Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2015, 03:51 AM
Master Fan

Rope Of Silicon included Southpaw in their "Top 20 Most Anticipated Movies of 2015" list:
Quote:
#12 Southpaw
When it was first put together with Eminem starring in Southpaw I had no interest, but when the rapper dropped out and Jake Gyllenhaal stepped in I was all ears. The pic finds Gyllenhaal playing a boxer who fights his way to the top, only to find his life falling apart around him. Playing characters in that life around him are Rachel McAdams, Naomie Harris, Forest Whitaker, Victor Ortiz, Tyrese Gibson, 50 Cent, Clare Foley and Beau Knapp.

I can't wait to see how this one turns out as Gyllenhaal has all my support given his latest swatch of films.
Top 20 Most Anticipated Movies of 2015 | Rope of Silicon
Old 01-16-2015, 06:40 AM
Master Fan

I seriously can't wait for this and now that it's 2015 I'm even MORE excited.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:57 PM
New Fan

This is getting a July 31, 2015 release. There go my Oscar hopes
Old 01-20-2015, 08:44 PM
Part-Time Fan

Thanks for sharing, Martian86! Here's the link: The Projection List
Old 01-21-2015, 06:48 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for the release date updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian86 (View Post)
This is getting a July 31, 2015 release. There go my Oscar hopes
I was a bit disappointed myself at first because this means it will miss fall festival season. However July isn't that bad. "Ricki and the Flash" is probably also an award season contender, which will be released a week after for example and it's after the crowded summer blockbuster releases.

I hope they will still give it festival exposure, and there only chance at a big film festival is Cannes. I remember reading an interview with Weinstein in which he mentions that festival exposure is a must for award season contenders, so I guess we have to wait and see. If it's well received - critically and in the box office - then they will probably re-release it in the fall

Also films also screen at festival to find distributors/(international) buyers and Southpaw already found one (for the US).
Old 01-21-2015, 07:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

i'm happy there's a release date!
Old 01-21-2015, 08:20 AM
Master Fan

I feel like it has to be a contender with the people involved regardless of release date, you know? But this is making me nervous a little!
Old 01-21-2015, 06:48 PM
New Fan

I don't believe TWC would make a mid-summer release if it was an awards contender. He always premieres those films at festivals and then has a fall opening.

I still have hopes it could be a crowdpleaser and do well at the B.O.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:49 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian86 (View Post)
I don't believe TWC would make a mid-summer release if it was an awards contender. He always premieres those films at festivals and then has a fall opening.
Yes, you are right. Although TWC did recently try and give 'Begin Again' a award push which was released June-July 2014 but I guess that's a bit different because Begin Again originally premiered during TIFF 2013 (where TWC picked up the rights).

Let's hope we will get the first trailer soon!

ETA: Collider's article on the release date change:
Quote:
A release date exchange is taking place. Sony Pictures has opted to push the new Sacha Baron Cohen comedy Grimsby from its July 31, 2015 release date to February 26, 2016, where it will now square off against Paramount’s Ben-Hur remake.

In Grimsby’s absence, The Weinstein Company has opted to slot the boxing drama Southpaw, which stars an absolutely ripped Jake Gyllenhaal.

Director Antoine Fuqua’s long-developed boxing drama will now get a prime summer release date on July 31st of this year, opening opposite the Point Break remake and the Ryan Reynolds-fronted sci-fi thriller Self/Less. As this is shaping up to be a testosterone-heavy weekend, I imagine one of these other films will subsequently shift.
http://collider.com/southpaw-release-date-july-31-2015/
Old 01-27-2015, 02:36 PM
Master Fan

Southpaw is getting some competition on the July 31rd date. Mission Impossible 5 will now also open that day:
Quote:
Well, this is a pleasant surprise! Paramount Pictures send word that ‘Mission: Impossible 5,’ formerly planned for release on December 25th, will arrive nearly five months earlier than expected – the film will now hit the big screen on July 31st. ‘Mission: Impossible 5′ will now open opposite Antoine Fuqua’s boxing drama ‘Southpaw,’ starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Rachel McAdams, Forest Whitaker, Naomie Harris and Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson.
‘Mission: Impossible 5′ Moved Forward Almost 5 Months; Now Set For July 31st | FlicksandBits.com - Movie News, Trailers, Interviews, Features, Images, Posters, Art & More
Tom Cruise movies usually open (pretty) good, and do really well at the international box office so I think it's definitely some competition for Southpaw.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:01 AM
Master Fan

Why are there even still Mission Impossible movies coming out.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:42 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda s. (View Post)
Why are there even still Mission Impossible movies coming out.

Now that we have a release date I'm ready for a trailer!
Old 01-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey- (View Post)
Now that we have a release date I'm ready for a trailer!
me too! we should be getting it soon
Old 01-31-2015, 05:23 AM
Master Fan

I'm like 97% sure I'm going to die when we do, that's all I know.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:08 AM
Dedicated Fan

Nooooo, I hope Weinstein Company moves the date because it's gonna suck if this movie doesn't get some acting awards loving in the fall/winter

I'm saying this because I just watched Jake in NIGHTCRAWLER and his performance blew me away.