Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-20-2015, 07:11 PM
Master Fan

I honestly feel like another major disaster (probably a fire) is coming and multiple people may be affected. I had a dream last year about the frat house catching on fire while Jolex were babysitting. /If/ that happened, it wouldn't be the first time Shonda let a house catch on fire with kids inside (it happened on Private Practice). So many mentions of fires and car crashes last season between Meredith and Alex. It looks like a car crash is coming (which very well may be Meredith) then the big disaster (a fire) may be the season finale.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:27 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirona (View Post)
I'm new to this topic so I'd like to say "hi" and bring some of my thoughts about Jolex and other characters, especially Meredith. I don't know if it's only me, but I have a feeling like Jo wants to know Mer better and she wants to be known by Mer better too. She kind of idolize Mer and could, potentially, play a little sister's role. I know Mer has Maggie, but Alex is like a brother to Mer and Jo has some Lexie's treats, like beautiful brain - she's great at math, just like Lexie was, she's great surgeon already, she has a huge talent and is highly intelligent. The only thing she's lack of is family and knowledge how to "work with family". Mer was always hard to get to know, but once she warmed up to someone, she became really nice and I'd like to see it happening between her and Jo since she's already at Alex's house almost every night.

Now Alex. I love how he grew up and is in a serious relationship. He knows what he wants, he loves Jo and she loves him and it's sooo great to see them both on the screen. They're my OTP. He became responsible, partially thanks to Jo too, since she made him think about his future not only as a couple, but on the financial status as well (oh how beautiful her brain is, really). But he still has some issues. One of them is Mer and her lack of boundaries. She comes when she wants to, she interrupts their sleep, she's in their bed, in their shower... it's weird and he has to put some boundaries. He also should really defend Jo when Mer speaks awful about her. A hoodlum, really? This "hoodlum" was there for Alex when he had a problem with his dad, when his dad was dying and when he finally died. She was there when he had a financial problems, when he was chosing a different road. She was the only one who supported him because Meredith had too many kids and too many patients and she couldn't handle broken Alex at that time. She didn't even trust him when they were trying to buy the hospital. Now, that he's her person, she should really respect his private life. He's not Cristina and he'll never be. Besides, when she was an intern/resident, nobody from Derek's friends ignored her and what's she doing? Pretty much trying to ignore Jo. I like Mer, but I don't like how she's acting towards Jo who I really adore from the very first scene.
Welcome here, always lovely to meet fellow Jolex fans! And in my case it's also a fellow Outlaw Queen fan but that's not the right thread for it here

I agree. Alex still doesn't quite know how to handle Mer and Jo. But honestly, I think even with an objective POV we can say that it's not Jo who is making things complicated here. At first I thought that she would get jealous and cause problems but she's making a genuine effort to be nice to Meredith who only keeps shutting her down. I honestly don't know why. Is it because all she has left right now is Alex and she doesn't like that he's not available 100% of the time? Is she scared to lose him to Jo? I have no damn clue but it's not a situation I like. I don't like that Mer is so dependent on Alex. She's a strong person who shouldn't lean on to others too much all the time. And Alex is actually jealous of Maggie possibly replacing him. It seems that his entire focus this season is on Meredith, so I have to say that him actually coming up with the marriage topic now caught me by surprise since I haven't seen him too affectionate with Jo this season.

What I hate most about this entire situation is that we just have to settle. We are settling for Jo coming 2nd in Alex's life right now because it seems that Jo is settling herself. There is no discussion about this, there is no change. So far most of Alex's scenes were with his friends. I miss cute or emotional Jolex scenes but nothing we've gotten so far was any of that (except 11x06).. If they're gonna get married I want to see more Jolex again. I don't mind the Merlex but why do we have to watch him hang out with Callie and Maggie so much? Callie, Maggie and Mer are all alone right now and can have their girl talks and vent about their spouses but why is Alex in this? To me he doesn't fit in that group and I don't enjoy their scenes. I'm sorry but I don't. I'd rather see Alex/Arizona than Alex/Callie or Alex/Maggie. And I most definitely need more Jolex.

I agree with everything that yarens said btw. And I'm not sure about the NDE. Feels like we're not getting anything big for Alex this season.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:22 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsweetgirlx91 (View Post)
Welcome here, always lovely to meet fellow Jolex fans! And in my case it's also a fellow Outlaw Queen fan but that's not the right thread for it here

I agree. Alex still doesn't quite know how to handle Mer and Jo. But honestly, I think even with an objective POV we can say that it's not Jo who is making things complicated here. At first I thought that she would get jealous and cause problems but she's making a genuine effort to be nice to Meredith who only keeps shutting her down. I honestly don't know why. Is it because all she has left right now is Alex and she doesn't like that he's not available 100% of the time? Is she scared to lose him to Jo? I have no damn clue but it's not a situation I like. I don't like that Mer is so dependent on Alex. She's a strong person who shouldn't lean on to others too much all the time. And Alex is actually jealous of Maggie possibly replacing him. It seems that his entire focus this season is on Meredith, so I have to say that him actually coming up with the marriage topic now caught me by surprise since I haven't seen him too affectionate with Jo this season.

What I hate most about this entire situation is that we just have to settle. We are settling for Jo coming 2nd in Alex's life right now because it seems that Jo is settling herself. There is no discussion about this, there is no change. So far most of Alex's scenes were with his friends. I miss cute or emotional Jolex scenes but nothing we've gotten so far was any of that (except 11x06).. If they're gonna get married I want to see more Jolex again. I don't mind the Merlex but why do we have to watch him hang out with Callie and Maggie so much? Callie, Maggie and Mer are all alone right now and can have their girl talks and vent about their spouses but why is Alex in this? To me he doesn't fit in that group and I don't enjoy their scenes. I'm sorry but I don't. I'd rather see Alex/Arizona than Alex/Callie or Alex/Maggie. And I most definitely need more Jolex.

I agree with everything that yarens said btw. And I'm not sure about the NDE. Feels like we're not getting anything big for Alex this season.
Thanks! Yes, I agree, I'd rather see more Alex/Arizona than Alex/Maggie too. I don't really mind Alex/Callie since she's nice to both Jo and Alex and she's not invading their space. Herman is growing up in my eyes too. But Mer gotta take a break and give Jolex some privacy because what she does sucks. I wouldn't say Alex is jealous of Maggie. He was sarcastic. He knows Maggie is Mer's sister, he knows Mer is terrible with sisters and he might want to help Mer to get along better with her sis, but he's doing it in his own way by using sarcasm and irony.

Shonda promised a lot of Jolex this season, but there's almost none of it. Jo needs a background. We know very little about her and what we do know are terrible things: she was sexually assaulted (or abused), she was a street kid, abandoned by her mother when she was 2 weeks old, lived in her car for who knows how many years and she had 1 person who never took her in, but plays a role of the closest thing to a mother - Ms. Schmitt and she was in jail. It would be great to get a case of a patient who would relate to her past and she'd talk about it a bit. Or bring Ms. Schmitt. Or someone from one of her foster families.

I don't like the idea of giving Jolex a life-threatening drama. Jo has trust issues and she's insecure. She's afraid she'll lose Alex because everything good always has to end in a bad way - that's what life had thought her. I'd rather see their relationship to be stable and fine, without any life-threatening drama. First they need to give Jo a strong backstory and good background. And there are other ways to make Mer realize that Jo is not a hoodlum, but a very nice girl who deserves respect and can be a good friend. They don't need to bond because of Alex. Like I said before, Jo has some of Lexie's treats and she has some of Mer's and Cristina's too. Mer could be her mentor tbh. Even if Jo will chose ortho in the future, she can learn a lot from Mer.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:57 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I don't like the idea of giving Jolex a life-threatening drama. Jo has trust issues and she's insecure. She's afraid she'll lose Alex because everything good always has to end in a bad way - that's what life had thought her. I'd rather see their relationship to be stable and fine, without any life-threatening drama.
I agree. Life-threatening situations have been so overdone on Grey's that it just feels like a very cheap way to create drama at this point. I mean sure, eventually when Alex and Jo have worked through some of their issues they could do something like that. But if they do it now it just seems cheap.

Alex and Jo really have a lot of issues to work through first. There are so many open questions like Why the hell do they never say ILY? Or is that just something the writers don't care about? That would suck because every other couple says it too at least once in a while. Isn't it weird that those two are together for over a year and we never hear them say the words?

And then of course there's the hinted abuse. Another thing the writers just dropped and never brought up again. And what about Jo's jail comment? Her beating up several guys? Are those things nothing more than comic relief for the writers? IDK but I really hope some of those things get addessed finally.

Quote:
so I have to say that him actually coming up with the marriage topic now caught me by surprise since I haven't seen him too affectionate with Jo this season.
I felt the same. Given that Jolex as a couple were terribly neglected so far, that comment really came out of nowhere. It's odd. But I do hope it leads to a good storyline.

Quote:
I'd rather see Alex/Arizona than Alex/Callie or Alex/Maggie.
IDK but to me it feels like the friendships have generally been neglected in the past 1 1/2 seasons. They randomly made Arizona bond with April but we haven't exactly gotten many substantial scenes between those two. Alex/Arizona had some good scenes at beginning of the Herman story, but since she moved in there hasn't been much with them anymore. She's mostly interacting with Herman and Amelia now. Jackson/Alex have been abandoned a long time ago. My point is, there aren't many friendship scenes anymore and I fear if Alex isn't included in Meredith's new group of friends there would be even less Alex in the episodes, because the writers won't care to give him friendship scenes with others and right now they don't care to give Jolex a storyline either.

@yarens Shonda Rhimes should see your list. You really nailed what's wrong with Jolex at the moment. It's not just that they are neglected, but also that the little things they do get, don't even make sense half of the time. Like why is Jo naked? Why is Alex thinking about marriage all of a sudden when we haven't even seen him being a very affectionate boyfriend this season?
Old 02-21-2015, 01:14 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
There are so many open questions like Why the hell do they never say ILY? Or is that just something the writers don't care about? That would suck because every other couple says it too at least once in a while. Isn't it weird that those two are together for over a year and we never hear them say the words?
Alex said these words, it's Jo who didn't, but it's a part of her insecurities, I think.

Quote:
And then of course there's the hinted abuse. Another thing the writers just dropped and never brought up again. And what about Jo's jail comment? Her beating up several guys? Are those things nothing more than comic relief for the writers? IDK but I really hope some of those things get addessed finally.
I'm pretty sure her beating the guys up is connected to the sexual abuse. Maybe, just maybe, she was raped once and after that happened, she never ever let the guy take her against her will so those who tried got beaten up. I only don't know why she end up in jail and when. She's very smart and was the best in her school/class so... weird.

Quote:
IDK but to me it feels like the friendships have generally been neglected in the past 1 1/2 seasons.
Nah, I'd say they're neglected since s11 premiered, but Alex/Mer were neglected for a long time. It's like she finally remembered that he's her friend too, but she needed Cristina to get out of the picture to realize it. It's a shame, real shame and it feels like she's using Alex because he's the very last of her residents group that still is around. He's not very happy about it, but he also have no idea how to say "no" to her and set some boundaries which he and Jo really need so their own relationship won't suffer.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:17 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Ironically, The moment I heard Sandra was leaving the show I knew Meredith would latch on to Alex the way Cristina did with Meredith and Derek and boy was I right. I remember always being annoyed with Cristina everytime she would make or not make but Derek would leave the room and I'd be damn if Meredith isn't doing the same thing with Jo/Alex. Jo leaves the room and feels like she has too and I feel so bad for her that she feels like a third party in her own relationship and while I'm not a shipper of Jolex as a shipper that had a third character put in the middle of my ship that just pisses me off wheather I'm a shipper or not I gotta feel for Jo everytime Meredith places herself in the middle of Jo's own relationship. anyway that's just my opinion
Old 02-21-2015, 06:14 PM
Dedicated Fan

I know we are all annoyed, but its great to see this thread so active!!

While I'm glad that Jo and Alex are in a happy, healthy place, part of my frustration comes from the fact that so many issues should have been addressed by now. When they first kissed and Jo said that she always messes things up, I thought, yay they are going to have to work through their insecurities together. Nope, just straight to happy, functional bliss. For example, maybe Jo's (apparent) past sexual trauma could have been addressed before their first time, but it wasn't and now they have a very, VERY, healthy sex life. Alex's insecurities after Izzie should have been brought up at the beginning of their relationship, but no, he is all about declaring his love and getting hitched ASAP (like WHAT?). The time frame for a lot of this stuff has passed. I am afraid that by the time any of it gets mentioned (if it ever does), it is going to seem forced because they have been happy and healthy for so long. And yet, I also don't want to see them rushed into a marriage and baby. That is just lazy writing and shows that either the writers are out of ideas or don't know these characters at all.

And I have to give Alex a bit of a break. I have been disappointed in his approach to the Meredith situation, but I don't think that he has been mean, or neglectful or unloving. Just an oblivious guy who is trying to be a good friend. I don't like what he lets Mer get away with (especially the hoodlum remark), but Jo needs to be more assertive or Alex is going to remain clueless.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:29 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
While I'm glad that Jo and Alex are in a happy, healthy place, part of my frustration comes from the fact that so many issues should have been addressed by now. When they first kissed and Jo said that she always messes things up, I thought, yay they are going to have to work through their insecurities together. Nope, just straight to happy, functional bliss. For example, maybe Jo's (apparent) past sexual trauma could have been addressed before their first time, but it wasn't and now they have a very, VERY, healthy sex life. Alex's insecurities after Izzie should have been brought up at the beginning of their relationship, but no, he is all about declaring his love and getting hitched ASAP (like WHAT?). The time frame for a lot of this stuff has passed. I am afraid that by the time any of it gets mentioned (if it ever does), it is going to seem forced because they have been happy and healthy for so long.
Seeing this written down made me sad, because it is painfully accurate. So many issues between those two should have been adressed at this point. And had any other female character dropped a bombshell like possible sexual assault I'm sure it would have been turned into a deep and emotional storyline earlier. But I can't shake the feeling that the writers don't care about Jo as a character.
Of course the cast is very bloated and the writers try to give everybody a story, but it still bugs that Jolex comes last on their list. IMO addessing some of Alex and Jo's issues would be much more urgent than advancing Amelia and Owen's or Callie's love lives or showing us the Arizona/Herman story in every single episode. By no means do I begrudge Arizona her own storyline, but I think it would work just as well, if they paused it for one episode here and there, instead of pausing Alex and Jo's story for over half a season.

Quote:
And I have to give Alex a bit of a break. I have been disappointed in his approach to the Meredith situation, but I don't think that he has been mean, or neglectful or unloving.
You're probably right. The fact that Jo isn't overly mad at him for his obliviousness indicates that he's still a decent boyfriend nonetheless. I think she wouldn't be joking around with him in the OR or have lots of sex with him, if he was unloving or neglectful.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:21 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'msolost (View Post)
Seeing this written down made me sad, because it is painfully accurate. So many issues between those two should have been adressed at this point. And had any other female character dropped a bombshell like possible sexual assault I'm sure it would have been turned into a deep and emotional storyline earlier. But I can't shake the feeling that the writers don't care about Jo as a character.
Of course the cast is very bloated and the writers try to give everybody a story, but it still bugs that Jolex comes last on their list.
IMO addessing some of Alex and Jo's issues would be much more urgent than advancing Amelia and Owen's or Callie's love lives or showing us the Arizona/Herman story in every single episode. By no means do I begrudge Arizona her own storyline, but I think it would work just as well, if they paused it for one episode here and there, instead of pausing Alex and Jo's story for over half a season.
I wouldn't say they don't care about Jo as a character. More like they don't really care about Jolex relationship developement. Whenever we see her it's usually at the hospital. Not at home, not even with Alex. Camilla L. is very busy with ROTTR at the moment, she's voicing and mocapping a lot (the game is coming out this year) so her screen time on Grey's had to be cut, but I gotta agree that the writers could write her much better.

Quote:
You're probably right. The fact that Jo isn't overly mad at him for his obliviousness indicates that he's still a decent boyfriend nonetheless. I think she wouldn't be joking around with him in the OR or have lots of sex with him, if he was unloving or neglectful.
Well, they knew each other before they end up in bed together. He was there for her when she needed it It's like she said - he's good. People are horrible, but he's good.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:37 PM
Loyal Fan

welcome everyone who is new

That post of Spirit of the Radio is so true that it hurts. For most things it seems that they missed the right timing and I'm not sure if it won't be forced when they finally decide to bring them up again.

I personally am just incredibly sad that most of the scenes we get for Alex this season are with other people. It seems that his relationship doesn't matter that much at the moment but then they decide to throw in the marriage topic right now when they have still so much to deal with. I just want them to focus on Jolex already. I don't mind Alex being there for Meredith but the rest of his screentime shouldn't be with Callie or Maggie or other random people but with Jo. And I wanna see deep scenes again. Not just a kiss or a gaze or a smile, but actually something happening between them. Jo saying ILY or them talking about why she hasn't said it yet would be nice for example.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:02 PM
Dedicated Fan

Welcome shirona!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit of the Radio (View Post)
I know we are all annoyed, but its great to see this thread so active!!

While I'm glad that Jo and Alex are in a happy, healthy place, part of my frustration comes from the fact that so many issues should have been addressed by now. When they first kissed and Jo said that she always messes things up, I thought, yay they are going to have to work through their insecurities together. Nope, just straight to happy, functional bliss. For example, maybe Jo's (apparent) past sexual trauma could have been addressed before their first time, but it wasn't and now they have a very, VERY, healthy sex life. Alex's insecurities after Izzie should have been brought up at the beginning of their relationship, but no, he is all about declaring his love and getting hitched ASAP (like WHAT?). The time frame for a lot of this stuff has passed. I am afraid that by the time any of it gets mentioned (if it ever does), it is going to seem forced because they have been happy and healthy for so long. And yet, I also don't want to see them rushed into a marriage and baby. That is just lazy writing and shows that either the writers are out of ideas or don't know these characters at all.

And I have to give Alex a bit of a break. I have been disappointed in his approach to the Meredith situation, but I don't think that he has been mean, or neglectful or unloving. Just an oblivious guy who is trying to be a good friend. I don't like what he lets Mer get away with (especially the hoodlum remark), but Jo needs to be more assertive or Alex is going to remain clueless.
Ouch, seeing your post really made me sad. I don't even know what to say except that I agree? I'm just sad about the way the writers are neglecting Jolex. I thought 10B would have been a good time to focus on Jo more, or hell 11A but it still hasn't happened. I don't know what they are thinking. But I definitely think that ignoring a couple for so long is only doing them harm. I mean, do they never talk about all the important things that you guys mentioned here? (sexual abuse, Jo's anger issues, the tension between Jo and Meredith, Alex being oblivious) Couples that don't talk about their issues always end up breaking up at some point because it all blows up in their faces. And I can't quite tell if the reason why Jo doesn't complain is because she doesn't want to be that girl or because it doesn't bother her much and Alex isn't as unloving as he appears to be. I don't know but I need more affectionate scenes between them.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:17 PM
Loyal Fan

I'm so frustrated

When I read that Camilla would be busy with Tomb Raider again I was already worried that we wouldn't see much Jo but I didn't think we would see so little Jolex. Jo still hasn't had a big storyline and I mean we probably can't even complain because Stephanie even had less because she has no love interest. This just all comes back to the fact that the cast is bloated and Jolex don't seem to be a priority. But even if a couple is not a priority - why don't they give them anything? I'm actually kind of pissy towards Alex. I don't think he should be that oblivious. Clearly Mer has a problem with Jo and he doesn't even ask her about it. Right now I don't even wanna defend him tbh. Not until I see what really is the matter with his behaviour.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:44 PM
Dedicated Fan

it's definitely easier for me to be annoyed with Alex this season too. Mostly because he doesn't come across as very caring when it comes to Jo. I'm still waiting for this Mer/Jo thing to be solved so we can all move on. I hope it won't last for much longer.

On another note: did you see Camilla's selfie where she was wearing quite heavy make up and said that she would ask the make up girl for the name of the lipstick they used on her? Seems that Jo will be all dolled up for something but I have no clue why. I kinda hope it's not their wedding or anything because I generally like the simple bridal looks better (like Arizona for example) and Jo's make up was quite heavy imo.

The more I think about it, the less I want them to get married yet. They have so much stuff they should deal with first.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:13 PM
Loyal Fan

You mean this one right? Yes I think an event is coming up. But Jo never ever had so much make up on, not at any of the weddings, not at the gala, I wonder what it is? Anyone have any guesses?

Last edited by jokarev; 02-22-2015 at 07:19 PM
Old 02-22-2015, 08:13 PM
Master Fan

Well, Alex DID say he was going to marry her. Maybe they decide to get married on a whim.

Just to show how nothing in the AU is happening how it was supposed to. Crowen are over. Japril's baby died. Jolex get married now instead of after she passes her boards (Jo's like a third year resident now, I guess? Though I don't think a full year has passed since the beginning of season ten, to be honest, so she may still be a second year).

Although I don't want them to get married on a whim, because that's Izzex all over again and Japril got married on a whim. Come to think of it, most characters get married unexpectedly. MerDer planned to get married in season 5, but then unexpectedly got married on a post-it, then randomly got legally married in season 8. Calzona planned their wedding. Benley planned their wedding. April and Matthew planned theirs, but then that didn't happen. Crowen rushed into marriage after the shooting. So Calzona and Benley are the only couples to have "normal" weddings per se. Aside from the fact Arizona and Callie got engaged and then the car crashed (so poetic, when you look at them now...). Benley had the most normal proposal and wedding, then.

They're the only unmarried couple besides Owen and Amelia, and I don't see either of them jumping into marriage any time soon.

All in the same, it's going to feel rushed if Jolex do get married, since we've barely had any scenes besides sex scenes and Jo being 'jealous' of Meredith, so I don't know. Meredith has been in every wedding thus far, so if Jo/Alex do get married, I'm sure they will work her in as Alex's best man again. Though I'm not sure who would be Jo's bridesmaids? She has Stephanie...then again, I could see her asking Meredith to be a bridesmaid and Alex asking someone else (Jackson?) to be his best man. Izzie had tons of friends, so finding bridesmaids wasn't a struggle at all.