Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2016, 11:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Girl Meets World Episode Discussion: "Girl Meets a Christmas Maya" (3x18) December 2nd 2016

"Girl Meets a Christmas Maya"
December 2nd, 2016, Disney Channel

Episode Description:
As Christmas approaches, Riley (Rowan Blanchard) gets excited to celebrate her favorite holiday, but for Maya (Sabrina Carpenter), the holidays only bring back unhappy memories from her childhood.

Episode Promo:

1. Be positive and respect others' opinion.
2. We know you won't like everything about the episode, but try and be constructive when you are critiquing something. Don't just say 'GOD THIS SUCKED'.
3. No talk of illegal downloading. Please use PMs for links to live streams and such.
4. Remember, everything is a spoiler until the show airs on TV.
5. Thank you, and enjoy the episode!
Old 12-02-2016, 07:12 PM
Master Fan

Good episode. I didn't know I would be crying when I watching this episode.

The main scene where I cried was the Zay/Smackle scene and he told her the real reason
why he brought her the book.

The main scenes that I loved in the episode was the Secret Santa scenes. (Best part of the episode)

Who Are You and What Do You Want?

ic: shinebrighterxx
Jason Morgan | Wanda Maximoff | Prince Zuko/Mai | Prince Zuko/ Sukka | Draco/Pansy/Blaise/Theo | Princess Zelda / Link | Clark & Lois
baelfire24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:14 AM
Obsessed Fan

I enjoyed this one well-enough.

Not feeling the general holiday cheese and family cheese. Couldn’t care less about perfect Christmases for perfect little nuclear families. But at least that wasn’t all there was to the ep.

My favorite part was how the Secret Santa brought out the fact you don’t necessarily completely know even the ppl you’re in the same close-knit group of friends with. Certainly has been true for every group of friends I’ve ever had.

Overall, I loved the comedic parts more than serious one, which always get a bit too cheesy, preachy and conventional on this show for me. But all things Zay + Smackle/Farkle made me smile. I’m so glad when they as individual characters and their relationships with each other get some focus.

Also loved Rilaya, as always.

While I don’t hate Lucas, he is my least favorite out of core 6 and tbh I didn’t miss him at all.
Slayerette89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:26 AM
Obsessed Fan

I didn't miss Lucas either. I think if he had been there, that whole scene wouldn't have had the impact it had. It would have turned into a romantic, cheesy thing between him and Riley and, I think, a very uncomfortable thing with him and Maya. Also, even though I wanted it, I am actually glad they didn't put the letter in.

Loved all the feels we got with Zay, Farkle and Smackle and also the ones we got with Riley and Farkle.

Not too keen how the whole thing with Maya played out, but I'm happy that they showed Riley helping her out. It must be hard trying to stop the need to run after doing it so many years. I feel for Maya and her mom, I really do. I just wish the writers would write how the Matthews help differently.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:27 AM
Obsessed Fan

I didn't miss Lucas either. I think if he had been there, that whole scene wouldn't have had the impact it had. It would have turned into a romantic, cheesy thing between him and Riley and, I think, a very uncomfortable thing with him and Maya. Also, even though I wanted it, I am actually glad they didn't put the letter in.

Loved all the feels we got with Zay, Farkle and Smackle and also the ones we got with Riley and Farkle.

Not too keen how the whole thing with Maya played out, but I'm happy that they showed Riley helping her out. It must be hard trying to stop the need to run after doing it so many years. I feel for Maya and her mom, I really do. I just wish the writers would write how the Matthews help differently.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I didn't miss Lucas either.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

I feel bad for Lucas, he's the only one of the mains to not get any sort of focus. It's really irritating. We know nothing about him and he has never gotten his own storyline.

In general it was a better episode than some of the past ones have been. Christmas episodes always make me happy.

Interesting that Riley a) didn't notice Lucas was even gone. b) lucas didn't even tell her c) she didnt seem to care that much and d) even said she couldnt "reach" him from texas. So they dont even text one another? LMAO. In my mind they arent even a couple. It's easy enough to believe that!

I also loved that when Riley picked Farkle's name she had this really sweet smile and Smackle immediately knew that it was him.

Loved Maya's "ha hurr"! She had Lucas. <3. I will make my own head canon about what she got him.

It was cute that Farkle got Zay a game to get to know him better.

Zay and Smackle!!! OMG that was so cute. "I'm feeling things because of you!" It was really adorable that he went through the book and wrote all that stuff!

Smackles gift to Maya was sweet too.

And don't even get me started about Farkle and Riley!!! When Riley explained the gift and said she loved Farkle And the way that Farkle swallowed? Wow, that felt like such a moment between them.

And I loved the focus on Maya for ONCE. This season has been so lite on her, its been really disappointing to me.

Last edited by Alexa; 05-08-2023 at 03:36 AM
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:09 AM
Obsessed Fan

Hm, I thought this season has been more Maya heavy, not lite. Even episodes not based on her has to have some drama with her. No offense, I do like Maya, but she has become more needy than Riley. Like they whole taco thing in "Girl meets bear", if that had happened in the first season I would have had no doubt that she would have dropped the whole thing (maybe pleaded a bit at the beginning) and helped instead of sat and complained like she did. That is not the Maya I remember from the start. It is like she and Riley have switched places, only a couple of times have they seemed to switch back. I don't know if it is because of Shawn coming into her life for good or what happened between her, Riley and Lucas......but I'm not too keen on Maya this season.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Really?

401 - revolving around mostly Riley dealing with highschool.
402 - more balanced between everyone but still mostly focused on Riley.
403 - All about Riley and being "Jexica"
404 - focused on both but IMO still more focused on Riley and her bad grade.
405 - more maya focused here, dealing with her "identity crisis"
406 - more so maya but riley has a lot of focus too here
407 - definitely maya episode
408/409 - pretty much revolved around both girls but i personally felt riley had more of her perspective shown
410 - maya/wedidng episode
411 - Riley focused "evil" debate
412 - Riley focused, missing teddy bear
413 - more farkle related but Riley had a lot of focus dealing with her "heritage"
414 - Riley focused, dealing with the girl that didnt like her
415 - halloween - kind of revolved around both but more so riley imo
416 - riley focused, being a brat to topanga
417 - very general focused episdoe
418 - finally another maya episode.

so out of 18 episodes 12 i would say revolved around Riley. I get shes the main character but like, her issues are always the same.

Its funny you say you dont like maya this season when i think Riley has been absolutely horrendous. So obnoxious and bratty and nothing like herself. Finally in the Christmas episode she seemed like herself again.

Maya has been watered down this season for sure. Less storylines, and the writers have been writing her very out of character. I haven't been a fan of the writing either but she doesnt make me wanna pull me hair out like Riley does.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:18 AM
Obsessed Fan

Interesting to see the differences of opinions on this.

I actually like Riley more this season than others. For me it is the other way around. She made me feel like pulling my hair out in the last two seasons. To me, she is trying to figure out life and, like a normal teenager, is trying to become independant. I like to see this new Riley. I couldn't stand it when she would act like she was dumb and a damsel in distress in the last two seasons. There were only a number of times where she acted like she was growing up. She, in my opinion, is growing into a beautiful, independant woman.

Maya, on the other hand, has seemed to switch to how Riley was before. She has become very needy and very childish. I mean, unlike season one, she now has a wonderful family. Why is it she still is coming to the Matthews for help? I understand she has trust issues, but she should talk to her mom about it, not Topanga. And, even if the episode is Riley centered, Maya always has to bring some type of drama into it. Again, for example, "Girl Meets Bear".
Old 12-08-2016, 10:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

She acts dumber this season then she did last season! Every episodes its the same problem for her. It seems she never learns anything.

Maya has seemed lost this season to me, she doesnt have her old spunk. I dont see how that is similar to how Riley used to bet whatsoever.

maya was barely in girl meets bear from what i remember.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:42 PM
Obsessed Fan

It is okay if you think that. I was just stating my opinion. That is what I see going on. Sorry if I offended you some how. Everyone has opinions on these things. I'm not going to fight you on yours so please don't fight me on mine.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

who is fighting? as far as i can tell we are discussing. this is a discussion board. i'm not offended at all.

i just do not see what you are saying whatsoever.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:45 AM
Obsessed Fan

Sorry, it is sometimes hard to tell tones in writing.

I sort of see where you are coming from, it just doesn't feel right to me.

I wish this show would get away from Disney, i think that would help a lot with the content we get.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerette89 (View Post)
While I don’t hate Lucas, he is my least favorite out of core 6 and tbh I didn’t miss him at all.
I have been seeing this opinion more and more. I completely agree. Initially I was on the Riley/Lucas train but then I started realizing my favorite episodes of the series is when Lucas is either not in the episode or not in the episode much. I can't really explain it. He's not fleshed out in the least but what little we've gotten, he's still just like air to me... nothing of substance and I don't care. I honestly think if there's an issue with this show, it has to do with the character of Lucas. Imagining all the episodes without him really feels like the other characters could breathe and have way more freedom.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread