Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-26-2008, 09:21 PM
SPA
Master Fan

Aliens in America 1.15 – The Muslim Card ~ Episode Discussion (Spoiler Pictures)

Aliens in America 1.15 – The Muslim Card ~ Episode Discussion (Spoiler Pictures)

Quote:
SUNDAY, APRIL 27 -- "The Muslim Card"

RAJA GETS AN UNWELCOME GIRLFRIEND Raja befriends an annoying girl named Mindy (guest star Kala Savage, sister of Fred and Ben Savage), feeling that she is unfairly ostracized by the other students. After spending a day studying with her, Raja realizes how truly annoying Mindy can be and is horrified when Justin tells him Mindy believes she and Raja are dating. Trying to let her down gently, Raja tells Mindy they cannot date because of their religious differences. The next day, Mindy shows up in a burka and tells Raja she has converted to Islam so they can be together, forcing Raja to tell her the truth. Meanwhile, Gary and Franny hit it off with the new neighbors Ted and Leslie, but are shocked when Ted tells them he must notify all this neighbors that he is a registered sex offender. Linda Mancuso directed the episode written by Emily Kapnek.

Ooohh boy. This is the episode that we thought was going to be the “Bob, Carol, Ted and Alice” episode. This ought to be a good one all the way around!!!
I'm always in Scott's corner.

Last edited by SPA; 04-26-2008 at 09:32 PM
Old 04-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Obsessed Fan

The third picture, Gary and Franny's expressions are priceless. (And lovin' the green shirt)
Old 04-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Addicted Fan

Slight spoiler maybe..

Anyone else think Mindy looks a little like Scott's (former?) Girlfriend??
We are going to be rocking through the night here Smokey!"
So join us at the NCIS board!
Old 04-27-2008, 06:03 PM
SPA
Master Fan

I really missed this show for 4 weeks without a new episode. Again, no commercials about Aliens until right before the show was on.

Who was more cute?? Raja or Gary? Toss up – can’t decide. Is it me, or does Adhir look “older” now? He’s losing his baby looks!!! Easily pass for a college student, on the ‘iffy’ as a high school student.

Gary telling a joke? Tooth-hurty?? Justin is a good judge of character?? Justin annoyed me in this episode – he really doesn’t play the superior role very well. Maybe it’s his hair.

I agree about Mindy though – total ditz and just wanted someone to call her own, but Raja didn’t want the job – and I didn’t blame him. Why is it that the people who mean well, are the ones left in situations just like that – and Raja has had his fair share of these situations in a lot of episodes.

Best line of the night (and it didn't come from any of the regulars) -- Mindy: “I found Allah” Brad or Chad (whoever he is) asks: “Where was he?”

I loved Claire’s hair in this eppy. What was the movie she was watching???

Interesting concept about the sex offender issue. I loved the look on Gary when he looked at Franny and held her hand at the restaurant.

Kudos to Franny for trying to make up for her judgment of their new neighbors.

And one big “whoa” to Ted for judging Raja as “those people” – and triple kudos to Gary for calling a spade a spade.

It was an interesting twist to the sex offender issue – and we knew exactly what was coming to Mindy from the get-go – good for Raja.

And I've noticed that they have indeed juggled episodes around. Franny is wearing a Christmas/winter apron when baking the cake. And the weather is again snowy and wintry. Little details that doesn't have any continuity. Maybe we could play a game to find out what the original sequence was for Aliens. Ought to be fun to figure that out.

It was a cute episode!! Glad we have our show back with new eppys!!!

Last edited by SPA; 04-27-2008 at 09:08 PM
Old 04-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Obsessed Fan

Well it was a funny episode. Not one of my favorites, but not bad.

I see that Mindy was a pain and Raja finally blew. Mindy was a bit pyscho, almost over the top.

I really like that Gary and Franny were understanding with the neighbors but that Gary defended Raja.

That made me proud.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Extreme Fan

It was snowy where we left off - at 100,000 miles!

My fave line was Mindy's Mom to Raja - "Just give us our daughter back!"

100% ITA SPA - the allegedly "nominal" sex offender complaining about not knowing there's a Muslim in the hood ... that's what's called chutzpah!! (Granted - Mindy in the black burka - "scary" + what a hoot! )
As promised by Scott in the early eps., Gary and Franny are going to grow. And by starting the very first scene with a really cringeworthy ethnic joke - they're not growing too fast. Lots of room for more eps., alas.

p.s. lulu - comment similar to what I said at the end - not one of my faves but still a really good episode.
p.p.s. SPA - thx for bringing over the spoiler pix!
Avi by a former Albanian c. 1980s. I wrote the pain down, got off and looked up. Looked into your eyes. The lost open windows all around; my dark heart lit up the skies. {..} Give up the ground under your feet. Hold on to nothing for good. Turn and run at the mean times chasing you. Stand alone and misunderstood. Now that I've worn ... I've worn out the world, I'm on my knees in fascination - looking through the night. And the moon's never seen me before, but I'm reflecting light!
Old 04-28-2008, 12:50 PM
SPA
Master Fan

Awww, thanx, Karen -- however I cannot take the credit. Thanx to Susi !!! Where she finds Scott pictures is beyond me, but am sooo grateful that she does -- Snaps and kudos go all to her.

And I understood Franny's position from the git-go and was sympathetic to her concerns. It was quite a jolt to be told that without any warning and her first reaction / facial expressions was on the normal side, I think.

Since this is a 30 minute (actually 20-22) show, we were not able to see the interaction between Gary and Franny on this issue. What struck me was Gary's acceptance of the plausible explanation to Franny's "not-so-fast" reasoning (trust but verify -- Ronnie Reagan).

Since Justin and Franny are a lot alike, an alternative ending would have been to see both Gary and Franny go to Ted and Leslie's house to delivery the cake and then find out together what a bigot Ted is -- and for Franny to say: "You see, I knew there was something not right about that guy!! (just like Justin would say -- being such a good judge of character) and totally ignoring the sex offender charge.

I still liked the "swingers" storyline better though -- wish I may, wish I might....

And if each of the regular actors get paid by the episode, then Lindsey made out like a bandit from last night's episode!!!

Has anyone ever met in high school, college or afterwards anyone just as annoying as Mindy??? Geez-o-flip!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Obsessed Fan

I didn't find Justin annoying, I guess he knew Mindy propably from other years in school, so he knew first hand she was a bit out there. Raja was just trying to be nice, but sometimes peope just can't take a hint.

I think Franny reacted normally as far as she was shocked at first, but when she saw how he was treated in the resturant, she felt bad.

But it just shows that everyone and I mean everyone has a bit of intolerance for someone or something.

But yay for Gary for denfending Raja. I think he is the kind of guy that even though he may say insensitive things sometimes to his family, no one else can talk crap about them.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Total Fan

I can't believe I missed the episode. I was visiting my cousin and forgot to re set my DVR. I am so upset!

I just want you to know I'm in. I am all in.

Michelle
Old 04-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Obsessed Fan

Michelle, you can probably get it on i-tunes or something. I'm sure there is a way to see it.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Extreme Fan

Michelle, the director's cut might be on tvguide.com - I thought I saw a link to the video today when I was checking out upcoming SP listings....
Avi by a former Albanian c. 1980s. I wrote the pain down, got off and looked up. Looked into your eyes. The lost open windows all around; my dark heart lit up the skies. {..} Give up the ground under your feet. Hold on to nothing for good. Turn and run at the mean times chasing you. Stand alone and misunderstood. Now that I've worn ... I've worn out the world, I'm on my knees in fascination - looking through the night. And the moon's never seen me before, but I'm reflecting light!