Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2015, 05:19 AM
Master Fan

So I was watching the Graham Norton show with Meryl Streep, Mark Ruffalo and James McAvoy and Mark mentioned meeting a fan in Toronto (around the 5:38 mark). I think this might have been when he was in TO for Spotlight. It's a really fun story!
Old 01-18-2015, 08:50 AM
Master Fan

Just realized that Spotlight has two 2015 Oscar Nominees: Michael Keaton and Mark Ruffalo Just like the Untitled Cameron Crowe project which was Bradley and Emma, also in the leading and supporting category.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:21 AM
Master Fan

Rachel works with so many critically acclaimed people, it's killing me that she hasn't had the same recognition yet. This HAS to be her year!!
Old 01-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda s. (View Post)
I'm already planning to go to TIFF this year because I anticipate Rachel being there with at least one film, . Thanks for sharing!
Call me, gurl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey- (View Post)
Just realized that Spotlight has two 2015 Oscar Nominees: Michael Keaton and Mark Ruffalo Just like the Untitled Cameron Crowe project which was Bradley and Emma, also in the leading and supporting category.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda s. (View Post)
Rachel works with so many critically acclaimed people, it's killing me that she hasn't had the same recognition yet. This HAS to be her year!!
Word.

It just has to be 2015!
Old 01-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Part-Time Fan

According to the Projection List, Spotlight projection release date is Fall 2015. Can't wait to watch it!

The Projection List
Old 01-21-2015, 06:53 AM
Master Fan

That's great Lis, thanks for sharing! I wonder on which they have based this info. I do think this is a good movie for fall festival season, so let's hope we will find out a firm date soon

EDIT: Nevermind, just noticed that they list it as 'projected'

Last edited by winterbird; 01-21-2015 at 07:19 AM
Old 01-21-2015, 08:18 AM
Master Fan

I think it's a pretty decent guess though, I for sure see this one as a strong contender.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:50 PM
Part-Time Fan

Michael Keaton did an interview with Hitfix and talked a bit about his character on "Spotlight"

Quote:
I went to grad school for journalism at USC here. The LA Times is kind of like the Trojan mafia. Lots of USC people in there. Or at least it was like that for a long time.

Really? I didn't know that. Hey, did you know that — did we talk about this, given that you're a journalist, that I just did this movie called "Spotlight?" Did we talk about that?

Not yet.

I play Walter Robinson, "Robby" Robinson. He called himself a player/coach but he was essentially the editor of the kind of Metro section of the Boston Globe called Spotlight. They all won a Pulitzer. They uncovered the Cardinal Law Catholic Church abuse scandal and exposed that.

You play CNN producer Robert Wiener in that. I don't think you've played real people too often. Is that something that you had any trepidation about? Taking on a real guy? Or do you feel that way in general?

I do. I do have trepidation about it because I find it hard. "Robby" Robinson, we got to be friends. And first of all, Wiener, I look nothing like Wiener. I kind of sound nothing like Wiener. I liked him, but I don't think there's much that we have in common. I went to talk to him when he was living on a barge. I think he still lives on the Seine in Paris with his wife and I think his kid, which I thought was pretty cool. I hung out with him there and just asked him a bunch of stuff and we communicated. But you feel a responsibility and it's that tricky thing where, like, with Robby, we immediately hit it off and we are remarkably similar in a lot of ways in kind of how we think about things and our take on stuff. And he's very subtle. He's cagey. He gets stuff without people knowing he's really getting stuff. There was a lot about his personality I found really interesting.

I do have trepidation when I play people, though. "The Paper," he was a created a character. But he was actually loosely based on Mike McAlary, the guy who passed away from the Daily News. [Tom] Hanks played him on Broadway [in "Lucky Guy"]. It was loosely based on that type of a guy and I hung out with him. Walter, it's not like I do an impersonation of him — except I did when I had some physical things, because how he carries himself, sometimes physically what he does kind of dictates how he gets what he gets. I can't quite explain it, but if it didn't I probably wouldn't have bothered. And also, it's so un-"Birdman." Like, there's no real giant, high energy thing. In fact he's kind of a quiet, slow-moving kind of guy to some degree, until he really gets going on something and then I'm told you cannot get him off of it. He's very powerful and very direct but until he reaches that point, he's a really pretty easy-going guy, but very cagey about how he gets information. Not in a bad way, in a really cool way, like a bird dog. So I kind of had mannerisms I observed. But I always dreaded having to do a Boston accent, because I don't find them easy and also they change neighborhood to neighborhood. We're similar in that he's curious about a lot of different stratas of society and he's pretty good at moving in a lot of different circles.

Chameleonic?

Yeah. But even in his personality, when he's not doing his job, he's very bright. His education wasn't anything outstanding. He'll be the first one to tell you that. He's a veteran, an Army veteran. He moves from class to class real easily. He was a working class kid and went to a Catholic school and is connected to Catholic school enough, but not really, like, locked in that deeply. And so I really found that interesting. So his accent, I was told by Tom [McCarthy] and the other guys, he told them that's one reason he just doesn't really have one. But he will fall into one when he's around people from his neighborhood or other neighborhoods. But then his r's get hard and he does "ing" and sometimes he doesn't do "ing." So when I saw that I thought, "Oh, shoot, now how do I determine when he's speaking with a Boston accent and when he's not?" So little things like that were hard. But basically what you want to do is be true to the guy, and I don't mean protect him, I just mean be who they are, you know? Not try to make them nicer than they are or anything. You know what I mean?

Totally.

And I guess it's because I'm lazy that I think, "Oh, shoot, here we go. Now I got to do the work. I wish this was going to be easier than I thought."

Michael Keatons love of journalism: The Paper, Live from Baghdad, Spotlight
Old 01-29-2015, 03:22 AM
Master Fan

That's really interesting, thanks for sharing it!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:11 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for sharing Lis, great quote!
Old 01-29-2015, 09:20 PM
Part-Time Fan

He also mentioned this movie when talking to Zach Galifianakis:

Quote:
If it was me I wouldn't be doing anything, to be honest. If I was Batman I would be in Montana right now. I'd be soaking it up!

I told Zach [Galifianakis], I said, "I think we're going to do this movie 'Spotlight.'" He looks at me with a funny smirk. I go, "What's that about?" And he goes, "Man, if I was you, I wouldn't be doing nothing. Just sitting back and enjoying everything."

Dont call it a comeback: Michael Keaton on biding time, waiting for a Birdman
Old 01-30-2015, 04:25 AM
Master Fan

That's so cute and funny! True though, I'd just be hanging out too.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:53 AM
Master Fan

That's great, thanks for sharing Lis! I think it's great Michael Keaton mentions the movie so often while promoting Birdman. Hopefully this means he enjoyed working on Spotlight as well.

Speaking of Zach Galifianakis, I wouldn't mind of Rachel went on Between Two Ferns. Those 'interviews' never fail to make me laugh
Old 01-31-2015, 09:09 AM
Master Fan

I completely agree! I'm looking forward to her getting to interact with the cast of this one for promo too, just like in general.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:34 AM
Master Fan

First still got released:

Quote:
Exclusive first look at eOne’s anticipated drama Spotlight, about the Boston Globe investigation into sexual abuse in the Catholic Church.

From left to right: Michael Keaton as Walter “Robby” Robinson, Spotlight Team editor; Liev Schreiber as Marty Baron, Boston Globe editor; Mark Ruffalo as Michael Rezendes, Boston Globe reporter; Rachel McAdams as Sacha Pfeiffer, Boston Globe reporter; John Slattery as Ben Bradlee, Jr., Boston Globe deputy managing editor; Brian d’Arcy James as Matt Carroll, Boston Globe reporter.
First image: Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo in Spotlight | News | Screen