Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Fan

i really like what they say about how kelly was the kind of contestant that made you want to root for her so much. but are they implying that they don't put her in the same category as carrie and jennifer hudson in terms of success?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Obsessed Fan

They're saying that you wouldn't guess by Carrie and Jennifer's performances on the show that they would be so successful. Whereas, Kelly, you were rooting for the entire time basically. So, it's not saying anything about their success after the show, just how they did during the show.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirageDurb (View Post)
They're saying that you wouldn't guess by Carrie and Jennifer's performances on the show that they would be so successful. Whereas, Kelly, you were rooting for the entire time basically. So, it's not saying anything about their success after the show, just how they did during the show.
That's how I read the article too.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Flashback video. Just cause.

I love this performance!

Old 06-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Fan

her voice was a little hoarse that day but she sang the hell out of every sound that night. that's a great perf.!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Just bringing over some cute flashback animations found on tumblr.

Downtown Girl

Old 06-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Obsessed Fan

On that note, there is a website, Television Without Pity, that recaps a ton of shows. She actually has the recaps still from every single season of AI (TV Show Recaps & Reviews - TV Show Episode Recaps & Reviews | TWoP). I love reading reactions to Kelly from before anyone realized she was awesome. She wasn't in any of the episodes at all until she performed Respect to get into the top 10 (episode 3). Just realize if you do read it that there is some foul language in there. Also, just so you know, she calls Justin Guarini Justin (Eeeeee!) and Ryan and Brian are called Black and Decker. If you read all her recaps you'll understand why. Well, why she calls Justin Justin (Eeeee!).

I really loved this excerpt of her first performance, the judges' reactions and Kelly's reaction:
Quote:
Commercials. When we return, it's Kelly Clarkson's turn. Who? Kelly is this energetic young girl who bears more than a passing resemblance to Reese Witherspoon. We see clips of her at her auditions, where for some reason she and Randy switch places. Kelly sits up at the judges' table, while Randy waddles out to the floor to perform an interpretation of "I Believe I Can Fly." Given his comments to Tenia earlier, R. Kelly is certainly an interesting choice. And why didn't we see this in the audition shows? And what the hell is the context? What little we get to see is hysterical. I guess the contestants are only allowed to be funny at the auditions if they suck. If they're good, they have to have sob stories and be nervous.

Kelly hits The Octagon in a simple black pantsuit with a giant silver belt. She's got her hair pulled up in a nice pile on her head, and like Alexis, she seems to be highlighting her natural brunette color with shades of gray. Is that the big thing now? The hair dye commercials keep insisting that women all want their hair to be the same shade of copper wiring. She starts singing Aretha's "Respect," and man, she has a big voice. What is the deal with all the boys having thin, weak voices and all the girls being big belters? She's from Texas, so there's a bit of twang to her rendition. When it comes to originality of performance, she's somewhere between Kelli and Angela. She does a lot of Aretha's phrasing and pacing, but does give the song her own spin here and there. We get a reaction shot back to Pimp Central; Justin (Eeeeeeee!) and Gil are jamming out to her performance. She's very good. Somehow she makes her Southern white girl sass work for an Aretha song.

udges. Randy loved her performance. Kelly sang this song at the auditions as well, and Paula says she was hoping that Kelly would perform it again, because she does such a good job with it. Simon is staring off into space this whole time. When it comes to his turn, he admits that he doesn't know what to say, because he doesn't remember who Kelly is. He says that she has a great voice. Then he remembers her switching places with Randy, but that's all he can remember about her auditions. Kelly just doesn't even know how to respond to that, so she just thanks them all and leaves.

Justin (Eeeeeee!) hugs Kelly as she returns to Pimp Central. She says that she doesn't know what Simon's comments meant. I guess he means that you didn't really have an impact on him, good or bad. Which really means that you don't impress him. She sits next to Black and Decker and says she wasn't sure what to say or if Simon was done or what. She says she was all "ducka ducka ducka" because she didn't know what to say. She makes these funny little robot hand gestures when she says that. She seems terribly cute and outgoing. She's like Natalie, but less artificial.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I absolutely love re-reading old recaps like that. It seriously brings back the magic that was season 1. I remember the excitement that came with it, how fresh it was, and the rise of Kelly's popularity. It was awesome!

Thank you for reposting that.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

American Idol's Tenth Anniversary: Kelly Clarkson's Journey to 73 Billboard Chart Toppers | Billboard.biz

Quote:
Ten years ago tonight, families all over the United States sat down in front of their televisions and watched the first episode of the first season of a new Fox-TV series called "American Idol." It's doubtful that anyone on either side of the camera had any idea what impact the program would have, or that ten years later to the day, the show would be responsible for an astounding 345 No. 1s on the Billboard charts and that 64 of the 132 finalists would have seen their names on those same charts.

The American Idol with the most No. 1s is the very first winner, Kelly Clarkson. She has collected 73 Billboard chart-toppers to date, starting with the season one coronation song, "A Moment Like This." On the Hot 100 dated Oct. 5, 2002, "A Moment Like This" soared 52-1, setting the record for the biggest leap to pole position, besting the 27-1 jump of the Beatles' "Can't Buy Me Love" 38 years earlier.

Clarkson is still rewriting chart history ten years after the series premiered. Last week, her single "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" went from strength to strength as it entered the Mainstream Top 40 Recurrents chart at No. 1. It is the tenth chart where "Stronger" has captured the throne, following reigns on Hot Digital Songs, Hot Digital Tracks, the Billboard Hot 100, Hot Dance Club Play, Adult Top 40, Adult Top 40 Audience, Mainstream Top 40, Mainstream Top 40 Audience and Adult Contemporary.

"Stronger" is the second Clarkson song to be No. 1 on ten different Billboard charts. In December 2004, "Since U Been Gone" went to No. 1 on Hot Digital Tracks and over the next 13 months, also topped the Pop 100, Pop 100 Airplay, Mainstream Top 40, Mainstream Top 40 Audience, Dance Airplay, Mainstream Top 40 Recurrents, Pop 100 Recurrents, Adult Top 40 Recurrents and Hot 100 Recurrents. "Since U Been Gone" is Clarkson's most successful single on the Hot 100 [see her top 10], even though it had to settle for peaking at No. 2. It tied its immediate predecessor, "Breakaway," for the longest run of any Clarkson song on this chart, with 46 weeks on the list.

Clarkson's 73 chart-toppers include No. 1s on Billboard's country charts. In 2007, Clarkson just missed going to the head of the class when her duet with Reba McEntire, a remake of Clarkson's 2005 hit "Because Of You," peaked at No. 2. But in 2011, Clarkson teamed up with Jason Aldean on "Don't You Wanna Stay." The single ruled Country Digital Songs for two weeks in February of that year, and a month later began a three-week reign on Hot Country Songs.

Two albums by the singer from Burleson, Texas have crowned The Billboard 200. "Thankful," her debut release, spent one week at No. 1 in May 2003 and "All I Ever Wanted" began a two-week reign in March 2009. Ironically, the albums that produced her biggest Hot 100 hits, "Breakaway" and the current "Stronger," both missed the golden ring. The former peaked at No. 3 and the latter had to settle for topping out at No. 2.

Clarkson's longest-running No. 1 is her soundtrack single "Breakaway," from the film "The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement." While the song peaked at No. 6 on the Hot 100, it topped the Adult Contemporary tally for 21 weeks in 2005, and enjoyed an even longer rule on the companion Adult Contemporary Audience chart, where it was No. 1 for 28 weeks.

Ten years after the premiere of "American Idol," the series is already in production on season 12 - Los Angeles auditions were held on June 7. As the series begins its second decade on the air, Clarkson will begin her second decade on the Billboard charts on Sept. 21, 10 years to the day after "A Moment Like This" debuted on the Hot 100. No one knows how long "Idol" will last - just last month Fox Networks Group president David Haslingden predicted the series would run "15, 16, 17 seasons." But Clarkson? There's no reason to think she won't be on the Billboard charts for a third, fourth or fifth decade. Who's ready to attend the Kelly Clarkson 50th anniversary tour in 2062?

KELLY CLARKSON'S TOP 10 HITS ON THE BILLBOARD HOT 100
Rank, Title, (Peak Year), Hot 100 Peak Position (weeks spent at No. 1)

1. "Since U Been Gone" - (2005) - No. 2

2. "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" - (2012) - No. 1 (3 weeks)

3. "Behind These Hazel Eyes" - (2005) - No. 6

4. "Breakaway" - (2004) - No. 6

5. "Because of You" - (2005) - No. 7

6. "My Life Would Suck Without You" - (2009) - No. 1 (2 weeks)

7. "A Moment Like This" - (2002) - No. 1 (2 weeks)

8. "Miss Independent" - (2003) - No. 9

9. "Already Gone" - (2009) - No. 13

10. "Walk Away" - (2006) - No. 12

This ranking is based on actual performance on the weekly Billboard Hot 100 chart through the tally dated June 16, 2012. Songs are ranked based on an inverse point system, with weeks at No. 1 earning the greatest value and weeks at No. 100 earning the least. To ensure equitable representation of the biggest hits from each era, certain time frames were weighted to account for the difference between turnover rates from those years.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Fan

that was a great read. no matter how many seasons go by it's always great to see the praise and accolades thrown at kelly. it's been a rough road at times, but she always comes out on top!
Old 06-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Fan

Favorite ‘American Idol’ Winner – Readers Poll

Favorite ‘American Idol’ Winner – Readers Poll

Quote:
‘American Idol‘ has been on television for so long, it seems like a lifetime ago that we were watching Kelly Clarkson beat out Justin Guarini to become the show’s first-ever champion. Now, 11 seasons later, almost a dozen pop and country crossover acts have ‘Idol’ to thank for their fame. Out of the 11 winners who have taken the title of ‘American Idol’ since 2002, who is your favorite?

Clarkson is the first winner in ‘Idol’ history, and since she was announced as the champ, she has gone on to become a Grammy-winning superstar with her chart-topping hits. Later on, Ruben Studdard (remember him?) won the second season, and Fantasia Barrino won the third season — both vocal powerhouses went on to become huge names in the gospel and R&B community.

In Season 4 of ‘Idol,’ country princess Carrie Underwood was crowned the winner, and she’s now established herself as one of the genre’s leading artists. Taylor Hicks took the win in Season 5 with his bluesy voice, and ‘No Air’ hitmaker/’Sparkle’ starlet Jordin Sparks took the ‘American Idol’ title a year later.

The rest of the ‘Idol’ winner roster includes ‘The Time of My Life’ singer David Cook, ‘Live Like We’re Dying’ singer Kris Allen, Season 9 champ Lee DeWyze, country youngin Scotty McCreery and finally, the most recent ‘Idol’ winner, rocker Phillip Phillips.

Who is your favorite ‘Idol’ winner? Vote below!

Kelly Clarkson 34.15%

Ruben Studdard 0%

Fantasia Barrino 0.94%

Carrie Underwood 22.83%

Taylor Hicks 4.34%

Jordin Sparks 3.58%

David Cook 19.81%

Kris Allen 1.13%

Lee DeWyze 0.38%

Scotty McCreery 7.55%

Phillip Phillips 5.28%
Old 08-07-2012, 06:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I missed that when it was first posted, but thanks for the poll post!

This tweet and picture made me smile. 10 years later and Paula is still a big supporter of Kelly.

@StarletonEnt What a fun night! A week ago we were shaking it up after the Hollywood Bowl.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

This would definitely be interesting...

Oh No They Didn't! - Alanis to join American Idol?

Old 09-04-2012, 06:54 AM
Obsessed Fan

Happy Anniversary to Kelly!! It's been exactly 10 years since she won Idol!

Old 09-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkellyx (View Post)
I love the OP!

I was just watching some of her old performances on yt and this one will always be my favorite.

Yes indeed, my all time favourite Kelly moment...love the song very very much. Her idol performances have always been my favourites...like them better than anything she has ever done since because you could hear the passion...so heart felt. She didn't sing as well in the old days, but to me it doesn't matter, she had something very very special. With the studio records it is not the same...all so polished.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread