Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-20-2014, 04:58 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokarev (View Post)
In my last post I was saying that I don't believe that she would be actually jealous, and now look at the synopsis.

Yeah, I know, the fandom is really cruel when it comes to Jo, but I think that won't change so fast. I'm not quite sure but I think a lot of people only started liking April in s9, and I had already started liking her in s7. Sometimes it really takes long. I actually think I haven't seen a fandom being so hateful towards any kind of newbies like the Grey's fandom. I think it might be because the cast is very bloated and loved characters keep leaving or dying, and most of the time ships only get 30 seconds of screen time per episode since most of the time is being used for the medical stuff. It causes people to get frustrated that they didn't get much storyline for their OTP and they start hating on the new characters stealing screen time. I think it happened with almost every new character ever coming into the show. Of course I hope that soon people will start liking Jo more, but I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't happen, so we really shouldn't be worrying about her popularity all the time. I think with actually three of the new interns being gone now and only Jo and Steph being left people could soften up a bit about the "interns stealing screentime". After all we can't only have attendings on the show.
True, true, true. I agree with everything you said. For almost every specialty we have two characters and I feel like there are way too many attendings now. But they are also the characters who have been there since forever. And the people love them. So you can't really kill some of them off or make them leave, and in result the cast is huge. I would hate if people kept hating on Jo and Steph for stealing screen time now, it's only them left anyway. And well, Ben who is still a recurring character.

By the way, why are they making Alex and Bailey go in front of the board now? I guess the shares really don't go along with the seat, and in the finale Alex was only talking about the shares, right? It annoys me that they won't just give him the seat, he has a say in the hospital now, he's a damn co-owner.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:18 PM
Dedicated Fan

Yes, I guess the shares and the seat aren't connected and that's why this drama between Alex and Bailey will be possible. I don't like him having to fight against her, what kind of a say does Webber even have in this? He was in no way entitled to promise her the seat. Sometimes I wonder why he is even in the board meetings, maybe to give his character a purpose. I think Alex wouldn't even want to be on the board after doing it for some time, it's not his thing. But I want him to at least try and see for himself instead of never even getting the chance.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Loyal Fan

You know what's funny? We keep saying that being a board member isn't Alex's thing or working in a private practice isn't Alex's thing, but Alex has been changing over the past 10 seasons, and maybe he could actually be on the board and make good decisions. We've never seen him as the head of anything, but maybe he wouldn't even be that bad. He has a temper, that's for sure, but so do other board members like Callie I remember not thinking that Cristina would enjoy being on the board but she did it anyway. So yeah, maybe Alex would be actually quite good at it and surprise us
Old 09-21-2014, 12:55 AM
Part-Time Fan

I'm still not too worried about this either. Fine, they used the word jealous in the synopsis, but I can't really imagine Jo being openly jealous and show it in front of Meredith or even confront her... or Alex. I'll stick to the theory that she'll open up to Stephanie and that Steph will be the one to set Alex's head straight. I think I would really like it if the story went that way.

Quote:
when have someone ever been jealous of Alex? Never! We have seen jealous Alex, but no one ever was jealous of him.
Oh I like the way you think. This has indeed never happened before. And since I don't think (hope) that this story will show Jo in a bad light, I think I'm actually looking forward to this.

Quote:
and they start hating on the new characters stealing screen time. I think it happened with almost every new character ever coming into the show.
This is very true I think. I remember even Lexie was hated quite a bit when she first came to the show in s4. I wonder, does it even matter if the online fandom likes Jo? I think the casual viewers are fine with her. And with Shonda I don't even think it matters what anybody thinks. She does what she wants anyways. I always feel like her favs get the stories and Alex was never one of those. Neither is Jo I fear.

Quote:
But they are also the characters who have been there since forever. And the people love them. So you can't really kill some of them off or make them leave, and in result the cast is huge
True. For me Bailey and Webber are an exception to that rule, though. I don't think a lot of people would be TOO pissed, if they'd write them out. I liked them in earlier seasons, especially Bailey. But I'm so over them now. I don't care about them at all anymore. But I think Shonda doesn't want to let go of them.

Quote:
By the way, why are they making Alex and Bailey go in front of the board now? I guess the shares really don't go along with the seat, and in the finale Alex was only talking about the shares, right? It annoys me that they won't just give him the seat, he has a say in the hospital now, he's a damn co-owner.
I find this highly upsetting tbh, much more than the jealousy thing. Cristina gave it to him for god's sake! I'm already annoyed at Bailey's part in that story. We don't need another entitled and presumptuous person on that board. The board members always act so full of themselves, it always makes me hate their scenes.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:00 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarens (View Post)
https://twitter.com/JChambersOnline/...995648/photo/1

Ugh no, this really sounds like she will be jealous. Why are they doing this? When has Jo ever been jealous of anyone?
well i'ts could be funny.... i'm no worried about this

09/11/01=NEVER FORGET RIP PAUL WALKER- CORY AND NAYA
Elodie"Aujourd'hui il va pleuvoir,mais demain le soleil brillera..."
Old 09-21-2014, 04:32 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'msolost (View Post)
This is very true I think. I remember even Lexie was hated quite a bit when she first came to the show in s4. I wonder, does it even matter if the online fandom likes Jo? I think the casual viewers are fine with her. And with Shonda I don't even think it matters what anybody thinks. She does what she wants anyways. I always feel like her favs get the stories and Alex was never one of those. Neither is Jo I fear.
Yes, I remember people hating on Lexie too when she first appeared, and in the end everybody was devastated that she died. I always had thought that the Grey's fans were an older fanbase, dunno, the show just doesn't feel like a teenie show to me, but when I see the fandom on twitter and tumblr it's usually teens who hate on everything new and different. I am one of those people who try to stay unbiased and neutral about new characters. Sometimes I grow to love them, sometimes I can't, even after seasons pass. I wasn't immediately a Jo fan either, it took me some time to warm up to her. But I was never hateful like some people, especially because they ship Alex with someone else.

Quote:
True. For me Bailey and Webber are an exception to that rule, though. I don't think a lot of people would be TOO pissed, if they'd write them out. I liked them in earlier seasons, especially Bailey. But I'm so over them now. I don't care about them at all anymore. But I think Shonda doesn't want to let go of them.
Really, I feel like we all are quite annoyed with them, I haven't seen anyone in a long time who said that they still love either of them. But they are also original characters and I think that they don't want to get rid of them.

Quote:
I find this highly upsetting tbh, much more than the jealousy thing. Cristina gave it to him for god's sake! I'm already annoyed at Bailey's part in that story. We don't need another entitled and presumptuous person on that board. The board members always act so full of themselves, it always makes me hate their scenes.
It wouldn't be Grey's if they didn't make a drama out of everything, and I think that's the main reason why they won't just give Alex the seat even though it should be his now. Okay, it's also true that Alex didn't really do anything to earn the seat, Cristina just gave it to him, so I can understand if they want to make him at least fight for it.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:40 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsweetgirlx91 (View Post)
You know what's funny? We keep saying that being a board member isn't Alex's thing or working in a private practice isn't Alex's thing, but Alex has been changing over the past 10 seasons, and maybe he could actually be on the board and make good decisions. We've never seen him as the head of anything, but maybe he wouldn't even be that bad. He has a temper, that's for sure, but so do other board members like Callie I remember not thinking that Cristina would enjoy being on the board but she did it anyway. So yeah, maybe Alex would be actually quite good at it and surprise us
Hah, that's true! He might as well do a good job at it, who knows! I would love him to enjoy it.

Quote:
Okay, it's also true that Alex didn't really do anything to earn the seat, Cristina just gave it to him, so I can understand if they want to make him at least fight for it.
Yes, I know. I've seen some people who don't like Alex much who feel like he doesn't deserve being on the board at all. And that he didn't deserve having been given these shares. With him having to fight for it maybe the people will be more accepting. But I mean, someone had to get the shares, and Cristina wanted this someone to be Alex and I will love her forever for it.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:35 AM
Master Fan

for new fans i'm totally invisible here..lol

09/11/01=NEVER FORGET RIP PAUL WALKER- CORY AND NAYA
Elodie"Aujourd'hui il va pleuvoir,mais demain le soleil brillera..."

Last edited by ryanforever; 09-21-2014 at 11:28 AM
Old 09-21-2014, 11:00 AM
Elite Fan

Don't worry, everyone. I fixed the synopsis.

I'm not worried about this whole thing affecting the relationship negatively (I think it'll have a positive affect, actually), but I'm not overly happy that it's something that's being done in the first place, and I'm worried it might end up being really silly (like the whole "going 3 weeks thinking you're engaged and not mentioning it to anyone, even the person you kind-of-but-not-really proposed to" debacle).
Old 09-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Dedicated Fan

Ahah ok, this synopsis is much better! Lol

I'm not worried about Jo's jealous, but I want this to go somewhere for them... I mean when Alex will realize how Jo feels maybe we can have a serious talking between them, and then wouldn't be the best thing ever if this is the moment when Jo said I love you to Alex??? I know it's like she has already said ILY to him, but we haven't heard it yet, so maybe when she realize that she is also jealous of him maybe we can have a deep speech from her about how she loves him... ok, now I'm dreaming, but I would really love this, I need to hear ILY from Jo.

I have to admit it, I'm upset about the "Alex and Bailey prepare to go in front of the board" part. It's not for the story, I know is GA so of course every situation must have the drama in it, and I'm also so curious and very interested about this Alex-Bailey fight, I like the story... but what bothered me is that Alex have to prove something also if he is the owner of the share. Of course they have to choose the best for the hospital, but all the people who now are on the board hadn't to prove if they were good for the seat, they had the money so they buy the share, and now Alex have the shere... So what happen if they choose Bailey? The share are still of Alex... I really don't know how this will work! Now I'm looking already for 11x03!

Quote:
You know what's funny? We keep saying that being a board member isn't Alex's thing or working in a private practice isn't Alex's thing, but Alex has been changing over the past 10 seasons, and maybe he could actually be on the board and make good decisions. We've never seen him as the head of anything, but maybe he wouldn't even be that bad.
Lol, you are so right! I think I'm more about him not like the seat on the board than not be able at it. Alex is so much underrated, not only by fans, but also from other doctors, so I really would love if he got the seat and shows how good he is also in this new situation. Maybe it's not his thing, but when someone don't trust Alex for something, I always think, if he managed to take care a family with two little sibling, a ill mother and a drugs addict father when he was still a kid, then he can do everything! Lol, I know is so much different, but the way Alex survived and made is family survived too, always make me think he can do anything.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:45 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'msolost (View Post)
I'm still not too worried about this either. Fine, they used the word jealous in the synopsis, but I can't really imagine Jo being openly jealous and show it in front of Meredith or even confront her... or Alex. I'll stick to the theory that she'll open up to Stephanie and that Steph will be the one to set Alex's head straight. I think I would really like it if the story went that way.

Oh I like the way you think. This has indeed never happened before. And since I don't think (hope) that this story will show Jo in a bad light, I think I'm actually looking forward to this.

Jo is more hated online from shippers IMO because She was an obvious plot device to get with Karev, Jo isn't known as her own character because before she was even able to establish herself she was thrown into a relationship and it's all about her one big purpose was for Alex to move on from Izzy. Lexie came in Season 4 and it wasn't until mid Season 5 that she was in her serious relationship, and the same goes for April and Jackson. I'm a fan of Cami and I wanted to love the character and any potential relationship she would have but they rushed her character to fit into Karev's world way too fast and by that hurt her character. Of course this is just my opinion. I think a lot of people need to be invested in both parties before said person can invest in a couple. It took me a whole season to get invested into Alex's character so I was hoping for the same writing but it just wasn't there with Jo or the Jolax pairing and it's a shame because they could have become a fan favorite just like Japril are.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:01 PM
Master Fan

Tbh it took me a long time to like Alex. There are many times I haven't liked him. I hated him in season 7 when he ratted out Meredith for messing with the trial. He has his ups and downs, and despite everything, it's his friendship with Meredith that made me invested in him as a character. The first episode I saw was one of Izzie's cancer episodes. Bear in mind, I knew nothing about the characters' backgrounds at the time, but I thought he and Izzie were a cute couple right away. Then a few months later I went back and watched from the beginning, and the Denny/Izzie storyline ruined Izzie/Alex as a couple for me. Then the Ava/Rebecca/Alex storyline ruined them even more.

I agree that Jo's character isn't well established, and they've skipped so many steps with Jolex, which bugs me. I want to know more about Jo, but it's hard when there are so many storylines going on to focus on her background alone. We've had ten season of Alex, and his storyline still isn't nearly as developed as Cristina's and Meredith's and even Izzie's and George's were before they left. Alex has been an after thought since day one, since his first scenes were either reshot or edited anyway. He wasn't in the original script.

I personally like Camilla and I think she has chemistry with Justin, Ellen, Sara, and Patrick. At least those are the people I've enjoyed her scenes with the most.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:19 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah, Alex is a character it took a while for me to get invested in as well, like you it's the relationship/friendship he has with Meredith is what made me invest into his character completely. Again, I completely agree, Alex and Jo both need to be invested in by the writers or the viewers just won't care and like you said the viewers care about Alex because it's been 10 seasons, Jo on the other hand has had one season and we don't know much about her besides the fact that she grew up in an environment somewhat like Alex's.

I love Cam and think she does have chemistry with Justin and everyone else which is why it was such a big failure that the writers just threw them together within a season and made them serious. The beats in a love story is just as important as they are when it's the character you're telling a story about and Jolex missed that or more less the writers messed it up. I think Jolex needs a good storyline to get the viewers, like myself invested in not only Jo but in her relationship with others more importantly in her relationship with Alex. Until that happens it just seems like they're wasting another good season on ignoring all those beats.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:08 PM
Elite Fan

Ehhh, I think people put too much in backstory informing a character, when there's plenty to be said about a character in their actions/reactions. Anyone who takes even a minute to think about how a character acts and reacts in certain situations will get to know said character a whole lot more.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:00 PM
Master Fan

I disagree. Yes, there's a lot a character's actions can tell you about a character, but their actions don't tell the whole story. You can't truly understand why a character acts the way they do without back story. And without that understanding, it's virtually impossible to care about them. I think back story is crucial to character development. If I didn't know Alex's back story, I wouldn't understand him and wouldn't care about him as much as I do.

Now, we know more about Jo than we do Stephanie. We literally know nothing about Stephanie.

There are so many stories to tell, though, and there are definitely more precedent characters than Stephanie. Still, three years later, and these characters still have no back story. Heck, Maggie has more of a back story than Stephanie and Jo combined, and she's been in two episodes.