Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Elite Fan

Francesca (AoaHSP) #3: On DVD October 6th, 2009

This highly anticipated new movie of Mischa's is now airing at Sundance festival and receiving unanimously glowing reviews. Centered around an SAT scam at a high school that reveals a deeper darkness, Mischa landed the coveted role of the femme fatale, Francesca, who encourages the lead male Bobby to look into the dark underbelly of the school. Co-starring the ever-popular Bruce Willis in a supporting role as the school's principal, this one is one of 2008's most anticipated independent films, and our girl is part of it! As a side note, this film was once called "The Sophomore".

Assassination of a High School President (2008)

Stills

Mischa-B.com Gallery - Promotional Stills

Mischa and co-star Reece Thompson at Sundance

Mischa-B.com Gallery - Sundance Portraits

Mischa on-set

Mischa-B.com Gallery - Mischa on a break from filming "The Sophomore" buying icecream - Aug 23

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reviews

Sundance Review: ‘Assassination of a High School President’

Sundance 2008 has unveiled its first truly great film.

Tuesday morning, a group of bleary-eyed moviegoers stumbled into the Yarrow theater, nursing their mocha lattes. The lights went down, the projector lit up, and we were transported to the distinctive, hilarious and twisted world of “Assassination of a High School President,” starring Mischa Barton, Bruce Willis and 19-year-old Reece Thompson in a role that should make him 2008’s Michael Cera (or, at the very least, Jason Schwartzman).

The flick plays like “Rushmore” meets “The Usual Suspects,” alongside shout-outs to everything from “Sixteen Candles” to “Chinatown” to “Fast Times at Ridgemont High.” This unlikely concoction is blended together to bring us Bobby Funke, a 21st-century gumshoe who just so happens to have a chewing gum addiction. A rookie reporter for his high school paper, Funke thinks he’s made his career when he takes down the most popular kid, writing an expose on the jock’s theft of the SATs.

After the President’s sexy girlfriend (Barton) and unscrupulous buddies befriend him, Funke begins to smell something unpleasant – and it’s not just because the kid who sits behind him in Spanish class farted in his face.

The film’s central mystery keeps you guessing intelligently, but brilliantly balances every reference to Nietzsche with a joke about a chocolate swirly. Bruce Willis is hilariously intense, Mischa brings the femme fatale back for a new generation, and the supporting cast is filled with breakout young stars. The soundtrack is also one you’ll definitely want to buy, highlighted in scenes like Funke’s crazy, impromptu dance scene that seems like something Napoleon Dynamite might whip out.

The only downside of the film is it feels a bit long, even with a runtime of ninety minutes. Those behind the film plan to make some small tweaks before its August release, and it seems like a tiny bit of streamlining could yield an instant classic. My only fear is that, since it is most reminiscent of the recent cult-classic “Brick,” it might have a similarly difficult time getting moviegoers to give it a chance; if they do, however, word- of-mouth will be strong.

For a taste, check out some clips from the flick here.

Much like “Juno” and “Superbad,” the film is stuffed with so many rapid-fire laughs that you’ll need to watch it multiple times – especially so you can memorize all the super-quotable lines. I’ve seen the future of movies, folks, and it’s looking Funke.

MTV Movies Blog ? Sundance Review: ‘Assassination of a High School President’

Assassination of a High School President Plot Summary, Review

After the President’s sexy girlfriend (Mischa Barton, actually giving a great performance) and unscrupulous buddies befriend him, Funke begins to smell something unpleasant in the air.
The film’s central mystery keeps you guessing intelligently, but brilliantly balances every reference to Nietzsche with a joke about a chocolate swirly. It’s very well-written. Bruce Willis is hilariously intense in a cameo, while Barton is better in this part than in any season of The OC.

Source: Assassination of a High School President Plot Summary, Review - Reel Movie News

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Clips!

This is what we all look for; MTV has released a couple clips of the movie!

'Are You A Man, Funke?' | Video | 'Assassination Of A High School President': A Closer Look | MTV

New stuff will be added as we receive new information.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Elite Fan

Most recent stuff:

Random pics from Sundance and the wrap party

Yari Film Group Releasing Crashes Due to Bankruptcy
December 14, 2008
by Alex Billington
Yari Film Group Releasing

Yet another independent film distributor has gone belly up, this time it's Yari Film Group Releasing, the distribution arm of Bob Yari's company. As of last Friday, the company was forced into involuntary bankruptcy due to a described "perfect storm" of debts and other issues. Yari Film Group's first big hit was The Illusionist in 2006; other films they've released include First Snow, The Hoax, The Painted Veil, Resurrecting the Champ, The Good Night, Kickin It Old Skool, and The Perfect Holiday. Yari was also in the midst of releasing two dramas this December - Nothing But the Truth and What Doesn't Kill You.

Bob Yari said that they were "left with no other option but to commence substantial layoffs and to suspend its releasing activities." While both Nothing But the Truth and What Doesn't Kill You will both be released as planned (on December 19th and December 12th, respectively), all other films will most likely be put on a temporary hold. Yari Film Group's production side will not be affected, although they are likely to make fewer movies now that the company is struggling financially. "Our goal is to aggressively work towards reorganizing our debt so that we can become a stronger company," Yari said in a statement.

At one point a few years ago I actually wrote an article about Yari Film Group, praising them for being a strong company with great releases. However, their first downward turn was with the throwaway comedy Kickin It Old Skool. Since then they've released nothing but bombs or have struggled to give potential hits the actual support they needed. I'll continue to say that the two reasons why companies like Yari Film Group and Picturehouse have collapsed are: first off, they decide to release so many terrible throwaway films, and second, because their staff is made up of people who really don't understand marketing or distribution.

Sadly, Yari had a few releases coming up that I was really looking forward to, specifically The Maiden Heist and Assassination of a High School President. We don't yet know what the status of either of these two are, but we'll be sure to keep everyone in the loop, as I won't let these films disappear.

Yari Film Group Releasing Crashes Due to Bankruptcy � FirstShowing.net
Old 12-21-2008, 03:32 AM
Absolute Fan

Thanks Sam!
OP looks awesome oh, and title's SO true!

k, from my YT page I'm reposting an interview that was taken last Jan. at Sundance

Mischa Barton, co-star Reece Thompson and movie director Brett Simon sit with Boaz Frankel from Groupee to talk about "Assassination of a High School President".
...as an ordinary day I PRAYED FOR YOU A THOUSAND TIMES...
MiScHa <3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Sadly, Yari had a few releases coming up that I was really looking forward to, specifically The Maiden Heist and Assassination of a High School President. We don't yet know what the status of either of these two are, but we'll be sure to keep everyone in the loop, as I won't let these films disappear.
That's a real shame, I was really hoping this would be the movie that put Mischa back on the map as it was getting such good reviews and co starred Bruce Willis. If the distribution arm is bankcrupt we might not see this any time soon, even direct2DVD, unless they get another distributor or do some kind of deal with another company.
RubyGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Elite Fan

They already have a deal with another company - Freestlye Releasing - but even things with them have been fairly quiet. And the movie was pulled from Freestyle's website.

I guess only time will tell.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:51 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
They already have a deal with another company - Freestlye Releasing - but even things with them have been fairly quiet. And the movie was pulled from Freestyle's website.

I guess only time will tell.
Oh, thanks, I haven't kept up with Mischa movie news recently. Well that's good that they have another company. But it doesn't sound promising if it was pulled from their website. Kinda like what kept happening with "Virgin Territory" for years before they just gave up and released it on DVD quietly. I hope this has better luck and a theatrical run.
RubyGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:10 AM
Elite Fan

It will be devastating if its not theatrically released. Mischa needs something to come out in the US.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Elite Fan

Im getting a bit worried now. It's mid bloody January and still no trailer. This is supposed to be in limited release by the end of next month.

Independent film fails.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:20 AM
Elite Fan

Top billing
Old 01-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Master Fan

WHAT? WHERE THE **** IS THAT?!?!?!?!

In other news, I need that poster. It's da bomb!
Old 01-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Absolute Fan

one KICKIN ASS poster. period.
...as an ordinary day I PRAYED FOR YOU A THOUSAND TIMES...
MiScHa <3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Elite Fan

It was at a preview screening for the film back in August last year, I think.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Master Fan

Oh, ok.

I need this movie right now.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Elite Fan

Just realized this, but Luke Grimes (Ryan Lafferty in Brothers & Sisters) is in this movie.

So Mischa's worked with Luke and Matthew Rhys. Now I need her to work with Rachel and/or Sally.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Master Fan

SHE SHOULD GUEST STAR ON B&S!

I need this movie now, btw.