both domestically and in foreign markets, where a talky drama about a sex abuse investigation would otherwise be a hard sell. Stateside, ticket sales enjoyed a 140% uptick, taking in $1.8 million last weekend and pushing the North American total to nearly $42 million. That’s particularly impressive considering that “Spotlight” has been available on home entertainment platforms since Feb. 23.

“It’s a movie that a lot of people want to see in theaters,” said Jason Cassidy, chief marketing officer at Open Road, the indie label that had domestic rights. “It’s a profoundly emotional experience that people respond to when they see it on a big screen.”

He added that the film was the best performing picture or second best performing picture in several complexes. “Spotlight,” an account of the Boston Globe’s Pulitzer Prize-winning reports on the Catholic Church’s cover-up of wide spread sexual abuse by its priests, also won a best original screenplay Oscar. Its victory over “The Revenant” in the top category was seen as a major upset.

Overseas, box office has also been robust. The picture closed the weekend with another $5.8 million in the bank, an increase of more than 100% from the previous weekend. “Spotlight’s” foreign total stands at $33.2 million.

Territory by territory interest was stoked by the awards attention. In the United Kingdom, box office results rose 70% to $477,000; in Australia ticket sales climbed 94% to $318,000; in Spain there was a spike of nearly 600% to $567,000, and in Mexico sales leaped 807% to $122,000. To capitalize on the attention, overseas distributors increased the screen count by roughly 30% as soon as the win was announced, and Entertainment One, which handled foreign licensing and distribution rights for the film and controls several major territories such as Canada and the U.K., quickly arranged to have marketing materials touting the win shipped out to its partners around the globe.

“There’s a lot of awareness about the awards,” said Steve Bertram, president of Entertainment One’s global film group. “The Academy Awards are a global brand, and we made sure that the message is resonating in our marketing materials.”

“We were able to mobilize the team, so we were speaking with one voice,” he added.
‘Spotlight’ Gets Box Office Boost from Oscar Win | Variety
According to Box Office Mojo it currently made $72,274,175 in total world wide: Spotlight (2015) - Box Office Mojo
Old 03-10-2016, 04:26 AM
Dedicated Fan

I'm so glad to hear this It's true that there is a huge awareness for the Academy Awards all around the world. Many more people would want to see the movie now that it's got the Best Picture Oscar
Old 03-11-2016, 04:56 AM
Master Fan

Thomas J. Driscoll recalls working on set with Rachel:
Quote:
Not many men would slam the door in Rachel McAdams’s face, but limo driver Thomas J. Driscoll of Sandwich did just that for the world to see.

Mr. Driscoll, who owns and drives for Cape Sky Limo, played the role of “Disgruntled Man” in the Academy Award-winning film, “Spotlight,” which tells the story of The Boston Globe’s investigation into the infamous sex abuse scandal that shook the Roman Catholic community in the Boston Diocese.

Ms. McAdams plays investigative journalist Sacha Pfeiffer in the movie. When she knocks on the disgruntled man’s door, he turns her away in no uncertain terms, closing the door on her.

“It’s all business on set,” Mr. Driscoll said. “Although I did apologize to Rachel McAdams for being so disgruntled!”

“Spotlight” was the first movie he formally auditioned for, but it was not Mr. Driscoll’s first Hollywood role. He also appeared as a parishioner in “Black Mass,” which details the rise and fall of South Boston gangster Whitey Bulger, and as a cop in “The Finest Hours,” which is based on the true story of a dramatic rescue at sea.
More: Sandwich Man Had Part In Oscar Winning Film | Sandwich News | capenews.net