Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by posterity (View Post)
Another one of Shonda's anti-Christianity shameless plugs. Sometimes it bugs me when she uses her show to dispel her own viewpoint.
I don't think she's trying to perpetuate anti-Christianity; in fact, I think it's good that Catherine said what she did, because it's an accurate portrayal of what many people perceive Christians, more so in the medical society. What would've been annoying is if April didn't defend herself and the audience was left to believe she would tell her child that their pro-choice dad and grandma were going to hell, but she did set the record straight, and I'm sure it will come up again in more detail as the children SL unfolds. Sarah has said that Shonda sat down and talked with her about April being a Christian, and was really supportive about it. She told Sarah that if she thought they were getting anything wrong that she should - and she has - stepped up and said something.

I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, then all at once.

-Nya
Old 03-23-2014, 04:27 PM
Master Fan

It is not even the Catherine thing, it is the caricaturing of Christianity in general. By that I mean the presentation of Christianity and views on pre-marital sex. It comes across as sometimes childish and poorly done. We know April is a Christian only because of her views on sex but we have never seen her really identify with her faith outside of this plotline and they have never really infused her faith into her character prior to season 8. In fact, I get the impression that it was casually added as a roadblock for Jackson and April because in season 7 she explained that she was a virgin because guys found her annoying and she lacked self-confidence to take the plunge.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:06 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by posterity (View Post)
It is not even the Catherine thing, it is the caricaturing of Christianity in general. By that I mean the presentation of Christianity and views on pre-marital sex. It comes across as sometimes childish and poorly done. We know April is a Christian only because of her views on sex but we have never seen her really identify with her faith outside of this plotline and they have never really infused her faith into her character prior to season 8. In fact, I get the impression that it was casually added as a roadblock for Jackson and April because in season 7 she explained that she was a virgin because guys found her annoying and she lacked self-confidence to take the plunge.
Yes, I see what you mean, they definitely decided to make April a Christian in S8, convenient drama for Japril. That was frustrating, and it makes it seem that that is all Christianity is boiled down to: being a virgin until marriage.

I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, then all at once.

-Nya
Old 03-23-2014, 06:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaprilOTP (View Post)
I don't think she's trying to perpetuate anti-Christianity; in fact, I think it's good that Catherine said what she did, because it's an accurate portrayal of what many people perceive Christians, more so in the medical society. What would've been annoying is if April didn't defend herself and the audience was left to believe she would tell her child that their pro-choice dad and grandma were going to hell, but she did set the record straight, and I'm sure it will come up again in more detail as the children SL unfolds. Sarah has said that Shonda sat down and talked with her about April being a Christian, and was really supportive about it. She told Sarah that if she thought they were getting anything wrong that she should - and she has - stepped up and said something.
Yes I agree with this post. Even though times have changed , but religion remains a source of natural conflict. April and Jackson got married before diving deep into those issues. I know couples in real life that divorced because of it. I think April and Jackson are REALLY cute ,but this is very realistic.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaprilOTP (View Post)
Exactly.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

Christina is being so weird in this episode. Why is she trying to se Owen up and acting all peppy. strange.

in general i was really bored with episode. i really dont care about the japril drama.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:05 PM
Fan Forum Star

I miss Cristina now