Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Elite Fan

[Episode Discussion] Chicago PD - 3x17 - "Forty Caliber Bread Crumb"

"FORTY-CALIBER BREAD CRUMB"

03/02/2016 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Wednesday) : INTELLIGENCE BECOMES EMBROILED IN A VIOLENT ROBBERY CASE THAT PUT HALSTEAD IN THE LINE OF FIRE. - While out on a bank run for his off-duty security job at the dispensary, Halstead (Jesse Lee Soffer) and his co-workers find themselves under attack by a violent robbery crew which quickly becomes a full-scale shootout. Voight (Jason Beghe) and Lindsay (Sophia Bush) question the owner of the dispensary who mentions her business has received threats from local gangs upset she's cutting into their revenue. Meanwhile Roman (Brian Geraghty), Burgess (Marina Squerciati), Antonio (Jon Seda), Halstead, Ruzek (Patrick Flueger) and Atwater (LaRoyce Hawkins) follow-up on a lead and track down a potential suspect. Also starring Elias Koteas and Amy Morton.

My Tumblr
My Twitter
Old 03-03-2016, 05:00 AM
Loyal Fan

Really great episode! The scenes between Alvin and Jay were so good.
Now they're hinting that Kim may like Sean, I don't know how I feel about it. I really love their friendship.
That last scene with Jay alone in the bathroom, I was hoping Alvin would show up and let him cry on his shoulder but it was a nice scene of Jay by himself.

No promo so no new episode next week.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:31 AM
Master Fan

I loved this episode. I already watched it twice and I plan to watch it again.

Jesse Lee Soffer nailed his scenes. I loved how his voice cracked when he said that the drived ducked during the shooting. Not to mention the scenes where he was pissed or the final scene where he cried. So many emotions and he nailed all of them.

Great moment between Voight and Jay. It's fun to think how much their relationship changed since Season 1. It was huge for Voight to admit that he is lucky to have Jay in his team.

Also the writers didn't forget this time that Erin and Jay are dating. I loved their hug. And how awkward was when Brianna's soon to be ex husband told them that she wants to screw Jay . I am not surprised of course that Jay told Brianna that he has someone waiting for him. Great that Erin was at the funeral with Jay and he was with his military uniform.

Indeed Olinski showed his support to Jay. Those two have always showed great understanding towards each other so I think that it was on spot that they showed this again in this episode.

On funny note how funny was Ruzek being jealous . His eyes . I hope that nothing will happen between Roman and Burgess, but it's good that they continue to show that Ruzek is affected by the break as well.

Also I bet that Voight didn't ask Jay about sleeping with Brianna because of the case. He asked him because of Erin. Not sure who has to be professional . Jay and Erin or Voight when it comes to his kind of daughter.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:49 AM
Banned

So there wasn't a problem when Jay had most of the screen time but when it was Antonio, there was too much of him.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:30 AM
Elite Fan

Awesome episode - awesome acting by Jesse - awesome Linstead moment!! Also loved the scene at Molly's with Jay, Mouse & Ethan.

secretk - this is certainly a rewatch for me as well. I pretty much agree with all of your comments. I don't know where Ruzek & Burgess will end up but certainly don't want to see Kim have a romance with Roman. I like them too much as partners & friends.

I never thought of Voight's motivation in asking Jay that question about Brianna but can absolutely see him asking for that reason.

"You're gonna' miss me so bad when I'm gone."
Old 03-03-2016, 03:18 PM
Elite Fan

I can't wait to see the episode it sounds really good

My Tumblr
My Twitter
Old 03-04-2016, 04:29 PM
Loyal Fan

The guy who played Terry Egan, I thought he looked really familiar so I looked him up. He played in the first episode of CPD, I'm pretty sure he was the guy in the first scene with Voight. I knew I knew him from somewhere.

Also, it says on IMDb that CPD will return on March 23.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Loyal Fan

Amazing episode. Once again I am blown away by Jesse's talent. Every emotion was portrayed perfectly - cracks in his voice, facial expressions, everything. Jay is such an interesting character and I'm really glad he got this episode.

I loved Linstead in it, Erin sticking by Jay's side. The fact that he let her comfort him and go with him to the funeral spoke volumes.

I also loved that the rest of the team had Jay's back. His scenes with Mouse, Alvin and Hank were really great. I especially love the fact that Hank told him he's lucky to have him in the unit. Oh how far they have come.

It was just a really powerful episode that I will no doubt rewatch multiple times.

As for Hank's question to Jay, I think it was mainly because of the case. Hank doesn't know what the status of Linstead's relationship is and he told Jay back in 3x02 that he didn-t care. So for all he knows, they are not exclusive. I think he was more worried that Jay was covering for Brianna and therefore screwing up the case. But yeah it was probably about Erin,too.

I hadn't noticed that the guy playing Terry was in the Pilot - that's funny. I liked the actor
Old 03-06-2016, 12:40 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFeelingTheLove (View Post)
Amazing episode. Once again I am blown away by Jesse's talent. Every emotion was portrayed perfectly - cracks in his voice, facial expressions, everything. Jay is such an interesting character and I'm really glad he got this episode.
He nailed everything in this episode. It didn't surprise me though as big part of me having Jay as favorite character is Jesse playing him. So obviously his acting works for me.
Quote:
I loved Linstead in it, Erin sticking by Jay's side. The fact that he let her comfort him and go with him to the funeral spoke volumes.
It was what I would expect from them and the show in general . I did expect Jay to keep it together until the end and I did expect him to break when he was alone. I am glad that Erin showed her support by being right behind him.
Quote:
I also loved that the rest of the team had Jay's back. His scenes with Mouse, Alvin and Hank were really great. I especially love the fact that Hank told him he's lucky to have him in the unit. Oh how far they have come.
I re-watched the episode in Season 1 when Jay was accused of murdering Rodiger and indeed how far they have come. I'm glad that Voight said this to Jay because I really do think that it's the truth. Granted Halstead is my favorite so I might look biased, but the guy has the proper training and is quite capable cop. In fact I think that he has proven that he could do his work even when the case is too personal for him. Of course he was pissed, but he still managed to follow orders, to catch the bad guy and basically do his job.
Quote:
It was just a really powerful episode that I will no doubt rewatch multiple times.
One of the best for me and not just for this season, but overall.

Quote:
As for Hank's question to Jay, I think it was mainly because of the case. Hank doesn't know what the status of Linstead's relationship is and he told Jay back in 3x02 that he didn-t care. So for all he knows, they are not exclusive. I think he was more worried that Jay was covering for Brianna and therefore screwing up the case. But yeah it was probably about Erin,too.
I think that Hank knows that Lindsay and Halstead are together. Whether they are exclusive or not he doesn't know agree . I'm not sure that they know that even . It's not like we've seen them discussing it. That being said I think that if people want to fool around there are plenty options there and it doesn't need to happen at work.

I also think that Voight knows Lindsay enough to see that she cares about Jay. I really don't see Hank asking her that question, but I think that he knows it. He knew that they were together when they were sneaking around. I'm pretty sure that now that they are in the open Hank knows it as well.

I also think that Hank told Jay that he doesn't care if they want to be a couple, but he will care if their relationship gets in the way of their work. At least this is what I would see Voight doing. So if potentially Erin and Jay break up because Jay cheated on her and this messes up with their work he will so care.

That being said I really do think that this question had nothing to do with the case. First of all like Brianna said it made no sense for her to be involved. Second of all Jay lost a friend/co-worker there. And he felt responsible for Terry's death. He said so. It's highly uncharacteristic for Jay to cover up for a woman he screw around when it comes to death of a friend. If anything we know that Jay is the least in the gray area among them. He has to really care about someone to cover for them. And so far we've only see him doing it once with Lindsay and once he offered to do something like that for Ben's father. And if Voight hadn't gathered this from working with Jay for three years, I think that he is a crappy detective. I think Jay's stunned reaction showered pretty much what he thinks about this question. He was even surprised that Voight went there.

Voight might have thought that he was being professional and asking about the case, but he didn't convince me. Then again I also think that Voight is not highly professional in general when it comes to Erin. In fact I rarely see Erin and Voight being professional with each other. Quite often during cases they blur the line.

But that's just my opnion and we are all entitled to have one .

Quote:
I hadn't noticed that the guy playing Terry was in the Pilot - that's funny. I liked the actor
I hadn't noticed it as well. It is funny for sure .

Last edited by secretk; 03-06-2016 at 12:48 AM
Old 03-06-2016, 04:12 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
He nailed everything in this episode. It didn't surprise me though as big part of me having Jay as favorite character is Jesse playing him. So obviously his acting works for me.
I actually tweeted that exact thing to Jesse myself lol Jay is my favourite character and a big part of that is because of Jesse's portrayal of him.

Quote:
It was what I would expect from them and the show in general . I did expect Jay to keep it together until the end and I did expect him to break when he was alone. I am glad that Erin showed her support by being right behind him.
Jay breaking alone was very in character I think. I'm glad that he allowed Erin to comfort him before that, because as he has said, he used to push people away before and we saw in this episode too that when he's upset his temper is even shorter than usual. So him letting Erin and the team comfort him was a big step.

Quote:
I re-watched the episode in Season 1 when Jay was accused of murdering Rodiger and indeed how far they have come. I'm glad that Voight said this to Jay because I really do think that it's the truth. Granted Halstead is my favorite so I might look biased, but the guy has the proper training and is quite capable cop. In fact I think that he has proven that he could do his work even when the case is too personal for him. Of course he was pissed, but he still managed to follow orders, to catch the bad guy and basically do his job.
I'm so glad that this episode was basically the opposite of the one in s1 because everyone had Jay's back. 1x10 is an episode I hated because they left him to fend for himself but we saw now how much they all care about him and I loved that.

As for Hank's question, you do have a point. It was left open for interpretation I guess so it confuses me a little bit. Hank does blur the lines and it's funny because he has yelled at Erin for treating him like the man who raised her but he has treated her like his daughter on multiple occasions.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:50 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I actually tweeted that exact thing to Jesse myself lol Jay is my favourite character and a big part of that is because of Jesse's portrayal of him.
Ah that's cool that you tweeted this to him!

Quote:
Jay breaking alone was very in character I think. I'm glad that he allowed Erin to comfort him before that, because as he has said, he used to push people away before and we saw in this episode too that when he's upset his temper is even shorter than usual. So him letting Erin and the team comfort him was a big step.
I think that the writing for this episode was also really spot on. This is how I imagined Jay would act in a situation like that. It's like he puts up a wall and allows people to a certain point. We saw how he avoided Mouse's attempt to make him open up. Even when Erin hugged him he was quick to say that he is OK and to go to talk to Voight about the case.

He did allow Erin to come with him to the funeral, but he was never to break down there. Too many people. He would wait to be alone to do so.

Also I do think that he left Mouse and Choi not because he had something to do, but because he didn't want to talk about his war experience. No idea what happened there and no idea if the writers even know , but it's obvious that he doesn't want to go there. Like at all.

So yeah he allowed them to comfort him somehow, but he definitely drew the line and allowed them to see only glimpse of what it is. He was in the control of how much they would comfort him. I do like characters like that so I have no problem with that.
Quote:
I'm so glad that this episode was basically the opposite of the one in s1 because everyone had Jay's back. 1x10 is an episode I hated because they left him to fend for himself but we saw now how much they all care about him and I loved that.
I think that even in Season 2 when he had bounty on his head it was shown that they do care about him. I don't think that Voight put him in protective custody because Jay would intervene the investigation. I think that he put him there for Jay's safety.

In this episode however it was even stronger. I love how Alvin said that he didn't care about the DEA guy, he wants to know if Jay is fine. That's real concern there.

Quote:
As for Hank's question, you do have a point. It was left open for interpretation I guess so it confuses me a little bit. Hank does blur the lines and it's funny because he has yelled at Erin for treating him like the man who raised her but he has treated her like his daughter on multiple occasions.
Oh yeah. They are both at fault for this. Both of them blur the lines.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:24 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I think that the writing for this episode was also really spot on. This is how I imagined Jay would act in a situation like that. It's like he puts up a wall and allows people to a certain point. We saw how he avoided Mouse's attempt to make him open up. Even when Erin hugged him he was quick to say that he is OK and to go to talk to Voight about the case.

He did allow Erin to come with him to the funeral, but he was never to break down there. Too many people. He would wait to be alone to do so.

Also I do think that he left Mouse and Choi not because he had something to do, but because he didn't want to talk about his war experience. No idea what happened there and no idea if the writers even know , but it's obvious that he doesn't want to go there. Like at all.

So yeah he allowed them to comfort him somehow, but he definitely drew the line and allowed them to see only glimpse of what it is. He was in the control of how much they would comfort him. I do like characters like that so I have no problem with that.
Yes. I think that's his way of coping. He needs to be in control otherwise he will lose it. He also carries a lot of guilt and doesn't want people to tell him it's not his fault because he is convinced it is, I think. This episode revealed just enough to make us want more and I do think at one point, maybe next season, we will get to the bottom of his story. Maybe he will really break at one point because he can't keep keeping it all bottled up forever. We'll see. I'm certainly that much more interested in his story after this episode.

Quote:
I think that even in Season 2 when he had bounty on his head it was shown that they do care about him. I don't think that Voight put him in protective custody because Jay would intervene the investigation. I think that he put him there for Jay's safety.

In this episode however it was even stronger. I love how Alvin said that he didn't care about the DEA guy, he wants to know if Jay is fine. That's real concern there.
Yes. in s2 they showed the concern, too. I just really loved how everyone stepped up in this last episode. Alvin's line about only caring about Jay was so sweet. Jay doesn't just have "somebody" waiting for him. He has a whole team of somebodies.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:13 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Yes. I think that's his way of coping. He needs to be in control otherwise he will lose it. He also carries a lot of guilt and doesn't want people to tell him it's not his fault because he is convinced it is, I think. This episode revealed just enough to make us want more and I do think at one point, maybe next season, we will get to the bottom of his story. Maybe he will really break at one point because he can't keep keeping it all bottled up forever. We'll see. I'm certainly that much more interested in his story after this episode.
I do hope that we will get more onto this story. I am not sure that their formula would allow them to write a story where he breaks, but I hope that at some point he will share with Erin something more about him just like she opened up to him.

Quote:
Yes. in s2 they showed the concern, too. I just really loved how everyone stepped up in this last episode. Alvin's line about only caring about Jay was so sweet. Jay doesn't just have "somebody" waiting for him. He has a whole team of somebodies.
I loved this scene so much. It had Jay pissed at the DEA guy, then his voice cracks and then Alvin tells him that the imporatant thing is that he is fine. So much feels in just one scene .
Old 03-06-2016, 10:52 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I loved this scene so much. It had Jay pissed at the DEA guy, then his voice cracks and then Alvin tells him that the imporatant thing is that he is fine. So much feels in just one scene .
The whole set-up of the crime was so well done and Jesse's acting was superb. The desperation in his voice when he called 911, the cracks when he was talking to Terry and then when he said "Al, he was ducking, man". Amazing acting.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:32 AM
New Fan

For the love of god can Roman just take a long walk off a short pier. Seriously he had fast become a complete muppet.....and what's with that stupid hat?

So Ruzek is jealous...okay I get that, but really Kim's comment to Roman "You know what he's like"...really? Not once have I seen one ounce of jealously on his part but then the writers really aren't even trying to make this interesting so why wouldn't they just make stuff up as they go.

Al's advice....awesome....NOT, yep just what we need more miserable advice from those whose relationships are a disaster, because no-one can actually be happy in a relationship and be good at their job???

Sure tell him to keep his mind on the job when he is at work....but he basically told him that it was one or the other and that's sad.

Apart from that ...A another really great episode, and an awesome job by Jesse Lee Soffer. I kinda hope we don't get the whole backstory spilled out in the near future because it keeps him interesting.

I do love it when the whole team gets in on the action, it's a much stronger show.

Pity Pot Lady didn't stick around longer though.