Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2014, 07:15 AM
Master Fan

The brain scan scene gave me so many feels.

Thanks, Jaje!
Old 11-21-2014, 07:20 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Charmed
Patrick Dempsey

"he holds her, and she lets him" perfect

derek shepherd | charmed | borrowed heaven | πŸ’š 𝓳𝒢𝒿𝑒
Old 11-21-2014, 07:51 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG Stargirl (View Post)
Thanks, Steffi, for making me feel like I'm not losing my mind by being able seeing Mer's perspective on this. I was beginning to wonder if I had missed an episode or something.

Yeah, they have quite a history together which influences their prespectives about each other. I thought a lot about the things you've mentioned as well. I guess maybe they do both need to spend a little time apart to consider the value each one brings to the other's life.
Lol you're welcome I totally get your points and personally for me what Derek did hurts me more, too. But Mer is just as much to blame so no worries, girls. Not taking sides
I'm very excited about this storyline and can't wait how they get to solve it.
Now on to read the new Storm chapter

Old 11-21-2014, 08:19 AM
Master Fan

I really was such a ball of emotions after watching 11x8 on Wednesday. The first thing I did was rewatch 9x4 and then I reread this chapter of Storm.

And then yesterday I spent the whole day working on a future chapter of Storm (chapter 13, I think??? We're kind of writing scenes out of order right now). Had to get all those emotions written while they were so strong in my mind.

I do see Meredith's POV, too, and I the "I gave up everything" line bothered me, too. I can understand why Derek's words sting, too, and I understand why she's upset. She feels like he thinks she's invalid. They flashed back to him saying "My career is more important than yours" for a reason, because that's how he's acting. When he said his was more important, it was in the heat of anger. I don't know if he truly, firmly believes that it is, but the reality is, he's the one with a huge opportunity and it is kind of more important than anything Meredith has been presented with, so I get where he's coming from.

It's like Shonda said: Meredith is struggling to be the sun, and Derek is struggling to be less than.

It also goes back to Meredith's comment about him always seeing her as the young intern who fell in love with him. I think that's true. He still sees her as his student, someone who has lesser knowledge than he does. It's like a parent who still sees their adult child as a little kid (sometimes I feel like my mother forgets I'm not a teenager anymore), and it's a very realistic conflict for them to have considering she was his student when they got together. It's hard for him to see that she's now a competent surgeon who doesn't need to be told how to read a brain scan.

This problem really started in season 8 when she was nearing the end of her residency and didn't need his help anymore. He liked she needed his help, and now she doesn't need his help. She can read a brain scan all on her own. That, in essence, I think has been a conflict since post-clinical trial. It was resolved temporarily when Meredith left Neuro, but when you think about it, Meredith leaving Neuro was a bandaid. It didn't fix the underlying issue, it just fixed it temporarily.

The whole conflict with the case in 8x3 is Meredith knew what she was doing and didn't need Derek's help; they were fighting already, but even so, he struggled with the fact that she didn't need him. It's the same thing now.

They weren't a team in 8x3, like Meredith said, and they weren't a team in 11x8, either. They need to agree to be a team, or it's not going to work. 8x3 and 11x8's themes are very much the same--both written by Bill Harper (though I guess Shonda wrote a lot of 11x8 too).
Old 11-21-2014, 08:41 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Charmed
Patrick Dempsey

Bill writes quality angst for MD.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:44 AM
Master Fan

I really wish they had their argument at home and Meredith would have asked him why he doesn't just go to DC, and then he could have pointed at the post-it. "That's why."

It would have been the perfect scene, but I guess they wanted them to 'break post-it' temporarily, to amplify the emotion for when they finally mention the post-it note (11x10). Tia will do it, I'm sure of it, since the last time it appeared was 10x14 and she's writing 11x10. Seems like she's the perfect person to bring this in a full circle.

Although I thought Bill would at least mention it, since he did in 8x3. Then again, if he HAD done that, mentioned it, then Derek probably would not have gone to DC, and if he had - with the post-it being mentioned - it would have diminished the meaning of the post-it. It's better that it wasn't mentioned.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Charmed
Patrick Dempsey

Maybe that is what we will come back to. That scene that Caterina said still didnt happen

Old 11-21-2014, 08:49 AM
Master Fan

I still think the scene Caterina mentioned will happen in 11x9. I can't think of how it could have even fit into 11x8? 11x8 seemed to all take place on the same day, and Amelia was busy with Herman's brain tumor and MerDer were busy with their patient. If it was all one day, they wouldn't have gone home to argue or anything like that.

So maybe it happens the next day, after Amelia finds Meredith distraught and offers to take the kids out. I definitely think 11x9 is the day after (or even the same night as) 11x8.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Patrick Dempsey

hey :hug;
They're not enough
Jenღ Icon by jaje
Old 11-21-2014, 08:51 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Charmed
Patrick Dempsey

Yeah. Maybe they fight more when they get home.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:59 AM
Passionate Fan

Oh we're in for one angsty ride. Can't wait.
Hey Jen

Old 11-21-2014, 09:00 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Charmed
Patrick Dempsey

Im reading Ellen and Patricks Post Mortem interview again

Hi girls btw

Old 11-21-2014, 09:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Patrick Dempsey

Maybe so
steffi
They're not enough
Jenღ Icon by jaje
Old 11-21-2014, 09:11 AM
Master Fan

Tbh I think Derek will go straight to the airport. I don't think he will go home.

Just my guess. And she'll be left wondering what happened to him. Then they don't show Derek for most of 11X9, until the last scene where we see him on a plane arriving in DC or something like that.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:12 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Charmed
Patrick Dempsey

Quote:
ellen: but I'm advocating for him to stay away longer because I think if he comes back too soon it's not realistic
She got a point