Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2014, 08:36 PM
Master Fan

Maggie shouldn't have brought up Ellis. That's always a touchy subject with Mer. That right there put her in the dog house.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that. She doesn't know Mer's issues with her though. Anyway, Maggie should be thankful she had a better mother.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:57 PM
Master Fan

Yeah. Mer takes things personally. It's a character flaw. Not Maggie's fault, but still not a wise first topic to bring up. She's clearly a little socially awkward. She was trying to have a conversation with Mer when they were at the helicopter which is mostly why the gurney rolled off.

Maggie isn't as bad as Kelly McCreary tried to make her sound. She's definitely distracted by the fact Mer is her sister. I don't blame her for being curious but still. Being the Mer fan I am, I'm in her corner.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:05 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maité (View Post)
I love Mer a lot but from an objective view she wasn't as right this time. Maggie may have been a bit agressive but so has Mer in the past.
I think, medically speaking, the situation is a lot more complex than "right" and "wrong" ... with internal injuries the surgeons prioritize the best they are able to but it's very difficult to know what to handle first, second, etc. Maggie having her ego bruised because a decision was made to consider the kidney first was VERY unprofessional -- the way she entered the OR was way out of line. A patient's on the table and she going to play the "I told you so!" game? The situation could have gone either way - Maggie should be smart enough to not pigeon-hole it and make it all about her and her ego. I mean, seriously ... a patient's on the table! Owen made the call to go with Meredith's plan as well - that's how not clear-cut it was.

Not sure how saying "so has Mer in the past" relates to anything in this scene/situation at all. A lot of things have gone down in ten years of Greys, Meredith has (of course) shown every emotion possible for ridiculous amounts of reasons. But that's not about this lol. Too big of a generalization. In the end, Maggie needed to keep a hold of her ego about this. She went the personal route with it, and that's where it all came apart.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Master Fan

Very good point. Owen backed Meredith. So it wasn't just Meredith's decision.

At the end of the day, Maggie was the one throwing her fists into the vending machine and throwing a tantrum. She made it personal and not about the job, what was best for the patient. She made it about impressing Mer, which she told Richard.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG Stargirl (View Post)
I think, medically speaking, the situation is a lot more complex than "right" and "wrong" ... with internal injuries the surgeons prioritize the best they are able to but it's very difficult to know what to handle first, second, etc. Maggie having her ego bruised because a decision was made to consider the kidney first was VERY unprofessional -- the way she entered the OR was way out of line. A patient's on the table and she going to play the "I told you so!" game? The situation could have gone either way - Maggie should be smart enough to not pigeon-hole it and make it all about her and her ego. I mean, seriously ... a patient's on the table! Owen made the call to go with Meredith's plan as well - that's how not clear-cut it was.

Not sure how saying "so has Mer in the past" relates to anything in this scene/situation at all. A lot of things have gone down in ten years of Greys, Meredith has (of course) shown every emotion possible for ridiculous amounts of reasons. But that's not about this lol. Too big of a generalization. In the end, Maggie needed to keep a hold of her ego about this. She went the personal route with it, and that's where it all came apart.
I did say nobody was 100% right. Medicine isnt'a perfect science. If I remember correctly Maggie didn't even say anything to Mer until Mer talked to her in the OR but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Being the Mer fan I am, I'm in her corner.
I'm a huge Mer fan too but she isn't perfect. She made a mistake as well.

ETA: I'm not trying to "defend" Maggie since we barely know her but this wasn't a black or white situation. I think Mer let her personal life get in the way too because she wasn't having a great day. And Mer sisters really need to stop working at the same hospital as her
Old 09-25-2014, 09:19 PM
Master Fan

Mer's one to only bite back when prodded. Maggie definitely prodded her because the message from her was "Everyone's being mean to me and not listening to me and I'm the head of cardio and that will NEVER happen again." I mean, they're all professionals - Meredith's not an intern, she's an attending in the hospital whose opinion shouldn't be completely dismissed - as Maggie mentioned would happen in the future. Listen, the guy's heart didn't stay stable long enough for them to finish working on the kidney ... is that something you can know for absolute sure ahead of time? I'm guessing not - you have to make choices and adjust accordingly as you know more. That's what being professional is.

ETA: As Maggie was screaming pleasantries at Mer while the helicopter was trying to land, Meredith attempted a "Hello." lol
Old 09-25-2014, 09:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

She could've let her do the eco though She ended up being right so...

Am I the only one who's like a bit jealous that Richard now has a daughter and Mer is not the only daughter figure? I know it's silly but I don't know...
Old 09-25-2014, 09:27 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
She didn't think there was time because the kidney situation was also so pressing! Again, it's not that simple. So much so that Owen made a choice.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG Stargirl (View Post)
She didn't think there was time because the kidney situation was also so pressing! Again, it's not that simple. So much so that Owen made a choice.
I never said it was.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:33 PM
Master Fan

Pretty strong episode. Loved the back to parallelism between the patients cases and the doctors. Finally I cared again for the patients.

And medically speaking I have to say that Maggie was right in wanting the cardiac eco done, indeed is protocol in trauma centers to do all those US before deciding what's the injury that will be treated first because of the letality but it's Grey's and normally I just let it go and give it creative license...anyway the problem was the attitude behind the actions. Meredith was acting only as the treating doctor, no behind the back intentions which are not Maggie's even if what she was trying to do was get into Mer's good side. Just as Lexie, they dont seem to know about right timing...doctors and surgeons cant be distracted...

Really curious about how is the MerDer going to develop after this apparent quick fix...Meredith didnt looked happy and I wonder if she is just fearing that Derek could resent her at some point or there's something else behind. Does this more to do with the fact that Derek once again decided something before talking with her? Drama is coming still!!!

Icon by Jaje
Old 09-25-2014, 09:35 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I never said it was.
There was a valid reason why Mer wanted to work on the kidney right away. I just watched the scene ... he had a fluid build up and his potassium was all over the place. She wasn't denying eco rights just because she felt like it - both of them had concerns.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladluvgrey (View Post)
Really curious about how is the MerDer going to develop after this apparent quick fix...Meredith didnt looked happy and I wonder if she is just fearing that Derek could resent her at some point or there's something else behind. Does this more to do with the fact that Derek once again decided something before talking with her? Drama is coming still!!!
I think that you're right on the resenting thing. She said she'd resent him if she'd move to DC so I think she doesn't want him to give up his job for her and thinks that he may regret it and resent her later.

Quote:
There was a valid reason why Mer wanted to work on the kidney right away. I just watched the scene ... he had a fluid build up and his potassium was all over the place. She wasn't denying eco rights just because she felt like it - both of them had concerns.
I know that. But it is protocol and it was important since they were suspecting heart damage too. Maggie should've been more assertive about it too.
Couldn't they do an eco during surgery though? Or is that not possible?
Old 09-25-2014, 09:39 PM
Master Fan

Quote:

Am I the only one who's like a bit jealous that Richard now has a daughter and Mer is not the only daughter figure? I know it's silly but I don't know...
In RL a cardiac taponade could kill you while a kidney rupture although is an emergency and does need surgery, normally it gives you time to act while the former, dont...indeed it could kill you as fast as 25 minutes...again...creative license. They wanted drama so...

Quote:
Couldn't they do an eco during surgery though? Or is that not possible?__
Yup...they could have...but it's. Grey's!

Icon by Jaje
Old 09-25-2014, 09:47 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
But it is protocol
Lulz. This cracked me up. (I'm sorry, personal inside joke with someone else on the board ... carry on )