Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 02:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

7.17 - Gilmore Girls Only - Episode Discussion Thread (06/03/2007)

Airdate: March 6th, 2007

Writer: David Babcock
Director: Lee Shallat Chemel

LORELAI, RORY AND EMILY TAKE A ROAD TRIP
Lorelai plans a road trip to North Carolina to attend the wedding of Mia (guest star Kathy Baker), the woman who took in Lorelai and Rory (Alexis Bledel) and served as a surrogate mother/grandmother for many years. Rory has a fight with Logan over his immature reaction to his business disaster, and agrees to go on the trip with Lorelai. Emily invites herself along in an effort to get away from Richard, who is driving her crazy while he recuperates at home. At the wedding, Emily is upset by the close relationship Mia shares with Lorelai and Rory. Lorelai learns that Emily came to see Mia five years earlier to ask for pictures of Lorelai and Rory during the years they were estranged. Logan makes a surprise appearance and asks Rory to forgive him. Meanwhile, Lane and Zach ask Luke to be the godfather to their twins. Finally, Lane goes into labor and Luke helps get everyone to the hospital.

Global Promo: YouTube - Global promo 717

I can't wait to see this eppie!!

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
heartღaflutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:22 AM
Master Fan

Thanks fo0r the thread, karen ... I can't wait to see this episode and I hope we will know more about RL after that epi ...

It's a shame that the hiatus will kick us in the a** after this episode ... I can't believe we have to wait til April to see the next one ...
Old 03-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Elite Fan

I was worried about how Rory's siding with Mitchum would turn out, but I think it was great. She said everything I was feeling, but she tried to be sensitive about agreeing with Mitchum.
RoxyBlueGirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Total Fan

i was supremely disappointed in the fight, (contrived). i thought she was ridiculously judgemental. i was even more unhappy with how she handled his showing up. what i got from the first 50 minutes is, it's ok if she messes up, and has his support, but somehow its not something he should expect, in return. the actual words she used bothered me. to have her say "you're running away from your problems" pot meet kettle.

it felt like she climbed too high up on her high horse, that by the time their last scene came around, i didn't care. i'm happy for logan that he stood up to his dad. but i was really not feeling rory at all. i would have much preffered if he was shown treating her badly. but in the end he was a jerk because he was not living up to his professional duties. that made no sense.

perhaps if i had selective memory, i could have enjoyed it more. but i'm quite aware of who logan has been this year, and when rory has messed up. i certainly didn't think the argument warranted him chasing her down. i'm not even sure what he was apologizing for.

i'll have to hear what my friends that watch think, i'm sure they weren't feeling her too much either.

Last edited by Tanique33; 03-06-2007 at 07:16 PM
Tanique33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Elite Fan

I really didn't see Rory as being judgmental. She let him have his time to blow off steam. She was supportive and wanted to be there for him, but he pushed her away. When she said she was going to catch a train back to New Haven, he didn't seem to care at all. "Good enough." What kind of response is that? He was indifferent to her and pushed her away.

Logan needed to hear everything she said to him. She wasn't insensitive or judgmental in the way she said it. She agreed that Mitchum is a jerk, but she told him he was being irresponsible -- which he was. If she does love him, I would hope she would eventually confront him. Do we really want Rory to be passive?

I understand the similarities between Rory's situation at the beginning of S6 and Logan's situation now. However, there's a difference between a 20-year-old running away from her problems and taking a semester off from school and a 25-year-old running away from the mistake he made by just choosing to not show up to work. His mistake cost everyone a lot of money, not just him. If he needed a week off to try to come to terms with it, fine. But month or so? That is irresponsible -- and not just to himself but to the others his mistake affected.

More importantly, Rory and Logan's relationship wasn't exactly solid prior to their fight in LMHYBR. Logan was supportive, and I love that about him, but they didn't communicate well. They really didn't talk about their problems or anything. Maybe if they had been more up front with each other, they wouldn't have ended up having such a heated confrontation that left Logan believing they were broken up (and Rory thinking they were taking time). Why should they model their current relationship after one that initially failed?

We've seen them grow this year, and a lot of that has been improved communication. I'd like to believe they can confront each other. Rory wasn't even saying that he necessarily needed to go back to work and stay there forever. She just wanted him to deal with his mistake instead of staying in denial. That was obvious by her reaction to the news that he quit. She seemed pleased that he not only took responsibility for his mistake but also took control of his life.

I don't blame Rory for ignoring him at the wedding. It was sweet of Logan to fly down, and she probably could have let him apologize, but they were in the middle of a wedding. It's not really the most appropriate time. Plus, he had been pushing her away just a couple days before, so why wouldn't she be a little annoyed and want some space first?

And yes, I realize I'm being very defensive of Rory, but I always feel like she doesn't get enough defense. I understand her actions, just like I understand Logan's. I just think Logan was being irresponsible and needed Rory to tell him he needs to take responsibility, and I don't think her reaction to his showing up was uncalled for.

I loved how Emily was watching Rory and Logan from the window. It sounds sort of creepy as I write this, but I love that everyone in her life seems to like them together.

I also loved Rory's reaction to Logan telling her he quit. I'm really interested in how this will play out -- what Logan will do now. I want to see the two support each other as Logan figures out what he's going to do and as Rory interviews and decides what she'll do after graduation.

Last edited by RoxyBlueGirl7; 03-06-2007 at 07:57 PM
RoxyBlueGirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Total Fan

that's cool. i respect your opinion, as i've stated, i just feel differently.

but i don't really look at support having anything to do with stages in ones life. support is support to me. if rory was 20 or 55, that wouldn't matter to me. he offered it when she needed it, that is my bottom line.

i don't have to understand or agree with someone to support them. and what was the moral. had he quit right away and then sat around and moped for a few days would she have been proud of him sooner?

i have no problems seeing both sides of an issue, but i truly feel logan's misstep was made into a much bigger issue than it was. i certainly don't need to defend him, this was just one time i was on his side.

i FULLY expect lots of people, well some people, will think rory did the right thing, i'm frankly just not one of them.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Passionate Fan

Even though chances of it were really slim, I really wish we would have seen Logan stand up to Mitchum on screen. It would've been classic. If this is the last we see of Mitchum, I would've liked to seen Logan get that last word in. But regardless, I'm glad he's taking control of his life now and like Roxy, I'm really curious to see what's up next for Logan.

Overall, I wasn't really feeling this episode. Emily was great though. Except her comment that it'd be Rory doing the heartbreaking in the relationship. Hope that's not foreshadowing anything... but I guess I'm just being paranoid recently.

sLomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Total Fan

well i'm not paranoid, and that comment seemed a bit off. so you're not alone.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyBlueGirl7 (View Post)
I really didn't see Rory as being judgmental. She let him have his time to blow off steam. She was supportive and wanted to be there for him, but he pushed her away. When she said she was going to catch a train back to New Haven, he didn't seem to care at all. "Good enough." What kind of response is that? He was indifferent to her and pushed her away.

Logan needed to hear everything she said to him. She wasn't insensitive or judgmental in the way she said it. She agreed that Mitchum is a jerk, but she told him he was being irresponsible -- which he was. If she does love him, I would hope she would eventually confront him. Do we really want Rory to be passive?

I understand the similarities between Rory's situation at the beginning of S6 and Logan's situation now. However, there's a difference between a 20-year-old running away from her problems and taking a semester off from school and a 25-year-old running away from the mistake he made by just choosing to not show up to work. His mistake cost everyone a lot of money, not just him. If he needed a week off to try to come to terms with it, fine. But month or so? That is irresponsible -- and not just to himself but to the others his mistake affected.

More importantly, Rory and Logan's relationship wasn't exactly solid prior to their fight in LMHYBR. Logan was supportive, and I love that about him, but they didn't communicate well. They really didn't talk about their problems or anything. Maybe if they had been more up front with each other, they wouldn't have ended up having such a heated confrontation that left Logan believing they were broken up (and Rory thinking they were taking time). Why should they model their current relationship after one that initially failed?

We've seen them grow this year, and a lot of that has been improved communication. I'd like to believe they can confront each other. Rory wasn't even saying that he necessarily needed to go back to work and stay there forever. She just wanted him to deal with his mistake instead of staying in denial. That was obvious by her reaction to the news that he quit. She seemed pleased that he not only took responsibility for his mistake but also took control of his life.

I don't blame Rory for ignoring him at the wedding. It was sweet of Logan to fly down, and she probably could have let him apologize, but they were in the middle of a wedding. It's not really the most appropriate time. Plus, he had been pushing her away just a couple days before, so why wouldn't she be a little annoyed and want some space first?

And yes, I realize I'm being very defensive of Rory, but I always feel like she doesn't get enough defense. I understand her actions, just like I understand Logan's. I just think Logan was being irresponsible and needed Rory to tell him he needs to take responsibility, and I don't think her reaction to his showing up was uncalled for.

I loved how Emily was watching Rory and Logan from the window. It sounds sort of creepy as I write this, but I love that everyone in her life seems to like them together.

I also loved Rory's reaction to Logan telling her he quit. I'm really interested in how this will play out -- what Logan will do now. I want to see the two support each other as Logan figures out what he's going to do and as Rory interviews and decides what she'll do after graduation.
Roxy, I loved this. You put all of my thoughts and feelings into such great words! I also think that Rory often does not get enough defense and I loved reading your post. It was like you read my mind!
Old 03-07-2007, 01:44 AM
Fan Forum Star

Interesting thoughts, i can't wait to see it for myself

Quote:
Except her comment that it'd be Rory doing the heartbreaking in the relationship.
Not having seen the ep, so I'm probably taking it a different way right now, but I think this is Emily saying to Rory that Logan has no intentions to break Rory or anything. I don't know. I think I have to see the scene for myself in order to judge

From the TVGuide review:

Quote:
But kudos goes to Rory. Finally. For months she seemed so lost and off track. Last week I said she’s back, and she continues to prove it. The girl who had been tip-toeing around an out-of-control Logan actually stood up to him in the most powerful way possible. She agreed with Mitchum. “I love you but I am not going to support every stupid decision you make,” she lectured a stunned Logan. “I don’t see you getting your bearings, I see you hiding out, not facing your responsibilities. You’re being a jerk!” My sentiments exactly! Old Rory would have caved when Logan swooped in on Mia’s wedding “to talk.” Not this time. “This is so last-year’s Logan!” she hissed at him. “You think you can fly anywhere I am and overwhelm me by your grand gestures. I’m just not impressed.” Neither am I. I’ve been waiting and waiting and waiting for her to see through all the expensive gifts and vapid displays of wealthy wooing. She finally put it together in just one sentence: “If I am going to do this, I am going to do this on my terms,” she explained to a shocked Lorelai. (Oh, and by the way, good advice for Mom too.) She might be tough but she’s still our Rory, which means she’ll always be supportive when Logan does right. And when he told her that he quit his father’s company, Rory was proud of him. I’ve never been a big Logan fan but I’ll admit it: that move took serious cojones. Good for him.

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]

Last edited by heartღaflutter; 03-07-2007 at 02:03 AM
heartღaflutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:06 AM
Total Fan

haha, that review actually made me laugh. that read like logan was being a "jerk" for months. who knew one episode would get all that. clearly that person was talking about more than one episode, as they were "waiting and waiting for her to see through all the expensive gifts and vapid displays of wealthy wooing."

HUH???

that is why i dont read reviews. or, perhaps we are watching two different shows.

worst quote from the thing?

"She might be tough but she’s still our Rory, which means she’ll always be supportive when Logan does right."

uh, remind me not to ask for this persons friendship.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:34 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
"She might be tough but she’s still our Rory, which means she’ll always be supportive when Logan does right."

uh, remind me not to ask for this persons friendship.
That sounds really bad ... I mean you can't be only supportive when the other person makes everything right ... that's sooooooo ... I don't find an fitting word for that ... so not right ...

In vows it is like "in good AND in bad times" ...
Old 03-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Total Fan

exactly. the true test is if you are supportive when things are not all bright and sunny.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Master Fan

*hig five sister*

What a relationship is that when you are only supportive when everything is fine ... that's not an achievement ... everybody is able to do this ...
Old 03-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Total Fan

high five right back at you. it's really not an achievement. everyone wants to be around you when you're doing well.

what's interesting is that made the show entertaining for hte writer. she was happy when rory was telling him what he was doing wrong, and happy she wouldn't support him when he was down, but when he apologized, he was worthy of support then.

the whole idea of that is warped, and unfortunate.

frankly if that is how i viewed rory or saw rory and logan, i wouldn't love them at all. i wouldn't even like rory. but for some it apparently makes her who she is.