Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2019, 07:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
A Voice for Women Worldwide
During the U.N. General Assembly in New York last fall, actor Kristen Bell ceremoniously lifted a large lever to light the Empire State Building in blue and magenta, in honor of the Women’s Peace and Humanitarian Fund. Bell was poised and glamorous, accustomed to posing before a blinding flash of cameras.

The glitzy scene may have appeared superfluous to the cause of supporting women who are strengthening communities in conflict-ridden countries. But Bell, 38, known for playing the sarcastic detective in the noir series Veronica Mars and giving voice to Frozen’s Princess Anna of Arendelle, understands that her value to the organization is to make it “sparkly, to make it glitter,” she says. “I’m nothing if not on Team Morale. I’m good at getting people excited.”

“ I’m on Team Morale. I’m good at getting people excited. ”

—Kristen Bell
Backing women, attacking unfairness and inequality, and bolstering communities isn’t superficial stuff to Bell, who supports a wide variety of local and national organizations focused on women and families—and who doesn’t hesitate to share her views on inequality or the value of women. In an Instagram photo of Bell and her daughters, ages 4 and 6, at the Women’s March in Washington in 2017, she wrote: “Holding up my fellow women and reminding them they have rights and agency over their bodies, they deserve equal pay, and do not have to be afraid to use their voices loud and proud.”

Bell’s tendency to “speak loudly about the potential of women in this world,” or, as she also puts it, “running my mouth off,” caught the attention of the Women’s Peace and Humanitarian Fund, a partnership of the United Nations and women’s organizations. In February 2018, it named her a global advocate. “We were looking for someone authentic who had a history of speaking up and taking action for marginalized populations,” says Corrine Graper, who leads private-sector partnerships for the fund.

If Bell’s celebrity draws added attention to a global cause, well, that’s kind of the point, considering the fund’s ambitious goal to raise a hefty $40 million by 2020. The funds will help expand the reach of effective women’s organizations that are focused on improving economic and humanitarian conditions in 24 countries suffering from conflict or crisis, according to the fund. So far, the group has worked with more than 55 women’s organizations in Burundi, Colombia, Jordan, the Pacific region, and Iraq.

The goal is to support ideas from women “who are actually experiencing the problem,” which, Bell says, “is so much smarter than taking a nonanthropological view and saying, ‘Well, here’s what I think you need.’ ” Ideas that work in one country can be “franchised” to other countries around the world, as she explains.

Bell tells the story of Marie-Goretti, a woman in Burundi who “somehow still had the strength to overcome her own pain and be useful in her community” after years of civil war. Marie-Goretti runs Dushirehamwe, a grassroots network of women peace builders across Burundi who help to settle conflicts over land, family, and religion, and proactively hold community dialogues to address issues that are creating concerns, such as youth unemployment, sexual violence, and food insecurity, Bell says.

“When you are taught to communicate properly and solve your own problems, the whole world can open up for you in a way you never saw before,” Bell says.

It’s the kind of on-the-ground, local approach that can defuse conflicts before they start and strengthen families—and therefore communities—that otherwise might be torn apart. For Bell, thinking about these stories of “bravery and unwavering commitment” make her feel “like I’m part of a community of women who are, in truth, actually changing the world.”

Propelling issues into the public consciousness is a habit of Bell’s that’s quite unlike the behavior of the self-absorbed character she plays on the hit sitcom The Good Place. In real life, she gravitates toward organizations she believes in—and vets—but admits that “almost every cause grabs my ear.” One reason: “I like to sleep well at night, to be blunt,” she says.

She also gives because she knows that as a star with a loyal fan base, she can mobilize others to make a difference for causes like Baby2Baby, which provides basic necessities to children up to 12 years old who are living in poverty, and People Assisting the Homeless. “If I can get myself believing in and excited about the idea, I have confidence I can get you there too,” Bell says.

For her 38th birthday last July, Bell donated to Immigrant Families Together and encouraged others via Instagram to do the same, raising “$150,000 in like two weeks.” When she turned 30, nearly $70,000 in donations poured into charity: water, a nonprofit focused on providing clean, safe water to communities across the globe. She also raises money for teachers in need of school supplies for their classrooms.

“I see the results when I lead a charge,” Bell says. “If no one was listening, I’d stop talking, probably.”
Changemakers: The Leaders Reshaping Communities Around the World
Old 06-18-2019, 12:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Kristen Bell

Old 06-18-2019, 09:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Old 06-19-2019, 11:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Kristen Bell

i cant believe we're talking about htings for 2020 already though. wow. time flies
Old 06-19-2019, 02:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

yep.. more than half way through already
Old 06-20-2019, 02:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
School’s out for summer and that means some kids who rely on school meals could struggle to get enough to eat. Free summer meal sites at schools and community centers are here to help! Text FOOD or COMIDA to 877-877 to find a free summer meal near you ☀️#ShareSummer #NoKidHungry
Old 06-21-2019, 02:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Kristen Bell

Old 06-21-2019, 08:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Old 06-22-2019, 12:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Kristen Bell

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...235007252.html
Old 06-24-2019, 02:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Kristen Bell

Old 06-24-2019, 05:56 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Old 06-26-2019, 02:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Kristen Bell

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ts/1570154001/
Old 07-01-2019, 09:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Old 07-06-2019, 10:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
A deserving military family was surprised on the TODAY plaza with a year’s supply of Hello Bello baby products. The couple also received a special shoutout from stars Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard, who announced that their Hello Bello baby products will give a permanent discount to active and retired military families worldwide.
Military family surprised with special gift from Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard
Old 07-08-2019, 03:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Kristen Bell