Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2017, 02:18 AM
Master Fan

Another project Rachel was once rumored/attached for seem to be moving forward: Paul Greengrass is now attached to direct "Ness" and Rachel was once rumored to be in (early) talks for this.

I remember that in 2008 there was a lot of back and forward around this project, and I was never sure how much Rachel was attached to this. I do hope they will keep her in mind tho, now that it seems to be moving forward (again).

Some of the original reports from back when Rachel was in talks for this:
Quote:
Along with telling MTV that his take on the film would be a "complete reimagining" of the graphic novel by Brian Bendis and Marc Andreyko -- in which a post-"Untouchables" Eliot Ness investigates a Cleveland serial killer -- Fincher confirmed that many of the casting rumors (Matt Damon as Ness, Rachel McAdams and Casey Affleck in supporting roles) remain firmly in "rumor" category... for now.

"I've never spoken with Rachel McAdams, though it's a fine idea," Fincher told MTV. "I've spoken with Casey."
David Fincher On Rachel McAdams/Casey Affleck 'Ness' Casting Rumors, Appeal Of 'Torso' Adaptation - MTV
Quote:
"I don't know what's going on with that project. I don't know that it's actually happening," said McAdams. "[Fincher] might be doing something else."

According to McAdams, she had never really heard much about the film, so she's probably not the best source for an update—but she did say that she hadn't spoken to Fincher about it, so the rumors of her attachment were exactly that: rumors.
Rachel McAdams On David Fincher's 'Torso' Adaptation: 'I Don't Know That It's Actually Happening' - MTV
Quote:
A source inside the negotiations says Damon and Affleck are ready to go, and that McAdams has expressed interest, but Paramount has yet to pull the proverbial trigger.
Matt Damon, David Fincher thriller 'Ness' in limbo
Old 03-28-2017, 11:32 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Yay!
Old 03-30-2017, 07:32 PM
Dedicated Fan

I wonder what sort of role Rachel would play in the movie. It would be awesome if she could work with Paul Greengrass though. She needs more thriller/action type of movies in her filmography. "True Detective" wasn't enough.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:45 AM
Master Fan

Well said, Wendy! I do think she is looking for those kind of movies, but sadly there are not many out there for actresses.

Sad that Cold(est) City never happened, it's not retitled to "Atomic Blonde" with Charlize Theron (who is also producing):

It might have been a different tone of movie tho, since they seem to have change things since Rachel first got attached but she was so amazing in "Red Eye".
Old 03-31-2017, 01:41 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Love the video!
Old 05-15-2017, 02:29 AM
Master Fan

I was rereading some of Rachel's older interviews and came across one from 2013 in which she mentioned she turned down "Notting Hill":
Quote:
Rachel McAdams has revealed it was second time lucky for filmmaker Richard Curtis, after she turned down a role in Notting Hill. The Notebook star plays Mary opposite Domhnall Gleeson as time-travelling Tim in the new romantic drama About Time, which Richard wrote and directed.

And Rachel revealed she also had the chance to star in 1999’s Notting Hill, which Richard penned and produced. “I turned down Notting Hill. He wasn’t directing it!” said the actress.
I found this an interesting tidbit and it does makes me wonder which part she turned down. According to wiki filming began April 17, 1998. This would mean filming began when Rachel was still at York University and only in her second year (she went from 1997 to 2001), when she was only 19 years old. Given the age, it seems like a stretch that she was considers for Julia Roberts part.

I'm very curious which part she did turn down. I was thinking maybe the part that Mischa Barton played, although Barton was only twelve at the time so that also doesn't seem likely.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:10 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Interesting finding!
Old 05-15-2017, 05:25 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey- (View Post)
I was rereading some of Rachel's older interviews and came across one from 2013 in which she mentioned she turned down "Notting Hill":

I found this an interesting tidbit and it does makes me wonder which part she turned down. According to wiki filming began April 17, 1998. This would mean filming began when Rachel was still at York University and only in her second year (she went from 1997 to 2001), when she was only 19 years old. Given the age, it seems like a stretch that she was considers for Julia Roberts part.

I'm very curious which part she did turn down. I was thinking maybe the part that Mischa Barton played, although Barton was only twelve at the time so that also doesn't seem likely.
WHOA. That's wildddd. I barely remember that movie lol!

It sucks "Coldest City" ended up going to Charlize Theron. Goddammit, I really wonder about her career sometimes. She really needs like a box office hit that's an action movie. Not so much comedies or dramas. Can she pick more mainstream movies please T___T
Old 05-15-2017, 06:17 PM
Dedicated Fan

I'm wondering if the character that Rachel was supposed to play even made it into the film? She might have also played Hugh Grant's younger sister, Honey.

Quote:
Honey, played by Emma Chambers, is William's (Hugh Grant) loony but sweet, loyal and honest younger sister. She appears throughout the film as one of the core group of friends and family around William. Her flaming red hair, "slightly googly" eyes, loony laugh and brilliant smile, made real by a habit of falling for "cruel men" make her character endearingly human.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Same here!
Old 05-17-2017, 08:07 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maebyfunke (View Post)
I'm wondering if the character that Rachel was supposed to play even made it into the film? She might have also played Hugh Grant's younger sister, Honey.
Me too! It's interesting because it's set in the UK the only characters (I could think of) who are non-British are Julia Roberts' characters and some of the cast playing actors in the press junket scenes, including Micha Barton's part. I can see her in Emily Mortimer's part, who played "perfect girl" according to IMDB. If I remember correctly she is one of the women Grant dates after he broke it up with Julia Robert's character.

What makes it more interesting is that Roger Michell directed this, and he directed Rachel in Morning Glory. Which makes me wonder if he also auditioned her for Notting Hill and maybe wanted to work with her since then?
Old 05-17-2017, 11:28 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Sounds interesting!
Old 05-18-2017, 05:16 PM
Dedicated Fan

I totally think you're on to something. I forgot about Emily Mortimer's part in the movie, but it would make sense for her to have a small part like that. Plus her character was so charming! Anyway, I think Roger Michell made a good choice casting her in a way bigger role.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

He sure did!
Old 05-20-2017, 01:16 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maebyfunke (View Post)
I totally think you're on to something. I forgot about Emily Mortimer's part in the movie, but it would make sense for her to have a small part like that. Plus her character was so charming! Anyway, I think Roger Michell made a good choice casting her in a way bigger role.
Agreed, although Emily's character is also from the UK but I can see them casting a non-British one for that because doesn't really matter where she is from. I love these little connections though, because Julia Roberts has frequently mentioned that she wanted to work with Rachel over the years. Also, the media started to refer to Rachel as "the next Julia Roberts" after her breakout in 2004-2005. Plus, Emily is married to Alessandro Nivola, who co-stars in "Disobedience". Hollywood really is a small world.

Speaking of Julia Roberts, I wouldn't mind if Richard Curtis wrote and directed a movie and casted Julia and Rachel in it