Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Charmed
Patrick Dempsey

11.14: The Distance

11.14: The Distance
Original Air Date:MARCH 5, 2015

Episode Description:
In this Amelia-centric episode, Amelia engages in the surgery of a lifetime as a crowd of doctors look on from the gallery. With Stephanie by her side, she begins operating on Dr. Herman, but quickly realizes it's far more difficult than she anticipated. Meanwhile, Bailey becomes skeptical when Arizona takes on one of Herman’s cases.

Promo:

Sneak peeks:

Reminders:
This is a general episode discussion thread so everyone is welcome to post in it.

We would just like to request that we respect each other's opinions and ships and
keep criticisms constructive. Thank you.

Grey's Anatomy Board Rules:
~ For the same reason, we are requesting everyone to please do not discuss 'opposing fanbases' in the threads, whether they're in or elsewhere. We all love the show so let us keep our discussions to the show and its characters.

~ Criticisms about the show and its characters are welcome in the threads as long as they're kept constructive. No character-bashing, please, especially in the episode threads. Constructive criticisms are different from bashing. We should learn to distinguish between the two. Be mindful of other posters who may like the character we're talking about. Let's keep in mind that we may have a right to post our thoughts but other people do too. If we want people to respect our opinions, let us learn to respect others too.

~ Do not call a ship and/or character by a negative association label. Since season two and on these words have been used in a character/ship bashing manner: MurDer, Bobble Head(Denny), Gizzard, Gizziegate, Grizzie, Izzme, Callous, and etc. These names are considered to be character and/or ship bashing which is something we do not tolerate on this board. So from now call the ships and/or characters by their names, and not names give to them by negative association.

~ No actor or writer-bashing, please. This is a rule. We are all welcome to criticize the characters and the stories but making negative personal comments about the actors, the creator or the writers are unacceptable. Unless we know these people personally, we have no right to talk negatively about their personal lives, even in a speculative way. Let's keep our comments to the fiction part of the show, shall we?

~ Shipper wars are also not allowed at or at this site. We believe there is no competition between the ships each show so there's no need to bash each other's ships. We like that people are so passionate about their ships and we appreciate the time and effort that you spend posting about them. We'd like to keep it that way.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask Jaje, Wala, or Mai.

derek shepherd | charmed | borrowed heaven | 💚 đ“łđ’¶đ’żđ‘’
Old 03-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Part-Time Fan

Happy Grey's Day
Old 03-05-2015, 12:13 PM
Master Fan

tftnt Happy Greys Day
Old 03-06-2015, 08:08 AM
Extreme Fan

I loved the episode. It's amazing that Amelia got the whole tumor, I was rooting for that! But I can't believe Herman lost her sight. I did not see that coming! That's so sad

IG | Tumblr
Old 03-06-2015, 09:58 AM
Master Fan

I think they need to slow down a bit on these centric episodes and learn to balance out the airtime the characters receive.

Because last night was Amelia's centric episode, but the episode before she had quite a lot of airtime. The promo has made it seem as if the third episode is also quite heavily focused on her.

I think if people are watching for other things, they are going to start getting frustrated again. At the beginning when Maggie was overwhelmingly showcased, people resented her and now that her airtime dwindled people are appreciating her more. I foresee this happening to Amelia if they don't relax with her airtime.

A lot of plots don't have closure. Meredith and Derek have been doing nothing all season. We don't even know much about Meredith's perspective and she isn't the one whose story is off-screen, Derek's is. What is more bizzare about it is that she is the lead character so we are meant to have some insight into her storyline.

April just lost her baby and there was actually no real follow up as to how she is feeling or how they are doing as a couple, so the story feels somewhat incomplete.

I mean Alex and Jo are far from my cup of tea but they have literally been doing nothing all season. Shouldn't they spread the storytelling? Why does Amelia's storyline need a follow up episode but April's did not? April lost her child. Herman was no close friend of Amelia's and she is a professional. She is meant to know that sometimes you win some and sometimes you lose some.

These are things that kind of prevent me from being a real fan of Amelia's character.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:16 AM
Master Fan

My problem isn't with Amelia. I love Caterina, she's gorgeous and a fabulous actress and I'm glad she's getting a storyline. My problem is, however, with Dr. Herman/Geena Davis' character. Like you said, posterity, there are so many incomplete storylines, Meredith and Derek's has been going on since last season. There's really been no follow up on how April and Jackson are doing aside from the brief scene with Mama Avery in 11x12.

It's annoying how a guest star (Dr. Herman) who only first appeared in 11x1 has been getting more focus than regulars whose storylines are incomplete.

I'm hoping what one of the writers tweeted last night about it just being a Dr. Herman detour and then everything will start to fall back into place next episode.

I love Amelia, I have no problem with her having centric episodes, I just felt like this storyline wasn't constructed very well, and it was like Geena Davis had it on her bucket list to appear on Grey's Anatomy, so Shonda made it happen.

Although I do like how it turned out, in a way. It's the best outcome that could happen to give Amelia a successful surgery, while also preventing Dr. Herman from ever operating again therefore kicking her off the show (though it wouldn't surprise me if she has a guest appearance at one point or another because Arizona will want to keep in touch ). I guess Dr. Herman's only true purpose was to give Arizona a storyline, the problem being Arizona has connections to no one else in the cast except Callie and Alex. Arizona is one of my least favorite characters, therefore I couldn't bring myself to care about Dr. Herman.

I'm happy for Amelia, I am, but I would rather her have a storyline connected to Meredith and Alex than Arizona and Stephanie, who are very much irrelevant in my book and not even Amelia can make them interesting for me. I absolutely loved when Meredith and Amelia were in the OR together. More of that, please! I also would love more Amelia/Meredith/Maggie scenes. Maggie/Amelia were one of the only good parts of 11x2, and the scene with Mer/Maggie/Amelia/Bailey in 11x10 was pure gold.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

Soo glad this storyline is over, there's been too much Amelia, Herman and Arizona. [I hope the promo is misleading and is not another episode with heavy Amelia] I always hate how they shove new characters with so much screentime, it turn me off even more. Come on.. others need something too. There has been nothing really for Meredith [other being used as comic relief] or Alex. I was hoping Meredith will get a good medical arc, instead she's always the one who's supporting and nothing happens for HER professionally. I get no Derek with Patrick's time off.. but I do hope MerDer will get some well deserved focus when he's back. Their storyline has been stuck for so long. Only 9 episodes left this season, it feels too little time and so much time wasted on centric episodes.

Icon: Nikki
Old 03-06-2015, 12:16 PM
Master Fan

The show doesn't really know how to balance a large cast anymore. All these centric eps take away from stories and disrupt the flow.

Arizona and Amelia are two of my faves so I'm happy they got screentime. Arizona will probably fade to the background again for the rest of the season now the Herman story is over so people will be happy. Jessica deserved it. She's been nothing but an extension of Callie the past six years (amputation story pretty much ended up being all about Callie, too). I'm sure MerDer and Japril stories will pick up some more now. It's not Shonda's fault Sarah had to go on maternity leave earlier than expected and Patrick wants time for his racing so is missing all these episodes. Agreed about Jolex. They need some kind of shaking up. Even as a Calzona fan, it kind of baffles me they still get more scenes broken up than Jolex do together. Alex has always been the most neglected of all the originals imo. Thought with Cristina gone, he would have more but that hasn't really been the case.

I enjoyed the ep. Glad Amelia was able to finish it and not have superhero Derek save the day. Why is Owen still chief? He's awful. I just really don't enjoy his character. Webber will always be chief to me.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow I'm probably one of few who was actually impressed with this storyline.

I know I don't post here on the board but that's because I never have anything positive to say and really haven't since Izzie left.

However, I have loved Gina Davis' storyline since they first brought her on to the show. And Amelia is easily my favorite doctor now.

Everything about last night's episode was incredible from the voice overs to Amelia freaking out to the music to that ending.

Amelia was truly a superhero even if she didn't get her full win in that Herman was left blind but the fact that she rose above Derek's shadow was by far one of the most impressive things I've ever seen on this show.

OMFG that ending- so didn't see that coming, literally and figuratively. I'm bummed that Gina's story has pretty much come to a close. I really liked her and will miss her at this point.
Emma♄Neal
Old 03-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Master Fan

I have not really enjoyed the last few episodes. I am just frustrated and enraged with how things had been handled. The centric episodes absolutely disrupt the flow of the show, like most of you I dont really get why we needed 14 episodes dancing around that tumor to end with two centric epis of that too. I agree the ST Amelia is getting is too much for my taste. I had always hate that Grey's does that with the new characters so that I always end up hating on those characters. Shoving them down my throat absolutely dont make me love them more. good for her to get off Derek's shadow but I dont see why she needs to diss him to prove that she is just as capable. TBH and as someone who works in healthcare, this superhero thing and speech might be one of the more irresponsible I had ever heard in Grey's. I always give them a bit of creative license as this is a tv show, but some things are so unbelievable and so wrong that I cant really shut it off and enjoy it.

As per Herman losing her sight, honestly that was the outcome expected. Indeed if she didnt, then THAT is what it would be no believable from a medical standpoint, so in this case I welcome the fact they went with reality.

I hope that now that this detour seem to end, we can go back to the others storylines. I might not like all the characters but focusing in one I dont really care, who's follow up I dont need, it's even worse. We absolutely needs to know what's happening with Meredith (and MerDer), Japril, Jolex...is like with this centric the life of everybody in on pause...which is stupid and only show bad balance or poor writing.

Icon by Jaje
Old 03-07-2015, 07:08 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortyK125 (View Post)
The show doesn't really know how to balance a large cast anymore. All these centric eps take away from stories and disrupt the flow.

Arizona and Amelia are two of my faves so I'm happy they got screentime. Arizona will probably fade to the background again for the rest of the season now the Herman story is over so people will be happy. Jessica deserved it. She's been nothing but an extension of Callie the past six years (amputation story pretty much ended up being all about Callie, too). I'm sure MerDer and Japril stories will pick up some more now. It's not Shonda's fault Sarah had to go on maternity leave earlier than expected and Patrick wants time for his racing so is missing all these episodes. Agreed about Jolex. They need some kind of shaking up. Even as a Calzona fan, it kind of baffles me they still get more scenes broken up than Jolex do together. Alex has always been the most neglected of all the originals imo. Thought with Cristina gone, he would have more but that hasn't really been the case.

I enjoyed the ep. Glad Amelia was able to finish it and not have superhero Derek save the day. Why is Owen still chief? He's awful. I just really don't enjoy his character. Webber will always be chief to me.
Agree 100‰.

for ME s11 is still one of the best seasons ! s10 was all crap and a totally waste of time !

Clearly it might be frustrating fot the MerDer, jolex and japril fans ( i totally get his!) BUT don't forget we already had Meredith centric eps ( what about “Only Mama know“? ) and we loved it , right !? And i'm sure they will pick up with the Japril SL ... now, where Sarah is “ back on Board “.

Last edited by Sunny1183; 03-07-2015 at 07:26 AM
Old 03-07-2015, 04:46 PM
Addicted Fan

Episode electrifying!

I loved the Herman have survived because it is a very rich character who came magnify Arizona. She apparently will be more complete and secure professionally. They fled the miraculous event leaving an important sequel in the patient, which was a realistic decision.

Webber is always good counselor. Really nothing could guarantee that Derek would do better or would a bad day like that which preceded their isolation in the bush. Meredith also showed her friend-minted side.

Edwards reminded me Lexie of diaper , is at the stage of wanting to prove something. Like all current attendants done in the past.

April still sad but it is natural, I think they will make her get pregnant until the finale.

Bailey with Arizona seemed Callie with Amelia, fortunately they were unfazed. What refers to the discourse of Amelia at the beginning of the episode.

Finally a light for Calzona. Does Callie is starting to grow?
Old 03-07-2015, 05:53 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortyK125 (View Post)

You are 100% right.But it's a big problem ever since season 4.
Webber and Bailey should've been long gone and forgotten and April should've never become a character (so is Sloan tbh) to start with.
Derek absence is like the best thing that happened to show in years.He and Mer are so boring nowadays and he is just not all that anymore...
Old 03-07-2015, 11:15 PM
Master Fan

ERussia comes into the thread as obnoxious as ever. The funny thing is, I used to be just like you. I'd take a swipe at things I disliked so that I could incite people who happened to enjoy those things.

FYI, the people who happen to enjoy the things you pointlessly mock have something to look forward to. On the other hand, you ship AU couples and storylines that haven't got a snowball's chance in hell of ever happening.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Dr. Herman is going to be devastated if she can't see

I haven't enjoyed April and jackson lately. April is too self-righteous and a bible thumper. I find it difficult to sympathize with her character because of this. That said, I still like April as a character.

I miss George

I have not seen this episode yet
avi: NOLA504