Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Supreme Fan

I just finished it and liked it a lot more than I thought I would!

1) General thoughts about the movie? What grade would you give it on 10?
I overall liked it better than I thought I would - it was a little slow in the middle but picked up again before the end. Surprisingly, I wasn't annoyed by Diane Keaton (which I find I am with her sometimes) but was a bit annoyed at first by Harrison Ford (it felt like he was playing a caricature of a character). Overall I'd say probably 6-7 out of 10.
2) Did you notice anything new that you missed in previous viewings?
N/A - first time watching
3) Favorite character and why?
I liked both Rachel McAdam's character and Diane Keaton's - I loved how spunky and full of energy Becky was and liked the development we saw of Colleen.
4) Least favorite character and why?
I'd have to say Adam (Patrick's character) - for me he added very little to the story...
5) Favorite line/quote?
Just the entire scene of him making the frittata
6) How do you think this role differed from the other roles you've seen Rachel in?
Becky was such an energetic role! It was exhausting just to watch her
7) What do you think happened to the characters after the movie? Did they continue on the morning show for years?
Yeah, I do - I think eventually the show really rivaled the more popular shows. I imagine that Mike stays on the show until he dies.
8) Why do you think Mike changed his mind at the end and showed to Becky he was willing to change? What was the deciding factor?
I think it just took him pushing his boundaries that far and really realizing Becky could leave, and also understanding that he was the cause of a lot of unhappiness on the show, and especially for Becky who all that time has just been trying to keep the show going.
9) Career vs. family/relationships. Mike mentioned he chose his career to the detriment of his family relationships and the film shows Becky as a workaholic. Do you feel Becky achieved this balance at the end, and do you feel it is an accurate portrayal of real life?
I'd like to think Becky did, but with the more successful the show would have gotten, I can also see her kind of reverting back to old ways, but maybe not quite so much. I like the point Rob made about her having found a different kind of family within the show too
10) If you could, would you have changed/added any scenes to the movie?
This isn't so much of a scene changing, but I would have liked to see someone else play Adam - I just didn't get chemistry between Rachel and Patrick - their storyline was just ho-hum to me and didn't really make any difference, although on that same note, I'm glad the entire movie wasn't just about the romance - I liked that it wasn't the main focus.

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~

Last edited by Gabriela; 03-29-2011 at 01:36 PM
Old 03-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for answering, Gabriela. I'm glad you liked it.

Here are my answers:

1) I'd give this a 7.5/8. I came into the movie expecting something light, cute and funny, and it met my expectations. There wasn't anything complicated. I just enjoyed it for what it was. I loved the relationship that developed between Becky and Mike.
2) I've only seen this movie once.
3) I'm going to say Becky, too. She was so enthusiastic and bubbly, I think she connects with the audience so well. I also like the weatherman - mainly for his expressions during the broadcasts.
4) I can't remember her name, but it was that character who made the story on stars names (the girlfriend of Becky's boss). I loved seeing the crew's reaction to her story, but she was a bit annoying, to be honest.
5) I don't have the quote word for word, but it's the scene where Mike complains to Becky about the MG ad featuring him. He says something like, "Why a morning coffee? You should say morning dump instead"
6) I don't think she's had a role where she's running around everywhere and delivering her lines so rapidly. It was so great to see Rachel just do a comedy as a lead.
7) Now that Mike is good with the show, I think MG was successful for many years to come and that it got renewed again by the network.
8) I think he saw his younger self in Becky in how she was dedicated to her work and that he realized that she really was giving everything she had to save the show. I think he also realized he had such a narrow vision on what news should be, and that there's more to it, like Becky said earlier in the movie. He should lighten up in life. I really liked the last scene we got on them...it was the first time we hear Mike laugh.
9) Becky loves her job so much at the end of the movie and even though she puts her BB in the fridge, I can see her having a hard time to have that balance. There's a part of the movie where John Pankow's character asks her if she has a husband/kids, and Becky kinda snorts and says no. I don't think she has the perfect balance yet, but you can see that she does try and she's still young, but her job's still her priority.
10) I would added more scenes between Adam and Becky. I liked them, but I felt they needed more development. At times, it just felt he was there just for the sake to have Becky in a relationship and to make understand that she needs to take time for herself.

Quote:
I imagine that Mike stays on the show until he dies.
That made me laugh. It's so harsh sounding.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkles (View Post)
Here are my answers:
10) I would added more scenes between Adam and Becky. I liked them, but I felt they needed more development. At times, it just felt he was there just for the sake to have Becky in a relationship and to make understand that she needs to take time for herself.
I think that was my issue with Adam's character and Adam and Becky as a couple - it really felt like there was no purpose to him being there - other than, as you said, to put her in a relationship and have basically a very small personal life outside of work. I almost wish they would have just given up that relationship and added her dad and maybe a few siblings with their own kids that she found she was missing out on with her work....

Quote:
That made me laugh. It's so harsh sounding.
I didn't mean it harshly haha! I just meant that I can see him staying there until he's just done completely....I should say I can see them all paying tribute to him when he dies, something nice and touching and Daybreak being the thing he's remembered most and most dearly for

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 03-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's a good idea about the siblings. Or maybe more scenes with her mom? We got that she was proud of Becky at the end, but that was the extent of their relationship that we saw.

Mike does deserve to retire at some point.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:15 AM
Supreme Fan

Okay fine, I'll let him retire He can spend some time with his grandkids

Anybody else get a chance to watch Morning Glory or have any final thoughts?

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 04-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Are we still on for The Lucky Ones this month?
Old 04-02-2011, 06:09 AM
Supreme Fan

I'm still up for it if everyone else is - I've put it in my Netflix queue

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 04-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Great! I'll have to check it if my video store has it.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Master Fan

I just watched it a couple of days ago, have it on DVD. It's a good idea, Rachel was amazing in this movie!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Master Fan

The Lucky Ones! I have to buy the DVD, but will certainly do it and watch it ASAP.

icon credit: guilderferns
Old 04-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I've only heard really good things about Rachel's performance in this movie. I'm excited to see it for myself.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkles (View Post)
I've only heard really good things about Rachel's performance in this movie. I'm excited to see it for myself.
Me too. I haven't watched it before.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Me, neither.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:08 AM
Supreme Fan

I haven't seen it either - I'm really excited as I know very little about the movie anyway, and I like going in with no preconceived ideas about it.

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 04-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriela (View Post)
I haven't seen it either - I'm really excited as I know very little about the movie anyway, and I like going in with no preconceived ideas about it.
That is good I like going in with no preconceived ideas too, specially when bad comments come in the way. I haven't heard any rumour of it because it never came here to our theatres, but the trailer looks great

Last edited by violet wings; 04-05-2011 at 11:37 AM