Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2015, 02:56 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by posterity (View Post)
I agree that the kiss was a bit forced in the sense that there was no real build up to their attraction. I wish this show wasn't so lazy about relationships these days. I can always envision a better way the story can come out if they put a little more effort.

It was a nice kiss as a stand alone, but I thought where they were last episode and this episode was a radical difference. Hopefully they don't get together anytime soon and the audience witnesses the build up and tension to be able to understand why they kissed.
^THIS and it's why i think i'm not feeling them yet.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:50 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addison Forbes Montgomery (View Post)
When I say I was forced, for my taste, I mean that there was not the necessary chemistry. Merder always had chemistry from the beginning and casual sex was totally within the context of the situation and personality of the characters at the time of the show.

I cheer for Owen and Amelia, because I believe that Owen lost much of its essence nullifying yourself by Cristina, but I think they can improve. The kiss did not seem natural to me, it was more like something automatic to signal that the writers can unite them if wish.
It seemed natural to me but to each their own. I also notice the media outlets are already loving them so most likely they're a go.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:01 PM
Master Fan

Amelia and Owen feel more natural to me than Cristina and Owen ever did. Feels more genuine.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:10 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkxtwisty (View Post)
Amelia and Owen feel more natural to me than Cristina and Owen ever did. Feels more genuine.
^ This. Though I was never one to root for abusive relationships.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:16 PM
Master Fan

Cristina was very abusive of Owen. Amelia will treat him better.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:21 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Cristina was very abusive of Owen. Amelia will treat him better.
I honestly think they were equally abusive towards either other, and really Owen shouldn't have never been in a relationship in S5 when he was going through his PSTD the whole choking Cristina, throwing her down was the the biggest red flag but I think the moment she aborted his child was the moment I knew even if Shonda kept throwing Crowen back together that they just won't fit. Owen would have to give up his dreams of being a dad or Cristina would have a child and end up resenting not only Owen but their child as well. They were just a bad match all together which is sad because Sandra and Kevin had great chemistry. I just could never root for them from the start.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:41 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSam4Life (View Post)
It seemed natural to me but to each their own.
Yeah, that's right. I'm curious to see how this will unfold.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:48 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
100% this
I'm in love and always will be
Old 02-21-2015, 07:10 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Most of it feels realistic, too -- sans the part of Meredith crashing at Alex's and her kids are nowhere to be seen/heard from.
Yes, MerDer feels somehow realistic. What didn't really felt realistic to me is how Derek left for DC: one day he refused the job in DC, in the evening MerDer had another fight, then he accepted the job and left the same night. A 40 something years old world class neurosurgeon, a dad of 2 kids just to pack up and leave on the same night looked kind of unrealistic to me. A notice of leaving to his current employer, a few days to prepare the kids for the fact that dad will no longer be living with them would have been better. I didn't need to see all this on screen, maybe a simple fact that there were a few days between when he accepted the job and when he left.
I personally am fine with not seeing the kids too much - Meredith's mention that there is daycare, night care, whatever...etc works for me(and it will work for seasons to come ), I don't need an explanation for every scene when the kids are not included. But it would be nice to see the kids are taken into consideration in the SLs.

Mer having some "me time" was really realistic, but again, as a parent to not tell the babysitter where she was for 3 days, not so much - what if there was any kind of emergency? Maggie doesn't seem to judge people, so I think Maggie would have still took care of the kids if Meredith would have been honest to her.

I kinda of lost interest in the Herman SL. Now, people know about her tumor, but they (mainly Hunt as her boss) didn't discuss her ability to safely operate on her patients - it would seem appropriate.

Owen and Amelia looked nice on screen together, but somehow I'm not really buying Owen's emotional availability right now; a few episodes ago he didn't seem to completely be over Cristina yet. I didn't watch Private Practice, so I can't speak about Amelia.

I liked the transgender story this episode and Bailey and Ben made sense to me. I loved the Merlex's last scene and Alex's funny comments: about Arizona being handsy the previous year in the Alex/Arizona/Herman scene and "Where's Pierce? What is she? Morning shift? And I get nights?" with Mer.
Jo kicking out Arizona from the shower: yes, it is sort of her house, but still... this wasn't nice.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:46 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addison Forbes Montgomery (View Post)
When I say I was forced, for my taste, I mean that there was not the necessary chemistry. Merder always had chemistry from the beginning and casual sex was totally within the context of the situation and personality of the characters at the time of the show.

I cheer for Owen and Amelia, because I believe that Owen lost much of its essence nullifying yourself by Cristina, but I think they can improve. The kiss did not seem natural to me, it was more like something automatic to signal that the writers can unite them if wish.
Yeah though I don't think that's necessarily because they lack chemistry. I think the issue is they feel obvious from the get go. It's hard to really get to know their chemistry or to see how it could be without the aiding of the obvious script.

That's why I think they need to back track and just have them interact more naturally so the audience is alerted to them potentially happening, but it isn't so obvious that they are pairing up to single cast members. I do think we needed a build up to seeing romantic tension or chemistry between them. We missed it.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:13 AM
Addicted Fan

I agree. I also find that they can evolve and the chemistry that, for me, there was not in that scene appear in future. Something less automatic than:

"- I'll kiss you now.
- Okay, now I'm going home."
Old 02-22-2015, 09:06 AM
Master Fan

Okay, you can't say there wasn't a build up of tension. Sure, they weren't BFFs for 2 seasons like Japril, or a season like Jo and Alex. Heck, Meredith and Derek randomly had their first kiss in the second episode of the season. Of course the cast was much smaller back then, and they're the main couple, which allowed them to have more scenes in such a short amount of time. In an ideal universe, we would have been able to see Owen and Amelia working together more frequently/sharing long glances, etc. The cast is massive now so it's hard to give them the screen time to tell a high quality story. However, given the screen time they've been given, I think it's a decent start and the build up they've was enough. Personally, I think the kiss couldn't have had better timing.

I also thought it was sweet that he told her that he was going to kiss her first, instead of just doing it. The kiss was much slower, much tenderer than any of his kisses with Cristina. It shows how different Owen and Amelia are from Owen and Cristina, and other relationships on the show. I don't think Owen actually expected her to show up at his trailer. He was also taken aback when she asked him if he dated co-workers. I don't know if he thought of her 'that way' before she showed up at his trailer, although he did ask her to lunch the episode before. Maybe he was just seeking friendship, though Callie was pushing him to go out and date, so I think he definitely saw something in Amelia that he found attractive when he first started initiating conversation with her.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:24 AM
Master Fan

I don't think that Jo and Alex had any decent build up. It's not like they were friends before they got together. A lot of people don't get Jolex as a pairing, and it's been two seasons. A lot of people just accept that's the best Alex is going to get and don't really pay a lot of attention to them. The writers certainly pay them no attention.

I think that's the type of thing that should not happen with Owen and Amelia. Giving them fabricated scenes that doesn't flow with their storyline will feel forced. Then people will begin to wonder if they were only paired up because they were both single or if there is a real reason for them to be drawn to each other.

That's why I said they should slow it down a bit and regain the build up they failed to give them, so the audience can understand the source of the kiss. Right now it isn't apparent because it could have been the writers were testing chemistry and threw it in there to see the audience's reaction. As you said, in an ideal script, they would be sharing more scenes together and there would be a flow to their attraction. Perhaps given the cast size it's unrealistic to expect but prior to that episode, he had been sharing scenes with Callie. Those scenes could have been spread out more to include Amelia.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:51 AM
Dedicated Fan

I really enjoyed all of the humor in this episode. I loved Alex teasing Arizona and the kick that Herman got out of it. I also thought that actors who played the boyfriend/girlfriend were both really good.

I am still not really feeling Maggie's addition to the show, but I don't hate her.

Quote:
It's not like they were friends before they got together.
Except for the majority of season 9 when they hung out as friends all the time and then grew closer and developed stronger feelings. We all get different things out of the show, I guess, but I definitely saw a build up.

Quote:
A lot of people don't get Jolex as a pairing, and it's been two seasons. A lot of people just accept that's the best Alex is going to get and don't really pay a lot of attention to them.
Do you have any facts to back this up? Or is it just what you have decided based on the fact that you dont like them and based on the sites you visit and what you have seen from the minority of viewers who discuss such things online?

Last edited by Spirit of the Radio; 02-22-2015 at 10:57 AM
Old 02-22-2015, 11:17 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit of the Radio (View Post)
Except for the majority of season 9 when they hung out as friends all the time and then grew closer and developed stronger feelings. We all get different things out of the show, I guess, but I definitely saw a build up.
I saw it as being manufactured from the onset. Jo was in a somewhat adversarial role opposite Alex to show the audience they had sparks. Unfortunately that isn't how it came across on my screen (and probably not even to the writers), so they established another disjoint storyline with Jason that they still haven't explained (the fact that she nearly killed him). Imo this was so the audience could feel compelled to root for Alex and Jo as a pairing, at an accelerated rate, since they wanted to establish them quickly as a pairing.

It was rushed up towards the end and obvious. Not that I blame the writers. A lot of people (myself included), wanted Alex to be happy after Izzie left and he had a string of bizzare romantic side-plots. Unfortunately the way this one came across fizzled Alex as a character and sealed his fate as a background ornament. He never has anything to do anymore.

Quote:
Do you have any facts to back this up? Or is it just what you have decided based on the fact that you dont like them and based on the sites you visit and what you have seen from the minority of viewers who discuss such things online?
It's not a big deal. But as you have pointed out, they are not well liked on a majority of fan-sites. While it does represent a minority, since the writers frequent twitter and other sites to check fan reaction, it does not paint a nice picture for them as to fan response over Jolex.

It wasn't even meant to incite the upset shippers who are already properly unhappy with their background role this season. I was simply pointing out what I wouldn't want to see happen with Owen and Amelia. The kiss they had last episode was nice as a stand alone, as I stated, but it didn't have any lead from where they were at in the previous episodes.

Last edited by posterity; 02-22-2015 at 11:25 AM