Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2014, 08:06 PM
Elite Fan

Sabrina - I don't think I could see it at all of them, but I'll try my best!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

I might have to make a trip to New York in order to see it. We shall see.

I don't think I will be able to go to LA for the premiere or else I wouldn't be so worried.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:49 PM
Elite Fan

I'll be mad if it's not within a reasonable time frame of the cinematic release.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:48 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrocurl (View Post)
Sabrina - I don't think I could see it at all of them, but I'll try my best!
Way to go!

Hope you'll be able to make that trip Jasmine. You're in Toronto right now, correct? Is it possible to drive to NY from there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherwise
I'll be mad if it's not within a reasonable time frame of the cinematic release.
Me too, They mentioned they're still planning on that "couple of days" on Twitter yesterday, so that sounds good.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:23 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

oh good, I'd take that
and I will never be captive, or hostage, or confined.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 01-31-2014, 07:57 AM
Dedicated Fan

sadly I cant expect to see it at all given where im living....so I dont know how I will be able to see it!!! im sadly hoping someone will post it illegally somewhere...but i feel bad cause I want to contribute. to the paying to go see it...but I WILL buy the movie on DVD!!!!
Old 02-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Music
Alias

Update!
Quote:
Dear Backers,

Earlier this week, I promised you a longer update. Here goes.

The MTV Movie Brawl: Nailed It.
Last week, I sent you an update about Veronica's against-all-odds performance in MTV's Movie Brawl, a tournament that asks fans to select the Most Anticipated Movie of the Year. At the time, I wondered whether we'd be able to survive the semi-finals, where we were getting thrashed by a film called The Maze Runner, so I issued a friendly challenge: help us raise awareness of our movie by voting.

Gang, I'll be honest: for a moment, I forgot what happens when we give you a challenge.

On Wednesday afternoon, Veronica Mars – the film you got made – was named as MTV's Most Anticipated Movie of 2014.

We don't have official numbers, but we do know that over 40,000,000 votes were cast just in the final round. And while I'm not sure what we actually win, I'm choosing to believe that this will translate directly to box office gross. I'll never know -- and probably don't want to know -- how we got over 20,000,000 votes in 72 hours, but I know what it means: we have the most unstoppable fans in the world.

You'll be happy to know that Jason and Ryan took the competition just as seriously as you did:

Training - MTV Movie Brawl - YouTube
The Movie: Just About Finished.
It's been almost two months since I gave you an update about progress on the movie itself, so here's some good news: we are very, very close to having a finished movie. And that's a good thing, because our goal is to lock down the final version of the movie in about ten days.

At this point, the picture has already been locked, which means that we're no longer reviewing different takes, or changing the actual footage that you'll see on screen. Instead, Daniel Gabbe (our editor) and I have spent most of January sequestered on a soundstage in the Technicolor building with a team of highly-trained audio professionals, finishing the sound mix for the film.

The first step in that process was ADR (additional dialogue recording). Over the last few weeks, most of our cast have stopped in to record loop lines. Basically, this is a process that involves watching the same scene half a dozen times, and then recording new sound for any lines of dialogue that aren't working just right.

There are a lot of reasons you can end up needing ADR. Sometimes you decide to add a funny line spoken by an actor who is off camera. Maybe you couldn't get clearance for a specific cultural reference. Maybe you decide that a line would be even more impactful if the line were read a little bit differently. And a lot of times, you just need a "clean" recording, because a dog barked during a take, or a plane flew by, or a car horn honked. Whatever the reason, the process is the same: the actor sits in front of a microphone, performing a line of dialogue a dozen different ways, so that we have more choices during the final edit. But here's the irony: if we all do our jobs well, it will be impossible for you to tell that we've done anything at all.

Here's proof that it happened, though, taken during one of Kristen's sessions.

After finishing ADR, we turned our attention to the final sound mix: a painstaking process of re-watching each scene in the movie until the dialogue, sound effects and music are balanced exactly how we want them. This results in 20 minute discussions about whether a footstep sounds loud enough, or if a music cue should end 1/20th of a second earlier. We've got just a week or two left until we finish the mix and lock the audio.

The Rating: PG-13. Probably.
As we finish up the final sound mix on the movie, I can also finally answer another common question: we expect the final rating for Veronica Mars to be PG-13. We received a lot of messages making it clear that many of you want to be able to experience this movie with kids, younger siblings, or friends who look too young to get into R rated movies.

Before anyone asks, rest assured that going with PG-13 didn't require any major compromises to my vision for the movie. It did require us to record two new loop lines in ADR to replace jokes that the MPAA wanted changed to keep us out of an R rating. It also meant that we had to be more selective with our limited allocation of F-bombs. (We get one. We hope you believe we used it wisely.)

These are sacrifices we were willing to make for you.

The "Spin-Off" Web Series: Happening, but not just yet.
About two weeks ago, The CW announced during the TCA Press Tour that we'll be developing a "Veronica Mars spin-off" web series for their online channel, CW Seed. Many of you wrote in asking if it was true, and whether I could to share more details. The answers to your questions, in order, are "Yes" (it's true) and "Umm, Not Really?" (because there aren't more details yet).

Here's what I can tell you:

We have reached a deal to produce a comedy web series for CW Seed, which both is and isn't a spin-off of Veronica Mars. It's more of a spin-off about a spin-off.
The basic idea is that Ryan Hansen will play a version of himself, as he tries to put together a Dick Casablancas-centric television spin-off, calling on his pals from Veronica Mars, Party Down and beyond to help him get the show off the ground. For the most part, I would expect that these friends will also be playing versions of themselves.
We're not talking about a full-length series, here. We still need to figure out the specifics, but we're probably looking at 8 or so webisodes, lasting 5-10 minutes each.
I'm going to beg Rob Thomas to play me in the spin-off. The other Rob Thomas. The slimmer, better-looking, more talented one. (But does he know how to use a semi-colon? Because I do.)
We probably won't even be able to start working on the web series until after the movie comes out, so I can't begin to guess when this whole thing will get released. I just know that we'll get the chance to make it, you'll get the chance to see it, and that we're all excited to have an excuse to keep working together.
Speaking of the CW...
...you might have also seen an announcement earlier this week that the CW has ordered a pilot episode of a new show I've been developing called iZombie, which is based on an excellent series of comics from Vertigo. I wrote the pilot with Diane Ruggiero, who was a writer on Veronica Mars and my co-writer on the screenplay for the movie, and I've tricked my long-time producing partners, Dan Etheridge and Danielle Stokdyk, into overseeing yet another project with me.

I should point out that a "pilot order" is exactly that: the CW liked our script, and gave us the go-ahead to produce a pilot episode for the series. This is a good development, but it's still not a guarantee that we'll end up on television. Each year, the networks commission up to a dozen new pilots, but only a few of them receive a series order. So while I'm excited, this doesn't mean that I've got a new television series... yet.

What it does mean is that I'll no longer be able to take a few days off when we finish work on Veronica Mars and lock it down next week, since we've already started working on casting, locations, and a million other details that need to be worked out in order to produce the pilot. We'll begin shooting in late March, probably just days after the movie is released in theaters.

---

There's more to share, but I think that's enough excitement for one update, so I'll save some of it for next week.

Enjoy your weekend, gang.

Rob
and I will never be captive, or hostage, or confined.
- icon - k-pop - Dave
Old 02-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Elite Fan

Good to know it's nearly all done and ready to go.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:14 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmidalaEmma (View Post)
sadly I cant expect to see it at all given where im living....so I dont know how I will be able to see it!!! im sadly hoping someone will post it illegally somewhere...but i feel bad cause I want to contribute. to the paying to go see it...but I WILL buy the movie on DVD!!!!
That makes a whole lot of sense to me so see if you can write/tweet Rob about this. They might offer an option in case they get multiple requests.

So excited the movie is almost done!
Old 02-02-2014, 12:04 PM
Dedicated Fan

if every fan voted 10 times, then there were roughly 2 million fans voting. I myself only voted about 5 times. and I am a pretty hardcore fan I should tthink..although I am not inclining towards a continuation of the series, so in this regard I may differ from the average fan who voted. (therefore I may have voted less than most who did). But i wanted to see VM win just for the notoriety and satisfaction, because what really matters when getting a second movie is how well it does at the box office (wish i could pay and see it in the USA).

as for tweeting Rob Thomas...what could that do do you think, Sabrina?
I mean, I know that Warner Bro's main need is money, would they make much money in an international release? therefore, is it worth it for them? I wish! but i live in Russia right now, I doubt it would ever come here In English by March!

i love Robs messages about the process of making the film...I've always enjoyed the insight into film creation that his backer emails give. As for the rating, good that its PG 13 so more people can see it even though I would have preferred rated R for my own desire for violence and swearing and other baser things,, so i'm also glad to hear that its pushing its way towards being rated R but just made it to PG 13.

Last edited by AmidalaEmma; 02-02-2014 at 12:11 PM
Old 02-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

I saw a post about this on Tumblr- it's important to keep in mind that we WANT expectations to remain fairly low and even for theaters to remain somewhat limited, especially the first time out of the gate. I know it's a bummer for those who don't have a theater close to them- I'd be going insane, lol. But I also don't want this film to EVER be considered a flop. We weren't a high ratings show and this film wasn't made on a big budget. I want it to exceed expectations so we have the chance for more, not bomb.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:06 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmidalaEmma (View Post)
as for tweeting Rob Thomas...what could that do do you think, Sabrina?
I mean, I know that Warner Bro's main need is money, would they make much money in an international release? therefore, is it worth it for them? I wish! but i live in Russia right now, I doubt it would ever come here In English by March!
You are a backer but didn't choose the package with the digital download, correct? Perhaps you could ask for an option to buy the digital download after it's released? I agree the chances of it getting released in Russia are sadly slim (just like over here ), but it'd be great if you could at least get the digital download, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristofle
I saw a post about this on Tumblr- it's important to keep in mind that we WANT expectations to remain fairly low and even for theaters to remain somewhat limited, especially the first time out of the gate. I know it's a bummer for those who don't have a theater close to them- I'd be going insane, lol. But I also don't want this film to EVER be considered a flop. We weren't a high ratings show and this film wasn't made on a big budget. I want it to exceed expectations so we have the chance for more, not bomb.
Agreed. I'm also secretly hoping 'more' will be more TV episodes. Another movie would be great too, but I think VM worked best as a TV show, though I obviously haven't seen the movie yet.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:05 PM
Elite Fan

At this point I don't know what Warners expects for a box office return. I know they'll want something back for the marketing campaign, but they're not the ones who financed most of the production (I assume that they helped with anything that went over the money we donated). Right now I think it's important if you can see it in a theatre to do it that way, especially since not everyone can.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Gang,

There’s a lot left to do this week, so I’ll get right to the point.

We’ve now got less than 40 days left until Veronica Mars hits theaters, and our cast and crew couldn’t be more excited. With the MTV Movie Brawl behind us, we wanted to give you something else to look forward to, and we think we’ve found a good solution.

A few updates back, I mentioned that the team at @NeptuneRising have put together a schedule to re-watch the entire series before the film is released, and have been encouraging fans to join them in “live-tweeting” and discussing one episode each night at 8pm EST / 5pm PST.

Well, once that happened, I started getting messages from our team, asking if it would be OK to join in. And I thought that sounded like a great idea, so…

Starting tonight, some of the Veronica Mars cast and team will join fans to live-tweet selected episodes, and stick around afterwards for a little bit of Q&A.
Last-minute changes are always possible, but as of now, here’s the current schedule:

This week:
Feb 3: PERCY DAGGS (@PDaggsIII), for Episode 2x12, Rashard & Wallace Go To White Castle.
Feb 4: AMANDA NORET (@amanda_noret), for Episode 2x13, Ain’t No Magic Mountain High Enough.
Feb 7: DARAN NORRIS (@golfstoomuch), for Episode 2x16, The Rapes of Graff.
After that:
Feb 17: RYAN HANSEN (@HiRyanHansen), for Episode 3x4, Charlie Don’t Surf.
Feb 21: DIANE RUGGIERO (@rugz19), for Episode 3x8, Lord of the Pis.
Feb 26: JASON DOHRING (@jason_dohring), for Episode 3x13, Postgame Mortem.
Feb 27: BRANDON HILLOCK (@fanboybrandon), for Episode 3x14, Mars, Bars.
Mar 2: DAN ETHERIDGE (@danetheridge), for Episode 3x17 Debasement Tapes.
Mar 4: FRANCIS CAPRA (@franciscapra), for Episode 3x19, Weevils Wobble But They Don’t Go Down.
Mar 5: JOSH KRAMON (@JoshKramonMusic), for Episode 3x20, The Bitch Is Back.
Want to join in?
Make sure you’ve got the day’s episode cued up and ready to watch (e.g. on DVD, Amazon, iTunes, wherever).
Be sure you’re following @VeronicaMars, @NeptuneRising and the special guest on Twitter.
Open your web browser to http://bit.ly/VM-Rewatch, or use your Twitter app to search for #VeronicaMarsRewatch.
Just after 8pm EST / 5pm PST, @NeptuneRising will send a tweet telling you to start the episode.
As you watch, join in the conversation by adding #VeronicaMarsRewatch to all of your tweets, so everyone else will see them.
If you’ve got a question, ask anytime during the day of the rewatch, and include @veronicamars and #AskVM.
More news later this week.

Rob
Old 02-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Elite Fan

That's such a fun idea. At annoying times for me, but still fun.