Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Part-Time Fan

Collider have just uploaded a video interview with Thomas McCarthy & Adam Sander from TIFF, which includes a few questions regarding Spotlight. McCarthy confirms they will be filming in The Boston Globe and at Fenway Park (home of the Boston Red Sox baseball team). The 'Spotlight' questions begin at around 11:15 into the clip.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for sharing Nick This is probably a bit of wishful thinking but to me it sounds like he is aware of the news reports about the casting and seems like he confirms.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Part-Time Fan

The role of Matt Carroll in the Spotlight film has been cast - and Matt himself confirmed this on Twitter:

Quote:
Surreal time: Brian d'Arcy James playing me in #Spotlight movie on Catholic priest sex abuse
Soon after, Deadline reported on the addition to the cast:

Quote:
Brian d’Arcy James has joined the cast of Spotlight, the Boston pedophile priest film from director Tom McCarthy. Mark Ruffalo, Michael Keaton, Liev Schreiber and Rachel McAdams star in the pic written by Tom McCarthy and Josh Singer. James plays Matty Carroll, one of the key Spotlight team members at the Boston Globe who helps uncover the years of abuse by church leadership. James’ credits include TV’s Smash, The Good Wife and The Big C; he also starred on Broadway as the title ogre in Shrek: The Musical. He is repped by Gersh and Thruline Entertainment.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:27 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for the updates Nick! Happy to see Rachel's name mentioned in the report!
Old 09-15-2014, 04:56 AM
Master Fan

I think the pre-production work for Spotlight might have started. Rachel was spotted in Boston yesterday (also posted this sighting in the news thread):
Quote:
Walking behind Rachel McAdams on the streets of Boston...life= made
https://twitter.com/asantorsolaa/sta...10894500831232
And a new quote from McCartney:
Quote:
That next movie, Spotlight, about the Catholic Church abuse scandal in Boston, seems like a complete 180 from what you just did.
Yeah, it totally is. It was part of my master plan about two and a half years ago and I just wanted that experience of directing back-to-back. And I do like the idea that these movies are so, so extremely different. I felt like I needed to shake things up a little bit and try experimenting. Both The Cobbler and Spotlight really feel like they’re different than my previous three movies. Ultimately we all want to make great movies but it’s a craft and we’ve got to keep trying and pushing ourselves.

Has your acting informed your directing in any way?
It certainly has informed my writing. I think when you’re at your computer you’re constantly wrestling with what sounds right, how would you do it, how would you say it, how would you act it. I love working with actors, I love rehearsal, I love, one, staying out of their way so they can do their best work, and two, just kind of being there to guide it a little bit when they need it.
More: 'Cobbler' Director on Casting Adam Sandler, Transitioning From Acting and What's Next
I thought it's interesting he mentions he loves rehearsals. I'm not sure the budget of Spotlight allows it but it's possible there will be rehearsals then. That might explain the September start date. Maybe they will start rehearsals in September before actually start with filming in October.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:15 AM
Master Fan

Great quotes! And I think with the names we have in the cast so far it probably has a pretty fine budget, so this doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility at all to me.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:51 AM
Master Fan

Made a thread for Spotlight: http://www.fanforum.com/f215/rachels...-1-a-63132417/

New True Detective rumors:
Quote:
Time may be a flat circle, as Matthew McConaughey mused in “True Detective,” but HBO and writer/creator Nic Pizzolatto need to get moving on casting the female lead for the second season.

To that end, TheWrap has obtained the list of seven actresses who have been invited back to read this week for the coveted role. HBO had no comment regarding the shortlist.

While early rumors swirled around “Mad Men's” Elisabeth Moss and Rachel McAdams (neither actress should be ruled out of contention yet), the fact that Pizzolatto is focusing on auditioning a new group indicates the role is truly up for grabs.
More: 'What's the Deal?' 7 Actresses Vying to Star in 'True Detective' (Exclusive) - TheWrap
Old 09-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Dedicated Fan

i like that list tbh. thewrap makes a good point about the three male leads being white and they should cast rosario dawson in the role bc she would add to los angeles' diverse look. plus, she deserves a bigger stardom. i like jessica biel too. if that list is true, i wouldn't mind a couple of them being cast instead of rachel so rachel can focus on SPOTLIGHT... :3
Old 09-17-2014, 03:29 AM
Master Fan

Spotlight will wrap up in November and TD will start around that time so there shouldn't be a schedule problem.

Justin Kroll from Variety, who reported Rachel and Moss being considered, tweeted the following:
Quote:
One thing about that @TheInSneider TD female post, McAdams and Moss are up for role of Vince Vaughn's wife the others reading are up for cop
https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/511670624951873536
Old 09-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Dedicated Fan

Oh that's really interesting!! Thanks for the tweet, Lindsey!
Old 09-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Master Fan

You're welcome Wendy. I forgot to add that Nick pointed out the tweet to me so kuddos to him

I feel like I should also mention here that Rachel was spotted back in NYC yesterday and today. I posted the sightings in the news thread. It might be for pre-production work for "Spotlight" but the HBO headquarters are located in New York
Old 09-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Master Fan

I really don't want her to have the role of the wife. Or. I mean. Well. Michelle Monaghan's role as the wife wasn't so bad last season. I just want it to be something meaty, I do NOT want her to just be THE WIFE. You guys know what I mean.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:18 PM
Dedicated Fan

^ yes. word. totally agree!

i saw a jessica chastain interview yesterday about how she once turned down a project because she didn't believe she would have chemistry with the lead actor. i wonder what it was, and since the competition for great female roles is so fierce, i wonder if rachel ever got any of jessica's leftovers...
Old 09-19-2014, 05:21 PM
Master Fan

That is really interesting! What is Jessica doing these days, is she working or taking a break? I feel like I haven't heard her name come up in a while.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:48 AM
Master Fan

So Farrell apparently confirmed he is doing True Detective:
Quote:
Hollywood heartthrob Colin Farrell has revealed that he has landed a leading role in the second series of True Detective.

The star is reportedly set to play Ray Velcoro, who has been damaged by years of trauma in both his personal and professional lives.

The first series of the HBO hit starred Oscar winner Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson.

However, the second instalment will star an entirely new cast.

Speaking to The Sunday World, the Irish actor confirmed, “I’m doing the second series. I’m so excited.”

"I know it will be eight episodes and take around four or five moths to shoot."

The 38-year-old added that he knew very little about what to expect but said that the new series will be shot "in the environs of LA."

"Which is great. It means I get to stay at home and see the kids."

The Dublin native is remaining tight lipped about the rest of the cast revealing parts are still being locked down.

The Sunday World reports notebook beauty Rachel McAdams and Mad Men's Elisabeth Moss fighting it out for the same part.

The pair are both believed to be in contention for the role of a “no nonsense” hard drinking Californian sheriff.
More: Colin Farrell confirms he has landed leading role in HBO hit True Detective - Irish Mirror Online
The original report from Sunday World is here. I have to say, I'm not sure I believe this report because I've never heard from the source and it seems a bit odd that Farrell confirmed it himself without HBO announcing it.