Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

haha they should have let her through! but she should put on a voice because a) im pretty sure they would all turn around, b) they'd probably know her voice. that would be hilarious to see though!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie (View Post)
haha they should have let her through! but she should put on a voice because a) im pretty sure they would all turn around, b) they'd probably know her voice. that would be hilarious to see though!
Though one thing that did get me thinking was one of the guys had a really similar voice to someone, Gavin Degraw maybe? And that actually prevented Adam from turning around because he couldn't hear something different in the voice? Something along those lines. So maybe someone wouldn't turn around because they would be like, "well, that girl sounds exactly like Kelly Clarkson!"

I think rewatching the Idol performances as a board would be fun. I have all of them on my iTunes, but it's just the audio... I know I have some videos, but I don't think all of them.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Though one thing that did get me thinking was one of the guys had a really similar voice to someone, Gavin Degraw maybe? And that actually prevented Adam from turning around because he couldn't hear something different in the voice? Something along those lines. So maybe someone wouldn't turn around because they would be like, "well, that girl sounds exactly like Kelly Clarkson!"
That would be hilarious.

Quote:
I think rewatching the Idol performances as a board would be fun. I have all of them on my iTunes, but it's just the audio... I know I have some videos, but I don't think all of them.
I think I have most of them. Should we do this in order and start with the very first one? Or do it random?

Old 03-15-2012, 06:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I'm bringing it in here.

Is Kelly Clarkson Reality TV’s New Secret Weapon? | Reality Rocks - Yahoo! Music

Quote:
The rivalry between "American Idol" and "The Voice" has been heating up ever since Randy Jackson dissed the show as a gimmicky "Star Trek" ripoff and "Idol" producer Nigel Lythgoe claimed that "The Voice" didn't have great talent. But that rivalry reached a whole new level this week when Kelly Clarkson, arguably one of THE greatest talents ever found by "American Idol," made her debut as a mentor on "The Voice" this week--a major coup and torch-passing moment for "The Voice," a show that is steadily overtaking "Idol" in the ratings. And now there's a another show entering the reality TV fray, as it's just been announced that Kelly, in addition to her current "Voice" stint on NBC, has just signed on for ABC's "Duets," yet another talent-search program (which will also star Season 2 "Voice" mentors Lionel Richie and Robin Thicke). Yes, "The Voice's" Battle Rounds may have started this week, but it seems like the real battle is between all these singing shows, with Kelly serving as this reality war's own Helen of Troy.

Of course, this is hardly the first example of cross-reality-show-pollination in recent TV memory. Season 2 "Voice" mentor Jewel recently starred on Bravo's "Platinum Hit" alongside ex-"Idol" judge Kara DioGuardi, and yet another new "Voice" mentor, Alanis Morissette, dueted with runner-up Josh Krajcik on last year's "X Factor" finale. (Kelly performed on "The X Factor" last year as well.) Additionally, three different "Idol" breakout stars--Jennifer Hudson, Jordin Sparks, and Adam Lambert--were all guest mentors on The Hub's underage singing competition "Majors & Minors" last year. But the original Idol's ship-jumping from "Idol"--the show that kickstarted her career, and frankly, kickstarted this whole singing competition craze--to two of Fox's new major-network rival series is certainly interesting. I imagine Nigel Lythgoe must not be thrilled.

But in a way, "The Voice" and "Duets" recruiting Kelly is the ultimate flattery to "Idol." Ironically, it's sort of an acknowledgment that "Idol" paved the way for these other shows, thanks to established pop stars like Kelly, who is still churning out hits nearly 10 years after becoming the first "Idol" champion. Nigel has frequently, gloatingly pointed out that "Idol" is the only reality singing competition with a consistent track record of producing platinum-selling superstars, and the fact that "The Voice" and "Duets" wanted Kelly is certainly proof of that. Conversely, it's difficult to imagine that "Idol" or, say, "The X Factor" would ever consider having Season 1 "Voice" winner Javier Colon, whose album sadly stalled at number 134 on the Billboard charts, ever appear in any way on those shows. "The X Factor's" Melanie Amaro probably wouldn't ever get an opportunity to be on "The Voice," either. Just sayin'.

Of course, maybe the fact that other shows' contestants have, so far, not broken out the way "Idol's" have is THERE ARE JUST TOO MANY DANG SINGING SHOWS NOW. The marketplace is obviously diluted. But that's clearly not bothering Kelly, who seems happy to sign up for shows that are, honestly, looking for The Next Kelly. So, will we ever see a "Duets" winner appear on "Idol," or "The Voice," or any other similar singing show? My guess is no. After all, there can only be ONE Kelly--and "The Voice" and "Duets" are certainly lucky to have her now.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Obsessed Fan

Apparently American Idol used "You Found Me" for its Ford Commercial this week. Random choice, but definitely fun.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Definitely random, but still very cool. I love when they reach out to Kelly songs for the new seasons.

Thanks for the video!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Master Fan

I follow Nigel Lythgoe, producer and judge of SYTYCD. He's also the producer of Idol. He tweeted this today:

Quote:
Nigel Lythgoe ‏ @dizzyfeet
I love the Gotye song. It makes a great duet on #AmericanIdol this week. How wonderful and ironic that we're doing 2 Kelly Clarkson tracks!
Great that there are two Kelly tracks, but what does he mean ironic?
RK EB LP BR KP
Old 04-11-2012, 06:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm not exactly sure by what he means with "ironic" either. But it's great that they're using Kelly songs. Then again, I'm always torn when they use Kelly songs, because I rarely feel like they do it justice.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Fan

Remember To Breathe

idol setlist for tonight
Old 04-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Obsessed Fan

That's a pretty awesome set list! Too bad I can't watch idol.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Pink and 2 Kelly Clarkson songs.

Did anyone watch it? Did they perform them well?

Old 04-14-2012, 12:43 PM
New Fan

I didn't really care for Skylar and Colton's performance and Stronger I thought was okay but I personally couldn't take Joshua's voice on some parts.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:19 PM
Obsessed Fan

Yeah, just watched those performances yesterday. Can't say I'm impressed... I haven't been watching this season at all (don't have TV hooked up at the house). I like the exposure of people covering her songs, but I also don't like it, because so often people do not do the song justice. Don't You Wanna Stay was better than Stronger though...
Old 04-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Just watched those. Can't say I'm impressed either. I was actually hoping for better performances.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

'American Idol' Recap: Playing Favorites | Hollywood.com

'American Idol' Recap: Playing Favorites
By Kate Ward , Hollywood.com Staff | Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Quote:
Over the course of its 11 seasons, American Idol has produced a healthy supply of classic Idols. I’m not talking about the Carrie Underwoods or Jennifer Hudsons, superstars who, during their tenure on the show, only teased their future abilities, making us unsure as to whether they actually did have a shot to become an A-lister after the glitz of reality TV wore off. I’m talking about the classic Idols who not only accumulated an overzealous fanbase, but also managed to make an already addictive Idol even more intriguing, no matter their success level following the show. I’m referring Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken, Ruben Studdard, Fantasia, Bo Bice, David Cook, Kris Allen, Adam Lambert, Haley Reinhart, and, yes, I’d even say Blake Lewis, who revolutionized the series in ways no one gave him credit for. (No one truly made any song, as Randy would say, his or her own until Blake beat-boxed his way into our hearts, and then into obscurity, during Season 6.)

These Idols might not have been the most successful to grace the stage (Kelly withstanding), but they certainly were the most entertaining. They blew us away with their passion and talent, and drew us in even further with intriguing personalities. If we brought this to a rank, they might very well make up my Top 10, if we’re solely counting entertainment value on the Idol stage. So it’s surprising to hear the judges’ panel rank Joshua Ledet as one of the two best Idols of all time, when I’d be hard pressed to find him a spot in the Top 20.

(...)

Closed Thread   Post New Thread