Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2016, 03:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

that youtube account has many Kelly vids online, the quality was pretty good! Liked her performances!

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
Old 11-29-2016, 03:05 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Exactly why I presumed they would be good . Glad they were & were good performances I wonder if she got to say anything on the program too, or did it have that in the video/s?

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 11-29-2016, 07:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

That's amazing. Thanks for the link!
Old 11-30-2016, 04:13 AM
Fan Forum Star

Nope no interview bits Chelle!

Seems like she's doing some press for the Hamilton mixtape

Quote:
Kelly Clarkson talks about her 'most beautiful' 'Hamilton' song, Mike Pence

One day after Lin-Manuel Miranda revealed the track list for 'The Hamilton Mixtape,' Atlantic Records released two of the new songs and announced an official release date: Dec. 2.

Kelly Clarkson remembers exactly where she was the first time she heard It's Quiet Uptown.

"It was 3 in the morning and I was bawling in my closet," she says of the gut-wrenching song, written by Lin-Manuel Miranda for his Broadway phenomenon Hamilton. The singer covers the number on the Tony Award-winning musical's star-studded companion album, The Hamilton Mixtape (out Friday).

Uptown is sung late in the founding fathers "hip-hopera" as Alexander and Eliza Hamilton (spoiler alert!) grieve the loss of their son. Understandably, it struck an emotional chord for Clarkson, 34, who is a new mom to son Remington (7 months) and daughter River (2).

She tells USA TODAY about her spin on the fan favorite and what she makes of Vice President-elect Mike Pence's recent trip to the sold-out smash:

Q: So when did you see Hamilton?

A: I actually saw it after I recorded the song. I was literally only two weeks from giving birth when I recorded it and I was like, "Oh, my gosh, this is the most beautiful thing ever." But I was sobbing, because I was pregnant with my son. I knew there was a loss of a son in the musical, so I took that pretty hard.

Q: How did you set out to make It's Quiet Uptown your own?

A: (In the musical), there's three singers on it. So when (Miranda) sent it to me, I was like, "Great, who am I? ... Let me try to do it as a solo and see how it plays out."

(Atlantic Records chairman Craig Kallman) basically said, "What would your play be on it if you did something a little more pop, but it still had that theatrical edge to it?" ... We kept saying, "Think black and white, walking around the city on the saddest day ever, but maybe there's a light at the end of the tunnel." So you're kind of going off all these poetic things.

Q: If you could have recorded any other song from Hamilton, what would it have been?

A: I secretly love rapping, because I just love the tongue-twister aspect of it. So I would've loved to have sang — for fun, not for real — My Shot. That's such a cool song. I love Burn, too. Andra Day did such a great job with that (on the mixtape). It is frickin' ridiculous, it's so perfect for her voice.

Q: What did you make of the cast's speech to Mike Pence and Donald Trump's demand for an apology?

A: Here's the thing: That's the great thing about our country. I watched (the speech) and thought they did it in a tasteful way. That's what the musical's about — you can't come to a political musical and not expect some reaction. (In the 1700s), the country was divided and the country is divided now, so there are a lot of parallels.

I'm not a supporter by any means of Mike Pence, but I did think he handled that well (when he) said, "Hey, that's what freedom sounds like." I'm not a Pence fan, but I'm a fan of that.

Kelly Clarkson talks about her 'most beautiful' 'Hamilton' song, Mike Pence

Quote:
Kelly Clarkson: Hamilton Mixtape was 'literally the hardest thing I've ever done in the studio'

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: How did you get involved with The Hamilton Mixtape?
KELLY CLARKSON: I was in my last month of pregnancy, and I had just – literally just – signed with Atlantic Records. [Atlantic Records Chairman & CEO Craig Kallman] said, “Oh my gosh, I have this amazing idea. I know you haven’t seen this musical, but we’re doing this whole mixtape idea with all these artists…” And I was like, “Well, I love musicals, so just send it to me.”

I hadn’t seen [Hamilton], hadn’t heard anyone talk about it because where I live [in Nashville], nobody had seen it. He sent the song to me at like 1 a.m., and I sent an email back to him with a lot of expletives! I was so angry, because I was pregnant with my son, and it’s all about their son dying. And I didn’t really know the situation, so I didn’t know if it was a baby, I didn’t know what it was. I was a complete mess, but I was like, “It’s beautiful. I’ll try and do it, but I can’t promise you I can get through the dang thing.” We ended up recording it that next week, and so I recorded it before [seeing the musical].

What did you think when you first heard it?
It was so interesting, because there’s actually three characters that sing the song [Alexander Hamilton, his wife Eliza, and his sister-in-law Angelica Schuyler]. I was like, “Which one am I?” And [Kallman] was like, “Well, try it as a solo first.”

When we were recording it, we were just trying to be creative and fun, trying to make it a little more pop, because that’s what they were wanting, [to make it] different from the musical, but still keeping to its classic nature. We had no idea the gravity of [the song], which I’m glad about, because that would have been a lot of pressure.

I see how “It’s Quiet Uptown” could be confusing if you haven’t seen the show, because it doesn’t say what actually happened to Phillip, just that Hamilton and Eliza are “going through the unimaginable.”
That’s what I’m saying! So “the unimaginable” in my head, I’m like about to pop with my baby, and I’m terrified of a miscarriage at this point because I have friends that have had them – and it’s a possibility, even that far into your pregnancy. And I’m having a son [too]! It was really hardcore, emotional hell for me.

And then they were like, “Oh man, can’t wait to hear you perform this live!” And I’m like, “Oh, guys.” I mean, I think you only get one time on television a year that you can break down crying in a song, and I already did that with “Piece by Piece” on American Idol. If you know the scenario from the musical, [the song] is hard to swallow. But if you don’t, you have no idea what “the unimaginable” is! It’s horrendous, obviously. The melancholy state of the entire song is pretty intense.

Did you end up feeling like you were singing it more as Eliza or Angelica?
I think I felt like him. I didn’t really know all the characters very well, but when he was like, “I would switch places, I would do anything for you to still be alive and me not to be,” that’s what I related to. That one line hook, line, and sinkered me. Well, sinkered isn’t a word.

What aspect of the song was most difficult to “get”?
I cannot express enough how many times I had to sing this song. It was the hardest thing to sing. I was just so emotional. The “forgiveness” part was pretty dang hard. Or the switching places line: “I would trade his life for mine.” Like, what? Like I said, I was pregnant with my son, and I didn’t know what [Hamilton’s] situation was – I didn’t know it was an older son. So in my mind, obviously, you read a book and filter it how you do, you listen to a song and filter it how it affects your life, so it was so hard. It was literally the hardest thing I’ve ever done in the studio.

What was your experience like finally seeing Hamilton?
My husband and I just flew in and out of New York to see it. I wanted to see it because I thought, “This is a really weird thing to be a part of and not have seen it.” [My husband] Brandon got tickets from Craig and surprised me. It was so sad [though] because it was the day after Lin stopped doing it. The night before was his last night. We were like, “Oh my god, are you serious?” But honestly, the guy that replaced him, Javier [Muñoz], was also the one I saw in In the Heights, because my friend Jordin Sparks was in that one. So I was like, “Wait, I love this guy.”

Had you met Lin before at least?
No, but he sent me the loveliest email. I live in Nashville, so I don’t really meet anyone. [Laughs] But his email after he heard my version was so nice, just saying hello and he can’t wait for us to meet in person. As a writer myself, I imagine asking these artists to do their own take on it can be very difficult. That’s his baby, you know? [But] he was so excited and flattered. I was like, “Are you kidding? I can’t wait to meet you just to say I have!” He’s this revolutionary guy!

When I said yes, I had no idea what I was saying yes to. But what it’s turned into has just been this crazy fan thing. The amount I get tweeted about it is insane!

Has it been overwhelming?
Oh yeah! I’m so glad I had no idea going in, because I would have felt a lot more pressure. We were just doing it because it was fun. We thought, “Okay, they’re wanting to modernize it, take it a little out of the Broadway element because we’re not onstage.” It would have been a lot different if I had known how crazy-popular this thing is. I’m so glad I was in pregnant-world.

It’s amazing, too, what Lin did. This whole idea of his brought artists [together] that would never be on the same album, unless it was one of those NOW ones or whatever. So it’s amazing how many artists, how many different walks of life are affected by it. And we’re all from different backgrounds, different genres, everything! That’s pretty powerful for Lin.

Kelly Clarkson: Hamilton Mixtape was 'hardest thing I've ever done' | EW.com

Old 11-30-2016, 08:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

Glad she has a drive to challenge herself and push on.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Kelly is part of the artists at the National Tree Lightning event

2016 National Christmas Tree Lighting Performers | National Christmas Tree Lighting

Airs December 5th on hallmark channel
Another thing to look forward to!

She's out and about a lot lately

Old 12-02-2016, 10:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

Kelly is part of the artists at the National Tree Lightning event

2016 National Christmas Tree Lighting Performers | National Christmas Tree Lighting

Airs December 5th on hallmark channel
Another thing to look forward to!

She's out and about a lot lately

Old 12-02-2016, 07:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Wonderful news!!
Old 12-03-2016, 03:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah can't wait to see that..I love that she loves christmas so much!

She's added Hunter Hayes to her Miracle on Broadway show

Old 12-03-2016, 09:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

I like Hunter.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm not too familiair with him, he's not that known in Holland

A small ad that includes Kelly

\

ETA:

Quote:
Today Show!! #HamiltonMixTape ....apparently I'm gonna cry every time I'm on national television ������
Oh she's crying, she must have been emotional. I so wanna watch it now!!!
Hope the video is online soon!

ETA #2:

watching it now

Last edited by heartღaflutter; 12-05-2016 at 07:45 AM
Old 12-05-2016, 07:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Pentatonix!! Love the band. Thanks for bringing that over!
Old 12-06-2016, 03:18 AM
Fan Forum Star

You're welcome! She's doing a lot of performances now! I am loving it because I love hearing her sing live!

Also from yesterday's Today show

and her interview from that show

and a radio interview

Old 12-06-2016, 07:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Beautiful.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

and she's nominated for a Grammy! Congrats to Kelly!

Watch Kelly Clarkson's Reaction to Finding Out About Her Grammy Nomination | Billboard

and her National Christmas Tree Lighting Performances:

Last edited by heartღaflutter; 12-07-2016 at 02:57 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread