Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:11 PM
Elite Fan

Those gifs are adorable! I haven't been around much - dealing with health and personal issues on top of school and work, but I hope you are well, Monica! I miss you!
-The Holy Qur'an [13:16]
Old 05-14-2014, 08:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Sooooo, it's been about eight years since Josh made the stupidest decision ever

(from here)

Still miss you, bb girl.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Elite Fan

Old 05-17-2014, 11:40 PM
New Fan

eight years
Old 05-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Passionate Fan

Beautiful gifset
Old 05-22-2014, 12:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

A collection of Marissa gifs.

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

Interesting conversation in Marissa's tag on Tumblr recently, as the anniversary of Marissa's death passed- some Marissa fans were upset at the glorification of her death scene, feeling like the appreciation is overly focused on Ryan. Thoughts? Do people here enjoy it for its angst, or just not appreciate it?
Old 05-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Elite Fan

The only reason I can get my head around the idea of her dying, is that it had such enormous impact. And will be remembered as a television moment for a long time to come.

As a fan, I would have much preferred to see her just go off and be happy. But there is something nice about Marissa having the kind of arc she did, just cause she will forever resonate. And part of that is being angry, but I still kinda think it's better to be outraged about an ending than have it be bland. And I wouldn't trust these writers to give her something beautiful. So tragic might have to do.

And it was also a nice **** you to the writers for thinking they could kill her off and move on. So all of that forms a good memory.

I don't know if I even felt that way up until recently. Cause I was just thinking about some of my other favourites - like Peyton - and I legitimately can't remember the final scenes. Or even the final arc.

Re: the focus on Ryan. I'd be more upset about that if I didn't think Marissa would have chosen to die in his arms. I struggled with RM in season 3, but I never doubted that Marissa loved him. It would have been nice if she got a little more from him - a la Allison dying on Teen Wolf - but I wasn't mad at the way they were referencing season one throughout the sequence.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

LOL, I actually remember Peyton's final scene very well, and I loved it. But I am less resentful than I would be because I think Josh paid for the mistake- this show will pretty much forever be remembered as being canceled 16 episodes after killing their lead female.

I'm torn about Ryan- you all remember how I felt, I'm sure. But I didn't doubt that she loved him either. On the other hand, it didn't feel very equal towards the end, and I can see the criticism that a fairly brutal and horrific death of a teenage girl is used for angst- and basically momentary angst at that- for a male character.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:07 PM
Elite Fan

Marissa wasn't even just used to create angst for Ryan. She was just the scapegoat for the show as a whole. And when the writers felt like they couldn't control her anymore, she was given a literally explosive scene to shut her down. So I don't really see it as anything other than crappy writing.

At the time, that's what was infuriating. But because their attempt to shut her down failed, with Marissa's spirit eclipsing the show, I kinda love that it all backfired on them.

And they all keep saying how much they loved season 4, and it's what they wanted it to be. But The OC went from having phenomenal cultural impact to being absolutely irrelevant. And that is all because of Marissa.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

I do think Mischa/Marissa paid for the unfortunate fact that The OC aired in the couple year period when show creators were taking TWoP WAY too seriously.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:44 PM
Elite Fan

That still baffles me. Cause fine, TWoP hates Mischa. But how could they not notice the countless appearances, endorsements, interviews and magazines that were salivating to have her.

I don't get it.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:01 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

TWoP wasn't a very good representation of the OC audience. I think Josh wanted to believe it was, but it was a frothy teen show, and very few of those kinds of fans were posting on TWoP. It's slightly better- but still not great- for shows like Veronica Mars or Hannibal, but listening to it as a barometer on The OC is insane.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:02 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
some Marissa fans were upset at the glorification of her death scene, feeling like the appreciation is overly focused on Ryan. Thoughts? Do people here enjoy it for its angst, or just not appreciate it?
I don't really feel enraged about how the scene was done, but I can't really say that I enjoy/appreciate the angst of it either. It's just too depressing for me and I can see the criticism that it is getting.

At this point in time, I've sort of made my peace with how the OC played out. It was what it was...

Even if Marissa didn't die- even if she went to Greece at the end of S3 (and the rest of S3 had still played out the same)- I don't think I would've been very satisfied with that type of ending either. I would've much preferred for Marissa to have been around in S4.

And as a hardcore Seth/Marissa shipper, I'll always be a little disappointed that the show never went in the Seth/Marissa direction.

So many gifs in that link! This one is really cute:

Old 05-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

I think I would have found it stupid if they'd shipped her off to Greece, and I wouldn't have watched S4 because she was by far my primary draw, but #1, that's a mistake that can be undone. She can always come home. And #2, at least I could have imagined she was off happy somewhere, instead of dead in the ground
Old 06-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Passionate Fan

True.

I wonder if Josh would've been willing to bring Mischa/Marissa back. And if Mischa would've wanted to go back.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread