Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Girl Meets World Episode Discussion: "Girl Meets Her Monster" (3x16) November 4th 2016

"Girl Meets Her Monster"
November 4th, 2016, Disney Channel

Episode Description:
Riley skips out on helping Topanga at the bakery to stay home and binge-watch her favorite TV show and Topanga is not pleased.

Episode Promo:

1. Be positive and respect others' opinion.
2. We know you won't like everything about the episode, but try and be constructive when you are critiquing something. Don't just say 'GOD THIS SUCKED'.
3. No talk of illegal downloading. Please use PMs for links to live streams and such.
4. Remember, everything is a spoiler until the show airs on TV.
5. Thank you, and enjoy the episode!
Old 11-04-2016, 09:24 PM
Obsessed Fan

I felt bad for Auggie. He wasn't enough for Topanga. It came across as if she only cared about Riley.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

And it went across it was that way for Cory too. Made me sad that they openly favor one of their kids over the other
{EphramAmy}
patricia
break the window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:09 AM
New Fan

It it's not killing me, it's just hurting me, really, really, bad.

Wow, just finished the episode and other then getting to see Sarah Carpenter "become" Maya and a few lines from Cory, a really bad episode.

I'm confused about what Riley even learned and I hated all of Auggie's lines. And no offense to the actor, but his delivery of them didn't help. Riley continued to annoy me through this episode a bit more so then normal, especially when she goes over to Maya and just expects her to pick up the pieces.

How can Riley be so smart in school, yet actually think she can get a high paying job without going to college or even knowing what an editor does? Another case of how Riely's whatever the writers want her to be, and only when they want her that way. She's so smart in school and stuff, but she doesn't know how a job interview actually works? She's such a considerate person but thinks it's alright for her to ditch her mom. Who by the way, is now working two jobs while being a parent. Riely has no appreciation of Topanga and I hated Topanga's everything in this episode other then grounding Riley. Topanga works full time in a law firm and runs a business that pays for all the expensive things Riley feels, "entitled" to, and Riley doesn't even seem to notice.

I also hated how much Cory and Topanga treated Auggie. I would've thought they'd be better parents. There goes that fantasy.
MarvelGirl1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:00 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalloryKeaton (View Post)
I felt bad for Auggie. He wasn't enough for Topanga. It came across as if she only cared about Riley.
I agree, it was weird.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

This episode was blah.

It seems that the theme of the season is Riley not being herself, acting out, and acting like a dummy. I just cant believe how much focus on her there is, it gets to be too much for me. I realize she’s the main character but the previous seasons felt so much more balanced. I mean other than her development (or so called development seeing as they are doing the same thing to her character every single episode) this season just seems to lack any thing with substance.

I will say thought that it was nice to see Topanga and Riley arguing like real mother and daughter. But Riley was being such a brat by threatening to move out, like really?

Mayas hair looked flawless this episode
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:31 PM
Obsessed Fan

Underwhelming ep for me.

I like the idea well enough. Yes, some teenagers go through the silly I-m-going-to-run-away-from-home phase. And yes, tv makes that and any other situation over the top (points for breaking the fourth wall there). Plus, I like the binge watching and tv obsession theme in the background of the Riley/Topanga conflict. But it all played out kinda boring imo.

Also, in this ep Topanga came off as way too much of an authoritarian, conservative parent imo. I like the control freak, I’m-always-right side of Topanga, but her telling Riley they support her, so she has to do everything she’s told was off-putting for me. My mom has never ever said anything like that to me. She's also never grounded me in my life, so that whole thing is a foreign concept too. And it was unnecessarily long imo.

Kudos for the "Honey, I'm home!" moment though. Rilaya are so married. And it was cute how everybody was keeping Riley company while she was grounded.
Slayerette89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:13 AM
Fan Forum Star

riley/maya were the best parts. Maya in general was amazing.

She's had fewer scenes this season which I hope appeases some people that kept repeating it was the "Maya show" last year. But she still manages to be the MVP IMO in the episodes.

On a side note its definitely been the RILEY SHOW this season as every single plot has seemed to revolve around her, and not in a good way.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Obsessed Fan

Yeah, it was not that great, but it did bring back many memories of my mom and I. I was a very rebellious kid and I can't tell you how many times I threatened to run away only to either come back, or change my mind before leaving, and apologize. Though my rebelliousness wasn't because I thought I was entitled.....it was how I grew up, isolated and very sheltered. Raised in the mountains and homeschooled don't make for a nice social life or any kind of life.....not to mention being raised by older people (grandparents adopted me). I was mad at my parents for years for keeping me from seeing the world, but lately I have started to see that they didn't keep me from seeing it, just showed it to me differently.

So I can relate to Riley on some levels.......my mom was almost like Topanga.....tougher though. And, though she did come off as a brat, I could understand where Riley was coming from. Kind of like me, she is just trying to figure out life and everything and sometimes you have to push boundaries to understand what your parents are doing. Unlike me, this is probably the worst thing she has done and I can see why she overreacted. She probably hasn't had that treatment before and it probably scared her into flight mode. Pretty much how I felt the first time it happened to me......

I really wish in had a friend like Maya when I was their age. I love how they balance each other out. One ep it is Maya going off the deep end and then the next it is Riley and they always bring the other back to earth, back to their senses.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

in terms of family dynamics yes it was realistic and nice to see but in terms of rileys character it annoyed me because it feels like shes been running in circles all season long. acting out or acting naive, then realizing her mistake, then repeating it every single episode. i dont get it.

they are making her look bratty and stupid at times. this is not the character i liked in season 1/2....
Old 11-10-2016, 11:46 PM
Obsessed Fan

Hate to tell ya, but that is part of growing up. She is trying to find her footing in life and sometimes for people it is like they are going in circles, and they will come off bratty and stupid at times. When I look back on how I was at the age Riley is, I see the same thing. Also she is going through a lot of changes with hormones and all. We don't know if she is a late bloomer or already a woman (talking about Riley, not Rowan) and so who knows what is going with her emotionally (she is always happy and such, these things might be her mood swings showing.... ). I know it is annoying, but I think that of life all the time. Lol.....I wouldn't get too upset about it. Also, remember, they are trying to hit serious subjects, but in a roundabout way. So it can come off odd or very annoying. She is the same sweet, good, kind hearted girl that we've grown to love.....she is just changing, learning about the world more and becoming not as innocent as she used to be.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm 28 years old, I know what whats part of growing up and what isn't. And someone doesnt just have a complete personality change over a night unless there's a reason for it, which they never explained. You can say she is "growing" but I see her as regressing. And again, I dont trust that the writers will explain anything she is going through, they just throw these dumb storylines in for something to do.

I disagree with you on this, I'm sorry. They did an entire re-write of her character. She was never this naive in season 1/2. She was always respectful of her parents. She was knowledgable about important issues and this season they've reduced her character so much its aggravating. She was always the light and happy one that cared about peoples feelings and was often guiding Maya. And now its like the roles have been completely reversed.

Last edited by Alexa; 05-08-2023 at 03:34 AM
Old 11-11-2016, 01:20 AM
Obsessed Fan

Hey, difference of opinions is okay. No problem there, just putting out there what I think. hopefully the rest of the season will get better for ya!