Mark Ruffalo ... Michael Rezendes
Liev Schreiber ... Marty Baron
Stanley Tucci ... Mitchell Garabedian
Michael Keaton ... Walter 'Robby' Robinson
Billy Crudup ... Eric MacLeish
Brian d'Arcy James ... Matty Carroll

Original News Reports

Quote:
THR: Mark Ruffalo, Michael Keaton and Stanley Tucci are all in talks to star in Tom McCarthy’s “Spotlight,” which follows the Pulitzer Prize-winning Boston Globe journalists who exposed the Catholic Church’s decades-long cover-up of child molestation in Massachusetts, multiple individuals familiar with the prestige project have told TheWrap.

Ruffalo is nearing a deal to play Michael Rezendes, while Rachel McAdams is being eyed for the female lead of Sacha Pfeiffer. McAdams has an official offer, though she has not started formal negotiations yet.
Quote:
Deadline - The title refers to the Spotlight Team of reporters and editors of the Boston Globe that uncovered an unimaginable city-wide conspiracy to cover-up clergy child abuse. That investigative team included then-Globe editor Marty Baron (Schreiber), Spotlight Team editor Walter “Robby” Robinson (Keaton). Reporters Michael Rezendes (Ruffalo), Sacha Pfeiffer (McAdams), and Matt Carroll spent a year interviewing victims and reviewing thousands of pages of documents and discovered years of cover-up by Catholic Church leadership. Their reporting eventually led to the resignation of Cardinal Bernard Law who had hidden years of serial abuse by other priests and opened the floodgates to other revelations of molestation and cover-ups around the world which still reverberate today. For their efforts, the Globe team won the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service in 2003. Tucci will portray attorney Mitchell Garabedian, who achieved national acclaim representing the families of abuse victims. Pic will shoot in Boston and Toronto in the fall.
External Links
IMDB - The Boston Globe Spotlight News Site

Old 09-16-2014, 02:53 AM
Master Fan

Mark Ruffalo and Rachel were spotted in Boston yesterday (and Rachel also the day before):
Quote:
Actor Mark Ruffalo was at the Globe on Monday to do research for his new movie “Spotlight,” in which he’ll play Globe investigative reporter Michael Rezendes, a member of the Pulitzer-winning team that broke the Catholic sex abuse scandal. Ruffalo was seen in the newsroom, the cafeteria, and the library — not that we were following him. Ruffalo’s costar Rachel McAdams has been spotted around Boston, so she must be researching for her own role in the film (she’ll play former Globe reporter Sacha Pfeiffer, who’s now a star at WBUR)
Mark Ruffalo visits the Globe, Seth MacFarlane checks out Improv Asylum - Names - The Boston Globe
Old 09-16-2014, 10:08 PM
New Fan

Mark did an interview with collider and he confrmed that they are currently in rehersals and filming will begin on the 25th.
RUFFALO: Yes. We’re in rehearsal, I was in rehearsal right before I came here. I’m going out to meet with Mike Rezendes, who’s the character I’m playing, from the Spotlight team. I’m meeting him day after tomorrow, going to Boston to do some research with him, and then we start shooting on the 25th. It’s locked and loaded and ready to roll. We’re deep in it
Old 09-16-2014, 11:30 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke88 (View Post)
Mark did an interview with collider and he confrmed that they are currently in rehersals and filming will begin on the 25th.
RUFFALO: Yes. We’re in rehearsal, I was in rehearsal right before I came here. I’m going out to meet with Mike Rezendes, who’s the character I’m playing, from the Spotlight team. I’m meeting him day after tomorrow, going to Boston to do some research with him, and then we start shooting on the 25th. It’s locked and loaded and ready to roll. We’re deep in it
Thanks for the update, Luke - that's just over a week away!

For those who want to read the entire interview (or at least the part about Spotlight), here's the link, and below is the Q&A's about Spotlight:

Quote:
Something that excites me is Thomas McCathy’s Spotlight. I’ve seen what looks to be an incredible cast, dealing with incredible subject matter in Boston. Is this definitely a project you’re a part of? What can you tell people about that?

RUFFALO: Yes. We’re in rehearsal, I was in rehearsal right before I came here. I’m going out to meet with Mike Rezendes, who’s the character I’m playing, from the Spotlight team. I’m meeting him day after tomorrow, going to Boston to do some research with him, and then we start shooting on the 25th. It’s locked and loaded and ready to roll. We’re deep in it.

I’m talking to Thomas tomorrow and believe me sir, I’m bringing it up.

RUFFALO: Oh, please do.

A lot of people don’t know about the project. Can you talk about it and why you wanted to be a part of it?

RUFFALO: It’s Tom McCarthy, so you’re immediately, “What’s he doing?” And it’s about, The Boston Globe had an investigative journalist wing that would do long range investigative journalism for The Boston Globe. Things that would go six, seven, many, many months sometimes, but six, seven, eight weeks at a bite. There’s very few newspapers that are actually able to do this anymore.
Because of that, they were able to break the priest molestation scandals that happened in the 90’s that appeared to be just single events of priests molesting kids, that after some investigative reporting, revealed to be in systemic, denial, and protectionism by the Catholic church over these priests who were molesting kids. Not only were they defending them or covering for them, they were moving them out of one parish with a bunch of kids into another parish with a bunch of kids where they did the same thing.
These guys were serial sex offenders, they were raping kids and it was being covered up by that time Cardinal law, which led to a whole international investigation and then all the way up to the Vatican. It’s an important story. What Tom’s interesting take on it is why did it take so long for someone like The Boston Globe or any other news agency to break it?
And he’s also dealing with this kind of insider/outsider—there’s a great line in the movie that says, “It takes a village to raise a kid, it also take a village to let child molestation continue.” It’s very self-reflective about the media, about the culture of the political scene in Boston at the time, also the culture of The Globe. Everyone has a little piece in it.

He put together a hell of a cast.

RUFFALO: An amazing cast! It’s pretty beautiful.

How early on did you sign on? Were you at the beginning of it?

RUFFALO: Yeah, yeah. We’ve been talking about it for months and I was very honored that he came to me. And to play this just amazing investigative journalist who came up as a blue collar, social justice, investigative reporter on the street all the way up to the height of The Boston Globe and a Pulitzer Prize. Mike Rezendes is like, fantastic role.
The full audio is available here, and the Spotlight talk begins at 14:04.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:35 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for all the links guys. I'm really excited to hear Mark talk about it already

Sacha Pfeiffer, the journalist who Rachel will portray, tweeted the following yesterday:
Quote:
Most surreal experience of my life MT @benswasey Haven't seen @SachaPfeiffer yet today. Must be out w/Rachel McAdams Mark Ruffalo visits the Globe, Seth MacFarlane checks out Improv Asylum - Names - The Boston Globe
https://twitter.com/SachaPfeiffer/st...18547682209792
Old 09-17-2014, 11:18 AM
Dedicated Fan

I hope it's a good script... Thomas McCarthy doesn't have an award-winning filmography as a writer, lol, and I really want this to be Rachel's closest Oscar chance ever :O (if not nominated)
Old 09-17-2014, 02:19 PM
Master Fan

Looks like they will defenitely shoot on location in Boston. Ollie Amerigian is listed as "location scout: Boston" on IMDB and I also found him on linkedin:
Quote:
Breaking News Productions Inc/ "Spotlight"
August 2014 – Present (2 months) Greater Boston Area
Oliver Amerigian | LinkedIn
IMDB also added Michael Cyril Creighton to the cast list as Joe Crowley
Old 09-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for all the info, and for the great OP, Lindsey! I'm getting pretty excited about this project!!
Old 09-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Part-Time Fan

Filming of Spotlight is almost set to get underway in Boston!

Project Casting have just posted the below open casting call for the upcoming shoot (before it moves to Toronto):

Quote:
‘Spotlight’ Starring Rachel McAdams and Mark Ruffalo Open Casting Call

Boston, Massachusetts Casting Call

‘Spotlight’ starring starring Rachel McAdams, Mark Ruffalo, and Liev Schreiber is now casting extras in Boston, Massachusetts.

According to Deadline, ‘Spotlight‘ centers around the true story of how the Boston Globe uncovered the massive scandal of child molestation and cover-up within the local Catholic Archdiocese, shaking the entire Catholic Church to its core.

C.P Casting is looking for men and women of all ages and ethnicities who are interested in working as an extra in the movie to apply. Filming will start on September 24th and will continue until October 1st.

To audition for an extra role in the movie, check out the casting call details below:

‘Spotlight’ Movie Casting Call
C.P. Casting is seeking submissions from PEOPLE OF ALL AGES who are interested in BACKGROUND EXTRA WORK on the FEATURE FILM “SPOTLIGHT” starring Rachel McAdams, Mark Ruffalo, and Liev Schreiber, that is SHOOTING IN BOSTON Sept. 24 through Oct. 1.
Background extras hired would likely work just ONE day between Sept. 24 and Oct. 1.
Interested, available, people should EMAIL a RECENT PHOTO to: SpotlightExtras@Gmail.com

YOU MUST INCLUDE:
1] Full Name
2] Current City of Residence
3] Phone #
4] Children? Ages?
5] Height, Weight
6] SIZES: Shoe, Waist, Inseam, Neck, Sleeve, Jacket, Dress…
7] SAG/AFTRA # (If you have one)

INCLUDE A PHOTO OF YOUR PRE-2001 CAR, PRE-2001 BICYCLE, AND/OR DOG
IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THESE *AND* CAN WORK AS AN EXTRA WITH IT
Be sure to read the above carefully and send ONE email with ALL the requested information

You DO NOT have to be a member of SAG-AFTRA to submit
SAG-AFTRA members ARE also encouraged to submit
Please do not apply, if you are not local or if you do not fit the description.
Additionally, I came across the below tweet from a Boston local:

Quote:
Ohhh btw Rachel McAdams is in a movie that is shooting in front of my apartment

I swear! Thursday!
Old 09-23-2014, 08:46 PM
Master Fan

Great news, thanks for sharing, Nick!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:44 PM
Part-Time Fan

Also, just came across this tweet from RSIG (Events Division), who appear to provide security for events, including film sets:

Quote:
Excited to announce that we're now working on 'Spotlight' starring Rachel McAdams and Mark Ruffalo. #RSIGFilms
RSIG's Facebook page shows they have recently worked on a number of other titles, including Sea of Trees, Ted 2, Black Mass & Sex Tape, and they often post on-set photos. Hopefully we'll see some over the next week or so while they're filming in Boston.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:03 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for all the info Nick! Super excited that they are already start filming in Boston today!! I hope we will get some on set photos.

I came across this tweet from last night:
Quote:
Had dinner at the table next to Mark Ruffalo, Liev Schrieber and John Slattery tonight. Now that's a dinner party & so nice too! #Boston
https://twitter.com/WhiteGirl_Mafia/...27130127552512
Interesting that the tweeter mentions John Slattery since he hasn't been reported as part of the cast.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:38 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey- (View Post)

Interesting that the tweeter mentions John Slattery since he hasn't been reported as part of the cast.
Very interesting... John was in Tom's "The Station Agent" and they starred in "Flags of Our Fathers" together, so they definitely know each other, and it wouldn't surprise me if John is involved. If not, it would be a pretty big coincidence that he's in Boston having dinner with 2 of the other actors. Unless they were swapping superhero tips?

UPDATE: John has joined the cast of Ted 2, which is also filming in Boston. This might explain why he was there (although I just found out that he's from Boston himself), so it may just have been a chance meeting, or he was just catching up with friends.

EDIT: Shooting has started! Below are some tweets about filming, including one from Mark Ruffalo:

Quote:
I got to get to work! Have a great day! M (Mark Ruffalo)
Source
Quote:
Rachel McAdams is casually filming in front of my friend's house today
just a little bit jealous
Source
Quote:
Brother is an extra in new movie filming in boston. He keeps spelling the actors names wrong, has no idea who they are, making me look bad

Seriously, how can you spell Michael Keatons name wrong & not know who is Rachel Mcadams is? SERIOUSLY!! I am so ashamed #cryaloneincorner
Source
Quote:
EDGAR IS MEETING RACHEL MCADAMS FROM MEAN GIRLS TMRO AND IM LITERALLY DYING THIS IS NOT OKAY!!!!!!! #YouCantSitWithUs
Source

Last edited by nick1982; 09-24-2014 at 06:16 PM
Old 09-24-2014, 09:23 PM
Master Fan

Guys, I am SO EXCITED!!!
Old 09-24-2014, 11:05 PM
Dedicated Fan

so exciting! this film is gonna be a good one.