Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Obsessed Fan

Thanks for the update, Belle! Can't wait to see it!

Old 01-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Dedicated Fan

Rumor is that this might debut at Cannes this year in May - that would be good exposure. Rachel isn't getting top billing in this movie but I think she's going to be great. Woody Allen loves her as well.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:32 AM
Dedicated Fan

Some quotes from Rachel at the London - premiere last night. Looks like Cannes it is for for Midnight in Paris...

Quote:
Woody Allen is "wonderful", according to Rachel McAdams.
The Canadian actress worked with the acclaimed filmmaker in his forthcoming romantic comedy, Midnight In Paris.
"He's wonderful, everybody knows what he's like - he puts it out there but he was great," she revealed on the red carpet at the UK premiere of Morning Glory.
She added: "It was great, it was amazing, such a great opportunity."
Rachel, who stars with Harrison Ford and Diane Keaton in her latest movie, said filming with Allen had ended, but didn't spill the beans on her character.
"I finished working with Woody just in the summer. We wrapped up in Paris," she said.
Adrien Brody, Marion Cotillard, Owen Wilson and Michael Sheen also star, along with a cameo from France's 'First Lady' Carla Bruni-Sarkozy.
The film is described as "a romantic comedy about a family travelling to the French capital for business, and the party includes a young engaged couple forced to confront the illusion that a life different from their own could be better."
Midnight In Paris is expected to premiere at the Cannes Film Festival in May
Old 01-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow, Cannes. That's really good news.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Dedicated Fan

More news. Premiere at Cannes. Wide release Sep 9.

Quote:
Midnight in Paris
Opens: September 9th 2011
Cast: Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody, Rachel McAdams, Kathy Bates, Michael Sheen
Director: Woody Allen

Summary: A romantic comedy about a family traveling to the French capital for business in the 1920's. The party includes a young engaged couple forced to confront the illusion that a life different from their own is better.

Analysis: Having churned out a film practically every year for four decades now, Woody Allen shows no sign of slowing down despite general interest in his movies being on the wane. After years of duds, the shifting of his film's locales to mostly overseas has yielded two recent gems - 2005's "Match Point" and 2008's "Vicky Cristina Barcelona".

Yet he's also delivered quite a few flops as well including "Cassandra's Dream," "Scoop," "Whatever Works" and "You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger". In the latter two cases, U.S. distributor Sony Pictures Classics did seemingly little to promote the films and yet frustratingly enough they've acquired this film as well which will likely result in a lack of proper awareness and a healthy disinterest at the box-office.

In Europe however, expect a much rosier reception thanks to a high-profile premiere at Cannes in May. It has also scored heaps of free publicity around the world already for its cameo by French first lady Carla Bruni-Sarkozy. Claims she was inept on-set were quickly dismissed by Allen who called said new reports complete fabrications.

From the get-go this looks more appealing than most of his recent work. His first film shot and set in Paris, he actually attempted to shoot the film back in 2006 but had to abandon it due to the expense. This means he has probably spent more time tweaking this script than pretty much anything else he's written since the 90's.

Setting the action in the 1920's and making it an old-fashioned comedy of manners is a welcome change of scene. The cast is also a bit different for him, but in a good way - Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, Michael Sheen, Kathy Bates, Marion Cotillard, Adrien Brody and rising newcomers like Tom Hiddleston, Léa Seydoux and Allison Pill. Reviews from the festival should be a good indicator as to whether this is worth bothering with.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the news.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Obsessed Fan

Thanks for the update, Rob! That's great that it's heading to Cannes!

Old 02-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Dedicated Fan

Its been announced as the OPENING film for Cannes - premiere night. Great exposure for Rachel. I'm sure she'll be there as well, stylish and elegant as ever.

Let's hope Woody captures some of his old magic.

Midnight In Paris to open Cannes
Old 02-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That is amazing. What fantastic news for the cast and crew. Thanks for posting that, Rob.

A still:

I guess they're playing the couple.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Dedicated Fan

Where did you find that still?! I've been looking everywhere for more news on Midnight in Paris and can't find anything

I suspected Owen and Rachel might be the couple.... she looks kinda stiff there lol!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh, I just found it today. It was on Entertainment Weekly.

She does. What a great scenery in the background!
Old 02-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Obsessed Fan

Thanks for that, Rob! I'm so happy that it's the opening film! I'm crossing my fingers for it to be good. (The last few Woody movies have been duds in my opinion).

Oh, and thanks, Belle, for that still! It looks very pretty! I knew Owen and Rachel were going to be the couple! I think at one point we thought they were going to be siblings. I bet Marion Cotillard's the other woman... I like Owen/Rachel, but Adrien Brody/Rachel would've made a more interesting pairing.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I thought they might be siblings because they had the same wavy hair in the movie.

MC said she didn't have any scenes with Rachel and I think we saw on set pics of her in a 1920s outfit?

I wonder who Adrien Brody is playing. It's probably a small role.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Obsessed Fan

They do have similar hair!

I wonder how the 1920's connects with the present time in the movie?

Yeah, I wonder about Adrien's role, too. Michael Sheen's in it, too, right? I wonder about his role, too.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I asked myself that, too. Maybe he's dreaming or something? Time travel?

Oh yeah, Michael Sheen! I had momentarily forgotten that he's in this movie.