Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2015, 02:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanforever (View Post)
Really??
no texts message and what'sap is what I would use
Old 07-14-2015, 04:42 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by begonia (View Post)
Yeah, I don't think SR's boredom with the old cast is the reason for Alex's underutilization .

I don't like when my favorite character doesn't get much, but between that and making the character OOC, I prefer the first. They soften Alex a lot this season, but I feel Mer was even more OOC than Alex. Also, Alex got crap too: loosing the board seat, being fired from the PP.

Neglected as he was as a character over the seasons, I love Alex's journey: from failing the intern exam through Hopkins creating a new fellowship especially for him(by impressing COS at the boards) - I absolutely loved that part, to the attending he is now. I like that Alex went into pediatric surgery, because Alex and the babies/kids are just priceless .
The guy who had little money - the intern salary was pretty small and even in these condition he was sending money home to his family, to the guy he bought a house in a good neighborhood in Seattle. I'd say he did pretty good for himself.

I just hope they won't ruin his development in the next seasons.
I don't want Alex to backtrack either, but I sure would like him to get his edge back. I don't think he was unrecognizable this past season, but his friend-zoning made him a little too nice, a little too passive and even kind of bland for me. I don't want him to revert back to complete jerk mode, but I want him to get his snark back and his low tolerance for hypocrisy and foolishness. With Cristina gone, he doesn't have that foil to snark and compete with and I really, really miss that.

My fear is that now that Derek is gone, they are going to write him as "nice" or "dreamy" in some way, and I have little interest in that. IMO, Alex has always stood apart from the other men of Greys. Derek, George, Jackson, Owen and even Mark, were all basically nice, well-meaning and upstanding guys, with various issues here and there. Alex wasn't. Sure he had huge heart and was loyal to a fault, but he wasn't nice. He was prickly, arrogant, frustrating and even cruel sometimes. And that's what made him such a great character and what made him unique to Greys. And it's a testament to JC's acting that I loved him even when I hated his actions. I loved the fact that despite his growing maturity, the writers weren't afraid to show Alex's uglier side now and then (him yelling at Izzie about her surgery, or more recently his blackmail and threats to Jason and his jerkiness regarding Jo and his father.)

He has matured and let his defenses down, and has had the most natural development on the show. But I want his edge back, I don't want him to become the new nice guy or heroic semi-leading man. I want he and Jo to have problems and I want him to act badly again sometimes. Not passively bad like this season when he didn't stick up for Jo, but snarky and crappy and frustrating because he is scared or insecure. And I want for Jo to fight back and for her to let her substantial issues to color her actions as well sometimes. They are dysfunctional and flawed, more so than most, and I want to see that onscreen. So it may be an unpopular opinion, but I want some of that Evil Spawn back, not some bland, generic nice guy. The last two episodes of s11 were better, so hopefully the writers will continue to write Alex as the flawed and complex, but wonderfully interesting guy that we love and root for even when we are cursing him out!

Last edited by Spirit of the Radio; 07-14-2015 at 05:12 PM
Old 07-15-2015, 11:27 AM
Loyal Fan

Can I just completely agree with everything that Spirit Of The Radio said? The reason I became such a huge Alex fan wasn't because he was this sweet, nice, boring guy that they made him in S11. I loved him because he was so different from the other guys on thw show. He lost all his edge last season and he was mainly used to prop other characters and I've never hated a season more.

I also don't like his friendships anymore. I don't like that he's closer with Callie than Arizona all of a sudden, I don't like Maggie, and Meredith hasn't been a good friend to him all season. Like several people pointed out here already, those friendship scenes were incredibly one-sided. The only ones I like to see more are Arizona snd Jackson tbh. Meredith only if she shows that she cares about him too which I know she does, but for some reason she did a crappy job in showing so last season.

In fact I wouldn't mind less friendship scenes. He basically didn't do anything besides being a friend last season and I think it's time he focuses on his own life some more. In those 2 years that s11 captured I have no clue what Alex had going on in his life. He had nothing going on career-wise, we have almost no idea what he and Jo did and why they didn't get married when he wanted to. I don't know whether or not he still has money problems and what happened to the shares that are worth $15 million!

The Jolex fan inside me wants a storyline for them as a couple desperately where Alex can show that he is just as supportive of Jo as she is of him and where we get emotional, passionate Alex back. He was so passive last season it frustrated me to no ends.
Also I want for him to do something great as a surgeon already, we saw zero of that last season. And I wouldn't mind more Ben/Jackson/Alex scenes, I've had it up here with him and his lady friends who complain to him about their sex lives all the time, sorry.

All in all I want Evil Spawn back. If the writers indeed want to make him the new nice guy of the show I'm not here for that. I want him to act like the Alex I know and love again. I loved his character development so so much but I can only count it till s10. In s11 I had a hard time understanding why he acted the way he acted suddenly and I think the main reason for that was that there wasn't a smooth transition from s10 Alex to s11 Alex but that he started acting different from one day to the next.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

He can still be a good guy but still have some edge. They've made him a bit boring. I'd also love for his friendship with Jackson to return! They completely dropped that.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:42 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maité (View Post)
He can still be a good guy but still have some edge. They've made him a bit boring. I'd also love for his friendship with Jackson to return! They completely dropped that.
Yeah Alex needs more guy friends.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:01 AM
Addicted Fan

Old 07-16-2015, 10:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

He looks so good in that pic.

Icon: Nikki
Old 07-16-2015, 11:00 AM
Loyal Fan

really relaxed...
Old 07-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalaBridget (View Post)
Yeah Alex needs more guy friends.
Sometimes I wish that Jolex, Japril and Arizona could get their own spin off show and work at another hospital because they are soo underused and underrated characters.

They have spent sooo much time to shove Amelia and Maggie into our faces last season. Anyone who is not related or very close to Mer lives in the shadows. They have no sense for balance anymore and the cast only gets bigger.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

nice pic
Old 07-18-2015, 05:36 PM
Part-Time Fan

I could see some of Alex's niceness based on the fact that he was happy - after the whole board/firing for PP/rehiring at GSMH (I don't think he should have forgot so easy about that, but this is how it was shown), his romantic relationship was in a good place and usually people are nicer when they are happy. Maybe another small part due to the maturity. But the most part was simply bad writing; they could have kept him within the character even with the friends scenes. In S11 other characters were changed: Mer was cold and self centered (some scenes were OOC for her: the one with Bailey at the chapel), Bailey completely changed. Considering the options, I prefer they kept him on the nice side of things. They still have Jackson, Owen and the new guy that will join on S12, plus the new intern guy that joined at the end of S11 for the nice and dreamy role, so they don't have to completely transform Alex.

My biggest complain in S11 is the lack of Alex's career development - the fact that he was rehired at GSMH and he made the Head of Peds job for a little while without official recognition wasn't enough for me. It doesn't compensate at all the fact that he was fired from the PP ( (.

His friendship with Callie is an interesting one, in the sense that even we didn't see much onscreen, in S2 it's shown that they were talking more personal stuff: Alex new about Callie's one night stand with Mark and told George at the guys camping/fishing trip in the woods, he is also shown to know form Callie that George told Callie to move out from the house. So, they might have been some sort of friends. I like his scenes with Callie in general, Callie feeding him whatever in the tunnels was a nice scene.

Quote:
I don't know whether or not he still has money problems and what happened to the shares that are worth $15 million!
I could be missing something, but when/what kind of money problems did he have? He wasn't a reach guy by any means, but I had the feeling he was at least just getting by financially. He should still be the owner of the shares that worth $15 millions; I guess we would see onscreen if he wouldn't be (like they did with the board seat ).

Justin, looking great as always !
Old 07-19-2015, 03:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

He had student loans and he helps his family and IDK if in the divorce he had to pay for some of Izzie's medical expenses, but later he was able to buy Mer's house so I think as a fellow/attending he was doing well. But still it sucks to lose 5 million dollars!
Old 07-20-2015, 01:36 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I could be missing something, but when/what kind of money problems did he have?
I was talking about 10x18 where Jo found his student loan payment papers he just completely ignored. It was the reason why he considered Private Practice. And then actually Lebackes was speaking of him buying himself into the practice (how much was that again? I forgot about the exact amount he was supposed to pay there, was it $25k?) which probably happened since he joined the private practice, right? Then he bought a new car. I don't think he was working long enough at the practice to have paid off any of that immediately. He should at least still have the student loans. But then Alex got fired, lost the board seat and the money issue never came up again. Neither did Cristina's shares of course since we're talking about Alex here.

Yes I agree that other characters were ooc too but the problem with Alex was that he too nice to his friends (and the people who didn't vote for him) and kind of an ass to Jo and even sometimes Arizona. And I was at a total loss as to why he was acting that way suddenly. I don't know but what I liked about Alex was that he was always someone who knew who was wrong and who always called out the one person who was at fault in a certain situation. In season 10 he told Cristina off when she did something wrong but did the exact same with Meredith. He didn't take anyone's side. And in s11 he just let Mer say and do whatever she wanted and that's just not him. I just need old Alex back.

And I've always liked his scenes with Callie too but I think I liked their dynamic the way it was. Not too close but more in an occasional teasing or friendly kind of way since he was always closer with Arizona .That's just my personal preference though, his friendship with Callie was at least not frustrating to watch. I just prefer Alex/Arizona and I'd rather have more of that.

Last edited by xsweetgirlx91; 07-20-2015 at 01:42 PM
Old 07-21-2015, 08:41 PM
Addicted Fan

Old 07-22-2015, 02:52 AM
Master Fan

Justin is really active on twitter!!i'ts rare.. love his pics!!

09/11/01=NEVER FORGET RIP PAUL WALKER- CORY AND NAYA
Elodie"Aujourd'hui il va pleuvoir,mais demain le soleil brillera..."