Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-14-2015, 08:03 AM
Master Fan

Rachel's Role in "Southpaw" Discussion/Spoilers #2: We Can't wait to see her opposite Jake Gyllenhaal!

Southpaw Discussion Thread

Cast
Rachel McAdams ... Maureen Hope (rumored)
Jake Gyllenhaal ... Billy Hope
Lupita Nyong'o ... Angela Rivera (rumored)
Forest Whitaker ... Titus 'Tick' Willis (rumored)

Official Plot *MAJOR SPOILERS*
Southpaw centers on cocky, aggressive, volatile middleweight champion Billy Hope. He expects to ride out his career with his massive winnings, his adoring fans, his beloved wife Maureen and their 10 year old daughter Leila. When Billy’s temper triggers a fight, and then a shootout that leaves Maureen dead, Billy finds his life spiraling out of control. He takes to drinking and doing drugs, ignores the heart-broken Leila, and ignores his finances. When he loses his house, his money and finally Leila, who winds up in a group foster home, he begins to find his way back to some kind of balance with the help of amateur trainer Titus “Tick” Willis, who has his own demons but who turns out to be the perfect trainer for Billy.

Production Notes
The Weinstein Company and Hope Films in association with Richie Productions, Escape Artists, and Fuqua Films are now prepping to shoot the feature film Southpaw starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Rachel McAdams, and Forest Whitaker. The movie will be directed by Antoine Fuqua and the screenplay is written by Kurt Sutter. Filming will take place in both Pittsburgh and Indiana from mid-June through early-August.
Official Links
IMDB Page

Previous threads
Rachel's Role in "Southpaw" Discussion/Spoilers #1: We Can't wait to see her opposite Jake Gyllenhaal!
Rachel's Role in "Southpaw" Discussion/Spoilers #2: We Can't wait to see her opposite Jake Gyllenhaal! (current)

Last edited by winterbird; 05-30-2016 at 01:54 AM
Old 04-14-2015, 08:04 AM
Master Fan

Latest posts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda s. (View Post)
I'm so excited I'm going to puke. I can't WAIT to see their chemistry onscreen. Watching them in real life makes me so happy I can't breathe.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

tftnt!
Old 04-15-2015, 01:47 AM
Master Fan

You're welcome

It's nice to see Rachel and Jake hanging out together I think it's great when co-stars seem to get along. Can't wait for the Southpaw promotion!
Old 04-15-2015, 02:22 AM
Master Fan

TFTNT, Lindsey! I agree, I can't wait for promo for this to start, ahhh!
Old 04-16-2015, 04:59 AM
Master Fan

I was hoping that Southpaw would also get selected for Cannes. It's not based on anything since none of the movie news sites and blogs predicted it (as far as I know) but I was hoping it would get festival exposure.

It's still possible it will get selected. The head of programming/festival mentioned they announced about 90% of the selection today and more additions will follow so let's hope Southpaw is one of them
Old 04-16-2015, 05:07 AM
New Fan

the real life pics together are amazing. more more MORE of them together please and as often as possible!

I love the matching tattos. wonderful find and good eagle eye to detect them. and such a great detail that says a lot about the characters' relationship.

and in this scene Jake (Billy) seems to have a pic of Rachel (Maureen) and their daughter on the wall but it's too small to see it. any way to make it bigger?

it's really disappointing Southpaw is not selected for Cannes. I hope it's announced later on as I think the festival could be a perfect fit for the movie release.

Last edited by april2; 04-16-2015 at 05:15 AM
Old 04-16-2015, 10:53 AM
Master Fan

Wow, well spotted! It does seem that way Sadly I don't think there is a way to enlarge them since we are limited because of the size of the screencap.

Award Circuit is still ranking Rachel in their 2016 Oscar prediction. She is still currently listed 4th:
Quote:
Rachel McAdams hasn’t had her moment in the limelight yet. Her closest run was for “The Notebook” over a decade ago. These days, she’s making a great living in independent cinema like last year’s “A Most Wanted Man.” Opposite Jake Gyllenhaal in “Southpaw” could provide her an opportunity to be the Amy Adams of the year.
2016 Oscar Predictions - Best Supporting Actress
Old 04-17-2015, 02:17 AM
Master Fan

I would literally pay money to have her be the Amy Adams of this coming year, I SWEAR TO GOD, I WANT IT SO BAD I CAN TASTE IT TLKAJSDFLAKSDFJASDL screams.

And great eye on the photos! I bet that really is them.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:24 AM
New Fan

I hope Southpaw gives Rachel everything: wonderful reviews, awards, new great opportunities ... and that her on-screen husband becomes her real life husband! Joking aside, I really hope 2015 is Rachel's year

fan pic from when Rachel and Jake went to the boxing fight together last year:

I hope the imdb board rumor about Rachel being in the whole movie is true!

Last edited by april2; 04-19-2015 at 03:08 AM
Old 04-19-2015, 04:41 AM
Master Fan

Another great find! Thanks for sharing I hope it's true as well!

EDIT: Southpaw is part of Movieweb's "35 Movies You Need to See This Summer" list:
Quote:
Southpaw - July 31
Cast: Jake Gyllenhaal, Forest Whitaker, Rachel McAdams, Naomie Harris
Director: Antoine Fuqua
What It's About: A boxer fights his way to the top, only to find his life falling apart around him.
Our Take: I'm really looking forward to this. When I spoke with Antoine Fuqua for The Equalizer, he was so incredibly excited for this project, and from the first look photo we saw last year, Jake Gyllenhaal is practically unrecognizable as a boxer whose personal life is full of turmoil. With a script from Sons of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter, this drama should bring some much-needed grit to the summer movie season, and possibly deliver an early Oscar candidate as well.
http://www.movieweb.com/2015-summer-movie-preview

Last edited by winterbird; 04-19-2015 at 04:54 AM
Old 04-20-2015, 02:30 AM
Master Fan

What a cute photo!

And I'm loving that this film is getting so much hype, I can't wait for the press tour!
Old 04-20-2015, 02:53 AM
New Fan

another fan pic

and Southpaw poster at Cinemacon:

joblo
Old 04-20-2015, 04:11 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for sharing April! It seems like they were able to go backstage for resource for the movie which is great.

Thanks for the poster! It's good to see Weinstein already promoting the movie.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:20 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for sharing! I'm so excited about this promo starting.