Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPA (View Post)
Totally concur, Covington. It still baffles me that the writers/creator(s) went in that direction after the careful 4-year build-up. Still boggles my mind. Thanx for visiting us, Covington. Hope to see you more often in our little corner of the world!!
Oh I've been here before...............formerly genki (shu). I've been a long time LL shipper and what the show did back in S6 and 7 really irritated me, but I just chalk it up to the insanity complex writers go through. I'll def try to stop by more. I miss catching up on all the scott news.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Loyal Fan

Yes, I agree. They needed a way to split them up, to drag out that story, or spice it up or something. But it was the wrong thing to do and I think it hurt the show a big. It didn't seem to make sense to me that Lorelei would throw away the relationship with
Luke because he did that one thing of not telling her about April. She was always hiding her meetings with Christopher from him, even though she said she wouldn't. After their breakup at the parents vow renewal, she swore she was "done" with her mother. That didn't last long. She chose that relationship over her life with Luke, again this seemed forced to me. Like the writers wanted more Friday night dinner scenes and the drama that always wound up happening, that was great stuff, but meanwhile... How did Luke feel about that? When she accepted Chris's proposal, I don't feel like she would have done that either. She just stopped loving Luke because of that? Didn't make sense to me. No one "got" her like Luke did, definitely not Chris.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Obsessed Fan

Honestly, I don't think she stopped loving Luke. I think she felt that Luke had checked out of the relationship and she wanted to feel wanted.

There is a line that she said to Chris, that at first I didn't like. But, now I look at it a different way.

She said to Chris, "You're the one I want to want. To me that means. It would be so much easier for her to move on from Luke if Chris was truly the one she wanted. But, since he wasn't, she couldn't pretend anymore.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:20 PM
New Fan

Yes, I agree with all of you, and for those of us that have had/have a Luke type guy in our lives, you can't jump ship on that kind of relationship, it's worth fighting for! The writer's needed to show them fighting for each other amongst all the drama AROUND them, rather than making them the catalyst for the drama..uhhh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPO (View Post)
Yes, I agree. They needed a way to split them up, to drag out that story, or spice it up or something. But it was the wrong thing to do and I think it hurt the show a big. It didn't seem to make sense to me that Lorelei would throw away the relationship with
Luke because he did that one thing of not telling her about April. She was always hiding her meetings with Christopher from him, even though she said she wouldn't. After their breakup at the parents vow renewal, she swore she was "done" with her mother. That didn't last long. She chose that relationship over her life with Luke, again this seemed forced to me. Like the writers wanted more Friday night dinner scenes and the drama that always wound up happening, that was great stuff, but meanwhile... How did Luke feel about that? When she accepted Chris's proposal, I don't feel like she would have done that either. She just stopped loving Luke because of that? Didn't make sense to me. No one "got" her like Luke did, definitely not Chris.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu1960 (View Post)
Honestly, I don't think she stopped loving Luke. I think she felt that Luke had checked out of the relationship and she wanted to feel wanted.

There is a line that she said to Chris, that at first I didn't like. But, now I look at it a different way.

She said to Chris, "You're the one I want to want. To me that means. It would be so much easier for her to move on from Luke if Chris was truly the one she wanted. But, since he wasn't, she couldn't pretend anymore.
I don't think she stopped loving luke, but I do think she was unreasonable. I don't know maybe its cause of being a parent, I always thought it was ridiculous that they didn't give luke a pov in the back half of season 6 and that Lorelai actually believed he didn't love her. It was just all around stupidity.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:12 PM
SPA
Master Fan

Shu, not only unreasonable, but also unrecognizable. This is not the woman that we grew to love beginning in 2000. Wear was her heart? Where was her compassion? Luke's as well. Everybody knows that Lorelai is a diva -- she wants things her way; and she will grumble like crazy when things aren't her way (but never devious to obstruct). To me, her actions in Season 6 alone is enough for anyone to question if she truly loved Luke -- or did she just use him as an escape from being hurt by Rory? Again,......unrecognizable. We all want to say that she never fell out of love with Luke, and there's argument for that as well. I can see good causes to believe either way.
I'm always in Scott's corner.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Shu, not only unreasonable, but also unrecognizable. This is not the woman that we grew to love beginning in 2000. Wear was her heart? Where was her compassion? Luke's as well. Everybody knows that Lorelai is a diva -- she wants things her way; and she will grumble like crazy when things aren't her way (but never devious to obstruct). To me, her actions in Season 6 alone is enough for anyone to question if she truly loved Luke -- or did she just use him as an escape from being hurt by Rory? Again,......unrecognizable. We all want to say that she never fell out of love with Luke, and there's argument for that as well. I can see good causes to believe either way.
You're right. I hate what they did to their story and journey in s6. It was so unnecessary, but in retrospect I prefer to focus on the good because to me that outweighed the stupid OOC stuff.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks SPA!:)

Thanks, SPA-I MOST DEFINITELY will keep posting away 2 get 2 that 1,001th post & get my 3rd star hehe

And in regards to Loreali being far less mature than Luke-I can honestly say that I agree-while I do think her quirkiness is kinda funny, I also admit that it can be a bit annoying at times & IMHO I think that Luke is the more mature one, and I admire that wisdom, a quality of his that makes Luke even more of a 'dream man' to me, and I think many others, too. I think that part of Loreali's immaturity has to do with the fact that she became a mom at young age and was overwhelmed by the responsibility of being a parent after being raised in what we would expect to be such a rigid, strict and protective environment, and she wanted to change that in her parenting style with Rory by implementing a style of her own, more eccentric approach-and not to say all young moms don't mature fast-in many ways too fast in Loreali's case, and I definitely think her character has many positive qualities-I really admire her independence and self-reliance and she can 'hold her own'when it comes to defending herself with her over-bearing mother, which I'm sure wasn't easy to grow up with and I understand why she wanted to take a different approach with Rory, plus she proved she could get things done((with the Dragonfly Inn, for example))and make it on her own but I kinda felt that she had more of an older sister type of relationship with Rory than a Mom one...How old was Loreali when she had Rory?...I would have 2 guess about 16 or 17 b/c I remember Loreali saying she put school on hold to care for Rory or something to that affect it could have been college though I may be mistaken...And when Rory was at Yale Loreali looked to be in her mid-thirties...I think I better watch Season One LOL
Quote:
SPFan -- 3 stars for you at 1001 -- from a "Dedicated" to a "Loyal Fan" -- Keep posting girl!!

I've been thinking of the reality of the relationship between Luke and Lorelai. They both had quirks but I think Lorelai had way more. I think Luke was older, in age and in wisdom); and I think that Lorelai acted way too child-like. If my mother talked like that when I was in high school or college, we would have to sit down and have a serious talk.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Lorelai had Rory at 16.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:58 AM
Dedicated Fan

Loreali on GG:)

Thanks Covington!I kinda thought Loreali was most likely 16 when she had Rory
Quote:
Originally Posted by covington (View Post)
Lorelai had Rory at 16.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:42 AM
Obsessed Fan

Lorelai went to HS for as long as she could while pregnant with Rory, then got her GED (From the episode One Has Class...)
Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Lorelai eventually went back and finished community college. I thought her character made sense till the stupidity from s6. They just turned LL into two people I didn't recognize.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:12 AM
SPA
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by covington (View Post)
Lorelai eventually went back and finished community college. I thought her character made sense till the stupidity from s6. They just turned LL into two people I didn't recognize.
And I agree with this. I was thinking this morning on the way to work. Maybe the Season 6 of Lorelai was her "breakdown" -- everything she had managed to accomplish since "the day that strip turned pink" was amazing feats. She did exceptionally well for her and Rory -- however what did not go smoothly was her relationships with the opposite sex. Very young to come up with those types of decisions and feels and to keep them intact for 20 years, almost without change -- and change, I mean, change from her views of Christopher at the age of 16/17. Having said this, Luke was a pillar of strength -- she admits it many times (as well as implied). She thought she was handling her little girl growing (all grown) up and making her own decisions (and mistakes) and that her parenting was "done" -- but she missed Rory, and she really didn't like that she was living with Richard and Emily -- and Lorelai "SNAPPED" -- There was absolutely nothing recongizable in Lorelai's life when that happened. From that point on, we have been viewing a different Lorelai -- and for that matter, during Season 5, we have been viewing a different Rory (why is it that the older Rory became, the writers made her more childish -- she was more responsible at the age of 16 (first season), then she was in college -- total regression).

If that indeed was the case for Lorelai, the writers did a piss-poor job in telling that story. I mean, how many years since all this bru-haha and we have people/fans with countless better ways these storylines could have been shown. It was as if nobody cared about the integrity of the show since Mid-Season 5.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

how different would gilmore girls be if Luke/Lorelei really married instead of breaking up the first time
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 10-11-2011, 07:59 PM
SPA
Master Fan

I chuckle that Lorelai found Luke grumpiness "alluring"