Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Extreme Fan

I feel so sick right now, I can't believe this

Totally agree, Lydia he was truly amazing.

RIP Philip x
Old 02-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Passionate Fan

I can't believe it either, Jord. He was a family man. He seemed like a kind person and he was an amazing actor. I can't believe that apart from a couple of movies that will be released this year, we won't be seeing more of his wonderful performances. *sigh*

Old 02-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Extreme Fan

Just by his interviews you could tell what a down to earth guy he was. I was in awe of his performance when, I saw him in Capote.

I just need a hug from all of you, right now Life is so precious...
Old 02-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Dedicated Fan

It definitely gives you perspective. Actors and actresses are real human beings with real struggles. We look at them as invincible and untouchable but sadly - that's definitely not the case. PSH was such a gifted actor - watch The Master or Capote if you want to see true talent.

I'm glad Rachel had a chance to work with him.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Master Fan

I knew I'd see us here on the Rachel board with these words for PSH, especially since we only just saw him at Sundance with her. RIP to a truly gifted man. I'm not usually touched by this sort of news since I don't know celebs personally, but I kind of feel like I've grown up with PSH (Twister and Patch Addams were two of my favorite movies in the '90s) and in a way feel like I've gotten a little attached to him since he worked with Rachel, if that makes sense. Sending peaceful thoughts to his family and friends and giving all of you guys big hugs.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Master Fan

I'm actually still trying to process this all and to find the right words. For me he was one of the most brilliant actors of his generation. It's just so unreal he and Rachel promoted AMWM only a few weeks ago. My thoughts are with his loved ones.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:15 AM
Part-Time Fan

Absolutely agree with everything that has been said regarding PSH's passing Such a terrible shame. Obviously this is devastating for his family and friends, and I'm sure this news has hit Rachel pretty hard as well. She always wanted to work with him, and had that opportunity with AMWM, and now he's gone. I'm like you Lindsey, lost for words at the moment. This was headline news in Australia, so you couldn't really escape it today. I wonder if Rachel will attend the funeral?
Old 02-03-2014, 05:25 AM
Master Fan

It must have, she lost a colleague and someone she admired. It's just sad and devastating that he leaves behind his partner and children. I just hope the media (and people in general) will just respect their privacy.

Corbijn's official statement:
Quote:
“He was not only the most gifted actor I ever worked with (and judging by the legacy he leaves behind I am certain I share this with most if not all directors who were fortunate enough to work with him), he had also become an incredibly inspiring and supportive friend. I am so terribly sad as I find it impossible to comprehend what happened today and to collect my thoughts properly. I have to think about Mimi and the children and I wish them much strength coping with the loss of this truly great man as a father and partner.” — Director Anton Corbijn in a statement. Hoffman stars in Corbijn’s film “A Most Wanted Man,” which premiered earlier this month at the Sundance Film Festival.
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...death-22337922
EDIT: Statement from the producer and Ink Factory:
Quote:
Back in the U.K., Gail Egan, who produced spy thriller A Most Wanted Man, in which Hoffman starred opposite Rachel McAdams, Willem Dafoe and Robin Wright, told THR on Monday: “[Hoffman] was a man of fierce intelligence, exceptional talent and phenomenal commitment. He threw himself into playing Gunther Bachman in A Most Wanted Man in the most extraordinary way, he worked tirelessly on the German accent, always knowing precisely when his performance was just right. And he did it all with such humor, it was just a pleasure to watch him work. He will be very very sorely missed, and my heart breaks for his family.”
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...llywood-676619
Quote:
This is a tragic loss. We feel privileged to have worked with one of the greatest actors of our time.
https://www.facebook.com/26791366655...ter=3&ustart=1
And Anton Corbijn wrote a In Memoriam for The Guardian:
Quote:
I'm not sure where to start when looking at Philip's legacy as it is overwhelming in its scope and depth. But that immediately tells you a lot about his choices. He was the best character actor I can think of, and if you look at just the smaller roles he occupied, then those performances alone set him apart from his contemporaries. His strength was a total immersion in the role and a lack of vanity. At the same time, he hated what he loved, that was his curse – he would tear himself to pieces over his performances.

It was my girlfriend Nimi who, upon reading the script of A Most Wanted Man, immediately suggested I approach Philip Seymour Hoffman; in retrospect, there was only one choice. It was obvious that he would be the person to bring this John le Carré character to life. I always imagined this man to have a strong physicality as well as intelligence and a certain kind of leadership. When Phil and I watched the film together in its early stages, I could not believe that the guy sitting next to me was the same person as the one on screen. The belief in the reality of his character was total. Despite any issues he was dealing with outside of the film, domestic or otherwise, the performance never suffered.
More: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014...eymour-hoffman

Last edited by winterbird; 02-03-2014 at 11:37 AM
Old 02-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Passionate Fan

Thank you for posting the statements, Lindsey
Old 02-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Master Fan

Yes, thanks a million for the statements, Lindsey. I still haven't really gotten over this. I just truly can't imagine what it must be like for everyone who really knew him. So sad.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:17 AM
Master Fan

So the media is releasing all these "new" interviews of the AMWM junkets during Sundance. Here are the links: THR and LA Times. I can't bring myself to watch them just yet

Also came across this new portrait at the LA Times site.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:47 AM
Passionate Fan

The THR video has such a bittersweet feeling. I suppose it is the way it is edited. Thank you so much for sharing, Lindsey.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Master Fan

I agree, the THR one gave me a lot of emotions. I think we all connect with PSH as an actor, but just watching him joke around with Rachel about the ring toss makes me want to cry because it makes it so much easier to imagine what must be going on in the hearts and heads of the people who actually spent time with him. It's so gut-wrenching that only two weeks ago we were all following him around Sundance.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Master Fan

Going a bit off-topic here but I noticed that Emma Freud tweeted this video of Richard Curtis paying tribute to PSH (who he directed in 'Pirate Radio' (Boat that Rocked):
Old 02-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Part-Time Fan

What a wonderful and touching tribute, Lindsey.

Thanks for sharing