Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Master Fan

Rachel's Role in "Passion" Discussion/Spoilers #1

Looks like this project is really going to happen, filming starts soon and Rachel confirmed herself she is involved. "Passion" is a remake of Crime D'Amour, and will be directed by Brian De Palma. It stars Rachel, Noomi Rapace and Karoline Herfurth.

Article about the movie from Variety, published today:
Quote:
SBS snags pre-sales on 'Passion'
Pic is English-lingo remake of Corneau's 'Love Crime'

Said Ben Said's Paris-based production-sales outfit SBS Prods. has closed key pre-sales on Brian De Palma's thriller "Passion," starring Rachel McAdams and Noomi Rapace.
Deals come as SBS advances towards production on "A Castle in Italy," directed by and starring Valeria Bruni Tedeschi ("Actresses," "It's Easier for a Camel"). SBS recently produced Roman Polanski's "Carnage."

Ascot Elite has acquired theatrical and DVD/VOD rights for Germany and Switzerland; Lumiere has taken Benelux while ARP will release "Passion" in France in early 2013, said Ben Said.

An English-language remake of Alain Corneau's 2010 psychodrama "Love Crime," which Ben Said also produced, about a battle to the death between a top corporate exec and her protege, "Passion" has just added German actress Karoline Herfurth ("The Reader") to the cast. Herfurth plays the assistant to Rapace's deputy, McAdams the CEO.

Screenplay is by De Palma, with additional dialogue by novelist Natalie Carter.

Co-produced by Alfred Huermer's Integral Film in Germany, "Passion" begins lensing in Berlin on March 5 for 10 weeks.

SBS is splitting international sales with Wild Bunch, with Ben Said selling key territories such as U.S., Spain and Italy.

SBS' "A Castle in the Sky" is co-written by Noemie Lvovsky and Agnes de Sacy, who wrote the SBS-produced "Cherchez Hortense," with Kristin Scott Thomas.

Of semi-autobiographical inspiration, Ben Said said, dramedy "Castle" turns on a rich family forced to sell their castle in Italy. Pic stars Louis Garrel ("That Summer") and Filippo Timi ("The American").

ARP will release in France. "Castle" goes into production Feb. 27. Ben Said will introduce it to buyers at Berlin.
SBS snags pre-sales on 'Passion' - Entertainment News, International News, Media - Variety
Old 02-08-2012, 05:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for starting the thread, Lindsey.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Dedicated Fan

I read on a site (trying to find it again) that Katherine was getting the role of the younger exec which means that either Roomi or Rachel is getting the other lead role.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:40 AM
Master Fan

What I understand from the Variety article is that Rachel will play the CEO (Kristin Scott Thomas in Crime D'amour), Noomi Rapace the deputy (Ludivine Sagnier) and Karoline Herfurth is Rapace's assistent (Guillaume Marquet) in the original. So if they follow the original Noomi will be the lead, and Rachel more the supporting lead and Herfurth the supporting role.

Deadline mentioned before they were looking for a major male role and a smaller female lead. I am wondering if Herfurth is the smaller female lead, because in the original Marquet is the (supporting) male lead as assistent which Herfurth is now portraying.

Quote:
Kristin Scott-Thomas and Ludivine Sagnier starred in the original film noir, about a power struggle between a ruthless executive and her protégé. The Passion story will follow the same lines, with De Palma adding his spin to a script he wrote. A major male role and a smaller female role have yet to be cast. Those will likely be played by Europeans, with deals expected to be firmed up in January. De Palma will shoot for 10 weeks with delivery expected at the end of the year.
Brian De Palma Has 'Passion' For Rachel McAdams And Noomi Rapace - Deadline.com
Old 02-09-2012, 03:43 AM
Loyal Fan

^ Thanks. I'll have to track down the original movie to get an idea of Rachel's character
Old 02-09-2012, 05:19 AM
Passionate Fan

Thanks for the info and the thread Lindsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetigreen (View Post)
^ Thanks. I'll have to track down the original movie to get an idea of Rachel's character
I have actually been stumbling upon it quite a lot. Before I saw it, I couldn't found it anywhere, now it seems it has become more popular.

It's so weird because in the movie credits Kristin Scott Thomas is credited before Ludivine, and yet the Isabelle character is the lead.
I actually thought Christine was a much more appealing character than Isabelle (less layered though). My friends and I were left hungry for more Christine scenes. I hope De Palma makes Rachel's role much bigger and with much more depth than the original.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:48 AM
Master Fan

Well Kristin Scott Thomas is more known in France then Ludivine, so PR wise it would make sense to credit her first. I really hope Rachel and Noomi will both be the leads.

Isabelle sounded more interesting for me but I haven't seen the film. I am trying to get my own copy. I will definitely see it before the Passion comes out!

Last edited by winterbird; 02-09-2012 at 07:43 AM
Old 02-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Passionate Fan

Isabelle is actually much more of a "profound" character compared to Christine. But I just felt that Kristin S. Thomas had much more charisma than Ludivine.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Master Fan

IMDB added a February release for The Netherlands for the movie, so I have good hopes the US will get a December release!

Interesting article about the casting director of "Passion":
Quote:
An article by Patrick Wildermann published today in Der Tagesspiegel looks at the booming star system in Germany, and includes quotes from Anja Dihrberg, a German casting director who is, according to the article, currently working with Brian De Palma, presumably on Passion. Dihrberg tells Wildermann that De Palma "prefers actors who come from the theater and mastered their craft accordingly."
More: De Palma a la Mod
It makes sense Rachel is cast, since she graduate at York University in theater.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Passionate Fan

Interesting quote. Thanks for it and the input, Lindsey
Everyday my excitement for this project just grows. The simple thought of Rachel and Noomi working together is just too much to bear.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Dedicated Fan

I hope De Palma takes some liberties and doesn't do an exact remake. Rachel is fully capable of playing a MAJOR role and not just supporting.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:58 AM
Master Fan

I agree with you Rob! Although I love Noomi I was hoping Rachel would take the lead and was kind of expecting it since Rachel is 'the bigger name' (and studios always prefer a name as lead). But Noomi also proved she can carry a movie with Millenium triology.

And I agree with you Lydia, I am really excited for this movie. Although the thriller genre is not really my kind of genre (I scare way too easily) I really loved Rachel in Red Eye.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:14 AM
Master Fan

A German website published an article today about "Passion" being shot entirely in Berlin starting on March 5th. They will not do studio sets in London, which was previously planned. More info:

Quote:
Brian De Palma will shoot Passion exclusively in Berlin, according to an article posted today by Der Tagesspiegel's Andreas Conrad. The original plan a year ago was to set Passion in the U.K., which meant exteriors would be shot in London, while interiors would have been done at a studio in Berlin or Cologne. But now, according to Conrad, not only will the film shoot exclusively in Berlin, but it will all be on location, meaning no studio sets. This makes the project sound all the more thrilling.

Conrad states that aside from the obligatory scenes set in office suites, De Palma will shoot Passion at the Sony Center (pictured above), the Bode Museum, and the restaurant Margaux (the interior of which is pictured below).
De Palma a la Mod
Original article: Kamera läuft und läuft und läuft - Berlin - Tagesspiegel (German)
Old 02-20-2012, 05:32 AM
Part-Time Fan

I haven't seen the original French movie, I saw the trailer and well, it does not look like the kind of movie I'd enjoy tbh, but I'm excited for the Remake casting. And it's Rachel's new project so...
I hope we get on-set pictures. (also hoping she changes her hair for the movie but I doubt it :/)
Old 02-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Master Fan

I haven't seen it either Aurore, but I want to see it before I see the one with Rachel & Noomi. I am curious!

I was thinking the same thing! I hope she will change her hair! Maybe back to a brunette, it's been a while. I really hope it as well, big we have a big chance we get some pictures I think, with everything being on location.

Possible news on the male lead/supporting character. A german news/movie site mentions Dominic Cooper (An Education, Devil's Double) being cast in the movie. I tried to find more info but no luck so far: http://www.mediabiz.de/film/news/asc...-mal-zu/315972

Last edited by winterbird; 02-20-2012 at 04:33 PM