Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Dedicated Fan

I just watched the scene again, and as much as I hate the fact he fought with her that day, and the circumstances behind it, I still love the scene.. It's what I've been wanting for ages, emotional jolex. The only issue I have is that the emotion is mostly Jo, and we aren't seeing what we want to see from Alex. I know he stopped her, but I don't think he is actually registering the fact that she was LEAVING him. Because of that, I really don't know what they will do.

HOWEVER in saying that, I still loved the scene and I think mostly because of the song. If you actually listen to it how PERFECT was it for them!!! 'You were everything to me, and I was begging you please don't go' when Jo is about to walk about the door! Also 'baby just say yes' when he opens the box, but my favourite part is that they used the line 'this love is difficult, but it's real...don't be afraid, we'll make it out of this mess' now I don't know if it means all that much but I LOVED the placement of the song and the cover was BEAUTIFUL. It just reminded me why I love them so much God I just want them to
Work it out, Alex, ffs WAKE UP and realise what you have and are almost loosing!!!!
Old 11-23-2015, 10:39 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
So do you think even if Jo says no to him, things aren't gonna change?
I kinda lost hope in general. But Jo saying no could be the only way some things are gonna change. What makes me furious in regards of this situation is how the writers always make it look like Alex cares more about Meredith than Jo. Mer treats Jo poorly, he doesn't even acknowledge it but when Jo says it out loud he's offended on Meredith's behalf and defends her. And even tops that and says how much Meredith means to him. Instead of telling Meredith how much Jo means to him so that maybe Meredith will make an effort to be friendlier to Jo. I had hope after Alex's "I want you and all of it with you" speech in 11x24 and even after him only telling about his childhood obesity to Jo that we were back to the old Alex and Jo who trust each other more than anyone else but that didn't last.

I'm just freaking tired of this person crap. It's childish and toxic and it makes people think that Merlex should or will be a couple. Alex's behavior towards Jo these days isn't exactly helping. I don't even need for people to all ship Jolex but I just need for them to accept that Alex and Jo are a longterm couple. The writers didn't change their minds after adding Maggie and Amelia and they didn't change their minds after Derek died. Alex and Jo have had history before these things happened and they have a better understanding of each other than anyone else understands either of them. Just because someone else lost their significant other doesn't mean that Alex's whole story on the show will be re-written so he can be their love interest. And I'm freaking glad that the writers decided to allow him his own story with Jo, even though they haven't exactly showed much of that lately.

Quote:
The only issue I have is that the emotion is mostly Jo, and we aren't seeing what we want to see from Alex. I know he stopped her, but I don't think he is actually registering the fact that she was LEAVING him. Because of that, I really don't know what they will do.
That is actually so true. I'm not sure if the reason he didn't look so worried after pulling out the ring was because Jo almost looked happy and emotional (or so you can think by her covering her mouth with her hands) and he thought that the ring would change her mind. I guess it's his way of saying "you come first to me, I want to marry you" but I wish he'd show it more! And emotion-void Alex is something I've had an issue with since last season. I'm not sure what it is and if being Meredith's person is taking up so much of his energy, but he always looks so tired and drained. He's just not as passionate as he once used to be. At least he went all jackass in the fight with Jo, so we know it's still there, but he sure could show it more when he's being loving.

I really think there's gonna be more to this proposal and it's not gonna end well, because I really think there's more they could've done with it. I love the scene too because several aspects of it were perfectly Jolex but it's not how I imagined their proposal to go.

Quote:
Sad Justin never be interviewed
I NEED this so badly. I want to hear Justin's take on this whole situation!
Old 11-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
HOWEVER in saying that, I still loved the scene and I think mostly because of the song. If you actually listen to it how PERFECT was it for them!!! 'You were everything to me, and I was begging you please don't go' when Jo is about to walk about the door! Also 'baby just say yes' when he opens the box, but my favourite part is that they used the line 'this love is difficult, but it's real...don't be afraid, we'll make it out of this mess' now I don't know if it means all that much but I LOVED the placement of the song and the cover was BEAUTIFUL.
OMG I loved the song too!!!
I think was just perfect for the moment and the text was so appropriate for both Jo and Alex. Like you said I loved the "I was begging you please don't go" and the "baby just say yes", but I also loved that the song talked about "princess" and it reminded me Jolex in S9, and also because in the text there is a part that fixed so much with everything at the moment:

Romeo save me, I've been feeling so alone.
I keep waiting, for you but you never come.
Is this in my head, I don't know what to think-
He knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring and said...

Marry me Juliet, you'll never have to be alone.
I love you, and that's all I really know.

Really loved it!

Quote:
but I don't think he is actually registering the fact that she was LEAVING him.
I laugh so hard at that. But, sadly, this is so true. He is absolutely oblivious about everything, and maybe once I would find that cute, but now it piss me off so bad. Someone need to wake him up, because I can't stand anymore this Alex, it make me angry, and it make me sad.

Quote:
I'm just freaking tired of this person crap. It's childish and toxic
I feel like throw up just to hear that word now. The problem is I would never thought Alex would let himself carried away with that crap. Actually, the real Alex would never do that, or neglect his girlfriend for do that, but of course they needed to ruin him for benefit others, so...
Old 11-23-2015, 03:02 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I feel like throw up just to hear that word now. The problem is I would never thought Alex would let himself carried away with that crap. Actually, the real Alex would never do that, or neglect his girlfriend for do that, but of course they needed to ruin him for benefit others, so...
That is so true. He always found that person stuff stupid and look at him now.. I think what made me gag was him whispering to Mer "it's definitely because of a chick" or whatever he said in that scene. I wanted to scream at the writers "what have you done to my Alex???" Can we at least not have him gossip around? I really don't like that he's becoming such a girl himself. I guess that's what happens when you hang out with the sisters 24/7.

I just really really only want a little less of Alex with his stupid friends. If he has to support Meredith I'm fine with that but I can't stand the rest. Except for Arizona but it's not like we're seeing much of that friendship.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:50 AM
Part-Time Fan

What happened to Spirit of the Radio? Did we chase her away? I hope not. I always enjoyed reading her opinion.

I'm pretty fed up with Alex + the sisters scenes too, but that doesn't mean I find all of Alex's actions in them annoying, stupid or ooc. Eg. I had no problem with him speculating about the Riggs/Hunt situation. Alex was engaged in some gossiping even way back in the earlier seasons. Like when Meredith and George slept together and he said "I bet he caught Meredith doing McDreamy" or something like that. Or when he would bet with Cristina about the whole Derek vs. Finn thing. That's why I actually had no problem with him gossiping. This one time,

However, what I did have problem with was the way he was so oblivious to Jo in the car. And then of course the things he said during their fight. That was pretty bad. Still, I try to keep in mind, that it HAD to be pretty bad in order to get Jo where the writers wanted her to be in the end. They had her putting up with so much all this time, so they made it worse to show she's finally had enough. IMO it was pretty bad writing. It was plot-driven instead of character-driven. They knew where they wanted this story to end - with a cliffhanger proposal - but they didn't put that much effort into making it all covincing. Bc one can't help but wonder: Who on earth would propose to their SO after a huge fight where you basically negated all of your girlfriend's worries?

Also yeah, I think the fact that Jo was about to leave, didn't completely register with Alex. But he would be a pretty unperceptive and insensitive moron, if it didn't dawn on him once he had a minute to process and think about everything for a moment. It happened all so quickly after all. I'm willing to cut him some slack for the moment. But still... I hope this ends up being Alex's wake-up call. I need him to realise how close he is to losing Jo. And while I believe that everything he said was genuine, he needs turn his words into actions. Because only saying it is not good enough.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:02 AM
Master Fan

Anyone have heard the last podcast? nothing on Jolex??

09/11/01=NEVER FORGET RIP PAUL WALKER- CORY AND NAYA
Elodie"Aujourd'hui il va pleuvoir,mais demain le soleil brillera..."
Old 11-24-2015, 05:42 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I'm pretty fed up with Alex + the sisters scenes too, but that doesn't mean I find all of Alex's actions in them annoying, stupid or ooc. Eg. I had no problem with him speculating about the Riggs/Hunt situation. Alex was engaged in some gossiping even way back in the earlier seasons. Like when Meredith and George slept together and he said "I bet he caught Meredith doing McDreamy" or something like that. Or when he would bet with Cristina about the whole Derek vs. Finn thing. That's why I actually had no problem with him gossiping. This one time,
I remember those. But since they happened so early in the seasons when Alex still was such a different character I think I'm just not used to him gossiping anymore. I mean I'm sure there have been more recent examples too, or maybe I just hated how he was whispering with Mer about gossip while Jo was standing next to them? He really was so weird to her all episode. I'm sure some of it had to stem from his nervousity about his upcoming proposal but it's still not how you should treat your SO when you're so in love with them that you want to spend the rest of your life with them. Idk, Alex just frustrates me a lot these days.

I guess it's true that it was all rather plot-driven. I'm just pretty sure that this proposal isn't gonna end well, so I hope that the writers have a good storyline up their sleeves and needed this proposal as a catalyst or something. Because if it was only done to give Jolex a cliffhanger I don't like that idea much.
Btw I was scared we had chased you away too, I'msolost. Glad you're still here.

ryanforever I just looked and the last Shondaland revealed was with Tony Goldwyn, so I assume they only talked about Scandal. Do you know if they do any podcasts during the hiatus?

Last edited by xsweetgirlx91; 11-24-2015 at 06:42 AM
Old 11-24-2015, 07:23 AM
Loyal Fan

Alex IS super frustrating. I can totally understand xsweetgirlx91. Most of his scenes lately annoy me too and I guess most of it is because of his friends. But like you two said, the way he treats Jo is what's worst.

I honestly don't understand him anymore. Maybe Jo should've said something sooner, she definitely should've said something sooner, but is he really so obvlivious that he doesn't even realize that he neglected her? Just a tiny bit of self-awareness would be nice. Something like "I know I haven't been there for you as much as I should've. It's just that Mer had so much going on and she needed me and I got caught up in being there for her." Just something that tells me that he's aware of what he's doing. It blows my mind that he thinks that proposing to her after treating her the way he did would be a good idea.

Or you know, why is he treating her like this in the first place? Ignoring her at work, ignoring her in the car, dismissing everything she says? I have no doubts that he loves her and that he genuinely wants to marry her. But his actions don't match his words or his mind.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:57 AM
Loyal Fan

Exactly that is my problem. Alex is a guy so I'm not surprised that he's pretty oblivious about most things but when it comes to Meredith he has this OTT intuition that tells him when she's upset but when it comes to Jo he doesn't even see how treating her the way he is is not ideal?

I'm telling you, to me it just feels like the writers have messed up both Alex and Jo pretty bad. They're not writing them how they should be written but how they just need them to behave because they use them for other characters and their storylines. For me Alex is worse though because with Jo I at least understand where she's coming from. Maybe it's easier for me in her case because I'm a woman too.

I read someone saying that Alex's treatment of Jo changes drastically whenever he's with friends and whenever it's just him and Jo. Guess that's true. God when did all of this happen? I don't want a marriage where Alex is MIA most days because he's hanging out with his friends or where they're at a dinner party and he doesn't even sit next to Jo. I think what I desperately need for Jolex is a common friend. Or maybe a couple that is friends with them whom they can double date with. So I can see them hang out with people but still act like a couple. Not have Alex ignore her just because he's among his friiends.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:35 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
And then of course the things he said during their fight. That was pretty bad. Still, I try to keep in mind, that it HAD to be pretty bad in order to get Jo where the writers wanted her to be in the end. They had her putting up with so much all this time, so they made it worse to show she's finally had enough. IMO it was pretty bad writing. It was plot-driven instead of character-driven. They knew where they wanted this story to end - with a cliffhanger proposal - but they didn't put that much effort into making it all covincing. Bc one can't help but wonder: Who on earth would propose to their SO after a huge fight where you basically negated all of your girlfriend's worries?
I 100% agree with that.
More I think about it and more I realize how Jo's situation was exaggerated only for the cliffhanger. They needed Alex be there for Meredith, so since they had this story, they decided to use it and put it at the limit for the proposal. Otherwise why Jo would said no to Alex? There wasn't reason for it, you see it also in 12x03 how Jo wanted more, so they needed a problem for make a cliffhanger. And they decide to make Jo feel like crap so we can have this stand-by situation.
The problem is that they did it in a really horrible way. They destroyed everything, they ruined Jo, and sure they ruined Alex with that, because I will never accept that Alex could say these horrible things the same day he wants to propose to the person he wants to marry, absolutely no.
It was all about a really bad writing IMO.

Now I just hope they try to fix it with Alex finally understand the problem, with a really big wake up call for him, that only Jo can give him.

Quote:
I read someone saying that Alex's treatment of Jo changes drastically whenever he's with friends and whenever it's just him and Jo.
Sadly, this is true. And this is why I blame Alex for the entire situation. For me it's all his fault how his friends don't take Jo so serious. And I'm not talking about work, where they are her bosses, but I'm talking about the girlfriend's thing. His friends don't take Jo serious about that, (and I already made the example with Amelia that invited Jo to the dinner like she wasn't supposed to go with Alex) and the reason could be the way how Alex acts with her when they are with other people. I know they aren't this sloppy couple, I'm not talking about kisses and caresses in public, but he didn't show much importance/interest/seriousness toward Jo (not sit with her/not care when she is talking etc..) when he is with his friends, and this is projected on how the others perceive their relationship IMO. And that sucks. And is Alex's fault.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

His behavior does change. He sides with his friends over Jo. He laughed in her face

'People that are meant to be together always find their way in the end'
BrookeღLucas l EdwardღBella l RonღHermione l RyanღTaylor
avi: NOLA504
Old 11-24-2015, 12:50 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Otherwise why Jo would said no to Alex? There wasn't reason for it, you see it also in 12x03 how Jo wanted more, so they needed a problem for make a cliffhanger.
That's true. Maybe they wanted to create some drama but honestly? Couldn't they just have gone with "Jo doesn't believe in marriage and thinks that a marriage license kills the romance" thing they had in 10x16? Or did that happen too long ago and they don't think people remember? Because yeah, in 12x03 it did look like Jo wanted marriage and now that they have made this situation with Meredith reach a peak they used it as a form to prevent them from getting married without any drama.

I hope the fact that Jo will not say yes (not sure if she will say no) will make Alex realize that he can't keep going like this. Nobody, including Jo, says that he shouldn't be there for his friends but he's overdoing it and he's treating Jo like crap in the process. I hate that the writers have done this to Jolex and I hate that it's Alex who has become so obsessed with his superficial friendships. I really need a change there, I'm pretty sure i'll take almsot every possible scenario. Either they include Jo more into his friendships (what about the Mer/Jo bonding Shonda wanted to do??? If Jo and Alex will get married at some point there better be some Mer/Jo bonding first) or they make Alex spend less time with his friends or they just give him and Jo a common new friend (couple).

Quote:
His behavior does change. He sides with his friends over Jo. He laughed in her face
This makes me so mad. And yet people always take his side.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:19 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Couldn't they just have gone with "Jo doesn't believe in marriage and thinks that a marriage license kills the romance" thing they had in 10x16?
Hahaha of course they couldn't! Because that would mean a storyline all about Jolex.

For this reason I said since they needed Alex for Mer and couldn't have him busy for something else related to his relationship, they used the same storyline for make a problem for Jolex; practically they killed two birds with one stone, they had Alex all for what they needed and they had Jo with no one, so they didn't need even to develop her, and they got a Jolex's problem/cliffhanger with minimal effort. What a genius they are.

Quote:
I hope the fact that Jo will not say yes (not sure if she will say no) will make Alex realize that he can't keep going like this. Nobody, including Jo, says that he shouldn't be there for his friends but he's overdoing it and he's treating Jo like crap in the process. I hate that the writers have done this to Jolex and I hate that it's Alex who has become so obsessed with his superficial friendships. I really need a change there, I'm pretty sure i'll take almsot every possible scenario. Either they include Jo more into his friendships (what about the Mer/Jo bonding Shonda wanted to do??? If Jo and Alex will get married at some point there better be some Mer/Jo bonding first) or they make Alex spend less time with his friends or they just give him and Jo a common new friend (couple).
Well, even if I don't trust GA writers anymore, I think that if Jo doesn't say yes, Alex will understand and change his behaviour. I really believe that, and I can't wait for it.

And I still remember Shonda's comment about how "Mer needs to know Jo".. the problem is, I don't know if I still want some kind of relationship between them. Sure I want see them be civil and Mer stops be a completely bitch, but after all of her "acidity" I'm not sure I want something else now.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

I will never take his side in that. He should be completely ASHAMED of himself!

'People that are meant to be together always find their way in the end'
BrookeღLucas l EdwardღBella l RonღHermione l RyanღTaylor
avi: NOLA504
Old 11-24-2015, 05:54 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
For this reason I said since they needed Alex for Mer and couldn't have him busy for something else related to his relationship, they used the same storyline for make a problem for Jolex; practically they killed two birds with one stone, they had Alex all for what they needed and they had Jo with no one, so they didn't need even to develop her, and they got a Jolex's problem/cliffhanger with minimal effort. What a genius they are.

I hate that we have to wait 3 months to find out what is next for them.