Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Season 5 General Discussion

Season 5 General Discussion

You can speak about your favorite scenes, episodes, couples, friendships, characters etc...
Why you like or hate this season.

But PLEASE criticism should be constructive.

Have fun!

Favourite episode:
Least favourite episode:
Favourite character(s):
Favourite pairing (of any nature):
Favourite scene(s):
The scene that made you want to throw your TV out the window:
Scene that made you laugh the most:
Most heartbreaking moment:
What do you think about the season, as a whole?
Most boring storyline, why?:
Most entertaining storyline, why?:
Rank the season, 1 - 10:
Anything you'd like to say?

Reminders:
This is a general discussion thread so everyone is welcome to post in it.
We would just like to request that we respect each other's opinions and ships and
keep criticisms constructive. Thank you.

Grey's Anatomy Board Rules:

~ For the same reason, we are requesting everyone to please do not discuss 'opposing fanbases' in the threads, whether they're in or elsewhere. We all love the show so let us keep our discussions to the show and its characters.

~ Criticisms about the show and its characters are welcome in the threads as long as they're kept constructive. No character-bashing, please, especially in the episode threads. Constructive criticisms are different from bashing. We should learn to distinguish between the two. Be mindful of other posters who may like the character we're talking about. Let's keep in mind that we may have a right to post our thoughts but other people do too. If we want people to respect our opinions, let us learn to respect others too.
  • Do not call a ship and/or character by a negative association label. Since season two and on these words have been used in a character/ship bashing manner: MurDer, Bobble Head(Denny), Gizzard, Gizziegate, Grizzie, Izzme, Callous, and etc. These names are considered to be character and/or ship bashing which is something we do not tolerate on this board. So from now call the ships and/or characters by their names, and not names give to them by negative association.

~ No actor or writer-bashing, please. This is a rule. We are all welcome to criticize the characters and the stories but making negative personal comments about the actors, the creator or the writers are unacceptable. Unless we know these people personally, we have no right to talk negatively about their personal lives, even in a speculative way. Let's keep our comments to the fiction part of the show, shall we?

~ Shipper wars are also not allowed at or at this site. We believe there is no competition between the ships each show so there's no need to bash each other's ships. We like that people are so passionate about their ships and we appreciate the time and effort that you spend posting about them. We'd like to keep it that way.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask Ana, Corina or Nic

Last edited by gingerly; 06-22-2009 at 11:10 AM
Old 06-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the thread! It's a great idea.

Overall I'm pleased with this season, it's certainly an improvement on last season.

I found the second half especially excellent. With the last few episodes being the best in a long while.

In my opinion, of course.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for this thread Ana
Old 06-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It was a pretty good season, but as a MDer I wasn't quit pleased of getting 20 seconds on a 40 minutes show. But anyway, a good season.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well it was not my Fav season,but it was OK for me
Old 06-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Master Fan

I have to say the only negative I found was that the Denny stuff went on too long. I do think I would have been impacted so much more by it , if it hadn't gone on so long
I actually enjoyed just about everything else and while I did feel that the show seemed a bit lost by epi 4 or 5 imho it really picked up steam and never looked back once the Serial killer storyline started. From that epi on I was just too excited for the next epi to begin
As a fan of the show I thought they had a lot of characters to write for and aside of George I thought they did a pretty good job of balancing the story times to all characters. I love every character so I watch for them all but of course my favorite couple are Mer Der and I will say this, I am glad they have grown, had angst that did not involve third parties or break ups, and have gotten more strong and solid as a couple, I was fine with their air time as a pair because I felt the individuals had a lot of screen time in a lot of stories, and the scenes they had together , for me, were great..I am a quality vs quantity type of gal I guess. and I did love the post it "wedding" seemed perfect for that couple.
I like Arizona, I am coming around to Owen but to be honest he is probably my least fav character right now,, not that I dont' like him but if I were to list them in order of who I like the most to the least he is on bottom. I loved him in the first episode but for some reason my interest in him started to wane and I don't know why. I want to love Owen and Cristina because I really want Cristina to have a guy but I am still waiting and trying to give them more time.
I just saw the SP again when it was re run and I love how SR bookended the season with the SPand the SF.. I love the way the storylines mirrored some we saw and now I do believe SR plans the last epi of the season before she ever starts writing the season premiere.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I have to say the only negative I found was that the Denny stuff went on too long. I do think I would have been impacted so much more by it , if it hadn't gone on so long
To be honest I never liked Denny from S2 so imagine me having to have him dragged all through S5 not fun for me
Old 06-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Part-Time Fan

I agree the Denny stuff went on a bit too long and at first i found it frustrating he was back in it at all but felt the reason was a pretty good one. I think George's lack of time would be so we felt how the lady that he saved felt does that make sense? like we were too wraped up in everthing else George got lost? idk maybe that was the point. I felt there was enough MerDer scenes just because there was other stuff that involved it....Mer being a changed person etc. The thing i have to disagree with is your opinion on Owen and i know its your opinion and its good but i quite like him but i can't see how he would just get better or if he still struggles. I think Owen needs to be there so when MerDer really take off Christina has him, not that i want to lose the whole "person thing" because i really love it but yeah. I still dont like the ending of the last episode only in a i dont want to wait a three months to find out =[
Old 06-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

I thought Owen and Cristina getting back together was too quick in the SF,it would been better for him to work his issues and therapy first,but I guess they would reunited then so they could have the drama in S6 for them.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Part-Time Fan

yeah thats probably right maybe he will have secret therapy or something ?
I did like him seeing his mum i felt that was imprtant to have in this season gone and i liked that Christina was there with him
Old 06-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Elite Fan

Overall, I really liked the season. S4 was getting a bit boring for awhile but S5 I thought brought life back into the characters. Of course it isn't the same as it was in the glory seasons but I was finally really, really back into the storylines again.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:55 AM
Elite Fan

As an AIer, I have to say that I LOVED this season! I felt like we finally got what we deserved! Seasons of AI being so obviously made for each other, it was about time that this season got to have them as a real couple And the 100th epi will forever be my fav
Season 5 was awesome! Well except from that the Denny SL went on far too long, and was ridiculous! And the end of the season, witch was a disappointment for me
Old 06-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Part-Time Fan

I think this season was amazing! And about the Denny thing being too long, I don't think this at all because it kept making me wonder why exactly he was there. And whenever he said the words: "I'm here for you" it got me thinking even more. I wouldn't have guessed Izzy had cancer at all, it was a total surprise until she started doing the tests.

I know it's not perfect, but it's life.
Life is messy sometimes.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Elite Fan

Okay, I stole this idea from another board, but it's a really good idea. I'll add the questions to the OP.

Favourite episode: The 2-part finale.
Least favourite episode: Probably the premiere
Favourite character(s): Owen, Cristina, Izzie, George, Alex
Favourite pairing (of any nature): Owen/Cristina
Favourite scene(s): The Fab 5 scene after they found out she had cancer, the two GI scenes in the finale.
The scene that made you want to throw your TV out the window: Derek hitting the ring into the woods and saying all that stuff to Mer.
Scene that made you laugh the most: Hmm. Not sure. Either the first time Izzie pretended to flatline, or Mark's, "I'm a better woman than you."
Most heartbreaking moment: That whole sequence with Richard/Meredith, Izzie/Her mom and Owen/Cristina set to the song Turn and Turn Again.
What do you think about the season, as a whole? I'm one of those who didn't especially hate the DI storyline, so it was pretty good, although saved by the second half.
Most boring storyline, why?: Derek's so-called "breakdown."
Most entertaining storyline, why?: I wouldn't call it entertaining, but the Izzie-cancer (in the second half of the season) SL was certainly my favourite.
Rank the season, 1 - 10: 7.8 (yes I'm using decimals. )
Anything you'd like to say? I just hope season 6 is up to the standard of those last 4/5 episodes. I'll miss my bb TR Knight SO SO MUCH. *goes to find George icon*

Last edited by gingerly; 06-22-2009 at 02:56 PM
Old 06-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Elite Fan

Favourite episode: 5x17 ('I Will Follow You Into The Dark') or 5x24 ('Now or Never').
Least favourite episode: Before And After.
Favourite character(s): Bailey, Owen, Alex, Cristina.
Favourite pairing (of any nature): Romantic: Alex/Izzie; Friendship: Cristina/Izzie (I love the way it started to develop in 5x18 and beyond.
Favourite scene(s): All Izzie's scenes with the interns in 5x17, especially when she yells at them for expecting a "prize everytime they hand someone a death sentence"; Cristina telling Bailey and Alex that Izzie has cancer; AI wedding.
The scene that made you want to throw your TV out the window: When Denny appeared in Izzie's beach hallucination in 5x23. I thought, "Seriously?? He's STILL not gone??"
Scene that made you laugh the most: Alex giving the Chief his cup full of sperm while the Chief was eating. "I washed my hands"
Most heartbreaking moment: Meredith crying to Derek after watching Eric Stoltz's character be executed; Owen apologising/breaking down to Cristina after choking her; Alex crying in front of Meredith (in 5x19 and 5x22), Alex taking the scarf off Izzie to reveal her bald head; Izzie seeing George when the elevator opened at the end of the finale, and realising what seeing him meant.
What do you think about the season, as a whole? I liked it for the most part. Owen was a fantastic addition, and I appreciated seeing Meredith and Derek in a stable relationship. I loved all the developments with Alex's character (reuniting with Izzie; growing confident in his career), and Izzie's cancer storyline in the last 8 episodes gave the show a real boost. Of course, the Denny storyline dragged after a while (I still think 3 or 4 episodes should have been enough before Izzie realised she could see him because she was sick). Also, I hated seeing George be sidelined, and I think his decreased presence was a bigger blow for the show than the Denny storyline. But overall, the creative quality was up over Season 4.
Most boring storyline, why?: Not really a storyline, but when the Chief took a day off to mope in an exam room about how far the hospital had fallen. It showed what a useless Chief he is when he takes time out just to feel low instead of being an effective leader and doing something pro-active to bring the hospitla out of its decline.
Most entertaining storyline, why?: Mark and Lexie getting together. It wasn't my favourite storyline of the season by any means, but it was the only one I could sit back and enjoy without worrying one of them would die (like with Izzie), one of them would have a breakdown (like with Owen), or stop speaking altogether (like with Meredith and Cristina). It was a strange pairing at first, but ultimately a fun change for Sloan, and a cool storyline to get Lexie out of Meredith's shadow.
Rank the season, 1 - 10: 8/10. I am going easier on the Denny SL in retrospect, so the two points Season 5 loses are because of how George was treated. Not cool that he was treated like a spare tyre.
Anything you'd like to say? Just that Shonda had better recognise how much she tested the faith of the audience this season. The show survived by the skin of its teeth at times, and I don't want to see that repeated in Season 6.