Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 08:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

As much as I am groaning over news of the OC musical, I am amused that many iconic scenes lists are chock-full of Marissa:

The OC Musical Iconic Scenes : People.com
Old 07-01-2015, 05:36 AM
Elite Fan

Autumn Reeser is playing Julie, right?
Old 07-02-2015, 11:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Yes, oddly enough, lol. I really can't imagine her in the role. I could honestly replace Kirsten with a lot of actresses, lol, but Mindy really made Julie hers.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Elite Fan

Mindy and Mischa, I miss them.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristofle (View Post)
As much as I am groaning over news of the OC musical, I am amused that many iconic scenes lists are chock-full of Marissa:

The OC Musical Iconic Scenes : People.com
Of course a lot of the iconic moments are Marissa Cooper. You wonder why that lostless season crashed and burn so fast.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:17 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Glamour: Is there a storyline on The O.C. you wish you could do over again.
Stephanie: [Laughs] Yes, there is. The thing that was tricky about network television is just how fast it moves. You start in production, and then you’re writing and shooting and editing at the same time, so many times, there will be a moment when you realize something isn’t working, but you can’t fix it because you’ve already shot those episodes. I think we put a lot of pressure on ourselves on The O.C. to change things up and make them different, and the reality was the audience liked things the way they were, and they didn’t need to see Marissa in public school or see as many new characters introduced that we felt they did at the time.

Glamour: Would you have kept Marissa alive if you could do it all over again?
Stephanie: Well, that’s a tricky one. It definitely was a real heartbreaker to do that story, but there were a lot of outside factors—changes at the network and directives that we were being given where it was feeling like the show that we were making wasn't necessarily the show that was going to survive on that level.
New interview with Stephanie Savage - Secrets from The O.C., Gossip Girl, Charlie's Angels, and Astronaut Wives Club from Stephanie Savage: Glamour.com

She was a disaster on Gossip Girl but she always seemed to lean more favourably towards Marissa on The OC than perhaps others.

Also, hilarious how the show didn't survive even with their supposed efforts.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:36 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for sharing that! Interesting read.

Preach about the public school thing.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

I can't believe anyone EVER thought the public school thing was a good idea, lol.

But yeah, she's trying to be diplomatic in saying she wasn't given a choice in Mischa's exit storyline. Josh pretty much admitted during the 10 year anniversary stuff that he bought into TWoP's vision of the show and convinced the network that they needed to fire Mischa to save it, and instead it put it WAY further into the ground.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Addicted Fan

Agree on both counts.

Reading her response here (below), you can see how they burnt out storylines by S1. Both young and went into it with lots of gusto but not much planning and little left in new ideas for the later seasons. Sad how the OC never lived up to its season 1 potential despite some promising moments.

Quote:
Glamour: Your foray into television began with Fastlane on Fox, but it was the launch of The O.C. the following year that really got you noticed. It was also one of the first shows that premiered in August, which was unusual at the time for a fall premiere. When did you realize the show was going to be this huge phenomenon?
Stephanie: Well, it’s hard to know. I always go by if I loved something, if I’m in love with my actors, and if I’m love with the look and feel of the show and can watch it over and over again. The O.C. was very challenging. They knew [Fox] wanted it for August, so when we were shooting the pilot—which was picked up in March—we were also cutting together a sales reel of what the pilot would be [to sell to advertisers]. So we were creating two versions at the same time. [After the pilot], we stayed in production because we were going to have six episodes ready to go on in August. If Josh [Schwartz] hadn’t have been 26, and I hadn’t been so full of energy, I don’t know if we would have agreed to do it, but we both loved the show! We were so excited that we were like, "Let’s just do it." The show premiered OK, but Fox really believed in it and kept re-airing episodes. By the end of August, it really felt like it had caught on and people were excited about it. People were yelling, "Welcome to the O.C., bitch!" and making jokes about Chino and living in a pool house in a way that felt like it had traction on a larger level.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

I think the section about adding new characters pretty much sums that up- they seemed to think that was the solution to everything in S2 and S3, and instead it pretty much just enraged the audience.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:24 AM
Elite Fan

New characters for long term arcs is never a good thing.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:34 AM
Dedicated Fan

I don't know if I'd say never, but it's a rare thing for it to ever work out. Adding new characters can actually enhance a show, but it needs to be vital to the central characters and have a real reason to have them, not just add them to spice things up.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

And really, the only reason there was any success with ANY guest stars on The OC was because they lucked out with a couple actors- Olivia Wilde, Logan Marshall-Green. Most of the time, the writing was very sloppy.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:37 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
vital to the central characters and have a real reason to have them, not just add them to spice things up.
Yeah, that's exactly right.

I think with The OC, new characters were always brought in to just cover over storylines. So we hardly ever got a resolution to any thread of a story, cause they'd just randomly bring in new people.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Remember when we all imagined the fabulous, emotional fall-out to the Trey storyline that had to be coming? Ha. Hahahahahahaha.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread